Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

DrSunshine posted:

This is unnecessary, really, since Canadians already are Americans in all but name. :can:

Technically everyone who lives in the new world is american.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Peanut President posted:

Like Australians

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Peanut President posted:

And everyone in the US are Columbians.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

HookShot posted:

Greater Scandinavia wins for having parts on North America as well as Europe.

I love this map because you can see the Varangian Guard retirement homes in northern Thrace.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

I present, the Motherfucker Belt:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Trabisnikof posted:

I present, the Motherfucker Belt:

Many other maps in the series: http://gawker.com/do-you-live-in-a-bitch-or-a-gently caress-state-american-cu-1718259899

Find your favorite swear. I'm particularly struck by the Gosh Belt:

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

QuoProQuid posted:

Not enough.

Make America stretch from pole to shining pole.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
New England succeeded?

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Powered Descent posted:

Many other maps in the series: http://gawker.com/do-you-live-in-a-bitch-or-a-gently caress-state-american-cu-1718259899

human being is wayyyy more concentrated in the SW and Pacific coast than I would have thought

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Man the centre of the US really doesn't like to swear. "gently caress" is like this perfect ring around the coasts. Also bitch is really a south-west thing, crazy.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

sparatuvs posted:

New England succeeded?

It's from this alternate history tome. Basically New England seceded in the early 19th century and then the rest of the US turned into a horrible slaveholding dystopia.

It's been a decade or so since I followed stuff like this but it was one of the more well regarded timelines if I remember correctly.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

LGD posted:

human being is wayyyy more concentrated in the SW and Pacific coast than I would have thought

I'm surprised the central valley isn't as bad as the further fringes of the state and inhospitable hellhole LA.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

Powered Descent posted:

Utah is blue for essentially everything excep gosh and human being. :allears:

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Kainser posted:

It's from this alternate history tome. Basically New England seceded in the early 19th century and then the rest of the US turned into a horrible slaveholding dystopia.

It's been a decade or so since I followed stuff like this but it was one of the more well regarded timelines if I remember correctly.

I feel like alternative history people are really big fans of horrible slaveholding dystopias for some reason

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

icantfindaname posted:

I feel like alternative history people are really big fans of horrible slaveholding dystopias for some reason

It's the only major event that doesn't involve WW2 or nuclear war.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I mean I guess. I can think of lots of pivotal historical and political moments to work with, maybe not quite as dramatic as the Civil War but still. The overweening focus on What If The South Won The Civil War doesn't really help my image of them as a bunch of autistic fascist nerdlords

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jul 17, 2015

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Unless you think there's a lot of Nazi sympathizers out there, I don't see how making an alternate history means you support what takes place in it.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Lord Hydronium posted:

Unless you think there's a lot of Nazi sympathizers out there

Oh you sweet, sweet child.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Oh you sweet, sweet child.
You know what I mean. The most clichéd alternate history scenario by far is "Nazis win WWII". Most of these are not being written because everyone loves Nazis.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
One of :siren: Slavoj Žižek's :siren: favorite canned topics is on the inherent conservatism of alt history.

He goes into it in more long form elsewhere but here it is somewhat concisely: http://www.lrb.co.uk/v27/n16/slavoj-zizek/lenin-shot-at-finland-station

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Raccoon city?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Lord Hydronium posted:

You know what I mean. The most clichéd alternate history scenario by far is "Nazis win WWII". Most of these are not being written because everyone loves Nazis.

But they actually are, at least on some level and to some degree. Lots of this sort of stuff does in fact have underlying themes of "black chattel slaves didn't necessarily have it so bad did they?" or whatever

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Powered Descent posted:

Man does that negative correlation for Gosh in the southeast follow the old slave plantations or what

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Uncle Jam posted:

Man does that negative correlation for Gosh in the southeast follow the old slave plantations or what

Even clearer:

Something something ancient shoreline...

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Tree Goat posted:

One of :siren: Slavoj Žižek's :siren: favorite canned topics is on the inherent conservatism of alt history.

He goes into it in more long form elsewhere but here it is somewhat concisely: http://www.lrb.co.uk/v27/n16/slavoj-zizek/lenin-shot-at-finland-station

quote:

Since the non-occurrence of the October Revolution is a favourite topic of ‘what if?’ historians...
What? There's an uncomfortable amount of stuff out there about Nazis and Confederates, but I'm not aware of much alt history stuff that focuses on having no Russian Revolution.

The basic thing is that easy what-ifs to think up are ones where a loser becomes a winner (or vice versa), and a lot of history's losers are bad dudes. Some of the uncomfortable works come out of someone doing what one those simple-what ifs and not realizing or not caring about what an awful little mirror universe they've created.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
poo poo, bitch and drat have a heavy correlation.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Powered Descent posted:

Even clearer:

Something something ancient shoreline...

The black belt is a lot farther south than where your supposed correlation is.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

icantfindaname posted:

But they actually are, at least on some level and to some degree. Lots of this sort of stuff does in fact have underlying themes of "black chattel slaves didn't necessarily have it so bad did they?" or whatever
Can you give examples that do this? I'm certainly not going to argue there aren't, because of course as with any genre there's all sorts of hosed up political views on display. But the biggest (published) example of this particular scenario I can think of is Harry Turtledove's Timeline-191 series, which has the CSA literally become Nazi Germany. Guns of the South, also Turtledove and probably the other most popular book with that concept, also has all sorts of material on how terrible the lives of slaves were and how casual and integrated into Confederate culture racism was.

AH.com, where the particular timeline mentioned above originated, also tends to be pretty left wing, and have kicked out authors (SM Sterling in particular) for being racist shits.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Lord Hydronium posted:

AH.com, where the particular timeline mentioned above originated, also tends to be pretty left wing, and have kicked out authors (SM Sterling in particular) for being racist shits.

I ran like the dickens away from that site some years ago now, but iirc Sterling only got banned when he out and out advocated the death of all Muslims. Prior to that, everything was hunky-dory.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
SM Sterling is guy behind The Draka, a totally-not-racist author fantasy alt history story about an apartheid colony in South Africa that inexplicably becomes an evil world-spanning sci-fi empire :rolleyes:

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001
Do you guys mean SM Stirling, the guy who wrote the Dies The Fire books?

I hate those books so much. He takes an interesting premise and absolutely ruins it with his tedious SCA/Wicca wank and terrible ripoffs from more talented artists. In the second or third book, he actually steals a scene from Oliver Stone's Alexander line for line.

As an Oregon native, he also has little or no understanding of the region or the people living in it. Almost nothing he describes bears any resemblance to reality, except in the most cursory fashion.

Edit: Also, here's the page where he got banned, for those curious.

http://www.alternatehistory.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=63477&highlight=Filling+Stirling%27s+Pockets&page=6

TheBalor fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jul 17, 2015

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Ofaloaf posted:

What? There's an uncomfortable amount of stuff out there about Nazis and Confederates, but I'm not aware of much alt history stuff that focuses on having no Russian Revolution.

Maybe it's different in Eastern Europe.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

TheBalor posted:

Do you guys mean SM Stirling, the guy who wrote the Dies The Fire books?
That's the fellow, S&M himself.

He also wrote a one-off story about a British Raj that merges with Indian culture (a meteorite struck Europe in the 1870s and forced Europe's ruling classes to flee to the colonies) which is absurd enough that it's best taken as a flat-out comedy. The Russians decide that God hates them, so the Tsar embraces Satanism, and there's a South African plot to overthrow the British monarchy, since they've gotten too brown for the liking of Afrikaners.

Ofaloaf fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jul 17, 2015

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

TheBalor posted:

As an Oregon native, he also has little or no understanding of the region or the people living in it. Almost nothing he describes bears any resemblance to reality, except in the most cursory fashion.
That's why it's called alternate history, dude.

:v:

Foppery
Dec 27, 2013

I POSSESS THE POWER CHRONIC

icantfindaname posted:

I mean I guess. I can think of lots of pivotal historical and political moments to work with, maybe not quite as dramatic as the Civil War but still. The overweening focus on What If The South Won The Civil War doesn't really help my image of them as a bunch of autistic fascist nerdlords

I used to travel in these circles a little, and while you're largely correct, the author of this particular timeline was actually a rather nice, smart guy. As I recall he later wrote another (extremely well researched) timeline about an urban civilization developing in Australia due to the existence of some variation on an existing crop that allowed easy mass agriculture. I believe first contact involved an extremely deadly Australian plague making its way to Europe and killing off Cardinal Richelieu and most of the House of Hapsburg, among many others. It was a pretty good read, as I recall.

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

A Buttery Pastry posted:

That's why it's called alternate history, dude.

:v:

Ah, yes. Like Mt. Angel, the tall hill with a small group of chocolate-making monks and many fine roads up it. A few years after the apocalypse, it becomes an impenetrable mountain fortress full of warrior monks.

This is my real problem with 99% of alt-history writers: they're loving hacks. They take a neat premise and rub their bad writing all over it. The only truly good work of alt-history I've read is Years of Rice and Salt.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

All alternate history is irredeemable garbage because no one who has ever written one has progressed beyond the most superficial understanding of what history is or why history matters.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

King Hong Kong posted:

All alternate history is irredeemable garbage because no one who has ever written one has progressed beyond the most superficial understanding of what history is or why history matters.

It's absolutely this, 98% of alt-history fiction is poo poo regardless of whether or not the author has Correct Opinions.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ofaloaf posted:

I'm going out on a limb here and assume most books in the world have been written in languages you don't read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

The Man in the High Castle was pretty good.