Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Picnic Princess posted:

drat, that's worse than the garbage I've been put through.

I had to set up a direct deposit account with my university because I got a temp job, and saw that I was required to drop a course I didn't have a prerequisite for that I planned to take in September. This course was offered once a year in the winter semester for the last 15 years, but they all of a sudden decided last April that it would be changed to fall. They were going to have the course this fall, skip next year, then offer it again in 2018, because since they offered it twice in one year, they were required to skip it once for some reason. I was lined up to do my practicum in September and October this year, but had to put that off to take that course they switched up so I wouldn't have to take a year off to graduate. Guess what the prerequisite is for the course? The practicum, of course! I e-mailed the department explaining my situation and thankfully a week later they dropped the prereq requirement and I'm still enrolled, but goddamn I was panicking for a while.

Sheesh. At least I expect to be able to clear this up by driving in and complaining this morning. Of course, today I need to start an online course where I have to complete as much of it as possible before regular classes start, so that's fun.

I'm kind of annoyed at how my college schedule courses like that as well (which I guess is true of everyone taking an involved degree). Almost all of my courses are offered in one semester each year and they seem to think that the fall semester is the time where they should schedule 16-18 credit hours and the spring semester is when you can take your electives. Except for the minor I'm interested in, I have to either take a three credit hour course in the fall or a six credit hour course in the spring. Which is why I'm going to attack a self-paced online course for one of my gen ed requirements as hard as I can in the twelve days before regular classes start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Picnic Princess posted:

drat, that's worse than the garbage I've been put through.

I had to set up a direct deposit account with my university because I got a temp job, and saw that I was required to drop a course I didn't have a prerequisite for that I planned to take in September. This course was offered once a year in the winter semester for the last 15 years, but they all of a sudden decided last April that it would be changed to fall. They were going to have the course this fall, skip next year, then offer it again in 2018, because since they offered it twice in one year, they were required to skip it once for some reason. I was lined up to do my practicum in September and October this year, but had to put that off to take that course they switched up so I wouldn't have to take a year off to graduate. Guess what the prerequisite is for the course? The practicum, of course! I e-mailed the department explaining my situation and thankfully a week later they dropped the prereq requirement and I'm still enrolled, but goddamn I was panicking for a while.

I may be in this boat as well. Embedded systems MDE has only been offered in the fall for as far back as I can dig up. I swear to gently caress if they change that in 2017 :doom:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

This is fun. Over the summer I participated in a lab workshop where I went through a tutorial on some basic processes and provided feedback. It was a good way to get a feel for some of the things I'm going to be doing this year and to get my hands a bit dirty. That was fine.

Turns out that the workshop was the test bed for a new basic training program for people taking labs in my major. And so when I turned up for lab I had to go through the tutorial that I already did multiple times over the summer (in the summer I was refining my work several times). And then it turns out that the other lab I have in my major is also going through the tutorial. And these tutorials are scheduled for the first two weeks of labs.

It could be worse, though. Some people have the labs for these courses right after each other. So they worked on this for three hours and then immediately got to start over again from the beginning.

(I have to mention this because I find it funny: the school's news outlet has absolutely no mention of the NLRB ruling yesterday that has a huge impact on how schools treat students. There is, however, a story about the possibility that a basketball player may be changing schools.)

Random Stranger has a new favorite as of 14:56 on Aug 24, 2016

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Textbook follies:

You know the textbook publishers are ripping you on a book you're required to have in order to access your homework when the new 10th edition (averaging an edition every two and half years, of course) describes modern electronic marvels including VCR's.

And you know you have a terrible geography textbook when it cites Microsoft Encarta for some its facts.

budgieinspector
Mar 24, 2006

According to my research,
these would appear to be
Budgerigars.

Returning to college after dropping out 20 years ago. Speech 101 prof has his syllabus and lectures up on his personal website, rather than one affiliated with the school. Among other choice items on the syllabus, he says that he will not lecture on the material, and will only communicate via e-mail.

This is for a regular, in-person class.

My Speech 101 professor sounds like he's afraid of public speaking.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

budgieinspector posted:

Returning to college after dropping out 20 years ago. Speech 101 prof has his syllabus and lectures up on his personal website, rather than one affiliated with the school. Among other choice items on the syllabus, he says that he will not lecture on the material, and will only communicate via e-mail.

Or they want to be there even less than you do :v:

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

budgieinspector posted:

I had an anthropology teacher in CC who would not look at the class when she was lecturing. Swear to atheist jesus, this woman would look at the ceiling and lecture. When I talked to her, she would have to back way up because I was significantly taller than her, and she might've accidentally looked me in the eye, so she would intentionally rush away from the podium after class and sit down behind a desk, and then talk to me while still looking at the ceiling.

Good teacher, just the oddest quirk for a woman who's spent like ten years talking to students.

budgieinspector
Mar 24, 2006

According to my research,
these would appear to be
Budgerigars.

OniPanda posted:

Or they want to be there even less than you do :v:

Perhaps, but (and this is how you start to think when you're old and curmudgeonly) one of us is getting paid to be there, and one of us ain't.

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy
School got rid of another 100 or so commuter parking spaces to start more construction without finishing the spots they already lost over the last year. Spent 15 minutes circling the lot until I found a spot. The lot is over a mile from campus.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

BumikiIsFreaky posted:

School got rid of another 100 or so commuter parking spaces to start more construction without finishing the spots they already lost over the last year. Spent 15 minutes circling the lot until I found a spot. The lot is over a mile from campus.

They're training you for big city living. lovely traffic, lovely, expensive parking that can only be considered close to where you need to be if you measure in AU's, or the public transit sideshow every single day.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

BumikiIsFreaky posted:

While I normally love winter and snow, I dread the snow these days because then I can no longer ride my motorcycle to campus. Free close parking is not something I want to give up. Also gently caress paying for parking. Undergrads can't even get a pass for the halfway decent lots :suicide:.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

OniPanda posted:

While I normally love winter and snow, I dread the snow these days because then I can no longer ride my motorcycle to campus. Free close parking is not something I want to give up. Also gently caress paying for parking. Undergrads can't even get a pass for the halfway decent lots :suicide:.

If there was one thing I loved about taking courses in the summer it was that I could park in the dorm lots. It's half a mile closer and twelve stories higher up to park in them.

Unfortunately, petty much everything road around the college was open or closed at random throughout the summer making getting to those lots a challenge, but by god I had a great spot if I could get there.

Glasgow Kiss
Dec 12, 2007

Oh, put that thing away, Samurai. We all know what's going to happen. You'll swing your sword, I'll fly away, and probably say something like, "I'll be back, Samurai!" And then I'll flutter over the horizon and we probably won't see each for... about a week. And then we'll do the same thing again.
You know what's awesome? Organic Chemistry and groups! Group quizzes!

I have died and went to hell. :suicide101:

Edit: My group seems nice and competent, but I'm expecting pain this friday.

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

Group work is just like the real world, because at work your team will be given a task and half or more of them will contribute nothing to it and then show up the next week and there are no repercussions and etc. etc.

I don't even get group projects at this point other than having a fifth or a quarter of the normal assignments to grade. If I'm not surprised that everybody bails then... how are the professors, the chairs, the school?

ChefTony
Aug 31, 2016

Now that's fresh!
Transferred my degree 2 weeks into my first year of university because the requirements changed due to lack of numbers. I guess someone at the office didn't put much effort into my transfer because since then I have had numerous problems.
  • My student ID and my name on this big list they print out to check during eaxms still says I am doing my original degree, leading to great confusion upon entry to Every. Single. Exam and half way through Every. Single. Exam when they walk around checking ID's again. They keep telling me they will fix it but it hasn't happened yet. I seriously allow for 90 seconds of explaining when timing out my exam, and I just pray that it is an invigilator I have delt with before during hard exams where time is scarce
  • Registration for classes has never worked for me. When I went online to register classes for the second semester all that it was showing me was modules for my original course. Contacted the Programs office, the person was very nice "Oh yeah, our system didn't know about your transfer let me just change you ov........poo poo" Turns out he somehow registered me as a new student coming into the course and it wiped all history of my previous modules, so that was a pain to get back in.
  • That is still effecting me now going into my second year as the system gives out to me for trying to register for modules when I didn't complete the previously required modules in first year, which I did, its just that the system was wiped of all history of it happening. So I just have to email the Offices contstantly telling them what electives and moduels I want, because they are able to bypass the block.
In short, the beginning and ending of semesters suck because I'm not properly registered, but everything else is rad.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Somehow I managed to take 2 senior capstone courses while working 2 jobs while preparing to live in another country for 2 months after this upcoming semester is over. I am 2 dumb sometimes.

Glasgow Kiss
Dec 12, 2007

Oh, put that thing away, Samurai. We all know what's going to happen. You'll swing your sword, I'll fly away, and probably say something like, "I'll be back, Samurai!" And then I'll flutter over the horizon and we probably won't see each for... about a week. And then we'll do the same thing again.
STRESS
T
R
E
S
S

Reports, reports, reports, reports.

Reports.

This is my life now.

Glasgow Kiss
Dec 12, 2007

Also, gently caress online hw.

loving stupid idea that was.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

RNG posted:

Group work is just like the real world, because at work your team will be given a task and half or more of them will contribute nothing to it and then show up the next week and there are no repercussions and etc. etc.

I don't know if I was lucky with my department but I've honestly never had this problem and it seems like every other college student in the world has. My professors have always been straight with us before assigning group projects in that if everyone in the group got together and let the prof know someone was slacking off, they'd get a zero.

Despite this, I remember a particularly glorious instance where we had a semester-long group project on civil tort reform that was worth half the credit of the course and one group had a guy who literally went to class maybe 6 times and never once showed up for a single group meeting. The day comes where they're scheduled to conduct their presentation when the group leader raises his hand to let the professor know that so-and-so has literally contributed nothing. The professor asks everyone else if this is true and they all agree in unison. Professor says Welp he's not even here today so he's getting a zero either way. Just then, the guy they had just been talking about walks in and sits down at his desk, oblivious to the conversation that had just occurred. The group is called up to present and this guy shamelessly gets up and strolls to the front of the class with everyone else in his group. For a solid ten seconds all 5 of his group members are standing there staring at him in total disbelief. The group leader composes himself and begins to present, and what followed was nothing if not cringe-inducing.

Every so often he'd seize a gap in a speaker's oration to butt in and start reading some unrelated bullet point directly from the board before immediately being cut off. After about the 4th or 5th time he receded off to the side and resorted to nodding pensively with his hands in his pockets whenever the current speaker made an argument about tort reform. All told the entire presentation was about 45 minutes. He got a zero.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Wednesdays. Between class schedule and dumb nerd responsibilities with my friends I have no free time at all on Wednesdays.

No joke, I woke up at 8:30 today and I won't go to bed until 1am and in that time frame I have exactly 50 minutes of un-allotted free time today.

Most of Wednesday is eaten by classes, the other chunk is eaten by me running D&D sessions, which I realize is entirely my own fault but still. Luckily I don't have much to do on Thursdays, just one class in the morning and a nerd-poo poo engagement for 3 hours in the evening. I love Thursdays if only because I'm always so burnt out after Wednesdays.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Do what I did in my college D&D sessions when I got bored, killed off my character and told everyone to loot my body.

I had a date.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Beastie posted:

Do what I did in my college D&D sessions when I got bored, killed off my character and told everyone to loot my body.

I had a date.

I run the session :negative:

Bitter fly
Sep 25, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Oh god I'm taking biology and the lab class for it is much more rigorous than I am used to. I hope these flash cards for anatomy that I bought for fifty bucks in the school store will help!

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I graduated from my college more than six years ago but I still have my gripes with it. Last academic year, they got a new president. Sure, he had five years experience at Bain Capital and none in academia, but I like to give people chances. A couple months into his tenure, they unveiled a new logo for the college that struck me as completely unnecessary. Sure, the athletics department, some of the academic departments, and the college in general had differing logos, but who cares? He decided to make them all the same, meaning that the team logo I liked would be gone. And instead of explaining it in one sentence like they could have done (I would have gone with "the cursive 'M' is how the man the college is named for wrote it in his signature"), they came up with a multipage slideshow with corporate buzzwords like "visual identity." There was absolutely no point to doing this other than to give a consulting firm some money.

Also, I see no signs of the usual career trajectory for a lot of students slowing down any time soon. Most people I was friends with when I went to college are now high earners who are miserable in other ways. I don't see a president with a long career in the private sector doing anything to change that. But at least the college is well on its way to not being 90% white anymore, so he's still better than the last guy.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.
For context, I'm studying a double degree arts/laws. We found out why our legal ethics tutor mysteriously vanished half way through last semester (and was replaced by a woman who lodged a bullying complaint against our Dean, which is another story).

She mysteriously vanished because it turned out she was struck off the roll (i.e. never ever allowed to practice again ever) for stealing money from clients. Our ethics tutor. Yeah.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Whitlam posted:

For context, I'm studying a double degree arts/laws. We found out why our legal ethics tutor mysteriously vanished half way through last semester (and was replaced by a woman who lodged a bullying complaint against our Dean, which is another story).

She mysteriously vanished because it turned out she was struck off the roll (i.e. never ever allowed to practice again ever) for stealing money from clients. Our ethics tutor. Yeah.

She was teaching you the ethics of mercenary self-interest?

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

"Hey guess what, we need 10 students to plan an overnight teambuilding trip for 30 students. Next weekend. Oh you all have jobs and can't change your schedule at this short of notice? Well this is no good."

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

Sic Semper Goon posted:

She was teaching you the ethics of mercenary self-interest?

We thought about it later and it all made sense why they started hammering into us "never ever touch client money it is the worst thing you can do". I would have called bullshit on it (ho ho the ethics teacher got fired for grossly unethical conduct, sure), except we found the case online. It'd been going on for two years.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Welp. The section of technical communications I signed up for back in April with a specific teacher at some point over the summer mysteriously changed instructors to a non-engineer without any warning whatsoever and far to late to change to the other section that had the instructor I wanted to take. And then the semester starts and I go to intro to MEMS to find the professor had made to teach a different class because that professor got tapped for something else, the week before the semester started, and they hadn't finalized a new professor yet. Again, I took this class because a specific instructor was teaching it. Thanks Michigan.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Whitlam posted:

That sounds about par for anyone teaching ethics.

My latest complaint: I worked out a schedule that would let me take a really extensive minor despite my major being one of those that is packed to begin with. It involved putting off one class that stood on its own in the fall of next year to my last year, but I could just barely squeeze everything in. Last week I found out they changed that class to be a co-requisite with another course. So I have to take 16 credit hours in my major next fall despite needing to take a course only offered in the fall for my minor to meet the pre-requisites for later courses. Right now my plan is to get an exemption to allow me to take an extra credit hour that semester.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

My degree showed up in the mail today, months after it was supposed to show up. Written on the package, it says "DO NOT BEND". So, what does the postman do? Bend it in half and shove it into the mail box. Thank god I am done with college :shepface:

Gitro
May 29, 2013
Is it too much to ask that people engage with the tutorial at least a tiny little bit? Like yeah the tutor's not great and the subject is really dry and kind of dull, but we're all stuck here for the next hour anyway so maybe try to learn a thing. Maybe?

"So what are we doing?" the thing she's been explaining for the past five minutes have you paid even a second of attention

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I found out today that the college I went to isn't accredited for one of my degrees. No wonder it took so drat long to find a job. Most of that department's professors don't have degrees in what they were teaching.

Glasgow Kiss
Dec 12, 2007

This is the semester from hell. gently caress!

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Somehow I managed to find myself writing 5-30 e-mails almost every day for school this semester. I have what feels like millions of tasks being thrown at me a week. I'm only in three courses and one of them is no work. My two senior level leadership classes has me running around the whole city, contacting people from advocacy groups to NGOs to government workers to god knows who else anymore. I'm also in charge of my programs biggest social event of the year and trying to run a bunch of social media pages while contacting students, alumni, and dozens of potential donors about everything. I'm also being interviewed for a story on the university website with regards to an internship I did over the past few months that just wrapped up this weekend. And I've been trying to do all this while dealing with some stupid chronic pain and fatigue illness that's been attacking me for two months.

I am going to loving bomb the mid-term in my third class tomorrow because I haven't given a single poo poo about it with all this other work I've gotten myself into. I miss just spending all my time studying and writing papers.

In short:

Glasgow Kiss posted:

This is the semester from hell. gently caress!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Picnic Princess posted:

I am going to loving bomb the mid-term in my third class tomorrow

On Friday I had a midterm to take in fifty minutes. I knew the material pretty well so I was confident going in. At the bottom of page two I looked at the clock and there was half an hour left. At that point I had to go, "Okay, this test is going to be a classwide disaster. That means a heavy curve and that means I need to go for raw points." And that kicked off a half hour blitz of high value questions I felt I could do quickly, abandoning questions when I knew I had made an error because losing a few points there was better than no points elsewhere, and scribbling faster than my brain could work. I doubt I'm going to get more than 60% on the exam graded straight, but I'm hoping that the midterm massacre is going lead to a curve that gives me a mid range B.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Random Stranger posted:

On Friday I had a midterm to take in fifty minutes. I knew the material pretty well so I was confident going in. At the bottom of page two I looked at the clock and there was half an hour left. At that point I had to go, "Okay, this test is going to be a classwide disaster. That means a heavy curve and that means I need to go for raw points." And that kicked off a half hour blitz of high value questions I felt I could do quickly, abandoning questions when I knew I had made an error because losing a few points there was better than no points elsewhere, and scribbling faster than my brain could work. I doubt I'm going to get more than 60% on the exam graded straight, but I'm hoping that the midterm massacre is going lead to a curve that gives me a mid range B.

Similarly, question on my midterm last week that was the same concept as what we'd done but on steroids. They gave a hint on how to solve it, but at no point in class did that hint ever come up so it was useless. Just said gently caress this question and used the last 5 minutes to salvage some points on it

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Grading curves are so weird

Glasgow Kiss
Dec 12, 2007

Picnic Princess posted:

I am going to loving bomb the mid-term in my third class tomorrow because I haven't given a single poo poo about it with all this other work I've gotten myself into. I miss just spending all my time studying and writing papers.

In short:

Me too, me too. This poo poo sucks. I wanna get my degree and live under a bridge. At least I don't have debt.

Random Stranger posted:

Same day, same time. Same everything. Organic chemistry. gently caress everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I'm in an introduction to programming class. Since programmer was part of my job description for over ten years, this is kind of like being thrown into kindergarten but it's a requirement for my degree and testing out of it wasn't a great idea (basically, I knew I could pass effortlessly, but because there's bound to be syntax things that never used or don't come up in real life, it was really dubious if I could pass it with an "A" and why hurt my GPA needlessly). Part of this class's homework assignments are a slowly building project that grows over the course of a semester. The initial few assignments just gave us general guidelines: "The program needs to do x, y, and z." No problem; I wrote this stuff in about an hour or two, making it robust, expandable, and flexible. The biggest challenge in those assignments was that we were often instructed not to use things that hadn't been covered in class yet and sometimes I had to jump through some funny hoops to do things with my programs and keep it in the terms of the assignment.

The current assignment changed that. We're now to expand our existing program but we have to use a very particular, very inefficient structure. The teacher even sent out a special announcement saying, "No, you cannot modify the code we provided; you must use it exactly." Which means that I can either rewrite from the start while actively making my program significantly worse or I can write some particularly ugly routing and converting code.

I hope the TA likes spaghetti because that's what this program's going to be.

• Locked thread