Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

maybe I'm wrong but I got a sense from Emet that he was trying more to convince himself that the "lesser races" really were lesser because if he stopped believing that for one second he would realize he killed billions (trillions?) of People

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

A big part of Emet is that despite his honesty with you, he is very good at lying to himself. If he admits to himself that the sundered are people, that would mean admitting that he is an absolute monster. The only moment that he allows himself to be honest with himself is with his dying gasp (geddit) when he entreats you to remember Amaurot.

edit: ^^^ what he said

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
has anyone made a never forget weeping eagle edit for aumurot?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

hazardousmouse posted:

has anyone made a never forget weeping eagle edit for aumurot?

Weeping Quetzalcoatl?

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

It should be Lahabrea.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I just want to say, I genuinely love that there's finally a final fantasy villain compelling enough as a character that years later people are still mulling over his motivations and the multitude of tragedies inflicted by, and upon, him.

Charismatic enough to be memorable, tragic enough to worth remembering, and monstrous enough that blowing a hole through his torso with a laser axe feels really loving hype.

Badger of Basra posted:

maybe I'm wrong but I got a sense from Emet that he was trying more to convince himself that the "lesser races" really were lesser because if he stopped believing that for one second he would realize he killed billions (trillions?) of People

I feel like this is finally why he can stand up straight for the first time in millennia. He's finally being honest with himself. Not that the WoL really gave him much room not to.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

SirSamVimes posted:

A big part of Emet is that despite his honesty with you, he is very good at lying to himself. If he admits to himself that the sundered are people, that would mean admitting that he is an absolute monster. The only moment that he allows himself to be honest with himself is with his dying gasp (geddit) when he entreats you to remember Amaurot.

edit: ^^^ what he said

This is probably also why he's so insistent that he and his fellows don't Do the Genocide, directly. They always set up conditions for their rear end in a top hat pawns and the empires they build to do it to do themselves - helps reinforce his belief that the sundered are morally as well as aetherically "inferior," and doesn't require him to directly dirty his hands.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Emet-Selch is legitimately one of my favourite fictional villains of all time.

Also I love that FFXIV respects its audience enough to leave his shade in the Seat of Sacrifice visually as a generic Ancient and let us recognise him by the trademark Snap and Sassy Wave (give us the sassy wave emote already I will pay actual bucks for it)

SirSamVimes fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jan 31, 2021

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

SirSamVimes posted:

Emet-Selch is legitimately one of my favourite fictional villains of all time.

Also I love that FFXIV respects its audience enough to leave his shade in the Seat of Sacrifice visually as a generic Ancient and let us recognise him by the trademark Snap and Sassy Wave (give us the sassy wave emote already I will pay actual bucks for it)

I don't think they can actually give us the wave, because it's not actually a stationary motion; he's walking during it, and they can't actually do emotes that move the character.

Also, I'm still baffled about the people that didn't get that was him in the Seat of Sacrifice. There genuinely are people that didn't get that and I don't understand, it felt like it was beating me over the head just with two animations.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jan 31, 2021

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i spent half of the first time i did that fight arguing with someone who insisted that the ancient was Azem and not Emet

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I was of the impression that it was Azem right up until the sassy wave and then I (and everyone else in the party since it was launch day) freaked the gently caress out.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I can only assume that people who didn't read it as Emet skipped cutscenes.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Bruceski posted:

I can only assume that people who didn't read it as Emet skipped cutscenes.

That can't be right, because people who misread it as Azem or Hythlodaeus would still need to know who Azem and Hythlodaeus are, and they only really existed in cutscenes. Hell, I feel like those people are more likely to land on Emet just because they at least sort of know who he is.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

My main confusion was whether it was emet coming back for a brief moment or if he had loaded the crystal with a spell and it was like the equivalent of watching a video of him casting it. I’m leaning towards it being something in between those, where he loaded some kind of summoning magic into the stone to bring his aether back to solve a problem for the WoL to ensure that elidibus didn’t have to keep going on alone, so it really was him but he couldn’t use it to bring himself back to life or anything.

I thought way too much about it, in retrospect.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

he came back from the lifestream basically like a force ghost

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Cleretic posted:

I don't think they can actually give us the wave, because it's not actually a stationary motion; he's walking during it, and they can't actually do emotes that move the character.

Also, I'm still baffled about the people that didn't get that was him in the Seat of Sacrifice. There genuinely are people that didn't get that and I don't understand, it felt like it was beating me over the head just with two animations.

Doing both the animations because when he does the snap you're like "oh wait is that" and then he does the wave and you're like "OH poo poo IT IS".

I too did it on release day and my entire party went absolutely buck wild.

Is "Yours is the seat of X" a formal piece of induction for members of the Convocation? When you invoke Azem you hear Hythlodaeus saying "Yours is the seat of Azem.", and in e8s Gaia says "Mine was the seat of Lohgrif."

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I assume so, since they established that the names went with the seats and occupants took on the title. Emet-Selch was the title assumed by Hades, Lohgrif by Gaia, Mitron by Artemis, and so on. Then those became locked in with the sundering when the Convocation's role changed to trying to get everyone back just the way it was.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

SirSamVimes posted:

Doing both the animations because when he does the snap you're like "oh wait is that" and then he does the wave and you're like "OH poo poo IT IS".
I was of the impression it was Azem at first and when the snap happened i said "those ancient sure do love dramatic snaps," but i figured it out after the wave

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
STill racking my brain going through Hellenistic/Greek mythology trying to figure out everybody's name from what little we know about them.

Lahabrea is Hephaestus clearly given he was the best at phantom creation with an especially strong skill in fire spirits.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

as far as we know isn't Hades the only Ascian whose name matches up with his abilities and/or personality

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Badger of Basra posted:

as far as we know isn't Hades the only Ascian whose name matches up with his abilities and/or personality

Given Mitron (Artemis) turned into a statue of Artemis, and Loghrif (Gaia) was necessary to restore the planet, there's clearly something going on even if it's not directly related to what they did in the before times

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

STill racking my brain going through Hellenistic/Greek mythology trying to figure out everybody's name from what little we know about them.

Lahabrea is Hephaestus clearly given he was the best at phantom creation with an especially strong skill in fire spirits.

I've had Azem = Dionysus kicking around in my head for a while. Liberation, androgyny and grapes!

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Eox posted:

I've had Azem = Dionysus kicking around in my head for a while. Liberation, androgyny and grapes!

my character is currently dressed as a satyr right now so this checks out

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
fukkin NICE! what top is that?

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

hazardousmouse posted:

fukkin NICE! what top is that?

the flame elite caster top, you buy it with allied marks you get from hunts or the blue mage challenges.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

SirSamVimes posted:

Also I love that FFXIV respects its audience enough to leave his shade in the Seat of Sacrifice visually as a generic Ancient

They're ALL dressed like that when they're in their natural huge forms though, besides the Convocation getting the mask which I don't think you can really see in SoS.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Lahabrea is Ares, actually, because like Ares he keeps getting owned in dumb ways.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
If we're really going that all of the Ascians are the Greek pantheon and that's somehow important, I demand to see Prometheus.

Maybe it's Azem, given he literally stole fire, but I feel like naming Prometheus among the gods is missing the point of Prometheus.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Cleretic posted:

If we're really going that all of the Ascians are the Greek pantheon and that's somehow important, I demand to see Prometheus.

Venat is Prometheus for sure

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Chillgamesh posted:

Venat is Prometheus for sure

venat is venat because he wasn't part of the convocation. similarly hythlodaeus had no title

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Mister Olympus posted:

venat is venat because he wasn't part of the convocation. similarly hythlodaeus had no title

gently caress

UNLESS the Hydaelic convocation similarly came up with cool nicknames for themselves to reflect how important they were

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

ImpAtom posted:

I was of the impression that it was Azem right up until the sassy wave and then I (and everyone else in the party since it was launch day) freaked the gently caress out.

Yea the snap was just generic 'powerful cosmic being' enough to be something you can imagine any of them doing but when he did the lil wave my FC mates and I lost our poo poo.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Cleretic posted:

They can do it, there are already a large handful of emotes that offset the character model (see most of the dance emotes).

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
just really want the /slavsquat

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

They can do it, there are already a large handful of emotes that offset the character model (see most of the dance emotes).

Dancing is actually different than that, I believe, because the character's actual position doesn't change from where they started (you can tell by the target circle staying put). To properly do a walking emote they'd either have to have your character move during it, which is probably WAY harder than it sounds, or have them return to where they started when the animation is 'done'.

I remember that The Secret World/Secret World Legends had emotes that moved the character's actual position, and they were jank as hell because they couldn't actually check the character's position against things like barriers or damage floors during one, so you could literally cartwheel through faction barriers. It was so unfixable and relatively-harmless that they just turned it into a feature, and there was a later mission where you had to use that bug to bypass a pressure-sensitive floor.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Cleretic posted:

Dancing is actually different than that, I believe, because the character's actual position doesn't change from where they started (you can tell by the target circle staying put). To properly do a walking emote they'd either have to have your character move during it, which is probably WAY harder than it sounds, or have them return to where they started when the animation is 'done'.

Skeletal animation in games often has a root matrix which allows an animator to offset/rotate an entire model (see the dance emotes in the game). Having a similar emote which rotates and walks the character back while they do the Emet Selch hand wave thing is entirely within reason. Again, see many of the existing dance emotes (and other emotes that shift a character relative to their position).

[Edit] Note this would be separate from animation based movement that some games have (say, Psychonauts) where an animation directly moves a character. You wouldn't need that for an emote, you would just need to play an animation.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
Personally I forsee any kind of emote starting with the player model turning 180 degrees to do a dismissive air-hand-shake, rather than it being directly tied to 'if (playerWalk)', etc.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Cleretic posted:

Maybe it's Azem, given he literally stole fire, but I feel like naming Prometheus among the gods is missing the point of Prometheus.

One of them is named Gaia so titans are fair game.

I feel like Azem can't be given an official god/titan name because their gender is whatever WoL's gender is and all the Greek pantheon members are gendered.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

SirSamVimes posted:

I feel like Azem can't be given an official god/titan name because their gender is whatever WoL's gender is and all the Greek pantheon members are gendered.

Artemis

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Also, an unrelated, largely anticlimactic spoilery prediction I remembered while doing my roulettes. Or perhaps just a hope, because I think it would be an interesting turn.

All we really know about The Sound that caused the end of the Ancient's world was... well, that it was a sound. They heard a sound from the earth, and then everyone freaked the gently caress out. And we're all kind of assuming that in a few years, we're gonna turn our attention to whatever made The Sound, and fight it.

...what if there's nothing there? What if The Sound was just that: a noise that freaked people out, made them panic and lose control, thereby causing more people to panic? The entire paradise of Amaurot was brought undone not by some external force or nefarious plot, but just because even all-powerful humans are... kinda dumb, and prone to wrecking ourselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Cleretic posted:

Also, an unrelated, largely anticlimactic spoilery prediction I remembered while doing my roulettes. Or perhaps just a hope, because I think it would be an interesting turn.

All we really know about The Sound that caused the end of the Ancient's world was... well, that it was a sound. They heard a sound from the earth, and then everyone freaked the gently caress out. And we're all kind of assuming that in a few years, we're gonna turn our attention to whatever made The Sound, and fight it.

...what if there's nothing there? What if The Sound was just that: a noise that freaked people out, made them panic and lose control, thereby causing more people to panic? The entire paradise of Amaurot was brought undone not by some external force or nefarious plot, but just because even all-powerful humans are... kinda dumb, and prone to wrecking ourselves.

I’d kind of love this?