Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I've got one with only one third of the panes smashed that's going to 100% destroyed when the landscapers show up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Jaded Burnout posted:

I've got one with only one third of the panes smashed that's going to 100% destroyed when the landscapers show up.

Guess I spoke too soon, they've gone back to dodging calls and emails. If they don't get back to me by the end of Monday then I'll cancel that order and that's another thing I have to do myself.

BTW the builder didn't meet his EOD Monday deadline, emailed me on Tuesday to say "sorry will get it to you by the end of Wednesday" and then I never heard from him again. So that's a confirmed write-off.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Jaded Burnout posted:

Guess I spoke too soon, they've gone back to dodging calls and emails. If they don't get back to me by the end of Monday then I'll cancel that order and that's another thing I have to do myself.

BTW the builder didn't meet his EOD Monday deadline, emailed me on Tuesday to say "sorry will get it to you by the end of Wednesday" and then I never heard from him again. So that's a confirmed write-off.
I can already see the writing on the wall here and you might as well start building the forms to cast all your own concrete beams and blocks.

It's frustrating as heck trying to deal with all those people in normal times, I can't imagine how much worse it is now.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I’m doing my level best to not have to mix concrete.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Have it delivered by truck, they'll pump it round to wherever you need. gently caress mixing concrete yourself.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Mixing concrete, digging for concrete, dealing with trucks, heavy machinery, all of it is a huge hassle

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Agreed. Have a prefab helicoptered in. Wait no, helicopters count as heavy machinery.

We need a Zeppelin.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

cakesmith handyman posted:

Agreed. Have a prefab helicoptered in. Wait no, helicopters count as heavy machinery.

We need a Zeppelin.

I'm fine so long as it doesn't have to park out front or use my garden gate.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Timber may be more expensive right now, but both PVC and fibre cement cladding boards are 2x the price of actual cedar.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

I’m not touching anything on my house that isn’t in dire need, or I already have the supplies on hand. For possibly the next couple of years.
This poo poo is insane.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

Darchangel posted:

I’m not touching anything on my house that isn’t in dire need, or I already have the supplies on hand. For possibly the next couple of years.
This poo poo is insane.

it's one of my favorite things right now. I pissed off my dickhead neighbor and now he's building a giant privacy fence around two entire lots and it has to be costing him literally a ton of money.

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

we have an irc channel at #SA_MeetingWomen

Ghostnuke posted:

it's one of my favorite things right now. I pissed off my dickhead neighbor and now he's building a giant privacy fence around two entire lots and it has to be costing him literally a ton of money.

In Covid Russia, fence spites you!

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

What’s the cheapest and easiest way to turn uneven dirt ground into something medium sized castors can roll over while loaded?

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

old sheets of plywood? If you are ok to shuffle them you only need two!

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
dump a layer of rough gravel I think? If you can get your hands on some pottery/stone waste material it could be very cheap. It's what farmers around here use to prevent their tracks from being completely muddy while driving farm equipment over them.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Jaded Burnout posted:

What’s the cheapest and easiest way to turn uneven dirt ground into something medium sized castors can roll over while loaded?
Probably a concrete slab.

E: if you mean for your shop, concrete. If you just need to roll some stuff across the yard or something, a sheet of plywood on the ground works fine. Gravel and casters is no fun.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Temporarily? Plywood.
Permanently? Slabs.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Yeah, just put down some sheets of ply, then roll your things across them.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Granite Octopus posted:

old sheets of plywood? If you are ok to shuffle them you only need two!

Don't have any, or, I should say, don't have any that aren't rotting away in the garden.

Samopsa posted:

dump a layer of rough gravel I think? If you can get your hands on some pottery/stone waste material it could be very cheap. It's what farmers around here use to prevent their tracks from being completely muddy while driving farm equipment over them.

Gravel would be bad for castors I think.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Probably a concrete slab.

E: if you mean for your shop, concrete. If you just need to roll some stuff across the yard or something, a sheet of plywood on the ground works fine. Gravel and casters is no fun.

Temporarily? Plywood.
Permanently? Slabs.

Yeah temporarily for moving heavy poo poo into the garden. I thought plywood but that poo poo's £30/sheet for the crappy stuff, about the same as 11mm OSB3.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Difficult one, what are you moving and what supplies so you have to hand?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

what are you moving

Basically carts and fork trucks/lifters and stuff when unloading deliveries and moving heavy poo poo around (>100kg).

what supplies so you have to hand?

I have some small amount of very tatty ply that's not good enough even for this purpose, and some good sheet material that I'd like to keep.

I've got a bunch of CLS timber.

I have lots of soil and bricks, and a good amount of builder's sand. I was considering building a temporary path but that fails "easy", and buying new ply fails "cheap".

I guess the question is, do you folks have any ideas that's easier than brick path or cheaper than new ply. For reference these are typical prices for sheet materials near me, perhaps I'm missing a trick:
https://www.alsfordtimber.com/sheet-materials

Ideally I'd like whatever I do to last until (but not necessarily through) the winter.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Build some U-profile rails by nailing planks together.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Builders sand, sawdust, whatever, chop down the high points with a spade, sounds like a minimum effort gently caress it job.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Miniature railway complete with hand-built by JB steam locomotive.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Miniature railway complete with hand-built by JB steam locomotive.

:thunk: I have been watching a steam engine kit build on youtube...

Nah that poo poo's for nerds

I'll just make a full scale minecraft minecart with functional redstone

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Right, well, I just quit my job, so that's the end of big ticket frivolous purchases for a while.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Congrats?

The cheapest option is to coerce someone else into helping you carry them.

I would stump up for the OSB, you are going to need some for the workshop roof anyway so buy a couple of spares. Worth doing it right rather than wrecking your decent gear to save 50 quid.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Those laminated boards for poured concrete molds are cheapish and strong.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

peanut posted:

Those laminated boards for poured concrete molds are cheapish and strong.

Thanks for the pointer!

Given that I can’t buy big poo poo on a whim I won’t be getting a manual pallet lifter like I was planning, which means I’m back to plan B of welding myself some carts, which means I’ll just put some chunkier wheels on.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Jaded Burnout posted:

Thanks for the pointer!

Given that I can’t buy big poo poo on a whim I won’t be getting a manual pallet lifter like I was planning, which means I’m back to plan B of welding myself some carts, which means I’ll just put some chunkier wheels on.

Big wheels are the ticket. Pallet jacks are great but they only work on pretty flat surfaces. Mine chokes if I try to run over a stick or something.

LightRailTycoon
Mar 24, 2017

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Big wheels are the ticket. Pallet jacks are great but they only work on pretty flat surfaces. Mine chokes if I try to run over a stick or something.

Classic new guy moment: Tries to cross expansion joint in the concrete floor head on, gets stuck on tiny gap. Even a tiny expansion joint can hang up a pallet jack, unless you cross it at an angle.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

These can take a lot more weight than they say

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Hmm!

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

What exactly are you trying to move and where? Is this like move tablesaw to the workshop or move debris/yard waste from back yard to street or all of the above? Wheelbarrows are great at the latter and the former is enough of a one time thing it might be easier to hire out/rent than get/build a bulky heavy mover thing you have to store etc.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

What exactly are you trying to move and where? Is this like move tablesaw to the workshop or move debris/yard waste from back yard to street or all of the above? Wheelbarrows are great at the latter and the former is enough of a one time thing it might be easier to hire out/rent than get/build a bulky heavy mover thing you have to store etc.

All of the above, plus random materials like stacks of OSB or a dozen+ joists, and other stuff too. I'm intending to put together maybe a couple of quick options now I have a welder.

If I end up not needing them much later on I'll break them back down as stock material.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Can you believe it's already been a year since I had the wood burner fitted?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Jaded Burnout posted:

Can you believe it's already been a year since I had the wood burner fitted?

How much wood has it burned? (If a wood burner could burn wood)

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

How much wood has it burned? (If a wood burner could burn wood)

A fair amount. Maybe 200kg?

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Yeah, big wheels are key. I made a custom one of those out of 2 big-wheel sack trolleys (they were on offer!) and have used it twice to support and move entire cars without front suspension over gravel and for multiple engine and gearbox moves over gravel and grass.
You could also very easily just chuck down some cheap/second hand paving slabs to make a nice solid path. Look on facebook marketplace and you can probably find some 2ft^2 concrete slabs for free locally if you can collect them. Take them back up and put them back on marketplace when you are done!.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Tomarse posted:

Yeah, big wheels are key. I made a custom one of those out of 2 big-wheel sack trolleys (they were on offer!) and have used it twice to support and move entire cars without front suspension over gravel and for multiple engine and gearbox moves over gravel and grass.
You could also very easily just chuck down some cheap/second hand paving slabs to make a nice solid path. Look on facebook marketplace and you can probably find some 2ft^2 concrete slabs for free locally if you can collect them. Take them back up and put them back on marketplace when you are done!.

There's an exciting variety of bases used by the PO for the small sheds etc. One is brick, one is paving slabs, and the other is poured concrete, so yes you're right it would probably save me time to pull up some of the slabs instead. I'll still need to level the ground some but I'd have to do that anyway.