Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010
Full verbatim? Now no longer mad at my computer for breaking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darkwolf220
May 14, 2009

SOON :stare:

How long does it typically take to hear back from DT? It has been a week now and not a peep :ohdear:

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
Hey DT guys, check it out: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3662164

This is way funnier than it should be.

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Sep 14, 2014

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Old Boot posted:

Hey DT guys, check it out: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3662164

This is way funnier than it should be.

FUUUUUUUUUCK YOUUUUUUUUU

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Shima Honnou posted:

FUUUUUUUUUCK YOUUUUUUUUU

I honestly would love to create a forum where we can talk about all the fake poo poo without ruining our NDA's, because holy poo poo.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
I could never train Dragon to spit out Ty'Esha, it would just keep giving me tiny ship.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Shima Honnou posted:

I could never train Dragon to spit out Ty'Esha, it would just keep giving me tiny ship.

I said TY as letters, then went back to replace all the instances.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

It's always amusing seeing a show you've worked on and seeing just how the raw footage gets twisted and spun into what you see on the screen. A while back I worked on that dating show for plus-sized women -- can't recall the name of it -- and it was downright diabolical what the producers would do. They'd interview a girl for an hour, and in the last 15 minutes just pelt her with emotionally loaded stuff like "do you ever worry you'll never find a man" or "do you think this might be your only shot at love" until they got tears -- and that fifteen seconds of tears would be the only thing that made air. There were one or two that were legitimate basket cases, but the vast majority of them were way more together than they came across as on the show.

Another time, a producer spent an hour fifteen trying to get this one girl to say something that could be twisted into "it made me feel like a princess." She absolutely balked every time, but he finally tricked her into saying something they could use and she was furious. :)

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Yeah, there's a reason I don't refer to producers as people when I compare transcription and captioning (The difference being people will actually see the captioning work).

The funny thing is, I've noticed while doing the captioning that if they can't get someone to say what they want, they'll just have the sound engineers splice together, often haphazardly, the sentence the producer wanted anyway.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
I believe they call those Frankenbytes :zombie:

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

I believe they call those Frankenbytes :zombie:

Yes [audible snip] I do [audible snip] think s- [audible snip] i'm gay

Spartan421
Jul 5, 2004

I'd love to lay you down.
Load me up on that Ink Master poo poo baby. That stuff is easy money. I love the airplane every 3 minutes.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
I've done like over 1,000 minutes of it and I can't stand any more. If I have to transcribe some guy's 20 minute story about, I don't know, how awesome walrus penises is again or whatever, I'm gonna have to shoot myself.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Out of curiosity what kind of stuff are you guys actually transcribing/captioning? I got linked to this thread from somewhere else, I work as a captioner full-time and would not be averse to getting extra bucks in my spare time.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

freebooter posted:

Out of curiosity what kind of stuff are you guys actually transcribing/captioning? I got linked to this thread from somewhere else, I work as a captioner full-time and would not be averse to getting extra bucks in my spare time.

PM me.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

freebooter posted:

Past couple days I've been doing medical stuff, interviews about processes and suchlike. Most of the time I do TV type stuff, once in a while a movie. Over at DT I did some ridiculous interviews yesterday about flow state that sounded more like everyone wasn't describing "flow" so much as they were describing their last LSD trip. All kinds of crap about how flow is everything and yet nothing, man, and totally outside of time and you can hear and feel everything, but it's only real flow if there's no witnesses otherwise they harsh your buzz.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

About 90 percent of my work these days is super-rush interviews for the Japanese news agency NHK. Outside of that, I'll occasionally do as-broadcast episodes of TV shows, typically reality or true crime. Lately though I've been writing way more than I have been transcribing. It comes and goes.

If you get into transcription, you're going to see a lot of reality TV.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
I would argue that transcribing reality isn't nearly as bad as captioning it, since the talking head poo poo is usually a fairly controlled thing which can be long and probably boring sure, but it's not usually chaotic, while a 45m episode can have enough words to qualify as a short story and generally it's at least two people or more trying to talk over one another or speaking at weird volumes so you can't understand half of what they say immediately. Game shows are also pretty common, especially this time of year it seems, but those are super hit or miss. I've worked on... what is it? Either three or four different game shows. One is a bit bad for actually catching all the words since there's a lot of talking that goes on against the crowd and often over one another, while the others were fairly pleasant about that. But game shows also have the advantages of being more naturally fun and exciting than as well as self-contained (You want the name of a contestant? BAM you got it, right there on the screen! Who's the host? He comes out and tells you right away! By the end of the episode everyone but the host has hosed off and you don't have to worry about poo poo!) than a piece of reality TV.

Still, I enjoy the gently caress out of the job aside from the odd requirement here or there. Even got my own show, which is cool and I really should go back and watch through the earlier seasons 'cause I'm getting into it now :v:

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010
I do the same as these guys as well as a lot of social work, and police interviews, as well as some closed captioning file prep for translators. So normal CC stuff, but with tiny increment timecoding so they can line up the subtitles right.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
I've done a lot of corporate stuff. I've done a number of corporate reviews and interviews about how project progress is going, that they of thing. I've also done some insurance stuff, including claims investigating and such.

At the end of the day, though, the work is ridiculously varied. Like, my earliest 6 assignments from DT were a reality interview, a corporate review, speeches from a conference, sermons, someone talking at ridiculous length about themselves which was apparently for their dissertation or something, and insurance claim investigation.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

Yeah, it's the variety of the work I've always liked. One of my favorite jobs, which I'm sure I've mentioned before, was a recording a grad student made of an interview for some project or dissertation or something. Interview with an older man, incredibly well-spoken, familiar voice. I'm going through listening to the details of his life and his philosophy and all of a sudden I realize I'm listening to Sidney Poitier talk about life and death and getting paid for it. It was an absolutely amazing hour of tape.

Another one that was a pretty breathtaking project was a documentary about Vietnam. Again, I wasn't really sure of the context until the guy started dropping names that sounded familiar and all of a sudden he's talking about shooting a kid and I realize I'm listening to someone who was at My Lai and there's no way I'm going to bed until the job's over with. It was a gut-wrenching interview, and by the end of it I could really understand how that kind of thing could happen -- not condone or excuse it in any sense, don't get me wrong, but I could understand how those guys got so hosed up that they could do what they did.

Of course, for every gem like those two there's hundreds of hours of "the guy whose claim to fame is he once slept with Snooki and wants his own reality show" so you take what you can get. :)

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
One really interesting project I had was two interviews. The first one was a friend and somewhat caretaker of a dead artist, telling her story about his life (In particular how a Colombian I think mail-order bride basically duped and abused him in his final days for what money he had), but she talked at a rate of at most 20 words per minute, which was crazy slow and super easy to revoice. The second interview in that file was another artist who basically told HIS entire life story, although he was asked to talk about the dead guy (It took him like 15 minutes to get that far, going over literally his entire life until he finally met the guy the first time). Can't remember either artsts' name now, unfortunately.

I haven't had any docs about 'Nam yet, which is a shame because that whole war is one of the things I studied as a college course, but I did get a really interesting, extremely Lynchian movie once which I'm probably gonna buy when it comes on sale.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
I remember getting one about http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lancet_surveys_of_Iraq_War_casualties this study, from one of the guys who was doing the interviews for it. It was pretty intense, and probably one of my favorites.

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

I had an interview with a plastic surgeon talking about his customer base and how he attracts clients. He sounded just like a used car salesman and spent most of the interview bemoaning how women were shopping around for the best doctor, which I get the feeling was not him.

One that really interested me was a group interview with a few of the first African-American students to go to this one university in the 1950's. They talked very openly about what went on and what their experience was like.

vvv Congrats!

ohnobugs fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Sep 17, 2014

district 12
Oct 19, 2004

muscles griffon~~
I completed my Lionbridge exam this morning, it seemed like the practice exams were a whole lot harder than the actual exams. I passed the first two sections which hopefully bodes well for the final! Thanks for the tips, thread :)

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I finally got around to trying out InqScribe after using Express Scribe for a month. I fiddled with it and got it all setup and it looks a lot nicer and no more manually putting in time codes, everything is going great. And then I get to the first cut in the video file, poo poo. How do you deal with those when lining up with the bitc?

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

counterfeitsaint posted:

I finally got around to trying out InqScribe after using Express Scribe for a month. I fiddled with it and got it all setup and it looks a lot nicer and no more manually putting in time codes, everything is going great. And then I get to the first cut in the video file, poo poo. How do you deal with those when lining up with the bitc?

If you need to change the BITC click on Media then in the Time Code box select Start at Custom Time and enter your new start time. You can also just blast through and adjust the timecodes later on, though I think that takes a little more futzing around.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

AuntBuck posted:

If you need to change the BITC click on Media then in the Time Code box select Start at Custom Time and enter your new start time. You can also just blast through and adjust the timecodes later on, though I think that takes a little more futzing around.

Yeah, that's easy enough, but the problem is when they stop shooting for a few minutes, so the bitc jumps several minutes, and it's no longer synched up. Going in and adding X seconds manually at every single cut would be insane in some of the longer files.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
So... I'm updating my wife's transcription computer.

We need a new USB headset!

1) Does a USB headset bypass any integrated/discrete sound cards? Research indicates yes, but I'm not sure yet. Another way to phrase the question: Will a great soundcard improve the sound coming through a USB headset?
2) Any good suggestions aside from the USB Spectra headset that she has been using for years now? Ambient noise is not a problem.

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

counterfeitsaint posted:

Yeah, that's easy enough, but the problem is when they stop shooting for a few minutes, so the bitc jumps several minutes, and it's no longer synched up. Going in and adding X seconds manually at every single cut would be insane in some of the longer files.

Yeah, I don't know of a way around that. Is it one of those cutting out every spare second of air time kind of files?

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

The way I do timecodes in InqScribe is thus:

I'll try to make this non-confusing, but it's a little hard to explain and I'm a bit punchy at the moment so feel free to ask me to clarify if I sound like an idiot. I'm going to talk about two different timecodes - one is the burned-in timecode on the screen, which is what your final transcript is going to have in it; the other is the dead-reckoning timecode from the beginning of the file that starts at 00:00:00.

The first thing I do is try to match the frame rate so that one second of the BITC equals one second of real time. Let's say the BITC starts at 01:00:00, and it starts rolling two seconds into the tape. When the BITC says 01:00:00, I hit the "Insert Current Time" shortcut and it drops a timecode that says [00:00:02]. I then fast forward to a point later in the tape, let's say 01:30:00 on the BITC, and hit the shortcut again. If the timecode it drops says [00:30:02] I'm golden, because 30 minutes has elapsed in both the burned-in timecode and dead-reckoning timecode. If it's off by a second or two, that means I don't have the frame rate right, so I have to adjust it and try again. If I can get one minute of the burned-in timecode to match one minute of real time, I know that in the end, all my timecodes will match up.

If the frame rate is right and there are no cuts, then I simply make a note at the beginning of the file -- in this case, "00:59:58" to let me know I need to batch-adjust the dead-reckoning time codes by that much to make them match what's on the screen. [00:00:02] becomes [01:00:00], [00:30:02] becomes [01:30:00] et cetera.

Now, when I drop the second timecode, if it's off by a significant amount, I know there was a cut. In that case, I try an earlier spot on the tape to try to get the frame rate right. Once I have that dialed in, I proceed as normal until I get to the spot where there's a cut. Let's say, using the above example still, that 15 minutes into the file the time code jumps ahead two minutes. [00:14:02] dead-reckoning matches 01:14:00 on the burned-in timecode, but [00:15:02] now has to match 01:17:00. What I do then is make an obvious break in the transcript and make a new timing note, this one reading "01:01:58". This means that all the timecodes before that point, I'll adjust by 00:59:58 to match the burned-in timecode, and everything after that point I'll adjust by 01:01:58 to add the extra two minutes to match what's on the screen. I then continue as normal. If there's another jump cut, I'll make another break and another offset notation.

Once I'm finished with this transcript, I then go back and highlight the first block of text and adjust the timecodes, making sure to select the "adjust selection only" box, and batch-adjust them by 00:59:58. Then I select the second block of text and batch-adjust it by 01:01:58, and so on. If the customer's not an rear end in a top hat, there should only be a couple of cuts maximum. Sometimes, unfortunately, they're an rear end in a top hat and you might be better off entering the BITC by hand every time. (I try not to take a second job from a customer that cuts out questions and dead air and still wants timecodes.)

kazmeyer fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Sep 18, 2014

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Best thing about a focus group full of IT nerds - when the moderator steps out of the room for a sec, they don't jibber jabber amongst themselves cause everyone goes right to their smart phones.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

Oh, Jesus. I just had to work a movie that was so loving schmaltzy. Someone point me at a video of two bums fighting with flaming baseball bats or something.

Actual phrase uttered by me, 45 minutes ago: "Oh, of course one of the orphans who's about to be kicked out on the street when the orphanage is foreclosed on has cancer."

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
If I were on the outside looking in, I would posit that it was satire that went over your head, but I know it's not true :smith: I remember giving a really bad comedy movie to a contractor (pretty sure it was a goon actually) who said something along the lines of "I'm sure this film will go down in the annals of film history as one of the greats"

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

Pretty much the only thing they were missing was a plucky little dog that helps save the day and I'm sure the writer was kicking himself for forgetting it.

Although I have, actually, done a "dogs save Christmas" movie before. And a horror movie based around the legend of Paul Bunyan. Like, seriously.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
I got to do a Lynchian movie about a dude trying to get over his problems and his being a natural outcast due to his race before. Pretty good movie compared to what it could have been. I still want to get that when they actually get it up for sale one of these days.

Pixotic
Jan 14, 2008

He could be in this very room!
He could be
you!
He could be
me!
He could even b:commissar:
Hello homeworkers!

This seems like it would be a good place to ask; I'm looking for a new landline phone, one which works nicely with phone headsets. Also, a headset. Can you guess what line of work I'm getting into? :haw:

I'm in the UK, if this makes a difference.

There's a buncha phones available and were it not for the headset requirement I would just buy the first thing that took my fancy, but I know next to nothing about headset compatability so any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks thread!

Zorblack
Oct 8, 2008

And with strange aeons, even death may eat a burrito with goons.
Lipstick Apathy

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

If I were on the outside looking in, I would posit that it was satire that went over your head, but I know it's not true :smith: I remember giving a really bad comedy movie to a contractor (pretty sure it was a goon actually) who said something along the lines of "I'm sure this film will go down in the annals of film history as one of the greats"

It was like Wolf of Wall Street's developmentally disabled cousin! I wanted my money back, and I was being paid to watch it .

Seriously though, the audio was clean, and there wasn't a lot of weird jargon, so it was honestly a great gig. It was the very definition of "I would never watch this, but I love transcribing it." That's apparently an universal experience for us.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Crossposting from the job openings thread in BFC...

Maybe a long shot, but are there any Swift users out there?

Position: Closed caption/subtitle editor

General Criteria:
Transcribe, research, and proofread for television and web programs
Use email, download media and other materials through web browser and/or File Transfer Protocol software
Return assigned projects in a timely manner in the specified format

Rate: $3.50/media minute, generally $1+ more for rush jobs

Position Requirements:
Broad knowledge base
Native English speaker
High-level command of English language spelling and punctuation
High-speed internet connection
A computer with word processing and spreadsheet programs
Swift Line 21 version 4 or higher.
(We are not currently considering users of WinCAPS or other subtitle creation programs.)

Preferred Skills:
Caption editing experience for a video post-production house
Transcription experience
Both Roll-up and Pop-on experience
Placement-style Pop-on experience a plus

PM me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Man, that's a good price. Not ready for the jump from gruntwork to editing and timing yet, though, no experience with any of the programs or whatever for that part.