Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Cheston posted:

If people want to do a blind run of the (probably easy) Nightmare filth thingy, I'll be avoiding it for the next few hours. You know who you are, mumble crew.

If you haven't done it by then I'll be home and available to play around 7pm est.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I'm down. I'll be home soon...ish

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Maybe if I actually played Mafia, I'd get a better gift from my Mafia Secret Santa. :(
I'll be home in an hour or so. Very curious about this thing.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
With Rasheed, that's five. Sounds good.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Zephonith posted:

I'll be home in an hour or so. Very curious about this thing.

I fully expect it to be as mediocre as the Halloween dungeon and hopefully not as lazy as the Mayan dungeon.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
The Mayan dungeon was just fine. Don't be daft.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

I'd forgotten about Saturated Stonehenge. Gotta love Freaky Sky Things.

**Okay, now I need people who won't bail on a blind nightmare run because they're afraid of failure.

****IT WAS EASY AND PLEASANT

Cheston fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Oct 19, 2013

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Toshimo posted:

The Mayan dungeon was just fine. Don't be daft.

Except the boss was Melothat with a different move set and the same hit detection bugs.

Cheston posted:

I'd forgotten about Saturated Stonehenge. Gotta love Freaky Sky Things.

**Okay, now I need people who won't bail on a blind nightmare run because they're afraid of failure.

****IT WAS EASY AND PLEASANT

Yes it was but that doesn't change the fact that Funcom could have easily put in some sort of insta-death mechanic related to some tooltip you can't read. The mayan boss had adds that did damage and lowered your max hp. I seem to remember the halloween fight having some insta-fail thing based around adds but I could be wrong about that. But yes you were right this particular one was easy. Although the normal drops purples and the nightmare doesn't.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

A TSW forums pubbie posted:

A M A Z I N G !! Can't wait!
Why?
Well:
- Finally lots of things to do. It will be a really big grind to get them all!
- Runes and ressources finally get more value!
- My char can be further improved after reaching 100% skill wheel and 10.4/.5 equipe

I love it!

Thanks, FC!

tsw-pubbies.txt

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Brain In A Jar posted:

tsw-pubbies.txt

It's weird to say it like that, but I do sort of agree with it. I want things that can be aimed for, that I will use, and the longer that keeps me busy the better.

It's part of why Final Fantasy V is my favorite game. There's so much to work towards, and it's all useful, so you'll never really be at a loss for stuff to do.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Cleretic posted:

It's weird to say it like that, but I do sort of agree with it. I want things that can be aimed for, that I will use, and the longer that keeps me busy the better.

It's part of why Final Fantasy V is my favorite game. There's so much to work towards, and it's all useful, so you'll never really be at a loss for stuff to do.

I want Funcom to hire you, put you in a room, and then implement 100% the opposite of everything you tell them to do.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

guppy posted:

I want Funcom to hire you, put you in a room, and then implement 100% the opposite of everything you tell them to do.

The problem with the mantra of 'every game should be more like Final Fantasy V' is that most RPG developers are only good enough to make Final Fantasy III.

This is a comparison too perfect for me to rewrite for accessibility.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Neat, my game client just crashed with an out of memory error and now it's re-downloading 2GB of data.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

guppy posted:

I agree with this fully.

Clairetic
Nov 3, 2008

I don't even know my own credit card information.

Len posted:

1) What's your hit rating?
2) Are you taking fever pitch?

1) Not high enough, since that would require me to have more than a couple healrating or HP pieces with hit on them.
2) No and I'm hardly ever hitting them anyway; it's enough of a struggle keeping my HP from plummeting too quickly when I leave the nodes.

Maybe I'm just not geared enough for healtanking? The first 4 bosses hit like normal mobs by comparison though.

Cleretic posted:

The problem with the mantra of 'every game should be more like Final Fantasy V' is that most RPG developers are only good enough to make Final Fantasy III.

This is a comparison too perfect for me to rewrite for accessibility.
Then I'll reciprocate by calling you a Gregtech fanboy.

Clairetic fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Oct 19, 2013

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Cleretic posted:

No it isn't. The problem with that mantra is that no one besides you wants that.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Honestly, what I want from this is simply a consistent and useful thing to spend AP on. I don't want 'the grind', I just don't want to be in the situation where I keep getting AP, but don't have anything to spend it on that's going to be in any way useful. The ability wheel's not good enough, because frankly most of these abilities aren't very good.

My main worry is that the community's just going to turn augments into another arbitrary standard to hold people to. Barriers for entry are going to raise even higher, to the point where at best, we're going to see every team demanding at least a few basic augments for '17/18 and maybe Machine Tyrant too' runs. At worst, we'll be seeing another, even more painful incarnation of Cleanup Supremacy.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

I loaded up the game to play, it farted at me and wouldn't let me login, and now it's... downloading the entire client over :confused:

Are the servers down? I'm seeing a couple tweets about it.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Cleretic posted:

Honestly, what I want from this is simply a consistent and useful thing to spend AP on. I don't want 'the grind', I just don't want to be in the situation where I keep getting AP, but don't have anything to spend it on that's going to be in any way useful. The ability wheel's not good enough, because frankly most of these abilities aren't very good.

My main worry is that the community's just going to turn augments into another arbitrary standard to hold people to. Barriers for entry are going to raise even higher, to the point where at best, we're going to see every team demanding at least a few basic augments for '17/18 and maybe Machine Tyrant too' runs. At worst, we'll be seeing another, even more painful incarnation of Cleanup Supremacy.

None of this solves the problem of having to do the same poo poo for 20 years straight to get the AP for it. I am sincerely more likely to walk away from the game than to be hosed doing any of this.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

guppy posted:

None of this solves the problem of having to do the same poo poo for 20 years straight to get the AP for it. I am sincerely more likely to walk away from the game than to be hosed doing any of this.

I have a hope that the scenarios are going to give out incredible amounts of xp to make up for the grinds. If Funcom really expects me to go back to the signet mission farm train, they're probably right and I will but I'm going to hate it.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

So what's this new event dungeon thing?

Maybe I'll log Korva on and try it out, I've got nothing to play right now anyways. :v:

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Hipster Occultist posted:

PANTS

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

If I have to put on pants to play this thing then no deal. :colbert:

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

If I have to put on pants to play this thing then no deal. :colbert:

You've gotta wear pants to earn pants at these prices.

you run a dungeon to buy pants

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

It's barely a dungeon and barely worth doing.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm just worried about the rest of it, if it's only the second of four phases and we're already getting a five-man dungeon.

If this trend continues, the third phase will be a raid and the fourth will be Those loving Golems.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
This only counts as a dungeon in that it's instanced. It's a five-man run and gun. No real mechanics to deal with.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Cleretic posted:

I'm just worried about the rest of it, if it's only the second of four phases and we're already getting a five-man dungeon.

If this trend continues, the third phase will be a raid and the fourth will be Those loving Golems.

Did you expect anything better?

Clairetic
Nov 3, 2008

I don't even know my own credit card information.
You also can't summon people to them or meet up, like with every other everything ever. As I dismayingly discovered.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Huh. I wonder if Funcom thinks this will bring in more players.

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Maybe if I actually played Mafia, I'd get a better gift from my Mafia Secret Santa. :(

Len posted:

I actually saw the first movie based on the novel, and if it follows the same story, no it won't because girls don't exist on the internet. Yeah that's seriously the major plot twist. The trailer looked pretty different from what I remembered of the first movie, so hopefully they're changing large chunks of it.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Len posted:

I don't think I've seen or read about a single film with an even vaguely similar premise that didn't end with "the stranger on the internet was a pedophile, talking to strangers on the internet will literally kill you."

Cheston fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Oct 22, 2013

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

In this one (spoilers for a mediocre Belgian film from 6 years ago) it turned out she was a figment of his imagination and a coping mechanism due to being bullied, because Asperger's makes people hallucinate...? And he manages to get his parents to help him stage his own suicide.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Hah! Well, props if this ends up being at all more interesting. Regarding your spoiler, Zepho: Looks like the 'girl on the internet' is actually on the poster, so who knows. And it's based on a book? I can't seem to find information about this film anywhere on the internet, so maybe they're just similar premises?

**Oh, he flat-out states what it's based on in the interview. And in the original, the figment is actually played by someone. Never mind.

Cheston fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Oct 22, 2013

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Cheston posted:

I don't think I've seen or read about a single film with an even vaguely similar premise that didn't end with "the stranger on the internet was a pedophile, talking to strangers on the internet will literally kill you."

It doesn't have to end with you getting killed. You could also just end up super bullied when the girl is in on it. Usually it's murder though.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

I timed how long it takes to run both Filth instances with decent DPS, and even with the increased item prices, it still takes half as long to get the pet as it did when the solo instance was around. Something like four hours of play over the next 2-4 weeks, given the pace of the tentacles' dying. I might end up getting the pet.

Also, I passed 7k DPS earlier :dance: Now I just need to keep it up on a fight that's 50% longer, and I'll have beaten Rasheed-in-blue-signets.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Cheston posted:

I timed how long it takes to run both Filth instances with decent DPS, and even with the increased item prices, it still takes half as long to get the pet as it did when the solo instance was around. Something like four hours of play over the next 2-4 weeks, given the pace of the tentacles' dying. I might end up getting the pet.

Also, I passed 7k DPS earlier :dance: Now I just need to keep it up on a fight that's 50% longer, and I'll have beaten Rasheed-in-blue-signets.

Yeah it's really not that bad. I went from 16 to 61 yesterday playing sporadically. Unless your pubbies are a bunch of incompetent chucklefucks that is.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Len posted:

Yeah it's really not that bad. I went from 16 to 61 yesterday playing sporadically. Unless your pubbies are a bunch of incompetent chucklefucks that is.
I've only been doing it when other goons are around on weekends and I'm still going to be able to get all the fragments I need for the stuff that I actually want (which isn't much, admittedly) by casually running it a few times.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Len posted:

Do you know how many times I want to do that run? Once. The number of times I already did it. Actually, I did it twice because you locked me out of the final boss fight by mistake, and that was once too many. And frankly I'm not sure I even want to have done it once now that I know how lame it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

guppy posted:

Do you know how many times I want to do that run? Once. The number of times I already did it. Actually, I did it twice because you locked me out of the final boss fight by mistake, and that was once too many. And frankly I'm not sure I even want to have done it once now that I know how lame it is.

Oh please you KNOW you loved every minute of running down a hallway. The filth speedbumps, the filth trash explosions, the shade pulls. It's a super fun enjoyable experience.

• Locked thread