Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I gotta run goddamn windows for school. I need it for MS Project. I haven't had windows installed on my mac for years and I'm wondering what's the best solution in this day and age? I will probably make a boot camp partition (maybe I'll put some games on it too) but I'd like run it in the background of OSX. What's the best current software?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Haggins posted:

I gotta run goddamn windows for school. I need it for MS Project. I haven't had windows installed on my mac for years and I'm wondering what's the best solution in this day and age? I will probably make a boot camp partition (maybe I'll put some games on it too) but I'd like run it in the background of OSX. What's the best current software?

If you want to be cheap about it, VirtualBox isn't the most user-friendly of software, but it's free, and it'll run Windows and Project just fine.

Otherwise Parallels Desktop and VMWare Fusion are locked in a permanent battle over features and performance. I personally prefer Fusion (and definitely prefer VMWare as a company over Parallels as a company), but they're very similar in features, performance, and price. You could basically buy whichever one's currently on sale and not really go wrong.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

And that's one big justification for paying for more storage, VM images eat up space like you wouldn't believe. Even 'dynamic' ones.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

There's been a noticeable improvement in one particular area since I upgraded from Mavericks to El Capitan (skipped 10.10). Wifi connections on my 2013 rMBP would sometimes take a while when I moved the laptop to a new location or rebooted it and I'd sometimes have to turn the wifi off and back on again to discover the desired router.

It's always been virtually instantaneous since upgrading and I don't recall never being connected when I have the computer in a area near a known router. Anyone else see notice an improvement since 10.9 in this department?

I'm obviously not complaining, mind you, but it seems weird since I've never come across any information that would lead me to believe there'd be any improvements there.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Wifi was drat near unusable on Yosemite on my rMB from day one, limited only to my home network. At work it was fine, and other devices were fine on my home wifi, but I'd have to turn wifi off and on again literally every 5 minutes or DNS lookups would all timeout. This all went away with beta 1 of El Cap and I haven't looked back. Time and time again with the point releases of Yosemite they claimed to improve wifi reliability, but nothing fixed it properly until El Cap.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

The other thing I've noticed about El Capitan is that my RAM usage is rock steady, especially if all I'm doing is surfing and don't use anything other than Safari. Running Chrome makes RAM usage jump into the loving exosphere.

If anyone's still pining for Menumeters, somebody from Japan modded it to work with El Capitan. He evens explains what he did. Only issue is that you can't command-drag the menus to place them where you want anymore.

You can get it from here...

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Oct 17, 2015

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

Haggins posted:

Both Parallels Desktop and VMWare Fusion offer near-native performance, if you want to try to run games under virtualization. Of course, that poo poo's gonna be terribly slow if it isn't accelerated under the VM, such as Windows 8+ stuff running under DirectDraw on a Retina display.

If OpenGL matters to you at all, that's pretty much directing you to VMWare, since that's the only thing right now that supports OpenGL 3.3. The others are still only supporting 2.1.

And then, none of them support Direct3D 11, so if you need that, it's down to Boot Camp.

And if you should happen to go with Boot Camp, you'll need to turn off SIP to use either VMWare or Parallels' Boot Camp VM features. Parallels will actually tell you this, VMWare will just pop up a mysterious error the moment you try to boot the machine, and claims a workaround is in the works for a future release.

E: Unrelated issue I've been having since upgrading to ElCap, since running the last few 10.11.1 developer betas. The installer progress window will flash briefly on my iMac's own screen, then will remain on my secondary monitor for the rest of the update, until the reboot. Then after the reboot, it will again flash on the internal display, then appear on the external monitor again until the login window finally appears on the iMac itself. Weird.

kode54 fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Oct 17, 2015

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Molten Llama posted:

I personally prefer Fusion (and definitely prefer VMWare as a company over Parallels as a company)

Can you elaborate on this?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Is anyone noticing slower Safari performance under 10.11? I get a lot more beachballs when switching tabs. It's not earth shattering, but it is noticeable.

This is on a 2011 Mac Mini with 8gb of ram. I don't do much except VPN and use web sites on it so I haven't noticed any other slowdowns. I was under the impression 10.11 was good for older Macs.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Krispy Kareem posted:

Is anyone noticing slower Safari performance under 10.11? I get a lot more beachballs when switching tabs. It's not earth shattering, but it is noticeable.

This is on a 2011 Mac Mini with 8gb of ram. I don't do much except VPN and use web sites on it so I haven't noticed any other slowdowns. I was under the impression 10.11 was good for older Macs.

Safari 9.0 seems fine to me on a 2015 rMBP. It may use a little more RAM on average than before, but 8GB should be plenty (I've got the same.) Do you have any outdated extensions perhaps? Cleared cache?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
What's the best adblocker for OSX Safari 9 these days? ublock seems to be failing to do anything on some pages lately, and there's no ublock origin for safari (yet?)

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I'd say the jury's out right now. Safari 9 has the content blocker API that iOS 9's Safari got, which some ad blockers have showed up supporting. I haven't seen a recent comparison or roundup though. The uBlock/Purify guy is supposedly working on a version of Purify for OS X, so I guess we'll see what happens there.

For now uBlock still seems okay to me but I've got my eye on what's coming out.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
Ghostery seems to work great. I have no idea if it uses the content blocking stuff though.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I'm using uBlock as well and it's been totally fine so far. I'm actually really impressed with Safari 9, I was a hardcore Chrome user for ages and Safari always seemed to lack some features that I needed and tended to beachball like a motherfucker, but after giving Safari a proper go after ElCap came out, I'm not looking back at all. This thing is still crazy quick and stable and isn't anywhere near hedonistic with RAM as Chrome was and is. Really only missing SALR but that's a small price to pay because right now my 8 year-old MBP feels like new while browsing.

E: Also I'm guessing Safari uses html5 differently than Chrome does because on Chrome Youtube videos used to make my fan go absolutely nuts an kick up temps like nothing else but with Safari it's dead quiet and cool. Even HD videos don't seem to phase it.

Stare-Out fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Oct 17, 2015

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

fleshweasel posted:

Can you elaborate on this?

IDK about Llama, but I got a bit turned off by Parallels-the-company when they set up and SEO'd a fake website where all the articles ended up subtly or not-so-subtly suggesting that you should buy Parallels instead of VMWare. It mimiced the design and layout of VMWare's official site. It's long gone now so I can't point you to it any more, but it was pretty slimy.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Stare-Out posted:

E: Also I'm guessing Safari uses html5 differently than Chrome does because on Chrome Youtube videos used to make my fan go absolutely nuts an kick up temps like nothing else but with Safari it's dead quiet and cool. Even HD videos don't seem to phase it.

Google isn't done trying to push WebM, so when you use Chrome with Youtube you get the joy of using video codecs where the decode is 100% software rather than hardware accelerated.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

BobHoward posted:

Google isn't done trying to push WebM, so when you use Chrome with Youtube you get the joy of using video codecs where the decode is 100% software rather than hardware accelerated.
I figured it might be something of that sort, yeah. Seems kind of a pointless way to go about it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Chrome on OS X got to such a bad point a few years ago that if I tried to run it with Pro Tools at the same time it totally crashed my MBP. That's when I changed to Safari and never looked back.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

BobHoward posted:

IDK about Llama, but I got a bit turned off by Parallels-the-company when they set up and SEO'd a fake website where all the articles ended up subtly or not-so-subtly suggesting that you should buy Parallels instead of VMWare. It mimiced the design and layout of VMWare's official site. It's long gone now so I can't point you to it any more, but it was pretty slimy.

IIRC that was around the time of either 5 or 6. That's about when I quit using them as well.

Another nice thing about VM Ware Fusion: I got work to pony up for the Professional version, so I can make some VMs for testing and service development and deploy them to our lab ESXi server.

ultrabay2000
Jan 1, 2010

Does anyone know approximately how long it takes to enable / encrypt the full disk encryption on an existing unencrypted hard-drive? I have a fairly recent MacBook - mid-2014. I ask because I heard someone say it took multiple days once?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

ultrabay2000 posted:

Does anyone know approximately how long it takes to enable / encrypt the full disk encryption on an existing unencrypted hard-drive? I have a fairly recent MacBook - mid-2014. I ask because I heard someone say it took multiple days once?

I believe my MBA did it in a few hours but this was half a year ago so I can't honestly remember that clearly.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

ultrabay2000 posted:

Depends on drive size, but most likely a half-day to a day. I'm fairly certain you can still use the drive while it's encrypting if that's your concern.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ultrabay2000 posted:

I really depends on how much data you have and if its SSD/HDD, internal or USB3, etc... I have around 200GB on mine (500GB SSD) and I just re-encrypted (you have to decrypt FileVault volumes to upgrade). It took about 3 hours. I wasn't paying super close attention, since you can keep on trucking while FileVault is doing its thing. A near empty drive will take almost no time at all. When I got my Samsung T1 (500GB) set up (uninstalled their kernel extension and reformatted using Disk Utility) File Vault was almost instant since it was empty.

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

BobHoward posted:

My hate comes from this: For months before Yosemite came out, Parallels Desktop 8 was throwing up warnings that it wouldn't work with Yosemite, I wouldn't be able to launch my Windows VMs, and I needed to upgrade to 10. I upgraded to Yosemite, and guess what? Everything worked just fine. It's one thing to drop support for older versions. It's a completely different and more evil thing to lie and say it won't work to get people to upgrade. VMware does the same version support crap, but at least they don't lie. I switched to Boot Camp for Windows and Virualbox for everything else.

lua
Jun 16, 2013
Does anyone remember the name of that app that would constantly play an inaudible sound to stop headphones/speakers switching off?

Pole of Mars
Aug 19, 2008

A wop bop a loo bop a lop bam boom
I forgot to sign out of iMessage on my 2012 Macbook air before wiping the drive and resintalling OSX in order to sell it. I did deauthorize my iTunes but I read that I should maybe also do that.

Is it really going to be a problem?

V V : awesome thanks!

Pole of Mars fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Oct 19, 2015

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Pole of Mars posted:

I forgot to sign out of iMessage on my 2012 Macbook air before wiping the drive and resintalling OSX in order to sell it. I did deauthorize my iTunes but I read that I should maybe also do that.

Is it really going to be a problem?

If you wiped the device, then no problem. Wiping the drive means that all iCloud/iMessage sessions are gone, so the person you sold it to won't be able to sign into your iMessage at all.

Also iMessage activations are unlimited unlike iTunes so you won't hit a limit with your next device.

JacksAngryBiome
Oct 23, 2014
Is it possible to use a external USB 3 disk as a boot camp install location? I have an old ssd and a USB caddy kicking around doing nothing at the moment.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

JacksAngryBiome posted:

Is it possible to use a external USB 3 disk as a boot camp install location? I have an old ssd and a USB caddy kicking around doing nothing at the moment.

I don't think the windows installer will like it. The disk might be fast enough, but you may need to use something like rEFIt/rEFInd (whatever its called these days) to boot it, and you would have to find a way to get the install on there (cloning, vmware, attaching it internally somewhere first)

I use my SSD for storing all my steam and origin games and it allowed me to make my bootcamp partition much smaller. Doesn't require any work arounds, and if your enclosure supports UASP its plenty fast.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

JHVH-1 posted:

I don't think the windows installer will like it. The disk might be fast enough, but you may need to use something like rEFIt/rEFInd (whatever its called these days) to boot it, and you would have to find a way to get the install on there (cloning, vmware, attaching it internally somewhere first)

I use my SSD for storing all my steam and origin games and it allowed me to make my bootcamp partition much smaller. Doesn't require any work arounds, and if your enclosure supports UASP its plenty fast.

I'm not sure about Bootcamp. Works like a champ with VMs.

I'm gonna second the UASP. You'll probably hate life if the enclosure doesn't support it.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I think I tried to install Bootcamp on the 2nd hard drive in my MacBook and was denied. It had to be on the same drive as your OS X install.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Krispy Kareem posted:

I think I tried to install Bootcamp on the 2nd hard drive in my MacBook and was denied. It had to be on the same drive as your OS X install.

There are cloning tools though so you can make the partition, clone it to the new hard drive, and then wipe the original.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

computer parts posted:

There are cloning tools though so you can make the partition, clone it to the new hard drive, and then wipe the original.

Yeah, I think WinClone is the goto for that.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I still connect my MacBook to the TV via HDMI because I'm a peon/my housemate's TV doesn't like my external HD. Since I updated to El Capitan there has been a border around the image on the TV - not huge, but more than noticeable - and the Underscan option has disappeared from the Display preferences. Anyone else had this issue?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

10.11.1 is out.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

1Password notified of an update and then I updated it and then it told me it was not compatible with this OS. Oh well. I assume that'll fix up quick.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

I can't handle all these emoji.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Does that mean that Apple got so sick of people complaining about Office 2016 and Microsoft not doing much about it that they fixed whatever was broken in the program at an OS level? That's hilarious.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
I just watched a film on Netflix & Firefox. My battery was 80%+ and it plummeted with my fan going rather noisy. I'm on a 2013 rMBP and when I loaded activity monitor it said that the energy was north of 300. Is that normal? It seems insanely high and like my battery wouldn't last a whole movie. I barely use Netflix so I'd never noticed it before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Firefox is poo poo. Use Safari, which allows higher bitrates on Netflix and is the most battery friendly browser