Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Godzilla07 posted:

You said fun and janky, so Fiat 500 Abarth. The Nissan Juke in Nismo trim is definitely weird, and maybe could be fun too? The Nissan Cube and Toyota C-HR are weird but not fun. The second-gen Cadillac CTS Coupe is kinda funky too.

For something that is fun but not weird, there's the Nissan 350Z/370Z. If you need 4 doors, then look at the Z's 4-door sister, the Infiniti G35/G37.

Oh yeah, throw in the Cadillac ATS as well I guess? Dunno if you can get it in your price range. I like the Fiat, Juke, and C-HR suggestions.

Honda CR-Z if you can find one of the four they made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Orvin posted:

Finally got around to buying the people mover I had asked about awhile ago. Ended up going with thread favorite Honda Odyssey. The Costco price on a new 2020 EX-L seemed to be really really good. MSRP was a touch over $39,000. And the price we got was $33,6xx.

Cross shopping the Traverse, Atlas, and Odyssey, it was really kind of amazing how much space the van really had in it. Especially with the rear seat up.

It got a facelift for 2021. It sounds like a pretty good deal. Enjoy! Our 2018 is a great people mover. I just installed a hitch on it last week so we can haul some more stuff with it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm very intrigued by the KIA Singer and have chatted with Kill Hour about his but there isn't a single one for sale anywhere nearby so I can't even get a test drive.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Rhyno posted:

I'm very intrigued by the KIA Singer and have chatted with Kill Hour about his but there isn't a single one for sale anywhere nearby so I can't even get a test drive.

Where-ish do you live? A Kia dealership could probably dealer trade for one if you were serious about it.

You can also test a G70 - same platform.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
NE, Indiana. The Hyundai dealer has no G70s either. I'm still struggling with the idea of dropping that much on a car, im a poor at heart.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Rhyno posted:

NE, Indiana. The Hyundai dealer has no G70s either. I'm still struggling with the idea of dropping that much on a car, im a poor at heart.

I'm seeing a few about an hour out of Fort Wayne.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/815375301/overview/

It's not a good deal (you could probably get a new one at that price), but it will tell you whether you want one.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I was in Kokomo on Saturday and the one in town was out on a test drive when we stopped. The Stinger seems like the right car to take the place of my MS6 that I sold 6 months ago. I'll put an effort post together later and you guys can tell me how dumb I am.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Make sure you test drive a GT and not a GT-Line. They're not comparable.

There's also a pretty significant step-up in interior quality and features between the GT1 and GT2, if you care.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

Just how terrible of an idea is the Alfa Romeo Giulia? The 4 cylinder not the 6. There's a lot of them with very few miles available. I keep hearing they have reliability problems but most of the data I see says they aren't really any worse now than the other non-japanese import luxury brands and the reputation is a carryover from old alphas.

My car brain sees trouble, but my car dick sees a near-new Italian sports sedan for $25k.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I drove one and it just didn't feel very special. Maybe the Quadrofogliwhatever would be better.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Okay a little effort

Proposed Budget:I have two tiers. A far in the $15-17K range or a car in the $32-35K range
New or Used: Used
Body Style: 2 door sports car or 4 door sports sedan
How will you be using the car?: daily driving, road trips
What aspects are most important to you? Enjoying what I drive, an engaging driving experience.

So after 9 years of ownership I parted ways with my Mazdaspeed6 early this year. It was a quick (not fast) and fun to drive car. Had it been less of a basket case, more reliable and a better aftermarket I would have kept it. So I'm very open to a similar idea, tubrocharged, AWD (or RWD). Manual is not a must have. I'm also about to be very financially flexible for the first time in my life and my wife has okay and encouraged me to find a new car. I've test driven loads of cars, some more extensively than others and I've got some options I'm leaning towards.

Genesis Coupe BK2. Last year I drove a Genesis Coupe BK1 with the 2.0 and I really enjoyed it. I like the styling of the BK2 even more and the 3.8 V6 is fairly impressive on paper and from the loads of YT videos I've watched. These can be had pretty cheaply depending on trim. I've seen a few '13-'14s for under $15K.

S550 Mustang. I've honestly moved away from this option because it seems I can't get into the "good" cars for under $40K. And despite being 40+ with a single speeding ticket in 10 years, the insurance quotes are pretty lovely. I love the styling and the sound of the Coyote but I don't know if I'm a Mustang guy.

Kia Stinger GT(1?) (2?). I've driven the base Stinger and it was neat but I wasn't really hooked on it. But I keep seeing this yellow one around town and now I'm diving into yt videos and it really does seem like a viable option for me. But there's none nearby to test drive, the closest is an AWD model and hour away but I want to test drive both awd and rwd models.

Genesis G70. This is essentially a luxury Stinger on a shortened wheelbase from what I've read. And a 2019 G70 can be had for the same price as a 2019 Stinger so I'm trying to figure out what the advantage of the Stinger is. Also the G70 is gorgeous.

But back down to the main issue, I can not justify spending so much on a car. I was poor for so long that I can't make it make sense in my head. If i'm missing anything in my Stinger/G70 comparison please fill me in.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Buy a goddamn Miata. The hardtop version even fixes the winter issues

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
No.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Even if you have money spending a lot of money on a car is dumb.

Just to throw some ideas out that might be towards the bottom of your range - how about a used Legacy GT or WRX? Cadillac ATS/CTS? Audi A4? Nissan 370Z? comedy option FR-S with a S/C kit?

I don't think the Stinger provides anything over the G70 unless you want length and also a fastback body style. I thought the gencoupe was pretty dull but if you like it go for it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Subarus are definitely not for me. Haven't really considered Cadillacs but I will do some looking. 370zs are just awful. Audi styling isn't really doing anything for me lately aside from the TT.

Alongside the GenCoupe I pondered a 2005+ Mustang GT. I've the style but holy hell are they awful.

I really dig the GC's just based on appearance alone. But I absolutely need to drive a 3.8 before I make up my mind there.

Edit: and the major problem I neglected to mention, aside from Mustangs there are none of the others I listed for sale anywhere nearby.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Even if you have money spending a lot of money on a car is dumb.

Just to throw some ideas out that might be towards the bottom of your range - how about a used Legacy GT or WRX? Cadillac ATS/CTS? Audi A4? Nissan 370Z? comedy option FR-S with a S/C kit?

I don't think the Stinger provides anything over the G70 unless you want length and also a fastback body style. I thought the gencoupe was pretty dull but if you like it go for it.

Counterpoint - everything we spend money on is dumb and we can't take it when we die. Spend it on what makes you happy.

G70 vs Stinger probably comes down to which one you think looks better, honestly. They drive 99% the same. GT is nothing like the 4 banger model. It's like comparing a Merc C300 to a C43 AMG.

Actually, a C43 might not be a terrible idea if you can find one with low miles.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I figured it was just sheet metal in the end. The G70 is really, really nice to look at.

This is what I was using as a price comparison benchmark.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inven...sting=271879468

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

KillHour posted:

Counterpoint - everything we spend money on is dumb and we can't take it when we die. Spend it on what makes you happy.

this is a BFC thread as well and any time I hear "i'm about to be financially flexible" what the poster is actually saying is that the check is in the mail. if you've got the money, sure, i agree with you. spending money in anticipation of having money is just bad business.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

there's also the big beefy british boy the XF and the car that nobody bought the XE which vaguely meet your criteria pay no attention to the giant billboard behind me that says WHAT ABOUT THE RELIABILITY

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well to be clear, we just paid off a bunch of debt and we're making a decent profit selling our house which we will be using part of the pay off our remaining debt. So the budget for a car has expanded is all.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

this is a BFC thread as well and any time I hear "i'm about to be financially flexible" what the poster is actually saying is that the check is in the mail. if you've got the money, sure, i agree with you. spending money in anticipation of having money is just bad business.

This is fair, although I don't think it's the case here (Rhyno sent me some PMs before posting in the thread). Then again, I'm the guy spending twice as much on cars as on a mortgage, so maybe don't take financial advice from me.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I guess I should have said stability instead of flexibility? My job is pretty secure, we can barely keep up with demand and i just got a glowing review so unless I get hurt I will probably be employed for a while yet.

I just want a cool car.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I think you have a decent list of cars. I'd just go test drive some of them. Cars are funny things to some people, they evoke emotions and you want something that makes you happy whenever you drive it. Things can look amazing on paper as well, but when you go drive them you find out you don't like them/don't care for them.

I remember when I was much much younger, I was amped up to buy a Acura RSX, but I didn't like it once I drove it. There was no place to put your drat elbow, no armrest in the center console.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Truth. I drove a bunch of cars last fall that I loved on paper but the actual experience was lackluster.

Like the RF Miata. Very cool and a joy to drive but loving miserable with the targa down.

XenoCrab
Mar 30, 2012

XenoCrab is the least important character in the Alien movie franchise. He's not even in the top ten characters.

skipdogg posted:

I remember when I was much much younger, I was amped up to buy a Acura RSX, but I didn't like it once I drove it. There was no place to put your drat elbow, no armrest in the center console.

Armrest comfort is one of my top requirements when buying a car. I feel like if a car has a bad center console armrest then the rest of the design is suspect when it comes to driver/passenger comfort.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Rhyno posted:

Well to be clear, we just paid off a bunch of debt and we're making a decent profit selling our house which we will be using part of the pay off our remaining debt. So the budget for a car has expanded is all.

So you want to add more debt?

IS-F
V8 sounds loving amazing
They actually driver nice, particularly the later ones with the LSD
It's still a Lexus so it will loving work.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I don't see what the problem with adding new debt is.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Not having a car payment is loving amazing.
But if you want one, IS-F.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

nm posted:

Not having a car payment would just indicate to me that I don't have enough cars :v:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Prices on IS Fs are stupid. I dismissed it from the list based on that alone. 150k on the clock and $20K

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Rhyno posted:

Prices on IS Fs are stupid. I dismissed it from the list based on that alone. 150k on the clock and $20K
People are suggesting used Jags. The 150k IS-F will last longer and have fewer problems.
IS-Fs are tough, you gotta shop private parties and dealers in BFE, and be willing to travel.

edit: C6 corvette and a mazda 2 as a winter car.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Rhyno posted:

Edit: and the major problem I neglected to mention, aside from Mustangs there are none of the others I listed for sale anywhere nearby.

This speaks to another issue: how much of a pain would it be for you to get any of the cars on your longlist serviced in your part of the world? This factor may seriously constrain your choices. It might not apply if you're willing to do your own work and wait for parts to come in the mail.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

1.79% apr on a loan with about $9k left on it.

I’ve got plenty in savings but my ally HYSA just dropped to .8%.

Should I just pay the car off and put the monthly $270 car payment into savings?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

If it was any other year you would be much better off investing that money into some index funds and then continuing to make the loan payments. You'll get a much better return than the interest on your car loan.

But it's also the Covid chaos year so :shrug: Do you expect to need that money or any you going to keep it invested? If the latter, buy index funds.

But yeah do not leave it in your HYSA 0.8% is rubbish.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

nm posted:

If you can do this, definitely agreed. Assuming you always need a car payment is awful.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

If you can do this, definitely agreed. Assuming you always need a car payment is awful.

Okay smart guy, how else am I going to buy more cars than I can afford?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

KillHour posted:

Okay smart guy, how else am I going to buy more cars than I can afford?

I think the traditional way is to buy a fast motorcycle you shouldn't be buying, crash it, then use the settlement money to buy a fast car like a Lamborghini.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

I think the traditional way is to buy a fast motorcycle you shouldn't be buying, crash it, then use the settlement money to buy a fast car like a Lamborghini.

poo poo, why didn't I think of that

https://www.ducati.com/us/en/bikes/monster/monster-1200

Lambo money, here I come.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

KillHour posted:

poo poo, why didn't I think of that

https://www.ducati.com/us/en/bikes/monster/monster-1200

Lambo money, here I come.

I want to ride a Ducati Monster so much. And motorcycles are so cheap, and take up so little space.

Then I read the stats on motorcycles again. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Out of everything Ducati has to offer, you think the Monster is fast?