Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

milk milk lemonade posted:

It was a well-taken joke, haha. But when I mention this dude to other people on the team that don't take part on interviews I can smell their sweat.

....And maybe stop sniffing your coworkers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Arsten posted:

....And maybe stop sniffing your coworkers.

"Hey, man. Do you wash?"

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Internet Explorer posted:

"Hey, man. Do you wash?"

A literal funk permeating your office is not someone sniffing your sweat. :colbert:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
When I was doing I.T. support at a call center I'd come in for my graveyard shift and as I opened the door I'd be greeted by an unpleasant odor of dampness and anxiety. It smelled like a human version of a moldy air conditioning unit. The night shift was just one person, and he was a decent guy but how he managed to produce a stench that permeated the entire office was beyond me, especially considering how well-ventilated it was. The first couple of shifts I actually asked him if there was a leak somewhere because I was reminded of the odor of flooded carpet.

I can still remember that smell. :(

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Dick Trauma posted:

When I was doing I.T. support at a call center I'd come in for my graveyard shift and as I opened the door I'd be greeted by an unpleasant odor of dampness and anxiety. It smelled like a human version of a moldy air conditioning unit. The night shift was just one person, and he was a decent guy but how he managed to produce a stench that permeated the entire office was beyond me, especially considering how well-ventilated it was. The first couple of shifts I actually asked him if there was a leak somewhere because I was reminded of the odor of flooded carpet.

Look on the bright side. At least you have stories to horrify your grandchildren with.

"In my day, people didn't know how to wash! It was a ball sweat and rear end world out there." :v:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I had an old boss that had really bad coffee breath, and would always position himself so your faces were 6 inches apart when he was talking to you.

Terminal
Feb 17, 2003
The Void

anthonypants posted:

Speaking of cabling, what's a good labeler? A good one.

Seconding the Brady labelers with cloth labels. Highly adjustable wire wrap mode that gives you a nice chunk of lead-in material so the label has good overlap. Attacked many an existing firewall/switch that's full of lovely Dymo wrap labels splitting at the seams and leaving gooey hell behind.

The cloth labels also stick really well to the various textured surface of modern branded desktops. Looking at you and your sandpaper-y powder coat, Dell.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

DigitalMocking posted:

Not mine, but I still have PTSD from even seeing this.

:stonk:

I assume that is the last surviving photo of poor Blue Shirt, seconds before falling into the Sarlacc Pit on the left? :rip:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

anthonypants posted:

Speaking of cabling, what's a good labeler? A good one.
I have a Dymo Rhino 4200. It's a bit basic, but it's cheap and does the job for cable identification. Buy nylon tape for cables, not vinyl.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Docjowles posted:

I assume that is the last surviving photo of poor Blue Shirt, seconds before falling into the Sarlacc Pit on the left? :rip:

All I can think of is;

"Cat3... why did it have to be Cat3..."

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Stolen from the Funny Pictures thread:

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

:agreed:

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Dick Trauma posted:

Guy I worked with absolutely reeked of cat piss. Like drenched in it. It was so bad that management made him have a bottle of febreeze in his desk to douse his clothing with if someone complained. One day he came into work pretty bummed out. We asked him what was up and he said that the sheriff's made him get rid of all but 6 cats. How many did he have to give up? Over 50. :stonk:

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

My company wouldn't even give us Christmas off if they had the choice. :(

Not only do I not get holidays, Christmas week is mandatory, every day, including Christmas, because it's our busiest time.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Colonial Air Force posted:

Not only do I not get holidays, Christmas week is mandatory, every day, including Christmas, because it's our busiest time.

Did I read this right, or did you just say you are required to work on Christmas day....

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Retail support or shipping support?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Did I read this right, or did you just say you are required to work on Christmas day....

That's correct. Hospitality is a bitch.

On the other hand, I can do pretty much gently caress all most of the summer and no one cares.

The Fool posted:

Retail support or shipping support?

Ski resort.

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

There is nothing tougher than a tough Mexican, just as there is nothing gentler than a gentle Mexican, nothing more honest than an honest Mexican, and above all nothing sadder than a sad Mexican. -R. Chandler.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Call centers also work Christmas and New Year. It sucks balls. Particularly when you have to come home afterwards AND cook dinner.

ming-the-mazdaless
Nov 30, 2005

Whore funded horsepower

George H.W. oval office posted:

Guy I worked with absolutely reeked of cat piss. Like drenched in it. It was so bad that management made him have a bottle of febreeze in his desk to douse his clothing with if someone complained. One day he came into work pretty bummed out. We asked him what was up and he said that the sheriff's made him get rid of all but 6 cats. How many did he have to give up? Over 50. :stonk:

I worked with a cat man once upon a time (2 separate jobs). He was terrible at everything but managed to make himself indispensable at job 2. He always reeked of cat piss and I don't know if it was psychological, but he stank more whenever he wore his Cats (the musical) t--shirt.
I am so glad I don't have to listen to his litestep is best bullshit while holding my breath.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

At my current job I have mandatory days off from around 12th of December until the 6th of January.

Not paid though.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

That's correct. Hospitality is a bitch.

On the other hand, I can do pretty much gently caress all most of the summer and no one cares.

Ski resort.

Family can wait, Chas and Buffy's Wi-Fi can not.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
They don't turn the internet off on major holidays - a lot of people in IT need to work or at least be on call. Between Christmas week and New Year's week, there's a 1 in 3 chance I'll be on call for one of them (6 man rotation). C'est la vie.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I'm basically never not on call for production system down notices (along with the Sr. Sysadmin) but they are extremely rare (3-4 times yearly?) and it is offset by flexible daily hours, low stress environment, and getting to "work from home" instead of burning PTO for holiday breaks when nobody is around and we wouldn't be making any changes. If something does come up during those times I'll just drive the 10 minutes in if it can't be fixed remotely. It's higher ed, so everything big happens in the summer. Pay is lower than I'd make private sector, but the job security and low stress make it worth it.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Boogalo posted:

I'm basically never not on call for production system down notices (along with the Sr. Sysadmin) but they are extremely rare (3-4 times yearly?) and it is offset by flexible daily hours, low stress environment, and getting to "work from home" instead of burning PTO for holiday breaks when nobody is around and we wouldn't be making any changes. If something does come up during those times I'll just drive the 10 minutes in if it can't be fixed remotely. It's higher ed, so everything big happens in the summer. Pay is lower than I'd make private sector, but the job security and low stress make it worth it.

This is basically me, we're on call 24/7/365, we do a rotation now (I just pushed to get one started) where we have a primary and secondary on-call, but technically if those guys are unavailable for whatever reason I could get a call. I get maybe 5-10 calls a year and they're typically during the week and early in the morning.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Paid week of Christmas + day after new years off ftw

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
we charge a metric fuckton for christmas/thanksgiving day support

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Please don't pull a DAF and prioritize work over Christmas and family stuff. Please. You're all better than that even though I am regularly and aggravatingly incredulous as poo poo in this thread.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

CLAM DOWN posted:

Please don't pull a DAF and prioritize work over Christmas and family stuff. Please. You're all better than that even though I am regularly and aggravatingly incredulous as poo poo in this thread.

Is that kid still alive?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Moey posted:

Is that kid still alive?

I believe he was permabanned for being creepy about anime or something :laffo:

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I forgot that it was Thanksgiving yesterday. Is forgetting about holidays because of work worse than deliberately prioritizing work?

Methanar fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Oct 11, 2016

mewse
May 2, 2006

I am thankful for short term memory loss, and that explains why we had turkey for dinner yesterday

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Is it wrong I'd volunteer for Thanksgiving/Black Friday support to be on-call for 2x comp? I have no plans of going home and most of our clients wouldn't be open anyway.

unclenutzzy
Jun 6, 2007

SeaborneClink posted:

Is it wrong I'd volunteer for Thanksgiving/Black Friday support to be on-call for 2x comp? I have no plans of going home and most of our clients wouldn't be open anyway.

Get money get paid

mewse
May 2, 2006

SeaborneClink posted:

You do you

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
2nd to last day at this job, trying not to slip into full-on "gently caress-it" mode but really the more I do the less time anybody has to ask how I did it.

For example, one of the software support guys has recently sunk his claws into powershell after I used it to resolve so many tickets at a much faster pace than expected. Today they needed a printer added in to 7 computers and planned on working remotely overnight so they didn't have to kick the users off of their computers to install the new driver. They have a really bad habit of "oh this is inconvenient for you? Ok then I'll sacrifice time with my family at 8 PM to do it."

2 hours later I've got a powershell script that takes care of everything, call the department, they're super happy. Software support guy asks to see the script so he can try to use it in the future, and asks me to document what needs to be done in the script for it to work.

Buddy, there are 7 custom variables in the script that need to be changed for a new printer. I did about 30 minutes of testing and tweaking after I thought I was finished. There's no loving way you'll ever successfully use this script and I refuse to answer a call at my new job about how you need help getting it to work / unfucking a few PCs because you did it wrong.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Speaking of scripting, I posted this in the general programming thread which is basically a follow-up to this post, but I figured I'd share it here as well, especially since you folks seem to know what you're doing :)

I need a bash script that can rename tens of thousands of files and folders so they're compatible with Egnyte. My goals:

1. Delete leading and trailing spaces (i.e. /User/ Documents/ and /User/Documents /)
2. Delete hidden control characters (there are ton of folders with font packs in them containing weird poo poo like that for some reason)
3. Replace the characters listed in the above link ( \ / " : < > | * ? + ) with " - " (space dash space, or at least just a dash)

After reading up a ton on sed and following a bunch of stackexchange posts, I've come up with this:
code:
#!/bin/bash                                                                        

IFS=$'\n'
for file in $(find -d . -name "* ")
do
  target_name=$(echo "$file" | sed 's/^[[:space:]]*//;s/[[:space:]]*$//;s/[[:cntrl:]]*//;s/[\\/":<>|*?+]*/ - /')
  if [ "$file" != "$target_name" ]; then
      if [ -e $target_name ]; then
          echo "WARNING: $target_name already exists, file not renamed"
      else
          echo "Renaming $file to $target_name"
          mv "$file" "$target_name"
      fi
  fi
done
Obviously, the sed command needed to make this work is tricky, and I think I messed up somewhere along the line. Not only that, but I'm not sure at all that the for and if functions are set up correctly. Running the script as --verbose, it seems to parse the test directory I ran it on correctly (properly recognizing "/TrailingSpaceFolder " and making $target_name "/TrailingSpaceFolder", but then do some weird poo poo while trying to actually rename it, ultimately breaking the script and stopping it.

Anybody really well-versed want to help me out?

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

There's an awkward divide between people who understand some basic scripting and programming and those who don't. Starting to see that awkward divide pop up more and more in fields that aren't IT.

I kind of feel like we're going to look back on that divide like the way we look back on the illiteracy divide in early industrial revolution today. I certainly know which group I intend to remain part of.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

MiniFoo posted:

Speaking of scripting, I posted this in the general programming thread which is basically a follow-up to this post, but I figured I'd share it here as well, especially since you folks seem to know what you're doing :)

I need a bash script that can rename tens of thousands of files and folders so they're compatible with Egnyte. My goals:

1. Delete leading and trailing spaces (i.e. /User/ Documents/ and /User/Documents /)
2. Delete hidden control characters (there are ton of folders with font packs in them containing weird poo poo like that for some reason)
3. Replace the characters listed in the above link ( \ / " : < > | * ? + ) with " - " (space dash space, or at least just a dash)

After reading up a ton on sed and following a bunch of stackexchange posts, I've come up with this:
code:
#!/bin/bash                                                                        

IFS=$'\n'
for file in $(find -d . -name "* ")
do
  target_name=$(echo "$file" | sed 's/^[[:space:]]*//;s/[[:space:]]*$//;s/[[:cntrl:]]*//;s/[\\/":<>|*?+]*/ - /')
  if [ "$file" != "$target_name" ]; then
      if [ -e $target_name ]; then
          echo "WARNING: $target_name already exists, file not renamed"
      else
          echo "Renaming $file to $target_name"
          mv "$file" "$target_name"
      fi
  fi
done
Obviously, the sed command needed to make this work is tricky, and I think I messed up somewhere along the line. Not only that, but I'm not sure at all that the for and if functions are set up correctly. Running the script as --verbose, it seems to parse the test directory I ran it on correctly (properly recognizing "/TrailingSpaceFolder " and making $target_name "/TrailingSpaceFolder", but then do some weird poo poo while trying to actually rename it, ultimately breaking the script and stopping it.

Anybody really well-versed want to help me out?
I'm going to guess you're running this on OS X? find has slightly different parameters on Linux. What happens when you run find -d . -name "* "? If you get a string like, './filename ' then your sed string is going to get rid of that first slash and you'll probably end up with something like '. - filename'

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Pryor on Fire posted:

There's an awkward divide between people who understand some basic scripting and programming and those who don't. Starting to see that awkward divide pop up more and more in fields that aren't IT.

I kind of feel like we're going to look back on that divide like the way we look back on the illiteracy divide in early industrial revolution today. I certainly know which group I intend to remain part of.

On the IT side I completely agree. It's awkward to try to work with people who can only manage with the GUI.

And somehow they don't grasp the value in repeatability, scalability, version control, etc because "it's so much easier in the GUI"

OK. Good luck with that in this trapdoor changing industry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

anthonypants posted:

I'm going to guess you're running this on OS X? find has slightly different parameters on Linux. What happens when you run find -d . -name "* "? If you get a string like, './filename ' then your sed string is going to get rid of that first slash and you'll probably end up with something like '. - filename'

Yeah, OS X macOS. Once I'm back from lunch I'll run it again to see exactly what it does.