Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Killing other people in the Pursuer fight is great fun. The best is to kill the host after killing the Pursuer. They still get the win so they don't really lose anything but they have to walk all the way back to the boss room so ultimately you just waste a couple minutes of their time. It's pretty great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

I am new to the Dark Souls catalog and am playing through for the first time. [...] Any thoughts?

You might find a Large Club after a certain boss in the Bastille. Two hand it and enjoy having one of the most amazing PvE enemy stomping weapons in the game.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
So uh, do you get different loot when you're Deprived or something?
I just made one and when I got to the Majula mansion I didn't get a Soul Vessel.. I got a Petrified Something. I apparently got two more somewhere else too, because when I checked my inventory I had three of them :confused:

Did... my game screw up somehow?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Maybe they changed it to that in the most recent calibrations patch? One calibration patch (before the PC release) changed that Soul Vessel to a Divine Blessing, then it went back to a Soul Vessel in a later one. That it happened again and with a different item makes me wonder if that's a glitch or something.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
On a totally unrelated note;

Do you even lift?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Welp, did some quick spear testing since the wiki is kind of lovely. The stone soldier spear is middle of the road for damage and is a quality spear, but has the absolute longest reach of any spear. Like, this thing is so loving long. Infusing it doesn't do much to help it even with 40 faith so it's probably better to just leave it normal.

Also, the channeler's trident is one of the few spears (if the only spear) that has a rolling thrust attack, and has more attack than any of the elemental spears when infused, even the Dragonslayer's Spear. A close second is the Gargoyle's Bident, which gets 7 more damage over the Trident at 40/40 but loses the great two-handed rolling attack, one-handed strong attack, and the ability to get the gently caress up. The partisan has A dex scaling but only does 9 more damage than the stone soldier spear with none of the range.

So basically your options for spears are stone soldier spear or channeler's trident.

Control Volume fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Jun 5, 2014

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Genocyber posted:

Maybe they changed it to that in the most recent calibrations patch? One calibration patch (before the PC release) changed that Soul Vessel to a Divine Blessing, then it went back to a Soul Vessel in a later one. That it happened again and with a different item makes me wonder if that's a glitch or something.

New deprived "feature" you can't respec because all soul vessels are replaced with petrified something.

So mean it might even be true.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Control Volume posted:

So basically your options for spears are stone soldier spear or channeler's trident.

Partizan and Silverblack Spear. The former is a little weak being pure phys and dex scaling, but the latter is pretty strong when made dark and buffed, and they both have nice horizontal r2s.

Pate's Spear is also decent because it has some lance moves mixed in.

Grayshift
May 31, 2013
"Git gud" playthrough report: Last Giant, Pursuer, and Dragonrider down. Last Giant took a few tries because I got greedy at first and since I was pretty drat hollow everything would one shot me, but all in all I had more trouble with those ridiculous spear hollows. Dragonrider was easy as ever.

Pursuer is a much different fight when you can't summon two distractions/targets to ballista him to death. I got him down to 2/3rds health a couple times before I'd screw up my roll twice in a row. Currently twohanding a Bastard Sword +3. Won when I parried him and nailed him with a ballista while he was stunned a couple times.

"Git gud" conditions:
Covenant of Champions for any kind of progression.
Only ranged attacks permitted are pyromancies.
Always Fashion Souls.
Only slash/thrust weapons against mooks, strike damage is okay on bosses.
No 100% physical block shields.

It's not about getting the most challenging experience possible. If I wanted that, I'd be doing a SL1 run. It's about limiting the cheesing tactics to allow the game to throw everything it has at me. No Lightning Spear death squads for bosses, no easy estus/spell replenishment mid-stage via small white sign, allowing chip damage through a shield.

Next up: No Man's Wharf. I don't expect too much trouble from the vikings but the gangly rear end in a top hat party in the building is going to be a bitch and a half. 10 str and 13 dex so far (so I can use the buckler), currently boosting vigor and endurance to 20 with my levels.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Genocyber posted:

Partizan and Silverblack Spear. The former is a little weak being pure phys and dex scaling, but the latter is pretty strong when made dark and buffed, and they both have nice horizontal r2s.

Pate's Spear is also decent because it has some lance moves mixed in.

Oh, didn't realize Pate's Spear had the lance moves. Silverblack spear is still inferior to a dark Channeler's Trident though, since the base damage just beats the poo poo out of any sort of scaling the Silverblack gets. Also when I said pike in my post, I meant partisan. At 40/40 str/dex, the partisan only gets 9 extra damage over the stone soldier spear without the insane range, so it's pretty poo poo all around.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Control Volume posted:

Even though I'm able to run through it in less than a minute, and poison is cured by an easily farmed material, my thought process running through Black Gulch is still "Oh gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress oh jesus I'm poisoned aaaaaa"

I'm gonna make a mod that plays the Sonic drowning music when you get poisoned.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Trip report: the stone soldier spear is one of the weirdest weapons to play in pvp. It's probably the most spearlike of the spears in that you need to use your massive range advantage to wear down an opponent, while being much worse up close. An attack that was too far away gets a spear poke. A running attack gets a spear poke through a shield. Being somewhat close gets a spear poke. The biggest problem with the weapon is the low damage, but figuring this thing out is some of the most fun I've had in pvp in a while. It's just so different.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Not sure what to think of this.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

gently caress The Rotten. More specifically, gently caress his glitchy grab that is more than happy to snap you to his hand despite you obviously dodging/clearing the attack. I had it happen to me a few times as a spirit and thought it was host lag. Nope, the grab is quite happy to do the same if you're soloing the fat bastard.

burntpork
Jan 25, 2010

Control Volume posted:

Trip report: the stone soldier spear is one of the weirdest weapons to play in pvp. It's probably the most spearlike of the spears in that you need to use your massive range advantage to wear down an opponent, while being much worse up close. An attack that was too far away gets a spear poke. A running attack gets a spear poke through a shield. Being somewhat close gets a spear poke. The biggest problem with the weapon is the low damage, but figuring this thing out is some of the most fun I've had in pvp in a while. It's just so different.

Do yourself a favor and upgrade Pate's Spear. Almost exactly the same reach as the Stone Soldier Spear with the added variety of the lance running attacks. Just make sure to put on the Stone Ring.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Art.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

So I beat a GIANT spider but I have no idea how. :v:
I hit it in the face with my club a lot and rolled away whenever it started doing something that wasn't standing there being clubbed in the face.

Now I have the 4 souls and went to a giant castle, is it normal to look like a giant black building with wireframe edges?

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Zedd posted:

So I beat a GIANT spider but I have no idea how. :v:
I hit it in the face with my club a lot and rolled away whenever it started doing something that wasn't standing there being clubbed in the face.

This is how you beat every enemy in the game, though.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

aegof posted:

This is how you beat every enemy in the game, though.
On most of them I can tell its attacking in different ways, this spider just stomped her feet and snapped it's jaws and that's it. :v:

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Drangleic Castle should look something like this. I don't know what you mean by wireframe edges exactly.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Drangleic Castle should look something like this. I don't know what you mean by wireframe edges exactly.

Okay that's how it looks for me, when I first saw It I thought it wasn't textured and was only black stuff and wireframes.
I haven't actually gone up the bridge yet so I assume it will be fine; might as well verify cache to be safe, thanks.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
I started two-handing Havel's Greatshield with a Red-Eye Ring, sunbroing that Mirror Knight and noticed that it did a surprising amount of damage. Turns out it is actually pretty painful to get hit by. Not at all versatile, but still.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

burntpork posted:

Do yourself a favor and upgrade Pate's Spear. Almost exactly the same reach as the Stone Soldier Spear with the added variety of the lance running attacks. Just make sure to put on the Stone Ring.

Decided to see how significant the reach was. These two pictures show the distance from the staircase in Heide before the spear started hitting the wall. Unfortunately wasn't able to test the partisan this way, see if you can spot why! It's as short as a channeler's trident though. Overall I'd say the range is worth it since I'm hitting people right at the edge of it when I fight, and having more of a cushion to do that while staying out of range of their attacks is huge, even if the range difference seems minor overall.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Zedd posted:

Okay that's how it looks for me, when I first saw It I thought it wasn't textured and was only black stuff and wireframes.
I haven't actually gone up the bridge yet so I assume it will be fine; might as well verify cache to be safe, thanks.

Here's a bigger picture from closer up.

It's textured just fine, it's supposed to be black.

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

As my first time playing. I have a sorcery person who sucks at everything except shoot missile and adaptability. The giant was easy and I got him on the first try. The pursuer was an rear end in a top hat and I died over and over, and he kept smashing my precious ballistas. Then I went in, waited in front of a ballista's LOS for him to start his attack animations and immediately gunned for the gun, and I one-shotted him with a ballista. what

I was exploring heide's fire tower of fire when I ran into the mist just to see what's there, and I took out the dragonrider with my 2handed dagger first try. I was out of missile and thought gently caress it, I might as well give it a go. That guy sucks

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Manatee Cannon posted:

Here's a bigger picture from closer up.

It's textured just fine, it's supposed to be black.
Yeah I see that now, just from a larger distance it looked like the actual textures didn't load. :v:

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

KinkyJohn posted:

That guy sucks

Boy, you don't know half of it. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyTB-L760y0&t=25s

Sometimes he even does that unprovoked. Just... walks off the platform.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

KinkyJohn posted:

I was exploring heide's fire tower of fire when I ran into the mist just to see what's there, and I took out the dragonrider with my 2handed dagger first try. I was out of missile and thought gently caress it, I might as well give it a go. That guy sucks

Just in case you're not aware: if you drop a white sign and successfully complete a co-op run, it'll recharge your spells as well as repairing your gear and giving you your humanity back :)

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Boy, sure am glad the OP says it's ok to summon help for the Smelter Demon fight because I sure couldn't do jack poo poo to it. Fortunately some generous bloke with a fist full of lightning spells put an end to my nightmare.

Maybe someday I'll cast a spell in a Dark Souls game.

Doubtful though.

ninotoreS
Aug 20, 2009

Thanks for the input, Jeff!
So, does anyone know why at the stairs leading up to Drangleic Castle (the very end of the Shrine of Winter zone, right before the Drangleic Castle zone change), the stairs makes a sound like splashing water when you jump and land on it?

Specifically, I'm referring to the place where you fight three royal soldiers (one swordsman, two crossbowmen) while going up the path, before you get to the crystal lizard. If you jump off the little landing where the crossbowmen were and land, and it makes a sound like water when you land. It's REALLY weird and I can't figure out if it's a bug, or some sort of hint at a secret or some lore thing (I try not to underestimate Dark Souls' capacity for subtlety in this regard). There were orange text messages left by other players referring to it, so I know it's not just my individual game being glitched.

Control Volume posted:

Notes on the channeler's trident:

- the one-handed R2 and rolling R1 register as three hits

- if you power stance two channeler's tridents, the L2 attack registers as six hits

- durability depletes EXTREMELY fast with this weapon, especially on the PC (because durability is glitched on the PC and effectively depletes twice as fast), so if you're gonna main this weapon, you either need to get more than one from the crow, invest some spell slots in the Repair spell, and/or wear the bracing knuckle ring and get the +2 version of it ASAP

- In PvP, if one has enough poise to not be staggered by the first hit of the one-handed R2, it is VERY easy to parry, because the three-hit effect creates 3x the normal parry window; if their parry missed the first hit, it's almost guaranteed to parry the second hit

- Infusing the channeler's trident with poison or bleed on a 40 Dex build and using the one-handed R2 will trigger the effect hilariously fast... and obviously, doing it with the power-stanced L2 is even more ridiculous

ninotoreS fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Jun 5, 2014

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The game thinks the ground is water, probably because of the rain. You may have noticed that if one of the royal soldiers dies on the stairs it'll display the falling into water animation and disappear.

ninotoreS
Aug 20, 2009

Manatee Cannon posted:

The game thinks the ground is water, probably because of the rain. You may have noticed that if one of the royal soldiers dies on the stairs it'll display the falling into water animation and disappear.

So it's just a glitch, then.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
loving with bell covenant players using the white ring is absolutely hilarious. Just act inconspicuous, as though you were waiting for them to fight the host together and they'll buy it. If I kill the 1st phantom before the 2nd arrives, I like to use chameleon and hide then come from behind and act like I just got there and follow them around looking for the host together. This is all sub-1M soul memory so maybe players get a little bit wiser heading towards NG+ and beyond.

How can I get summoned by the rat covenant more often? The dried finger seems to do nothing. The rat covenant is the worst covenant for the worst players and I want to stomp on them but I can never get summoned more than once, after that I better go fight something else for an hour or so.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Popular user-defined tags for this product:
Casual Kawaii DLC Hardcore RPG +

ninotoreS
Aug 20, 2009

Sanctum posted:

loving with bell covenant players using the white ring is absolutely hilarious. Just act inconspicuous, as though you were waiting for them to fight the host together and they'll buy it. If I kill the 1st phantom before the 2nd arrives, I like to use chameleon and hide then come from behind and act like I just got there and follow them around looking for the host together. This is all sub-1M soul memory so maybe players get a little bit wiser heading towards NG+ and beyond.

How can I get summoned by the rat covenant more often? The dried finger seems to do nothing. The rat covenant is the worst covenant for the worst players and I want to stomp on them but I can never get summoned more than once, after that I better go fight something else for an hour or so.

Have you tried throwing a bunch of ascetics in the belfry zone's bonfire and using a seed of the giants? That's pretty great, too. The bellkeepers die like flies as the puppets surprise-buttsecks them all and two-hit everybody.

As for getting summoned as a grey phantom in the rat zones, I find that you can really only expect it to happen much in Grave of Saints at low Soul Memory in NG. Beyond that, you need to change to Doors of Pharros. Good luck with that, though; smart Ratbros will use ascetics to make things stupid-hard for you, and the enemies in Doors of Pharros are a far cry from the rats in Grave of Saints.

quote:

The rat covenant is the worst covenant for the worst players

I think this is a little unfair, btw. Pulled in grey phantoms in the rat-zones are risking literally nothing (and will win a lockstone if they make it to the boss fog), while the Ratbro host is the only one that actually has something on the line.

The covenant is very useful for farming lockstones. I'm glad its in the game for this reason.

ninotoreS fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Jun 5, 2014

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one
Yeah I like the lockstones, plus it's a reward you get for not being in the covenant.

What do you mean the ratlord host is risking something? They stand on the highground and spam sorcery/pyro/miracle/hex nukes while you are bogged down in slow water fighting enemies. Don't try to defend the rat covenant players. :eng99:

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
getting mad about being rat-bro'd makes you a bitch fyi

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one
I'm trying to get ratlorded more frequently. Not for lockstones, but for sport.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
the worst kind of person is the kind of person who when rat'd in doors of pharros runs to the little ledge tunnel and stays there.

You are human trash, you know who you are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninotoreS
Aug 20, 2009

Cowcaster posted:

All you get by decreasing your equip load downwards is the distance your roll actually takes you.

Nope.

It also effectively determines the speed of your stamina regen-rate.

There's an ENORMOUS difference in stamina regen between 60% and 30% equip load. I really can't tolerate playing with more than 50% equip-load, specifically because of how slow the stamina regen gets.

Having 30% or less is a huge advantage in PvP, at least for me.