Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

AlphaKeny1 posted:

i hope peanut butter can do another run at sgdq

i'm sure jsr is already theorycrafting what other games he can teach pb to play

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?

You both, and the entire crew, did an amazing job. Not only the actual runs and tech, but the energy. The GDQ community is one of the least toxic groups I've ever been a part of. The environment of inclusion and positivity is so uplifting, and so necessary right now. I know so many people for whom GDQ events, and associated runner communities, made a quantifiable difference in their lives. None of that would exist without the work of the event crews setting an example and holding the community to those standards. Kudos on a great event, and thank you.

Effortpost over.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
The granny runs were so good and funny. I love how the runner has to almost constantly keep moving things forward in a somewhat improvised way

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I watched Carcinogen's RE2 remake no hits run and that was drat insane. Gonna watch Granny next.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

TeaJay posted:

I watched Carcinogen's RE2 remake no hits run and that was drat insane. Gonna watch Granny next.

it can't be overstated how impressive that run was, no hit is hard enough to do in the comfort of your own house, much less with the pressure of 70k eyes on you

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Great job by all the staff and volunteers and I'm going to second everyone who called out the flow and schedule management as an area where there was a noticeable improvement over previous events. Now I have a whole lot to catch up on

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i'm sure jsr is already theorycrafting what other games he can teach pb to play

JSR listed a few other games Peanut Butter has played already but I can’t remember all that he mentioned. I remember that PB was able to beat Glass Joe in MTPO and he was working on getting PB to win a game in a Ken Griffey baseball game
Edit: this was in a Sunday interview with Keizaron I believe

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

https://x.com/zic3x/status/1749184295782973625?s=61&t=ErEM1ZTFjv-zQMVy_zKcpg

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Countblanc posted:

didn't see it mentioned on the "good run roundup" posts so I wanted to mention Arkanoid. probably the standout run of the marathon for me even if it's just an example of Games Done Normally

This is one of the few I watched and it's a crazy run

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Countblanc posted:

didn't see it mentioned on the "good run roundup" posts so I wanted to mention Arkanoid. probably the standout run of the marathon for me even if it's just an example of Games Done Normally

oh yeah that was bonkers

there are some reflex shots he does that seem absolutely physically impossible towards the end of the run

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Coffee Jones posted:

So y’all discovered the bug live in front of everyone and came up with a workaround at the finale of gaming’s biggest marathon?

1. That’s some diffusing a bomb ‘clip the red wire’ poo poo
2. How did they find it out? It’s a unity game so uh, debugger tools for the scripting system so someone pulled up antlion’s script and was able to figure out the conditions for the HP refill bug?

It’s not exactly a new issue, and as mentioned “heals to full” is not a behavior that boss or any boss in FFV has so people quickly realized something was wrong.

The problem is that there are 5 different versions of FF5, and while some of them have been heavily dissected (especially SNES and GBA) each version has its own surprising quirks.

Sleeping Antlion and killing it is a completely viable strategy in the SNES and GBA versions; whomever came up with that was completely on point since most bosses aren’t susceptible to sleep. However it doesn’t work on Pixel Remaster because the developers tried to prevent you from hitting enemies so hard that you break their scripting.

At least now hopefully someone will document this for the next Fiesta.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

If you havent seen Granny; The Nanthology / Nan Theft Auto / the Grandomizer, you better go watch it asap.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

highly recommend Amyrlinn's Aragami, which was an extra time bonus run added to the schedule

loving hilarious from start to finish

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

The RE2 Remake no hit run was amazing, it was great seeing Carcingoen running since his original RE2 Remake speedrun vids are what I followed to do my own S+ runs!

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

Nemo2342 posted:

It’s not exactly a new issue, and as mentioned “heals to full” is not a behavior that boss or any boss in FFV has so people quickly realized something was wrong.

Rewatching you can see the exact moment when they realized "well we REALLY don't know what's going on"

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Nemo2342 posted:

The problem is that there are 5 different versions of FF5, and while some of them have been heavily dissected (especially SNES and GBA) each version has its own surprising quirks.

Sleeping Antlion and killing it is a completely viable strategy in the SNES and GBA versions; whomever came up with that was completely on point since most bosses aren’t susceptible to sleep. However it doesn’t work on Pixel Remaster because the developers tried to prevent you from hitting enemies so hard that you break their scripting.

At least now hopefully someone will document this for the next Fiesta.

‘Rather than fix this bug let’s punish the user to avoid it’ is a big brained PM/technical manager choice

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

emdash posted:

The granny runs were so good and funny. I love how the runner has to almost constantly keep moving things forward in a somewhat improvised way

It was really funny how the runner built off of the Bloodstained run before it - where the audience was asked to "Awww" every time they saw a dog or cat enemy - by asking the audience to make a weird "Ugghhhh" grunt every time they saw Granny.

And then within five minutes of that he started making genuine noises of surprise as Granny kept catching him off-guard.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

i 100% startled straight up in my chair the first time he got jumpscared by granny on the stairs, which i presume is the whole point of streaming it normally

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

the yeti posted:

‘Rather than fix this bug let’s punish the user to avoid it’ is a big brained PM/technical manager choice

:pseudo: Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by … uh … video games being video games.

Something like “restore HP to 100%” feels like a catch-all case in the logic. Like they couldn’t account for every combination of effects and scripts so they just fall back to a known good state instead of crashing or soft locking.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Coffee Jones posted:

:pseudo: Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by … uh … video games being video games.

Something like “restore HP to 100%” feels like a catch-all case in the logic. Like they couldn’t account for every combination of effects and scripts so they just fall back to a known good state instead of crashing or soft locking.

Which is probably a reasonable thing to do in FF5, a game known for its vast combinations of ways to kill things (like dropping Old on an enemy and then counting in your head until their level hits a multiple of 5 so Level 5 Doom will one-shot them).

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

That FFV run was incredible. Great couch, great runner, fun game. Plus once the tracker hit 2,4 million and the crowd started doing the count along HOORAY! thing, it just went to the next level.

Out of all the things that could've become the GDQ meme for this year, I am glad it was HOORAY!

Great GDQ in all, thanks to everyone who worked hard to give it to us.

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
Yeah I thought for sure "Oooooh, Banana" was gonna be meme of the marathon.

Ravus
Jan 15, 2009

TheMopeSquad posted:

Yeah I thought for sure "Oooooh, Banana" was gonna be meme of the marathon.

Monkey cannot begin to grasp the absolute power of Bluey. (Hooray!)

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

AlphaKeny1 posted:

i hope peanut butter can do another run at sgdq

ok now AGDQ is done I can bravely come out and say it: the dog run was a stupid gimmick and is no different from the Can You Pet The Dog twitter account

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

wtf

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

goblin week posted:

ok now AGDQ is done I can bravely come out and say it: the dog run was a stupid gimmick and is no different from the Can You Pet The Dog twitter account

fortunately, AGDQ is large enough to allow for a funny gimmick run, especially a funny gimmick run that's already the most viewed VOD of the event

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

stupid gimmick runs are the best part of gdq

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

getting a shiba inu to follow commands for 30 minutes without wandering out of frame is frankly on the level of blindfolded punchout anyways

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

yeah i would gladly watch a stupid gimmick run for these events that's fun as gently caress compared with 'is this ninja gaiden run the most optimal but its 0.2sec short of wr'

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Well dang, they're just replaying the whole thing on the GDQ channel. Sure I'll watch it again, why not?

Ravus
Jan 15, 2009

someone awful. posted:

stupid gimmick runs are the best part of gdq

Gimmicks and showcases are a nice change of pace when done the correct amount; they it nailed this time.

Paying2Lurk posted:

Well dang, they're just replaying the whole thing on the GDQ channel. Sure I'll watch it again, why not?

Holy poo poo, really? That's GENIUS! To twitch.

e; It's EVEN BETTER than that, it's offset by about 5 hours, so I can catch different runs while at work. Next time if they can do a clean 12h that would be perfect, but this is still great.

Ravus fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Jan 22, 2024

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

goblin week posted:

Av-post combo

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

goblin week posted:

You're right, a guy training a famously hard to train dog breed to pay attention and follow instructions well enough to speed run a game is really no different than a twitter account that lists games where you can pet dogs.

This is a very good opinion, goblin week.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Any true Poster has already long since had their fill of “heckin pupperino good doggo” style posting. The gyromite speedrun was the “Rickroll at the Macy’s Thanksgiving Parade” of dog-related activities. I am pro-dog and take no pleasure in reporting this.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Vermain posted:

getting a shiba inu to follow commands for 30 minutes without wandering out of frame is frankly on the level of blindfolded punchout anyways

this

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I'm totally on board for PAS* at AGDQ

*Pet-Assisted Speedruns

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Shoehead posted:

Av-post combo

god drat it

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

You're right, a guy training a famously hard to train dog breed to pay attention and follow instructions well enough to speed run a game is really no different than a twitter account that lists games where you can pet dogs.

This is a very good opinion, goblin week.

it capitalizes on the same le meme doggo sentiment!

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

goblin week posted:

it capitalizes on the same le meme doggo sentiment!

Who cares? It was a fun run

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Snake Maze posted:

Any true Poster has already long since had their fill of “heckin pupperino good doggo” style posting. The gyromite speedrun was the “Rickroll at the Macy’s Thanksgiving Parade” of dog-related activities. I am pro-dog and take no pleasure in reporting this.

I’m glad I don’t know what any of this means

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

As long as we're bein crusty about speedrunning at the charity stream event: i dont like it when modded skins/replacement assets are put in game. Leave the original aesthetic alone. Ty and goodnight