Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

spankmeister posted:

I did the exam today and I passed. :toot:

:toot:

did u take the general exam too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

PuTTY riot posted:

:toot:

did u take the general exam too?

I'm in the netherlands so our regulations are different.

I did an N (Novice) exam and I can do the F (Full) in September.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
good poo poo

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

lookit dis loving guy

legit af

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
hahaha tight

---

:(

at 5pm on monday if I don't have tracking, im filing a Paypal dispute (you get 21 days). I paypalled that old dude the money from a verified account on Monday and he's just making up old-man "I'm Tired" excuses as to why he has not shipped my radio yet but he certainly wasn't tired enough to accept my $650 Paypal payment.

johnnyonetime
Apr 2, 2010
with any luck I'll have a pristine Icom IC-746 in my hands tomorrow morning. It was an estate sale lot that came with the radio, astron ss-30m power supply and a Icom sm-8 desk mike for $750. :dance:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
that's nice, those big astrons will run until end of universe

i had my choice of 746 at $500 or 746 Pro at $600, chose the pro. the 746 non pros actually are a bit higher regarded if you can load them with filters, but I wanted to play with an if-dsp radio.

THAT IS, IF I EVER GET IT

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
built a 2m eggbeater today. bout 30 bucks between wire, pvc and hardware. i made it a wee bit long so it would be usable as an ssb omni (these have good horizon signal which is horizontally polarized) and sure as poo poo, 1.3 swr at 144.0, 1.2 at 144.2, 1.1 at 145.0 and 1.3 at 145.8 (satellite band)

and of course no 2m birds till funcube at 9pm
e: got it, several guys on both SSB and CW. best satellite rx ive ever experienced. time to build the 70cm one!

another pass in about an hr

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 04:29 on May 31, 2015

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I'm not allowed to put up antennas so I need stealthy ones like the mini whip for example

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
built the 436 eggbeater last night. no idea if it works or not but its a v clean build and its solid as f

so-50 pass in about an hour, gonna test it out

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
shoulda checked the mail yesterday. got 3 usb audio dongles. theyve got the CM108 and its not epoxy covered. GAME ON GOGOGOGO im buying ten

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Jonny 290 posted:

shoulda checked the mail yesterday. got 3 usb audio dongles. theyve got the CM108 and its not epoxy covered. GAME ON GOGOGOGO im buying ten

so just OOC what exactly is the endgame function of that project, like, i get there's a signal pin open that can trigger PTT or something, but what is it actually doing?

to be fair, i still dont understand what the PSK Sound Card interface upgrade board does or would be used for on my TNC.... like if someone pointed a gun to my head and demanded i "Demo It" i'd be ded

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Sniep posted:

so just OOC what exactly is the endgame function of that project, like, i get there's a signal pin open that can trigger PTT or something, but what is it actually doing?

hook asterisk to a ham radio and do stupid poo poo with scripting and DTMF and a text to speech synth

quote:

to be fair, i still dont understand what the PSK Sound Card interface upgrade board does or would be used for on my TNC.... like if someone pointed a gun to my head and demanded i "Demo It" i'd be ded

all it does is route the radio audio out through those two jacks in the back, which are supposed to be hooked to your pc soundcard. in that mode the 232 is a glorified rigblaster or whatever, its not actually processing poo poo. just so you dont have to hook up separate poo poo to your radio for PC processing

like, if you wanted you could just put the tnc in PSK mode and record poo poo off the radio via the line out. its got many uses besides just psk31

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Jonny 290 posted:

which seller was it?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
its this auction right here

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291156304476?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&var=590306532022&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

been running forever.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
nice. I've got some in transit that will probably get here this week. if they don't work I'll pick up a few of those

johnnyonetime
Apr 2, 2010
well it took awhile to toss a line up in a tree and get the wire antenna off the ground but I'm operational for now!

probably order a CAT cable next and work on a more permanent antenna solution

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
so i just moved my 2m/440 antenna up by like 2 feet and fixed massive ground plane and attenuation issues i was having from a balcony railing, and seems from across-fuckin-town ragchew testing with jonny that i am doing about 20-30db over S9, +20db from where i was before.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
johnnyonetime i will implore you to run the backlight brightness at full power. theres a transistor in there that sinks whatever power _isn't_ going to the display, and if you dim it, that transistor desolders itself and your backlight shits

UGH dude better ship mine tomorrow or else.

oh by the way, if you want a cheap Icom cat cable, get an FTDI TTL (5v) USB adapter off ebay or amazon and a 1/8" mono cable. connect the ground to GND, tie the RX and TX lines together at the USB adapter and connect the center pin of the 1/8" to them. boomdone

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jun 1, 2015

johnnyonetime
Apr 2, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

johnnyonetime i will implore you to run the backlight brightness at full power. theres a transistor in there that sinks whatever power _isn't_ going to the display, and if you dim it, that transistor desolders itself and your backlight shits

UGH dude better ship mine tomorrow or else.

oh by the way, if you want a cheap Icom cat cable, get an FTDI TTL (5v) USB adapter off ebay or amazon and a 1/8" mono cable. connect the ground to GND, tie the RX and TX lines together at the USB adapter and connect the center pin of the 1/8" to them. boomdone

thanks for the reminder! I read about that a week or so ago when I was researching this purchase but forgot to adjust that. The backlight is rocking at 100% brightness now.

I'm thinking about ordering this cable for CAT control and to do digital modes as well:

http://www.xggcomms.com/userimages/procart2.htm

I'm going to build a cable per Jonny 290's suggestion and ordered this sound card interface

http://www.unifiedmicro.com/sci6.htm

johnnyonetime fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jun 1, 2015

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
c ham s: checked into the 2m ssb net tonight. one guy said he upgraded his amp and he has 1200 watts of SSB going into 4 stacked beams lollll

i found out that my new eggbeater antenna is SUPER great if the other dude has his beam pointed at me. one of the strongest signals i heard tonight was a guy from Mitchell, Nebraska, bout 175 miles as the crow flies. i could copy almost everybody else, and didn't need to repeat anything through a relay station.

e: also my radio shipped yay. now time to f5 a tracking page 900 times

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Jonny 290 posted:

e: also my radio shipped yay. now time to f5 a tracking page 900 times

cool story bro but lol at this - did you have to actually threaten e-violence to get that beard to ship his poo poo?

no wonder his wife's pissed

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Sniep posted:

cool story bro but lol at this - did you have to actually threaten e-violence to get that beard to ship his poo poo?

no wonder his wife's pissed

yeah i gave him a 5pm deadline or i would file a paypal dispute which would screw his account rep for a while. he sent me tracking at 3:55 pm

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
20 meters was open somewhat tonight and i was able to talk to dudes in lithuania and italy tonight with the radio backed down to about 50 watts

almost had a dude in slovenia but too much of a pileup

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
in the mail today: two different PCBs x3 from OSHPark, great except all the new components are still in the mail

gonna have some fun in 1-6 weeks!

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
*sighs*

Opened a Paypal dispute to get my money back.

Dude printed a shipping label two days ago and still hasn't sent the radio.

PP has my back, he has 10 days to prove movement through UPS or I get my moolah back.

Super sad, that is a beautiful radio at an awesome deal and now my wife is all sketched out about buying radios forever.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
:(

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

if i cant get this pass next week then i just suck. on my kids third bday too!

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

goddammit telecoms authority people make with the letter so i can pick a call sign. :argh:

johnnyonetime
Apr 2, 2010
i made a thing. never soldered before but i think it came out real nice

now i need to see if any places in town carry 8 pin DIN connectors or if i have to wait for the mailman again

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
if its for an icom, a 5 pin din will mate and hit the pins you need iirc
compare the pinouts and see

but if so you can maybe find a midi cable somewhere or an old AT keyboard for a buck

johnnyonetime
Apr 2, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

if its for an icom, a 5 pin din will mate and hit the pins you need iirc
compare the pinouts and see

but if so you can maybe find a midi cable somewhere or an old AT keyboard for a buck

i bought a 5 pin midi cable at radioshack for 4 bux but i'm having trouble getting the computer to talk to the radio. i'm going to check my pins and try again. multimeter says they are right, who knows

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
"ok we have a $14,000 transceiver to sell. what frequency are we going to tune it to in the ad?"

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
god i hate the design of that radio so hard

the overly-busy graphics around every button

the is-it-a-render-or-just-molded-plastic appearance

the poorly sized control layout with band switch buttons the exact same size as the notch filter knob. gosh which one of these do you need finer control on

i dont give a gently caress about its triple intercept point or imd ratings or 20khz roofing filters if I can't tune the loving thing

hey lets cluster the AGC and scan buttons. that is logical.

e: oh god and the LOOK! CNC! microphone design. aaaaaaaa

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jun 7, 2015

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

somebody's triggered

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
heres flagships right now

icom - pure bling and cutting edge features

$15k

yaesu - special attention to performance and user interface

$8500

kenwood - legendary audio quality and reliability

$8000

hilberling

$15,000

e: lol ten-tec is so loving sad now

$2,499 and "Sold Out. Orders accepted when production parts become available." they dont even have a supply chain lmao.

AMERICA

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jun 7, 2015

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
meanwhile, i'm planning on, so far at least, getting this guy - definitely not a flagship, but nice enough i think

yaesu ft dx 1200

only $1300

e: and its like another $200 to put in a fast fourier transform coprocessor board that gives you neat scope and digital poo poo

Sniep fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jun 7, 2015

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

can they contract dieter rams or something? just once. give them some guidelines or something. get him to draw up a radio design language. christ

e: let's found a company that makes beautiful, high-end transceivers. why does eveyrthing have to look like a pile of poo poo and obscure knobds and ten zillion buttons with illegible labels

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jun 7, 2015

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

come ON

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
icom recently released the IC-7100 and it is a pretty ballsy design move imo

but :ughh: mono resistive touchscreen :ughh:

• Locked thread