Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sunning posted:

A lot of people think Braska's calm lasted ten years but it would contradict a lot of things and create a very rushed timeline. For example, Chappu's death, Lulu's pilgrimage with Ginnem, Lulu/Wakka's pilgrimage with Zeke, and Yuna's speech about the calm being worth it. You also have the issue of unsent Auron using Sin to enter dream Zanarkand ten years ago in order to raise Tidus.

They mention that while Sin reforms almost instantly it takes time for it to regain its full power. So a "Calm" is basically however long until Sin is spotted again but its not necessarily at that point its full apocalyptic civilization destroying space whale self. I don't think its particularly unreasonable to say that while the Calm proper lasts 6 months to 1 year that the period where the majority of the Spira need not fear Sin is longer than that.

Also; FFX is really nice at using parallel structure between Yuna and Tidus and their respective pilgrimages which make up the two acts of the game.

Edit: Also Seymour's plan for Yuna is extra hilarious because he himself is a summoner and already possess the Final Aeon.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Mar 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
I'm pretty sure Ultimania nails down that at six months, Braska's Calm was the longest ever. For a tropical paradise, Spira kind of sucks. :(

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
I guess that makes sense. I figured it couldn't have been any more than half a year, or less, because if it was less then there would be an endless train of summoners pilgrimaging around Spira.

You know, it's odd, but all this FFX HD talk is making me want to play FF X-2. I think it's because the worldbuilding is so fantastic in X-2 that I ultimately like it a bit more. Everyone lived in this gloom, death-centered world in X that was uber religious and far-right and then suddenly, they let down their collective hair and become focused almost completely on having fun. You have the nun who is now a broadcast personality, the summoner who becomes a travel agent, the holy site turning into a tourist attraction and the sudden global past-time of treasure hunting. It's chaotic and awesome.

I don't know whether that says more about me as a person or FFX.

Captain Mog fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Mar 26, 2014

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012

precision posted:

The Sphere treasures are to get Yuna's last summon, and apparently the only one you want to be sure not to miss is the Macalania one, since you'd have to fight Dark Shiva to get it. You have to fight Dark Valefore if you go back to Besaid, but he's apparently a pushover (relatively speaking).

The relative pushover is worth noting: Dark Valefor is going to be very difficult to beat if you don't at least do some grinding to get higher agility/accuracy before you can even get a turn before valefor murders you/hit him at all. The easiest way to kill him at low stats is... using Anima unfortunately.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Captain Mog posted:

I guess that makes sense. I figured it couldn't have been any more than half a year, or less, because if it was less then there would be an endless train of summoners pilgrimaging around Spira.

You know, it's odd, but all this FFX HD talk is making me want to play FF X-2. I think it's because the worldbuilding is so fantastic in X-2 that I ultimately like it a bit more. Everyone lived in this gloom, death-centered world in X that was uber religious and far-right and then suddenly, they let down their collective hair and become focused almost completely on having fun. You have the nun who is now a broadcast personality, the summoner who becomes a travel agent, the holy site turning into a tourist attraction and the sudden global past-time of treasure hunting. It's chaotic and awesome.

X-2 is one of the most optimistic games by saying at core most people just want to be free and have fun.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
I hate myself today. I:

1) Got a 0:0.0 time in the chocobo race

2) Collected 1 of every monster between Besaid and Mt. Gagazet

3) Did both Butterfly games

4) Did the Cactuar mini-game and got all the named spheres

5) Got both Yojimbo and Anima

I have so far only dodged up to 98 Lightning bolts and am right now working through blitzball to get all the stuff from that.

:shepicide:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I don't remember ever really paying attention to Stats my first time through the game, and just now (at the desert) looked at everyone's:

Is Lulu supposed to have insanely high stats? Her Evade and Magic Defense are triple what anyone else's are. :stare:

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

mateo360 posted:

2) Collected 1 of every monster between Besaid and Mt. Gagazet

What, not 10?

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012
Yuna and Lulu both get a lot of evasion and magic defense on their portion of the sphere grid. Its easy to notice at the beginning of the game when they're the only ones who ever evade attacks.

fronz posted:

What, not 10?

Capturing (or attempting to capture) 10 tonberries is what eventually ended my attempt to beat Nemesis. Hours between seeing a tonberry was just too much for me.

Systematic System fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Mar 26, 2014

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Captain Mog posted:

X-2 was our first real FF sequel and that helps I think. X is one of the few FF worlds where you want to see how everything will change after the ending because the two biggest constants for a thousand years (Yevon and Sin) are now gone. Seeing how Spira adapted is truly fascinating to me.

It's one reason I like New Yevon and the Youth League. It's completely believable groups like this would pop up. New Yevon is conservative, representing a group that is older and can't so easily change. It must be hard to be a 50-year-old devout Catholic and then the Pope dies and your faith disbands. On the flipside, the Youth League possess that natural desire for change that comes with being young. Only their zeal is in much more abundance than their competence and they want "change for the sake of change" mostly.

And of course the civil war between the two was also inevitable.

Then there was the whole subplot with Trema. Apparently he's the one who started the Calm Lands Monster Arena. I like getting to the bottom of the Via Infinito just to conclude his little story.

Yuna: Although I've wished to be stronger and I've wanted to change... I realize that losing my past would mean losing myself.
Trema: Hahaha... Tell me, High Summoner Yuna, where is the loss in that?

If you think about it, Trema probably could have kicked Sin's rear end.

Barudak posted:

Edit: Also Seymour's plan for Yuna is extra hilarious because he himself is a summoner and already possess the Final Aeon.

Well if he used his Final Aeon on Sin, then it would be the aeon that became Sin and he would just die. His plan for Yuna is to be her aeon.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Mar 26, 2014

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
I think my favourite mundane detail about FFX-2's plot is that if you pay attention in a random scene in X, you can see it being reasonably well foreshadowed.

No, really. When you're on the Shoopuf in X, and you see that sunken city the conversation diverges into talking about Vegnagun. It's never mentioned by name, but you can tell its what they mean.

Col. Roy Campbell
Dec 19, 2008

NikkolasKing posted:

Then there was the whole subplot with Trema. Apparently he's the one who started the Calm Lands Monster Arena. I like getting to the bottom of the Via Infinito just to conclude his little story.

I could have sworn Trema was the founder of New Yevon before he went a little bit insane and ventured down, down into the depths of Bevelle.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Dragonatrix posted:

I think my favourite mundane detail about FFX-2's plot is that if you pay attention in a random scene in X, you can see it being reasonably well foreshadowed.

No, really. When you're on the Shoopuf in X, and you see that sunken city the conversation diverges into talking about Vegnagun. It's never mentioned by name, but you can tell its what they mean.
They didn't originally intend to make a sequel, so I imagine it's less foreshadowing and more a thing that the developers went back, saw, and based the plot X-2 around. Which is still cool.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Captain Mog posted:

How long does a Calm last? This is something that's always bugged me and now that I'm playing through FFXHD, it's bothering me again. Given the story context clues, I'm assuming anywhere between a month to a year, if that.

The details of the calms have always bugged me. I don't think a lot of thought went into the details.

So Sin has been rampaging around for 1000 years. During that whole time only 4 or 5 calms have been achieved, and each of those calms only lasted a couple months or a few years max. How is anyone still alive on this planet? It's doom whale rampage 99% of the time.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Also the first Calm was only like... four hundred years ago, so what the hell were people doing until then?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Calaveron posted:

Ok so I started playing FFX HD and I made sure to get the Besaid Destruction Sphere's treasure. That's the thing I need to do if I want to get the postgame super dick bosses, right? Is there a list of things that are missable and that I should keep an eye on? I know that you need to find this thing after fighting some boss called Yunalesca to get Tidus's best weapon and that is missable, but are there more things?

You need to get EVERY destruction sphere to get the best summons. It's just that Besaid and Macalania become "walled off" after a point, where you can't go back unless you beat a very very tough optional boss.

An even harder optional boss is in Yunalesca's room yeah. There's a chest hidden in the back after you beat her that has part of Tidus' ultimate weapon.

The problem is that the easiest way to beat those optional bosses is with the best summons, so if you haven't gotten them already you have to do a lot of stuff to get around it.

Don't feel bad if it's too late, because you can get through if you exploit Yojimbo, the optional money summon. He has a hidden affection system depending on how much money you give him. You can grind him up to the point where he'll do his instant kill move a decent portion of the time - it works on the optional bosses, although it's random whether he does it or not.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

I think for the first few centuries (EDIT: Endgame spoilers)Yu Yevon actually had some level of control over Sin and he was just chilling out in the ocean making sure people didn't find Dream Zanarkand. After a while, he kinda lost it and started beating up Kilika for poops and giggles.

TARDISman fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Mar 26, 2014

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

TARDISman posted:

I think for the first few centuries (Spoilering because whatever, could be a thing people don't know)Yu Yevon actually had some level of control over Sin and he was just chilling out in the ocean making sure people didn't find Dream Zanarkand. After a while, he kinda lost it and started beating up Kilika for poops and giggles.

To clarify for people just going through the game now: these are spoilers about stuff you find out near the end of the game

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Col. Roy Campbell posted:

I could have sworn Trema was the founder of New Yevon before he went a little bit insane and ventured down, down into the depths of Bevelle.

He was the founder of New Yevon as Maechen tells you. But the cutscene with him has him saying:
"To guide the youth charged with Spira's future, I provided them with a training academy. But then came the Calm..."

There's nothing else in FFX that could be called a "training academy" and I see no point for the line other than to suggest he was behind the Monster Arena.

So yeah, the Arena and stuff be before he created New Yevon. We don't know if he was dead before he went into the Via Infinito or if he died down there.

TARDISman posted:

I think for the first few centuries (Spoilering because whatever, could be a thing people don't know)Yu Yevon actually had some level of control over Sin and he was just chilling out in the ocean making sure people didn't find Dream Zanarkand. After a while, he kinda lost it and started beating up Kilika for poops and giggles.

It should also be noted that the Sin in the game is different because it's Jecht. He's having Sin do things for his own personal reasons. It's one reason why I can buy nobody tried to oppose Sin with anything besides the Final Aeon. Jecht-Sin took it easy on the party and that never would have happened with any previous Sin. The Final Aeon really was the only method to defeat it until Tidus came along.

Well Vegnagun maybe could have beaten it but who knows.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

NikkolasKing posted:

He was the founder of New Yevon as Maechen tells you. But the cutscene with him has him saying:
"To guide the youth charged with Spira's future, I provided them with a training academy. But then came the Calm..."

There's nothing else in FFX that could be called a "training academy" and I see no point for the line other than to suggest he was behind the Monster Arena.

you are reaching so hard here dude

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

NikkolasKing posted:

Or maybe it was part of that huge gently caress off city that we literally see 2 buildings of in both games!

You know, Bevelle? Where he's at? Where he seems to be from?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Well I didn't come up with the idea on my own. I knew I read it somewhere and bam, here ya go.
http://www.ign.com/faqs/2006/final-fantasy-x-2-ultimania-faq-702971

"*Trema closes down the training facility on the Calm Lands."

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Mar 26, 2014

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

NikkolasKing posted:

It should also be noted that the Sin in the game is different because it's Jecht. He's having Sin do things for his own personal reasons. It's one reason why I can buy nobody tried to oppose Sin with anything besides the Final Aeon. Jecht-Sin took it easy on the party and that never would have happened with any previous Sin. The Final Aeon really was the only method to defeat it until Tidus came along.

Well Vegnagun maybe could have beaten it but who knows.

I thought it's not entirely that clear?

Like, there's no reason for Jecht to go gently caress up small towns and kill innocent people, he clearly doesn't have full control over Sin. I think he even says this at one point.

Also I really want to see what Tidus would look like as a final summon

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Well yeah, Jecht can't control Sin 24/7. But remember that the Hymn "calmed" Sin at the end, and Sin kinda just shows up to look at you once you beat Yunalesca, not even making any attempt to hurt anyone. Plus the whole being able to "Talk" and weaken Braska's Final Aeon in the boss fight. So while he isn't completely in control, he maintains enough control that he doesn't just squish the heroes. Notice the conspicuous lack of his giant gently caress-off energy barrier that he used in Operation Mi'ihen during the final fights with the heroes and the airship.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I thought it's not entirely that clear?

Like, there's no reason for Jecht to go gently caress up small towns and kill innocent people, he clearly doesn't have full control over Sin. I think he even says this at one point.

He would be a giant Blitzball.

Rahzmataz
Apr 29, 2013
So many black bars, this thread is starting to look like an official government document :cheeky:

So i'm going for my first ever Platinum trophy with FFX, and i've made a bit of a mistake. I didn't realise there was a trophy for listening to all of Maechen's ramblings, and i've missed a couple. Am I going to have to start over to get them all, or is backtracking a possibility? I'm at Macalania Temple, just after the fight with that rear end in a top hat Seymour.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

He'd totally become Leviathan. Tidus is closely tied to water. You'll notice there's no water elemental summon in FFX.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Dr Pepper posted:

He'd totally become Leviathan. Tidus is closely tied to water. You'll notice there's no water elemental summon in FFX.

Someone did something like that a while back, while loving up the anatomy slightly.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Ah that sorta makes sense for the Final Summon, never thought of it.

Seejay posted:

So i'm going for my first ever Platinum trophy with FFX, and i've made a bit of a mistake. I didn't realise there was a trophy for listening to all of Maechen's ramblings, and i've missed a couple. Am I going to have to start over to get them all, or is backtracking a possibility? I'm at Macalania Temple, just after the fight with that rear end in a top hat Seymour.

Before you decide you're actually gonna go for that Platinum, look up the rest of them. Some of them are ridiculous but don't show it. For example:

Beat Nemesis

Alright, sounds simple enough. You just beat a guy. But to fight Nemesis in the first place you have to capture 10 of every single monster in every single zone. Some of the monsters are pretty elusive and on their own could take hours to capture 10 of. And that's for 1 monster. In 1 zone.

There are also trophies for traversing the entire sphere grid with every single character, After you fill up every blank space. I did it once with 3 characters and I still missed some of the smaller nodes here and there. I can't imagine taking the time to fill out the entire grid and cover it with 7 characters.

Then on top of that to do stuff like fight Penance you need most stats at 255 anyway.

I mean I like FFX but I am never getting that Platinum

Edit: To actually answer your question, the only 100% missable trophy is to get every Al Bhed primer. Everything else can always be redone but it might be a hassle.

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Mar 26, 2014

Andrealinia
May 30, 2013

Seejay posted:

I think that trophy might be a X-2 trophy. I've not seen that one mentioned for FFX, but seen it in the X-2 trophy list.

Rahzmataz
Apr 29, 2013

Andrealinia posted:

I think that trophy might be a X-2 trophy. I've not seen that one mentioned for FFX, but seen it in the X-2 trophy list.

I have no idea how I managed to miss that. Thankyou for saving me hours of trekking back through the game!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
So if I stuffed up and missed the destruction stuff in the very first two temples, can I go straight back? I'm still at Kilika.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

You need to get EVERY destruction sphere to get the best summons. It's just that Besaid and Macalania become "walled off" after a point, where you can't go back unless you beat a very very tough optional boss.

An even harder optional boss is in Yunalesca's room yeah. There's a chest hidden in the back after you beat her that has part of Tidus' ultimate weapon.

The problem is that the easiest way to beat those optional bosses is with the best summons, so if you haven't gotten them already you have to do a lot of stuff to get around it.

Don't feel bad if it's too late, because you can get through if you exploit Yojimbo, the optional money summon. He has a hidden affection system depending on how much money you give him. You can grind him up to the point where he'll do his instant kill move a decent portion of the time - it works on the optional bosses, although it's random whether he does it or not.

You don't need the destruction spheres to get the Magus Sisters; just capture fiends on Gagazet and beat Belgeimine's Bahamut.

mcswizzle
Jul 26, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

So if I stuffed up and missed the destruction stuff in the very first two temples, can I go straight back? I'm still at Kilika.

Yeah I'm approaching Operation Mi'ihen and I'm going to have to go back to Besaid for the destruction sphere as well. Is now a good time, or should I wait a little longer?

jtm33
Mar 23, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

I think you can return after Djose? Best not to put it off any later though, because while it doesn't get completely blocked off it becomes extremely hard to return later in the game.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
You can return up to Macalania woods, right after Sphereimorph but before the next boss battle, if I remmeber correctly.

jtm33
Mar 23, 2010

Levantine posted:

You can return up to Macalania woods, right after Sphereimorph but before the next boss battle, if I remmeber correctly.

Ahh, is it after Spherimorph that you can pick up the J Spheres as well? That would make it a good time to return to Besaid.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

jtm33 posted:

Ahh, is it after Spherimorph that you can pick up the J Spheres as well? That would make it a good time to return to Besaid.

Yes, that's right. That's when I make my journey so I only have to do it once.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I'm gonna do that too but I looked it up and that's way further than I thought. I don't think there's a way to get no-encounter stuff by then either

How does FFX do experience anyway? Will you still get sphere levels if you fight beginning enemies or does the game "remember" what your total S Lvl is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

I'm gonna do that too but I looked it up and that's way further than I thought. I don't think there's a way to get no-encounter stuff by then either

How does FFX do experience anyway? Will you still get sphere levels if you fight beginning enemies or does the game "remember" what your total S Lvl is?

No, you get something like 12 AP from each fight and by that point in the game you're needing something like 2000 AP per sphere level. The only real comfort is that your characters are probably strong enough that you can ignore most of the party damage rules like magic for the Flans.