Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Dang, just had a great OgSu with a pile of starter books nuked for 60% of his HP by a draconian ghost breathing.

Edit: So, you know, watch out for L:1 for the next few hours.

Also, what vault puts 5+ Trolls onto D9? I barely snuck into lair escaping from that pack

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jan 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

dpeg posted:

There's a number of ways how to try to transport ideas. Hint: your approach is dysfunctional. Also, why do you use the adverb "totally", isn't "bullshit" a noun?

Hey guess what? I'm not talking about me. I'm talking about all the other times people have suggested ideas to fix stuff and been totally ignored. Please don't pretend you have any shortage of ideas when it comes to balance. You're just not willing to listen to them, and should be honest about that.

Not that I haven't asked for changes in a completely rational manner and been ignored before. How many times do I have to outline why Hell glow is busted before something gets done about that?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

as much as i like the idea of a frog race i feel like it was added just to have something use the 'jump' skill and so all the talk of swapping out races so the game is more diverse just seems kinda funny to me right now

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Darox posted:

Remove demigods and add Fedora of the Demigod: -faith (wield penalty and reduced faith gain), +10 to all stats, -1 to all apts when worn

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I mean singularity is kind of fundamentally really, really hard to balance because the whole point is it is a spell which does big damage in a big AoE, and lasts multiple turns...you can limit firestorm's range to make it not hit out of LoS(and even that doesn't work with veh) but if singularity lasts multiple turns that lends itself very easily to hitting out of LoS because all you have to do is back up. you could make it just not hurt anything you can't see but then that would, I think, "feel" very strange(and be a bit annoying with fog). perhaps other people disagree though and there are already other kinda unintuitive LoS mechanics like how clouds evaporate super fast out of LoS for the sake of balance/tedium.

it's a single school spell in a spell without other damage options, but that's been touched on and could be changed, as well as the damage numbers

but I kind of feel like... the 'better form' of singularity from a game design perspective already exists, and it's called tornado. "level 9 spells that lasts multiple turns and moves enemies" makes a lot more sense/is much easier to make work properly when it is always centered around the player and has a cooldown, instead of being placed anywhere freely.

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jan 8, 2017

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
Does halfling's innate rMut also stop benemuts? I had 3 benemut potions on an early HaBe, the first gave me clarity, and the other two gave me nothing (You feel odd for a moment).

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Fhqwhgads posted:

Does halfling's innate rMut also stop benemuts? I had 3 benemut potions on an early HaBe, the first gave me clarity, and the other two gave me nothing (You feel odd for a moment).

Mutation resistance blocks all mutations, good or bad.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Specifically the mutation based mutation resist does that. Removable forms of rMut (alchemist and order still exist!) don't affect benemut potions.

e: The idea being you could take them off anyway so it just saves tedium. This was more relevant when the amulet existed.

Darox fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jan 8, 2017

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

IronicDongz posted:

and there are already other kinda unintuitive LoS mechanics like how clouds evaporate super fast out of LoS for the sake of balance/tedium.

i changed that so that your non-opaque clouds vanish instantly outside LOS, which is a bit simpler than a 4x rate increase and hopefully easier for people to pick up on. (opaque clouds don't do this because it'd break fog and similar effects pretty badly, and because the only damaging opaque cloud is steam.)

actually, re-reading your post, maybe you already realized that? but probably someone here missed the change.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Johnny Joestar posted:

as much as i like the idea of a frog race i feel like it was added just to have something use the 'jump' skill and so all the talk of swapping out races so the game is more diverse just seems kinda funny to me right now

i don't see the contradiction there...

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Gonna be honest I don't really see the appeal of the dog race. Maybe I'm just underestimating how much can be done with low skills.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Dogs are cute, and we already have cats.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Kobolds are dogs though.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Mr. Lobe posted:

Kobolds are dogs though.

Pretty sure crawl goes with the Kobolds as lizards thing like DnD.

Edit: I hope that doesn't get them removed. They're one of two races I play (the other is Octopodes)

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

Kobolds in Crawl are officially marsupials.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Is there something about Council God I'm not quite getting? It seems like going to Council God makes trying to hold onto a randart or otherwise good weapon absolutely impossible, in favor of countless unbranded +0 weapons.

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

Is the dog race in offline trunk?

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

I am Otis posted:

The dog race is not in any trunk.

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

PleasingFungus posted:

thanks c:

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Dogs die in hot trunks

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

PleasingFungus posted:

Weird that dpeg made it sound like it was a guaranteed thing then. Not like there haven't been races that made it further before getting axed.

Whatever happened to that race that was supposed to be able to worship gods and abandon them without wrath?

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

IronicDongz posted:

I mean singularity is kind of fundamentally really, really hard to balance because the whole point is it is a spell which does big damage in a big AoE, and lasts multiple turns...you can limit firestorm's range to make it not hit out of LoS(and even that doesn't work with veh) but if singularity lasts multiple turns that lends itself very easily to hitting out of LoS because all you have to do is back up. you could make it just not hurt anything you can't see but then that would, I think, "feel" very strange(and be a bit annoying with fog). perhaps other people disagree though and there are already other kinda unintuitive LoS mechanics like how clouds evaporate super fast out of LoS for the sake of balance/tedium.

Eh, the purple zone indicating Singularity's area of influence only existing where you can see is no weirder than your summons only biting creatures you can see or whatever. Clearly you need to be aware of and concentrating on a region of space to include it in the warp.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I don't think it's true that that's clear, but I suppose you're right that it's no less unintuitive than summon LoS behavior.

I will stand by what I said about singularity vs. tornado though.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Eh, you could say the same about firestorm vs. glaciate. As long as neither's strictly superior to the other there's room for similar effects that fall under different spell schools and aid slightly different playstyles. Tornado's a lot friendlier to someone who wants to be in melee range, for instance.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

I am Otis posted:

Dog race is currently located here (I changed the branch name because I hosed up the old one while trying to rebase without reading the instructions first :downs:). I talked with the admin of CBRO, who said that he would get around to putting it up on experimental sometime this weekend, but I guess he might have gotten busy so I'll ask him if he is available to put it up sometime this week.

Internet Kraken posted:

Weird that dpeg made it sound like it was a guaranteed thing then. Not like there haven't been races that made it further before getting axed.

Whatever happened to that race that was supposed to be able to worship gods and abandon them without wrath?

I think he just mentioned it because I'm talking about it a lot in #crawl-dev as I'm working on it and it was another species in development to name. It isn't any more official than a food removal patch yet.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I haven't worshiped Okawaru in ages so someone remind me;

-Does invocations affect his abilities in any way other than success rate?
-Does finesse do anything if you are hasted?

EDIT: Not that it matters since I loving died again

This time I made it to Shoals. Got confused by a satyr and shot to death by his fauns. What's the solution to that as a mummy again? Oh right there is none other than having MR :bang:

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jan 9, 2017

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Internet Kraken posted:

I haven't worshiped Okawaru in ages so someone remind me;

-Does invocations affect his abilities in any way other than success rate?

1) It increases duration, but I never really go over 10-ish Invo anyway.
2) [EDIT] They don't stack, but you do get to use the most advantageous effect.

Edit: Duration is, according to learndb, 10 + (3* (1d[invo] + 1d[invo])), caps at 100.
Double edit: Corrected by Ferrinus, bad advice removed

Prism fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jan 9, 2017

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Internet Kraken posted:

If I recall correctly, Finesse halves your attack delay, while Haste reduces the delay of all actions to 2/3rds of what it should be, so if you're Hasted and Finessed you'll be able to move/zap/quaff/etc quickly and attack really quickly.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Ferrinus posted:

If I recall correctly, Finesse halves your attack delay, while Haste reduces the delay of all actions to 2/3rds of what it should be, so if you're Hasted and Finessed you'll be able to move/zap/quaff/etc quickly and attack really quickly.

They don't stack, but I messed up and this is correct.

Yes, you'll get the Finesse benefit on attacking and the Haste bonus on everything else.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

quote:

q - the ring of Ru's Delight (right hand) {rF+ Slay+6}

Boy I'm gonna be mad when I lose this mummy to something stupid.

EDIT: Got petrified while near tons of enemies and died cause only one tp scroll spawned :thumbsup:

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jan 9, 2017

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

IronicDongz posted:

it's a single school spell in a spell without other damage options, but that's been touched on and could be changed, as well as the damage numbers

but I kind of feel like... the 'better form' of singularity from a game design perspective already exists, and it's called tornado. "level 9 spells that lasts multiple turns and moves enemies" makes a lot more sense/is much easier to make work properly when it is always centered around the player and has a cooldown, instead of being placed anywhere freely.

If you don't like Ferrinus' suggestion, mine also solves the fundamental problem with the spell. Either have the spell prevent movement entirely or exact a heavy cost on movement. I still include the caveat that the central tile must be passable and must disappear without LoS to prevent players from casting it into a room and closing the door or blocking hallways with it.

One could easily argue that Singularity is the better form of Tornado. The difference between singularity and tornado, and what makes singularity a better and more interesting spell, is that singularity changes your tactics with other damage spells, and pushes you towards choosing some over others. It interacts beautifully with firestorm, for example, and nicely with tornado, but doesn't offer as much to someone casting glaciate. It is the perfect companion spell for a summoner, since it does big damage without hurting your summons. Simply being able to target the spell also makes it more interesting.

I can't find any aspect of Tornado's design that makes it inherently better, and as Ferrinus pointed out, it's fine to have spells that do similar things in suitably different ways. Look at firestorm vs. glaciate or poisonous cloud vs freezing cloud, these spells are mechanically quite similar, but have interesting differences that extend beyond their damage type.

dpeg posted:

Development is not focused around tournaments or top players. It's even unclear to me how people arrive at this conclusion, but it's just not true.

HE removal: this is not about power. If we would have thought that HE is too weak or too strong, then the answer would be to buff or nerf, respectively. (If we would have cared at all, because species aren't intended to be equal in power.)
Instead, this is about differentiation. Hold on, for you may strongly disagree: [i[we[/i] think that HE is not different enough from neighbouring species. If you look over the history of DCSS, you will see that the standards for "is varied enough" have been risen increasing all the time.
Finally, there are two new species tested out right now: frogs and dogs. You're totally entitled to mourn your HE and feel that froggies and doggies are at best a cynical replacement, but try to look at it with the eyes of new players: with which set of species will they get more out of the game?
About pull request to add HE back: don't do it, please. Nothing will happen, and it'll just lead to wasted effort and further frustration.

This is why I listed the removal of singularity as the only really bad change even though HE was my favorite species. I agree with your arguments that there has to be an upper limit to the number of species. I am interested to try out frogs and dogs if I can ever get a playable connection to web tiles again (and if dogs make it into trunk; I hope they do because it's an interesting idea). However, I do think the devs, if it indeed makes any sense to talk about "the devs" as a monolithic entity, are wrong about the the level of differentiation between species that makes them interesting and are quite wrong about what will be interesting to new players. Overly differentiated species, like felids, feel gimmicky and aren't much fun to play, especially for people new to the game. High elves, however, played differently from other species and played just like high elves seem like they should play based on the context from which they were adopted. They were a well designed species, if less distinct from others, and felids are poorly designed, in spite of being more distinct. Nevertheless, I accept the logic of your argument, even if I think your aesthetic judgements are poor in this case.

dpeg posted:

Singularity: you know this psychological effect how it feels much worse if you find 10$ on the street and have to part with 5$ rather than just finding 5$? In a sense, Singularity has never existed. It was tried out, and found to be absolutely, unrepairably overpowered. For most things removed, you could (and people do) say: "why not think a bit harder about how to replace it?" That's true, but it is hard. So if you really think that Singularity should be a Crawl spell, make ideas how to improve it. This has happened., and be persistent. You may even have to make a thread on the tavern or something to keep the idea alive.

This, however, is nonsense. Many people offered ideas on how to fix singularity at the time that it was removed. I have persistently lamented the removal of the spell and offered ideas more than once. Ferrinus has "bring back singularity" as his personal Carthago delenda est. Perhaps we didn't make suggestions in the right places, but the tavern does not feel welcoming to new ideas from posters who aren't color coded to be the people you're supposed to listen to, at least to my eyes.

I do not think it was terribly hard to solve the problems with singularity. The issue was very clear and easy to identify: the spell introduced abusive play where you could primarily kill things that were out of sight. Once that problem is identified, a number of possible solutions spring to mind about how to fix it. This needs no great depth of thought or brilliant inspiration. The problem was obvious, and one clearly stated, solutions were also obvious. If, after implementing the most agreed upon solution to the major design problem with the spell, it was still found unbalanced, it could either be fixed by tweaking numbers or abandoned at that point. I respect that the developers are going to make the game they want to play and I think that in general you all do a great job of it. But in this case, you made a decision based on unclear or incomplete understanding of a situation and then supported it with faulty logic.

dpeg posted:

Also, why do you use the adverb "totally", isn't "bullshit" a noun?

Bullshit can be a noun, verb or adjective depending on the situation. The adjectival use has a much stronger colloquial feel to it, but is still common. Take the sentence, "don't give me these bullshit excuses" as an example. This all is true for North American English, at least.

Heithinn Grasida fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jan 9, 2017

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Heithinn Grasida posted:

If you don't like Ferrinus' suggestion, mine also solves the fundamental problem with the spell. Either have the spell prevent movement entirely or exact a heavy cost on movement. I still include the caveat that the central tile must be passable and must disappear without LoS to prevent players from casting it into a room and closing the door or blocking hallways with it.

Yeah, my other idea was to have Singularity either nail you in place or drag you towards it the same way it drags monsters (though obviously it wouldn't damage you or your summons or w/e). I just figured that might be too counterproductive, since even if you can't use it to attack stuff out of LOS it still seems like a black hole spell should be usable to drag enemies away from you, e.g. you cast it at the edge of the screen so that things trying to close to melee have to spend one turn out of every two moving back into place.

The central tile absolutely needs to be passable (iirc that was actually a challenge to code), and I could see it blinking + damaging anything that enters it in the style of Bend Space or, iirc, the Malign Gateway. Hell, in another world Singularity could be the ultimate Lugonu piety ability.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

PleasingFungus posted:

i don't see the contradiction there...

mostly i'm not sure what the frog race really adds. i'll enjoy any race that's not merfolk that gets vaguely decent ice magic aptitudes, but if the only real selling point worth pointing out is 'it can jump' then part of me wonders why we need a species specifically for that.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Johnny Joestar posted:

mostly i'm not sure what the frog race really adds. i'll enjoy any race that's not merfolk that gets vaguely decent ice magic aptitudes, but if the only real selling point worth pointing out is 'it can jump' then part of me wonders why we need a species specifically for that.

Time to make "jump" an activated ability tied to the Dodge skill the same way "fireball" is an activated ability tied to the Fire Magic skill.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Felids were a species that were able to jump once, just saying.

EDIT: Officially passed 50 deaths on MuAm. Want to travel back in time and punch myself when I tried this combo 3 years ago.

VVV I think it had to do with the devs thinking jumping was just an awkward ability? They killed off all jumping outside of Ru as well. I don't remember the exact reason but I've always missed it regardless.

So I am kind of surprised that frogs get jumping only as an untargeted ability.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jan 9, 2017

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Why DID they take pounce away from Felids? Was it too strong? Does "too strong" really make sense for such a lovely species?

The more I think about it, by the way, the more I want the "+3 aptitudes everywhere, max 12 in every skill" race to be flavored as the new High Elves. Maybe give 'em slightly higher base stats and a slightly slower xlvl gain and you've got the perfect breezy dilettantes.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Ferrinus posted:

Why DID they take pounce away from Felids? Was it too strong? Does "too strong" really make sense for such a lovely species?

It made statueform good for them! (I think the real reason for removing jumping in general was weird behaviours depending on what enemies are where, especially ones you can't see - but cats have sinv)

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I feel like every transmuter character I create dies in an ice cave.

I tried Elyvilon for the first time. Piety builds quite quickly, and her abilities are quite effective in Lair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
From the discussions I heard in the dev irc, Felid jump was removed because it has complicated and extremely spoilery behaviour in specific circumstances.

• Locked thread