Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
there are times i can get super high detail with my imagination and i can just see something super duper clearly but other times its just black and white patches yeah

its not something ive ever thought about its just something that happens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I pretty much never think in black and white, and my thoughts can be as detailed and vivid as I want them to be. They're definitely ethereal, though - if I stop concentrating on a specific detail, it is liable to change into something else. It's not like I'm there, but I can definitely focus on it instead of what I'm actually looking at.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
I can imagine very specific things, I can visualize anything I've experienced or come up with something new in my head. I always assumed everyone could...

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Knifegrab posted:

I can imagine very specific things, I can visualize anything I've experienced or come up with something new in my head. I always assumed everyone could...

Yeah it's just natural for me to form images. Where it falls down is trying to reproduce those images on paper/electronically, as I don't know the details and my brain just kinda glossed over them in my mind's eye.

Hierophant
Oct 21, 2007
Regarding the lotus image/logo, an unused variation found in the game files: loc_end2_logo-diffuse.texture

Edit: While I am revealing the dark secrets of the files, here's what the player character Carl looks like: http://imgur.com/d1FoXka.

Hierophant fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Jun 12, 2016

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
Stupid question; how do you dream without visual imagination?

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
I think most if not all still dream like normal. I have very weak visual imagination and have incredibly vivid dreams. The brain is weird.

Edit: I even saw one post from someone who claimed to have no visual imagination except in the brief transition from dreaming (as normal) to being awake, when they pictured whatever they imagined. It seems to not be less an outright lack of capability and more a lack of being able to access it consciously.

Modus Pwnens fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jun 12, 2016

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
"Weak visual imagination" sounds very subjective to me.

How can anyone know it's weak? How can you compare it to someone else?

I'm not dismissing it entirely but it really sounds like some kind of made up condition. Imagination is something that can be trained

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

"Weak visual imagination" sounds very subjective to me.

How can anyone know it's weak? How can you compare it to someone else?

I'm not dismissing it entirely but it really sounds like some kind of made up condition. Imagination is something that can be trained

It is subjective. But until this week I had no idea people could close their eyes and see scenes or people they've met. I always thought it was like a figure of speech. If I try really hard, I can picture some small details of things, like maybe a smile on a photograph I've seen many times, but it's kind of hazy and fleeting, like chasing after a fog trail? Gone after maybe a half a second, if that. It's really hard to describe since it's so subjective and we're not trained to put language to it. I'm definitely trying to practice to see if I can develop it. Usually when I am remembering something the memory more forms as a series of connections and relationships, just abstract knowledge I'm accessing, rather than a fully (or partially formed) picture.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
Trying to visualize something in your mind IS difficult and mostly details and fleeting images.

It's so difficult I believe it's part of the Buddhist monks training.

e: I mean it's difficult to do it consciously. It works better when it involves memories linked to strong emotions. Yeah the brain is weird. I still think this "no visual imagination" thing is super subjective

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jun 12, 2016

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

Modus Pwnens posted:

It is subjective. But until this week I had no idea people could close their eyes and see scenes or people they've met. I always thought it was like a figure of speech. If I try really hard, I can picture some small details of things, like maybe a smile on a photograph I've seen many times, but it's kind of hazy and fleeting, like chasing after a fog trail? Gone after maybe a half a second, if that. It's really hard to describe since it's so subjective and we're not trained to put language to it. I'm definitely trying to practice to see if I can develop it. Usually when I am remembering something the memory more forms as a series of connections and relationships, just abstract knowledge I'm accessing, rather than a fully (or partially formed) picture.

This discussion and article might be interesting to you
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=11554894

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Analytic Engine posted:

This was very interesting because I figured it would be strongly linked to the ability to draw and that guy can't even draw a dog.

It does sound like a neurological condition but still is probably extremely rare and "having difficulties visualising" is probably not the same and more linked to concentration.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Analytic Engine posted:

Thanks, I'll give that a read. The first few comment chains are fascinating, at least.

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

It does sound like a neurological condition but still is probably extremely rare and "having difficulties visualising" is probably not the same and more linked to concentration.

Whether it's something that could be called a condition or not, I don't know, and I don't find that distinction particularly interesting, but it seems like everyone just goes about imagining things in a way that works for them and we all assume that our way is the normal way, when there's really quite a lot of variety. I can see how a lack of (or undeveloped) visual imagination could be a benefit for a creative lead like Jonathan Blow. It would be easier to give your team more creative freedom when you only think of desired moods and design goals, judging on the merits rather than against something you've already pictured. I've never had the problem of being unable to enjoy a movie based on a book I've read because some character or location doesn't match what I pictured (because I haven't).

I'd be curious to learn how malleable it is (or isn't) once someone reaches adulthood. I have a feeling that in my case I could develop it through practice / meditation, but I don't know.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
I understand. My point was that in my opinion it's normal to find it very difficult to consciously try to visualize a full picture like you see one with open eyes so people shouldn't believe this to be common and normal.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
Just bought this and playing it through for the first time. I've beaten the Symmetry section (which, from the trophies, appear to be the one everyone does first or is at least the more commonly solved) and done a few other interesting things like cycle back and do the puzzle/find the audio log behind the starting castle, and find the boat/map..

It's interesting that I can't see an immediate use for some puzzles, like, I've solved the row of blue and white puzzles immediately outside the starting castle.

I feel like I'm almost playing the game "wrong" though. Like I did the first several tree puzzles and then went through a gate to a bunch of drawings and couldn't find the next panel. There's also been times where I've been progressing and what I though the rule was changed, or I DID get through on semi guesswork. Like, I took the boat to a place where solving the panels starts to make a bridge, and I've worked through four of those panels managing to get to the next one and I'm still not sure what the overarching "rules" are regarding thos orange stars.

I'm Not looking for answers on what to do next or specific hints, but general observations about the way I'm going about this might be less overtly spoilery.

Edit: scratch that, I'm on the TENTH panel in that orange star sequence that involves creating a bridge, and I'm not just brute force random guessing. The only rule I'm following is 'treat the stars inconsistently' but that can't be right

BOAT SHOWBOAT fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Sep 16, 2016

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
I wouldn't say you're doing anything wrong. Think of the game as being about learning; you generally won't completely understand a mechanic the first time you encounter it, you have to discover its subtleties over time. And sometimes the most important result of completing a puzzle isn't what it unlocks in the world (if anything); it's what you've learned from the solution.

Edit response: That's a long sequence, and it builds slowly. One piece of advice I would give - not just about that section, but about the whole game - is not to treat a puzzle as done just because you've solved it. It's often just as valuable to go back to older puzzles and experiment with what does or doesn't work to try and get a better understanding of the mechanics.

NRVNQSR fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Sep 16, 2016

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

I feel like I'm almost playing the game "wrong" though. Like I did the first several tree puzzles and then went through a gate to a bunch of drawings and couldn't find the next panel. There's also been times where I've been progressing and what I though the rule was changed, or I DID get through on semi guesswork. Like, I took the boat to a place where solving the panels starts to make a bridge, and I've worked through four of those panels managing to get to the next one and I'm still not sure what the overarching "rules" are regarding thos orange stars.

I'm Not looking for answers on what to do next or specific hints, but general observations about the way I'm going about this might be less overtly spoilery.

Edit: scratch that, I'm on the TENTH panel in that orange star sequence that involves creating a bridge, and I'm not just brute force random guessing. The only rule I'm following is 'treat the stars inconsistently' but that can't be right

I worked out the rules to that area intuitively well before I actually nailed them down properly.

There are definitely areas of the island that rely on things you've learnt elsewhere; the most obvious early example is the town in the centre.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Lots of things

In the area that you've mentioned, and in future areas, if you're not understanding something but solving it anyways, try to fail the easiest puzzle in the sequence. If you literally can't fail the easiest one, then try failing the next easiest one and so on. Make a theory about why the fail fails and why the success succeeds, then test it on a puzzle a little later.

Many puzzles have a rule set that is fully understood over a period of time rather than just instantly when you solve the first one or two. It's more like an evolution of your complete understanding of how certain elements work.

Also, if you don't mind me asking, when and where did you find the boat? It's rare to hear someone found it that early in the game, but you did mention backtracking so I'm wondering which location you found it at.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?

Superrodan posted:

Also, if you don't mind me asking, when and where did you find the boat? It's rare to hear someone found it that early in the game, but you did mention backtracking so I'm wondering which location you found it at.

I might be blurring several areas into one, but I decided to just walk over to where the lasers point to get my bearings on the final(?) area for later. Around the back of that, there is a cave puzzle area with cyan/white/pink flowers next to a puzzle with cyan/white/pink circles! I solved the first few of those with the rule "only touch the white dot once but touch the others on multiple sides" but that only got me past the first few and I realised that wasn't quite it. Then I left the cave walked down the beach, found the little rectangular "puzzle" which summoned the boat. I took the boat to the bridge area I'm at now (which is inaccessible otherwise? Maybe?)

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

You skipped WAY the hell ahead. The flower puzzle with the colored squares is an evolution on a much simpler puzzle.

Likewise, the bridges are supposed to be reached by solving simpler puzzles. The boat is a shortcut.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

KillHour posted:

You skipped WAY the hell ahead. The flower puzzle with the colored squares is an evolution on a much simpler puzzle.

Likewise, the bridges are supposed to be reached by solving simpler puzzles. The boat is a shortcut.

This seems like exactly the sort of advice the original poster was saying they didn't want? Also most of it isn't right.

(Detailed spoilers) They're in the treetops, not the swamp, so the boat is the only way to reach it and there are no simpler puzzles to solve. They mentioned that they'd already done the blue puzzles at the start, so they've already done all the prerequisites for the greenhouse. Really I'd say that almost nothing in the game can be considered "skipping ahead" unless you've been spoiled on it; the puzzle structure is designed to be approached in almost any order.

edit: (Unrelated game structure spoilers) I almost wish the early stages of the game weren't quite so breadcrumbed. I think a typical player would have a much better experience of the game going start-symmetry-treetops or start-symmetry-greenhouse than the usual start-symmetry-desert. Or maybe I just wish the desert area was better. :sigh:

NRVNQSR fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Sep 18, 2016

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I thought they meant the swamp bridges they rotate. :doh:

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
Just started playing this last week, and mostly loving it. But gently caress this shadow trees area. How am I supposed to do this? The only thing I can see that even remotely resembles a clue is the tree above kind of seems to line up with the clouds but then that doesn't match the rest of the puzzle solutions. It also looks likes it's the trunks that are blocking the maze path so I can't really work backwards because they would have been there before everything was broken.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

screaden posted:

Just started playing this last week, and mostly loving it. But gently caress this shadow trees area. How am I supposed to do this? The only thing I can see that even remotely resembles a clue is the tree above kind of seems to line up with the clouds but then that doesn't match the rest of the puzzle solutions. It also looks likes it's the trunks that are blocking the maze path so I can't really work backwards because they would have been there before everything was broken.

It's been a long time and I can't remember exactly the answer to this puzzle, but without spoiling anything you have to find a way to get the other half of the maze to appear. Either something is blocking the light, either another point of view is required.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
If I'm remembering this one correctly, it took me some trial and error to get even after finding the solution and stood out as one of the more poorly executed puzzles in the game.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

It's funny, I got those shadow puzzles almost immediately. I consider it one of the easier areas.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

screaden posted:

It's one of the easy ones, but maybe it's the first in the series that teaches this new variation. One half of the solution is already shown on the panel; and the right half of the solution is on the thing (a trunk I think) that is blocking the light for the right side

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Reminder that you can activate panels from any distance.

Mykroft
Aug 25, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

KillHour posted:

It's funny, I got those shadow puzzles almost immediately. I consider it one of the easier areas.

It was incredibly hard for me the first time, not because I didn't understand the mechanic, but because I played the game on a garbage PC and the game didn't render some of the shadows very well. When I replayed on console I was surprised just how fast I blew through that section.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

KillHour posted:

Same here.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
A bump in the witness thread.

God I miss this game. Wish I could wipe my memory and experience it all over again.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Modus Pwnens posted:

It is subjective. But until this week I had no idea people could close their eyes and see scenes or people they've met.

Until today, I had no idea there were people who can't do that. It sounds absolutely terrible! :(

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

AbstractNapper posted:

It's one of the easy ones, but maybe it's the first in the series that teaches this new variation. One half of the solution is already shown on the panel; and the right half of the solution is on the thing (a trunk I think) that is blocking the light for the right side

Bah, I even mentioned the tree trunks!

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Knifegrab posted:

A bump in the witness thread.

God I miss this game. Wish I could wipe my memory and experience it all over again.

I think I might replay it, hopefully enough time has passed that I've forgotten enough?

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

algebra testes posted:

I think I might replay it, hopefully enough time has passed that I've forgotten enough?

Unfortunately if you can look at a hollow blue tetromino and know what it does then you still remember too much. At that point you're probably better off heading to The Windmill for more puzzles.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

algebra testes posted:

I recently started it up to finish it off, and forgot where I was, so I started a new game and found 2 hidden puzzles and an audio log I missed before. Also I more or less forgot the actual solutions, though I remember the "rules".

tobeannouncd
Oct 2, 2011

The tiger took my family
There's an interesting interview with Adam Conover and Jonathan Blow about The Witness if you're interested: http://www.maximumfun.org/adam-ruins-everything/indie-video-game-designer-jonathan-blow-unpacks-witness

edit: I don't grammar well

tobeannouncd fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jan 23, 2017

knows a black guy
Jun 18, 2005

MajorMarcus posted:

There's an interesting interview with Adam Conover Jonathan Blow about The Witness if you're interested: http://www.maximumfun.org/adam-ruins-everything/indie-video-game-designer-jonathan-blow-unpacks-witness

Thanks!

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Well I guess I finished the first ending thingamajig. Probably shouldn't have come back to it in a kind of bad mood but whatever. I just did not like the mountain. And some of them were making my eyes hurt. So gently caress it, I used a guide. Did all the lasers before I quit last time at least.

And then I did a few environmental bits and finally finished an obelisk and that cheered me up a bit and I think I'll leave it at that because even those piece of piss timed/randomised puzzles were stressing me out and I heard there were some hard ones and I do not need that. I can just see the rage-quit that would sour me on the game now.

Really liked most of this, gonna go out on a high note at least. And I might pop back and wander around looking for puzzles. It's a very pretty island with some cool little details. A Good Game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

I put off playing this for way too long.

Holy poo poo this timed area at the end. drat.

Realized pretty quickly what it was. Started out easy enough, it tricked me into complacency. Got as far as the two sets of three panels, where I assume only one of each set is solvable, then got stuck. That music! The goosebumps! My heartbeat!

This is fun.

I might have changed my mind in an hour.

e: THE FOUR PUZZLES BEFORE THE SETS OF THREE CHANGE ORDER EACH TIME!?!

Telum fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Feb 1, 2017

• Locked thread