Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I mean, if bookRand wasn't from such a prudey area of the world he'd absolutely bone down with Selene, so the tv show being overall more pro-sex makes sense he'd shack up with the hottie throwing herself at him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Pleads posted:

I mean, if bookRand wasn't from such a prudey area of the world he'd absolutely bone down with Selene, so the tv show being overall more pro-sex makes sense he'd shack up with the hottie throwing herself at him.

To be fair, Jordan's idea that this small town would have good puritan small town values and all these 18-20 year old would be virgins who are waiting until marriage had everyone who actually lived in small town going "are you SURE about that?"

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

finally watched eps 2 and 3, insane how good 3 was. love the accepted test and it’s everything I hoped it would be

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

*has sex*

Try that in a small town

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

pik_d posted:

To be fair, Jordan's idea that this small town would have good puritan small town values and all these 18-20 year old would be virgins who are waiting until marriage had everyone who actually lived in small town going "are you SURE about that?"
For sure

Data Graham posted:

*has sex*

Try that in a small town
One less set of parents to hide it from

JavaJesus
Jul 4, 2007

I just finished watching all three episodes, and I'm gonna echo the love for the added ambiguity to Liandrin's character. When she was (ep 3) sending Min off with Mat, my non book reading friends asked if she was a bad guy or just really bad at being a good guy. That said, she's absolutely still a darkfriend already. (ep 3 again) After Egwene confronted her and stormed off in the ring burning room, the look on Liandrin's face was very clearly the gears turning in her head on how she had been planning on bringing Nynaeve to the Seanchan but was in that moment switching to planning on bringing Egwene instead.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
Am I the only one who was watching Mat take out bricks in the Tar Valon wall, with a candle in it to help him see and thought of him blowing up the wall in Tear? Yeah yeah I know I am

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
What if they combine Elaida and Liandrin and Liandrin is just a terrible good guy? She was getting poo poo on most of these episodes, with being blamed for Nynaeve 's death, and her son dying. Joiya showed up for a brief scene - the bald little blue sister - so maybe we'll see Liandrin get recruited when she's at a low point?

Lan getting owned in a sword fight twice in the first three episodes made my husband ask "does he always suck this much?"

Perrin is greatly improved but still mopey. Loial throwing dudes around was great. Ingtar, Mesema l, and Uno fight scene was the best so far. RIP Uno.

Edit: I thought Elayne's uncanny knowledge of the white tower was hamfisted. She nailed the "I'm Elayne Trakand, daughter heir of Andor" line.

BigHead fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Sep 2, 2023

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Only on s2e2 but Elyas looks pretty much exactly how I pictured him.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Definitely looking up after last season, it had the unnecessary drama of the fake Nyneave death, but they at least drove a significant amount of story and character development through it.

Surprisingly enjoying the remixed Rand plotline

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Really like the gleeman’s coat in episode 3. Season 2 is a lot better than sone so far.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

I mean the ship on Liandrin kind of sailed in the first episode where she made a weapon with the power and threatened Nynaeve with it.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

BigHead posted:

What if they combine Elaida and Liandrin

I'm just done trying to predict what is being changed. Everybody freaked out and thought Aludran was gonna be a gender-bent Aludra and turns out it's Liandrin's old rear end son :psyduck:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I thought the Darkfriend Social was done very well (and less dorkily than the book tbh—there's a reason it has that goof rear end name). Putting the POV at floor level via someone's kid so we see a bunch of icons and insignia—Seanchan fingernails, someone's AS ring, Shienaran emblem—but don't get to see who they actually are, accomplishes the same thing the text does but more naturally imo. Good use of the medium in adaptation.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

In my mind the DFsocial was a blank room full of hooded figures listening to a disembodied, incorporeal head like the Wizard of Oz :laugh:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Hexel posted:

In my mind the DFsocial was a blank room full of hooded figures listening to a disembodied, incorporeal head like the Wizard of Oz :laugh:

I'll accept this as long as Gilbert Gottfried reprised the role

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

I really enjoyed the three episodes.

I did have a good laugh as to how Selene was introduced. Everyone had speculated about how would Rand meet her, how big the warning signs would be, how far they would go, etc. And then the first time we see her, she is in his bed.

As to Nynaeve's Acceptance test: They completely got me with the fake out for the third test. I thought that the test she couldn't remember would be some kind of mystery that would slowly become more clear, hinting and unraveling some major plot point - something like certain people being Darkfriends for example.

DTurtle fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Sep 2, 2023

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Have to shamefully admit they got me on the accepted test too (as to the test not actually being over when she comes out of the gate all bloody, huge benefit of all the changes is that I actually have suspense as a book reader. Like, well it’s a big change to have Nynaeve leave the tower, but I could see it work as a way of driving conflict, giving her separate things to do, etc.. Then I saw the gate and loved it.

Also, not going back to quote but lol at the person thinking it was ambiguous as to whether Selene was Lanfear. She literally tells the story about being in love a long time ago with a dude who left her and that boning Rand helps remind her of him!! Who else is it gonna be???

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Pretty sure they switched Cairhein being ruled by Laman to being ruled by one of Moiraine’s sisters instead. Way more drama that way, and it’ll make it extra clear to book-readers about who she really is. They MAY also be setting her and Siuan up to be older in the show than they are in the books? Sheriam and Liandrin certainly seem to be.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

VanillaGorilla posted:

I mean the ship on Liandrin kind of sailed in the first episode where she made a weapon with the power and threatened Nynaeve with it.

None of which violates the oaths.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

buffalo all day posted:

Also, not going back to quote but lol at the person thinking it was ambiguous as to whether Selene was Lanfear. She literally tells the story about being in love a long time ago with a dude who left her and that boning Rand helps remind her of him!! Who else is it gonna be???

right so think how funny it'd be if that's all to fake us out. is she even free yet? I think that "bloody awakening" is supposed to happen next episode, wonder when it actually happens chronologically, if it is indeed ol' Mierin

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

VanillaGorilla posted:

In book 2, the Amyrlin makes herself a blade of the One Power just like Liandrin did here. She didn’t threaten anyone with it, but mere creation does seem to be something the oaths allowed for. Or Siuan Sanche was also unbound by the time we meet her… :tinfoil:

ad090
Oct 4, 2013

claws for alarm
It could be cool to see her actually be recruited to the Black Ajah, turning her story line into a tragedy, but I don't think they're gonna fundamentally change her fate, whether she's already in, or we get shown her descent.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Grundulum posted:

In book 2, the Amyrlin makes herself a blade of the One Power just like Liandrin did here. She didn’t threaten anyone with it, but mere creation does seem to be something the oaths allowed for. Or Siuan Sanche was also unbound by the time we meet her… :tinfoil:

Yea, people think that the oaths have some kind of objective truth. When it's entirely up to what the aes sedai feels. They use the one power against novices all the time. But it's a teaching tool not a weapon!

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

The second oath is to create no weapon with which one man may kill another, making a blade out of air that presumably dissipates as soon as one stops focusing on it doesn't violate that oath in any way

in the show it's "one person" instead of being gendered which makes it a bit more cloudy but I still don't think Liandrin's display would violate the oath

CainsDescendant fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Sep 2, 2023

Health Services
Feb 27, 2009
How would they be able to teach that weave (or other battle weaves) anyway, if they couldn't make it without it being in genuine defence of their life? Clearly they can demonstrate stuff.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Brolander posted:

right so think how funny it'd be if that's all to fake us out. is she even free yet? I think that "bloody awakening" is supposed to happen next episode, wonder when it actually happens chronologically, if it is indeed ol' Mierin

if they found someone even more lanfear-ish than the lady they have playing Selene then people are going to start spontaneously combusting

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

buffalo all day posted:

if they found someone even more lanfear-ish than the lady they have playing Selene then people are going to start spontaneously degloving

Clever Moniker
Oct 29, 2007

The second oath is “no creating weapons that can kill”, which I’ve always interpreted as a specific rule for no more Power-wrought blades. Or Shocklances, if they ever figured those out. So I guess an Aes Sedai could manually construct a battering ram, but not a catapult. Could an Aes Sedai create a Taser?

The third oath is “no Power as a weapon”. Is cuffing someone on the ear with Air a weapon? Clearly not, from the books. What about slapping someone across the face with Air? I can’t remember if that ever happened.

We know that intent matters, so I feel like an Aes Sedai creating a sword out of Air, or an arrow out of Air doesn’t violate the oaths if used as a teaching tool, or channeling practice, or just for target practice as a hobby. Or as a weapon to be wielded with the intent to kill under the listed exceptions from the third oath.

It’s an interesting gray area. Someone should ask Sanderson about it.

Anyways cheers to the writers for making Liandrin so sketchy and for keeping us book readers guessing.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Okay well if the air blade doesn’t do it for you, then the part where she very clearly lied to Mat after reading the Bel Tine letter from Perrin should probably do it!

Nynaeve’s reading of the letter in the scene previously directly references missing Mat, and then Liandrin, reading the same letter to Mat, claims directly that there’s been no mention of him in any of the letters they’ve received.

Maybe there’s some real fuckery going on where she has an altered version of the letter but…it feels more like they’re dropping heavy hints that she doesn’t operate like a bound Sister.

On that note I love that Rafe et al’ are kind of dealing with the biggest problem in the books - that all of these people that love and know each other basically don’t communicate with each other for plot convenience reasons (something that gets even dumber as the logistical barriers break down further into the series).

Showing Perrin actually corresponding with Nynaeve and Egwene was really good. Hope we see more of that as the story moves along. Like a million conflicts on WoT get solved when one wool-headed shepherd writes a letter to his pals.

VanillaGorilla fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Sep 2, 2023

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
I mentioned that letter earlier, and the response was that Liandrin’s exact wording was “no mention of Mat Cauthon”. The letters all say “Mat”, you see, not “Mat Cauthon”. I find this argument unconvincing, but time will tell if Liandrin is already Black Ajah or if she was splitting hairs with the oaths.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

BigHead posted:

Lan getting owned in a sword fight twice in the first three episodes made my husband ask "does he always suck this much?"

I was disappointed about that as well. Come on Lan.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

buffalo all day posted:

if they found someone even more lanfear-ish than the lady they have playing Selene then people are going to start spontaneously combusting

Pleads posted:

if they found someone even more lanfear-ish than the lady they have playing Selene then people are going to start spontaneously degloving

lol

I mean, it's her. But Rafe does seem to love the Jokester's Trick, and it makes for a fun viewing experience

JavaJesus
Jul 4, 2007

VanillaGorilla posted:

Nynaeve’s reading of the letter in the scene previously directly references missing Mat, and then Liandrin, reading the same letter to Mat, claims directly that there’s been no mention of him in any of the letters they’ve received.

Maybe there’s some real fuckery going on where she has an altered version of the letter but…it feels more like they’re dropping heavy hints that she doesn’t operate like a bound Sister.
Liandrin is definitely violating the spirit of the oath, but at the same time she's still within the letter of the oath so as to keep viewers guessing. As someone noted earlier in the thread, when she's talking to Mat she explicitly says there's no mention of "Mat Cauthon", which is technically true because Perrin, Egwene, and Nynaeve all know who Mat is without his last name, and so the letter simply says "Mat". Along with Verin talking about loopholes in oaths, I assume the writers are trying to foster exactly this kind of discussion both for Liandrin now and Verin later.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Clever Moniker posted:

The second oath is “no creating weapons that can kill”

That is not the second oath. "To make no weapon with which one man may kill another". An air blade she is holding can not be used by another. Also she isn't a man.

VanillaGorilla posted:

Okay well if the air blade doesn’t do it for you, then the part where she very clearly lied to Mat after reading the Bel Tine letter from Perrin should probably do it!

She did not lie to mat at all.

"A dozen letters and not a single mention of Mat Calthoun"

Well, if all the letters just say Mat then they're not mentioning Mat Calthoun are they?

If each letter has at least one mention of Mat, then there are dozens of mentions of Mat, not a single one.

She did not say "There has been no mention of him in any of the letters". Very clearly did not say that.

I find it entertaining that this is all coming up, as we all know the oaths are pretty much bullshit. It even comes up in the books. People mistrust the oaths, or flat out don't believe they exist, because the Aes Sedai worked around them so much that they're effectively useless.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

efb but: Here's what Liandrin says:

quote:

Hmm. Now that must be painful, a dozen letters now, and not a single mention of Mat Cauthon.
Just read it from her perspective as "and I haven't mentioned Mat a single time." She's been omitting any mention of Mat from the letters, so there's no mention of Mat, so there's no lie.

(The "they mention Mat, not specifically Mat Cauthon" is also a technical truth but not the one I went with when watching the scene , and she can use both to point out that she never lied.)

It's classic Aes Sedai wordsmithing and she's definitely still Black unless they go for the tragic fall arc but that feels like a lot to cram to a season

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

CainFortea posted:

That is not the second oath. "To make no weapon with which one man may kill another". An air blade she is holding can not be used by another. Also she isn’t a man.

You’re confusing Wheel of Time with Lord of the Rings here. The oath in the first season used the word “person”, not “man”. That loophole is closed.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
They could always give her Elaida's plot instead

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Grundulum posted:

You’re confusing Wheel of Time with Lord of the Rings here. The oath in the first season used the word “person”, not “man”. That loophole is closed.

I am not confusing the wheel of time with lord of the rings. The literal textual line is as i quoted it.

On top of that, regardless of the genders involved, on both a physical level and a metaphysical level, she is not two different people. She is just the one person.

Edit:

From Nyneave's accepted test in the book.

CainFortea fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Sep 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

CainFortea posted:

That is not the second oath. "To make no weapon with which one man may kill another". An air blade she is holding can not be used by another. Also she isn't a man.

She did not lie to mat at all.

"A dozen letters and not a single mention of Mat Calthoun"

Well, if all the letters just say Mat then they're not mentioning Mat Calthoun are they?

If each letter has at least one mention of Mat, then there are dozens of mentions of Mat, not a single one.

She did not say "There has been no mention of him in any of the letters". Very clearly did not say that.

I find it entertaining that this is all coming up, as we all know the oaths are pretty much bullshit. It even comes up in the books. People mistrust the oaths, or flat out don't believe they exist, because the Aes Sedai worked around them so much that they're effectively useless.

Lol okay but now we’re getting into levels of three oaths wordsmithing and conspiracy drawing that make no sense from a narrative standpoint.

Rafe and the writers would have to be going to an insane length to change a pretty central part of the early books for….I dunno, shock value? One that would probably just piss a lot of people off?

I agree they’re trying to make it ambiguous for show watchers (and doing a good job), but it seems just as likely that they’re dropping clear winks for book readers who know what’s coming.

Maybe it makes some sense to pull a swerve if they’re combining Liandrin and Elaida for the show but we have no real evidence that’s the case yet. And if you WERE going to do it I would probably have just named the character Elaida as she’s much more central to the overall narrative and it would help with the ambiguity because a lot of the audience knows that Liandrin is supposed to be a dark friend.

Also Elaida probably has a bigger fan-base than Liandrin so cutting her seems dumb.

VanillaGorilla fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Sep 2, 2023