Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Anyone else on this MS Hyper-V training? This Corey guy is talking about poo poo that's waaaaaay over my head holy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

This poo poo is the real deal. Very technical.

e: I'm in a R2 environment and enhanced guest services (basically cut and paste from the host to guest console session) is pretty neat.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I registered, but I couldn't even sign in earlier today so I gave up.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Yeah, it was totally hosed but you can get in now. I did find it amusing on the first hour: Azure for IT upsale.

e: 1 hour lunch. Still surprised, it might actually be sufficient to pass the test!

incoherent fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Nov 19, 2013

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
So I'm going through the Sybex VCP-510 book and I think I made the wrong choice. This stuff is written like old-school unhelpful MS Press. "This chapter covers X. Y is a component of X. Here is an explanation of what Y is and does. Here are use cases for Y. Here is how to do and un-do Y in exercises. I have now explained Y. Z is a component of X..." etc.

It's less cert prep, more technical manual. Oh well... at least prospective takers might know from this. Shoulda done the Mastering VCP5 book.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

For those in on the hyper-v traning, here is the pdf of Day 1 slides.

The highlight for me was the virtual switch and SDN, and the hyper-v replicas.

edit: They announced they had over 5,000 people watching the entire stream. Fairly impressive.

incoherent fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Nov 20, 2013

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Uh, so can someone explain to me in english what exactly is happening with GNS3 now? Is it going to be a paid product or something? Or is it going to be free and only the people who ponied up on the kickstarter or whatever are going to get early access to the app?

The Dreamer
Oct 15, 2013

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
Passed my Network+ today. Gonna start on the Security+ next. Anyone know if the Professor Messer Security+ videos are worth watching?

Protokoll
Mar 28, 2003

Here we go Lina.
Here we go Lina.
COME ON, LINA!

Martytoof posted:

Uh, so can someone explain to me in english what exactly is happening with GNS3 now? Is it going to be a paid product or something? Or is it going to be free and only the people who ponied up on the kickstarter or whatever are going to get early access to the app?

The latter. They are going to attempt to compete with CML (formerly VIRL) in the emulated routing/switching space next year. The program will be free, but they will sell premium modules (security, certification training labs, etc.) to turn a profit and fund further development/support.

I love GNS3, so I donated a bunch of money to them. I think CML is going to be much more useful product for my actual job, especially if it emulates IOS-XR worth a drat. Still, I use GNS3 almost every day to confirm technology behavior before I propose production changes for peer review and for most of my training/fun troubleshooting labs.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Holy poo poo you should not condense all of system center virtual machine manager into one day. One stutter in the video meant I good chunk of information and god help you if you looked away.

At least System Center is just one product and ships with a full version of SQL server 2012 standard.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

TBH I would be fine with paying ~$100 for a program that could run IOS-XR and/or emulate ASIC switching.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

incoherent posted:

Holy poo poo you should not condense all of system center virtual machine manager into one day. One stutter in the video meant I good chunk of information and god help you if you looked away.

At least System Center is just one product and ships with a full version of SQL server 2012 standard.

The videos will be available on the 27th to download and rewatch which is what I plan on doing, because I just couldn't sit there for 7 hours both days and pay attention while at work.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

psydude posted:

TBH I would be fine with paying ~$100 for a program that could run IOS-XR and/or emulate ASIC switching.

I am going to donate as well, but I hope they make more progress on supporting other vendors (Juniper) more easily.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

H.R. Paperstacks posted:

I am going to donate as well, but I hope they make more progress on supporting other vendors (Juniper) more easily.

After going through the headache of building a VirtalBox application with JunOS on it, I treat that file like gold, and just make copies of it to work with. But, with an OVA file, Juniper + GNS3 is relatively painless.

I gave Stephen my money because GNS3 has been the most valuable product I can think of when it comes to learning networking. When I saw the word "switching", I literally didn't even read the rest of the sentence and just clicked "contribute".

Haydez
Apr 8, 2003

EVIL LINK
Same here. I contributed as soon as I saw it. I used it a lot for the CCNA and all of the CCNP Security stuff (minus IPS obviously) and it was gold. I've been thinking of heading to CCNP R&S after I finish up the VCP and CCNA Voice so having switching is a dream come true.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Pretty hefty discount from groupon today for this course http://ituonline.com/cisco-online-training-certification-bundle-it-university-online/

No idea if it's any good but its $99 instead of the usual ~$3000

https://www.groupon.com/deals/it-university-online-ca-1-victoria

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
Nope, not that great. I gave it a shot and it's just dry video lectures. You're better off with CBT Nuggets or good books.

echo465
Jun 3, 2007
I like ice cream

Martytoof posted:

Thanks for the heads up, I got the very last early bird premium package.

pass the butter
Mar 22, 2006

OH MY GOD

Alctel posted:

Pretty hefty discount from groupon today for this course http://ituonline.com/cisco-online-training-certification-bundle-it-university-online/

No idea if it's any good but its $99 instead of the usual ~$3000

https://www.groupon.com/deals/it-university-online-ca-1-victoria

The practice tests there are garbage. Buggy as hell. Please do not buy.

ToG
Feb 17, 2007
Rory Gallagher Wannabe
Just passed icnd2. Pass mark was insane at 825 and I felt not enough new content was tested (I failed the old icnd2 a few months back). Some of the sims gave me a show run which let me breeze through

Edit: my advice for test takers is to study everything. I had some preconception of what would be heavy on the exam and focused on it whereas a more balanced approach would be best.

ToG fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Nov 25, 2013

Tasty Wheat
Jul 18, 2012

Haydez posted:

Same here. I contributed as soon as I saw it. I used it a lot for the CCNA and all of the CCNP Security stuff (minus IPS obviously) and it was gold. I've been thinking of heading to CCNP R&S after I finish up the VCP and CCNA Voice so having switching is a dream come true.

I gave money and I have not used GNS3 since I did ASA stuff over a year ago (I still have a rack of hardware at home)

The Man From Melmac
Sep 8, 2008
So I've never done this Certification stuff before. I don't have a college degree, and I currently work at a Xerox Call Center. My thinking is, since I work for Xerox, which is essentially an information security company, I should get the CompTIA Security+ certification and try to move to the corporate branch ASAP.

Is this a good idea?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Benjamin Black posted:

So I've never done this Certification stuff before. I don't have a college degree, and I currently work at a Xerox Call Center. My thinking is, since I work for Xerox, which is essentially an information security company, I should get the CompTIA Security+ certification and try to move to the corporate branch ASAP.

Is this a good idea?

I'd focus less on what your company needs and more on what you like doing. Internal promotions can be a nice boost every now and then (especially for making the jump from help desk/desktop to Sysadmin), but the only way to reliably move up in this industry is to move between organizations.

Shape your education around that, and you'll have no issues finding jobs at other firms.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

I'm going through the CBT nuggets CCNA stuff and I gotta say, the guy doing it is really good. I can actually watch his videos without wanting to mentally switch off after two minutes

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

Alctel posted:

I'm going through the CBT nuggets CCNA stuff and I gotta say, the guy doing it is really good. I can actually watch his videos without wanting to mentally switch off after two minutes

Jeremy IIRC, his videos are great and he makes it almost fun to watch.

ToG
Feb 17, 2007
Rory Gallagher Wannabe
While I agree just be aware that he doesn't always go into enough detail and a book is essential.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

ToG posted:

While I agree just be aware that he doesn't always go into enough detail and a book is essential.

Yup I went through Odom first.

PeppysDilz
Oct 9, 2011

The Dreamer posted:

Passed my Network+ today. Gonna start on the Security+ next. Anyone know if the Professor Messer Security+ videos are worth watching?

I used Professor Messer's videos as a supplement for N+ and S+. Great free resource in my opinion. I used the exam cram materials and Darril Gibson's book for Security+, AIO is overkill for that cert. It's an easy certification but IMO it is far more practical than CISSP for entry level security jobs (I have both).

The Dreamer
Oct 15, 2013

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

PeppysDilz posted:

I used Professor Messer's videos as a supplement for N+ and S+. Great free resource in my opinion. I used the exam cram materials and Darril Gibson's book for Security+, AIO is overkill for that cert. It's an easy certification but IMO it is far more practical than CISSP for entry level security jobs (I have both).

Thanks for the response. I used his videos for the N+ but they are pretty dry so I just wanted an opinion before I started watching them. Sadly I have to wait until the end of December before I can get a slot to test. Stupid winter breaks. At least I'll have plenty of time to study I guess. CISSP requires you to actually have documented experience in security doesn't it?

To Vex a Stranger
Mar 15, 2004
Rawr!
I just finished up my MCSE in Desktop Infrastructure, after spending about 8 months studying and taking tests. I'm proud of it too, as it's all stuff that I actually do in the real world so I feel like I know my stuff (despite some of the exam questions being like 'when you click the advanced tab, what options do you see?' So glad Microsoft has little to no quality control on these questions). I work as an IT consultant doing System center work and XP to 7/8 migrations. But now all I can think is 'now what?'

And I don't mean that from a certification standpoint. I've got a Masters of Science in Information systems, and feel like I'm far over qualified for my low end consulting job right now. I know the real way to make moves is to switch companies, but the question is how? Where? When?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

PeppysDilz posted:

I might have to break down and get my CISSP once my CCNP is done purely for resume reasons. What's the recommended courseware so I can begin sending people nasty emails for using thumb drives?

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

To Vex a Stranger posted:

I just finished up my MCSE in Desktop Infrastructure, after spending about 8 months studying and taking tests. I'm proud of it too, as it's all stuff that I actually do in the real world so I feel like I know my stuff (despite some of the exam questions being like 'when you click the advanced tab, what options do you see?' So glad Microsoft has little to no quality control on these questions). I work as an IT consultant doing System center work and XP to 7/8 migrations. But now all I can think is 'now what?'

And I don't mean that from a certification standpoint. I've got a Masters of Science in Information systems, and feel like I'm far over qualified for my low end consulting job right now. I know the real way to make moves is to switch companies, but the question is how? Where? When?

Best thing to do is make sure your resume and Linkedin profile are up to spec - if you're not too sure about yours there are dudes on SA-Mart who do both and are good at what they do.

Set up a profile on Dice, Monster, and Hotjobs. Upload your resume. Check out the major tech recruiters - Robert Half sucks but I think they're everywhere. Teksystems is good people. I know a bunch in the NY metro area if you're in NY/NJ.

VMware is good to have... I have an MCSA and while Hyper-V does a lot better with each iteration of Windows, VMware is still the king of the bunch. Get on the waitlist for the Stanly Community College VCP course, do the exercises, and after $185 and eight weeks you'll be eligible to sit the VCP exam. At that point you can probably punch your own ticket.

ToG
Feb 17, 2007
Rory Gallagher Wannabe
I'm thinking about offloading my Cisco home lab to raise funds for some microsoft certifications I want to take. I figure some of the people here might have experience with purchasing such gear so do you think I'm better selling each device/module individually or selling the whole thing as a CCNA/CCNA: Voice lab?

edit: It's two 2950s, a 2600 and two 2600XMs running 12.4. T1/E1 cards, BRI cards, Wic-1ts, Voice cards and a basic audio rack.

ToG fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Dec 2, 2013

ElvisG
Aug 18, 2004
ToG, I would sell it. For the CCNA, all you need is Packet Tracer. The 2950's are only good for CCNA. For CCNP, you will want 3550 or 3560.

MJP, I just want to bring up that Stanly CC is a year wait to take that course. I signed up in Sept and still haven't heard anything. I expect to take the course Fall 2014. Summer VCP class will filled and ready to go by Jan or Feb.

ToG
Feb 17, 2007
Rory Gallagher Wannabe
Yes but should I sell the lot as one unit or sell each router/switch/card individually. I have my CCNA and can probably get by with gns3 for a while.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

ElvisG posted:

MJP, I just want to bring up that Stanly CC is a year wait to take that course. I signed up in Sept and still haven't heard anything. I expect to take the course Fall 2014. Summer VCP class will filled and ready to go by Jan or Feb.

If you email Jana Kennedy (jkennedy7709@stanly.edu) and ask if there's an idea as to when you'll be able to take the course, hopefully that'll help. I was surprised when I asked her if she knew when I took my course, she said I should have been emailed - my number came up and I did the course.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

ElvisG posted:

ToG, I would sell it. For the CCNA, all you need is Packet Tracer. The 2950's are only good for CCNA. For CCNP, you will want 3550 or 3560.

Also keep in mind the newest version of Packet Tracer has a 3560 model, but some of the features that you'd need for SWITCH (either that or CCNA Security, I'm mixing them up) aren't implemented.

Haydez
Apr 8, 2003

EVIL LINK

MJP posted:

If you email Jana Kennedy (jkennedy7709@stanly.edu) and ask if there's an idea as to when you'll be able to take the course, hopefully that'll help. I was surprised when I asked her if she knew when I took my course, she said I should have been emailed - my number came up and I did the course.

And also make sure to whitelist @stanly.edu or frequently check your spam folder.

I'm in the current course and have been done with the labs for like two weeks now. I think the course is over but I'm not even sure. There's been like 2 e-emails from the instructor and the discussion forums never even opened up for the course. Don't think I learned anything from the course but hey, at least I can sit for the VCP.

pass the butter
Mar 22, 2006

OH MY GOD

QPZIL posted:

Also keep in mind the newest version of Packet Tracer has a 3560 model, but some of the features that you'd need for SWITCH (either that or CCNA Security, I'm mixing them up) aren't implemented.

I don't see a lot of chatter about the Boson Netsim product. Expensive but it is designed for the CCNA and CCNP tests as well. Just curious what you guys think, I got it awhile ago and I feel like it's helped me quite a big. The price still beats the heck out of buying the actual hardware, although obviously the actual hw would still be better to study with.

Just curious as to what the general opinion of Netsim was in here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

workape
Jul 23, 2002

Agatsu posted:

I don't see a lot of chatter about the Boson Netsim product. Expensive but it is designed for the CCNA and CCNP tests as well. Just curious what you guys think, I got it awhile ago and I feel like it's helped me quite a big. The price still beats the heck out of buying the actual hardware, although obviously the actual hw would still be better to study with.

Just curious as to what the general opinion of Netsim was in here.

It's a pretty good product that helped while working on my NP. Can't really use it to emulate a large scale network, but if you are using it for studying it was a good tool.