Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Isn't dryer lint also surprisingly radioactive, too?

Y'all are cowards.

PainterofCrap posted:

I have seen what that does to a house. It ain't pretty.

We finally remembered to clean ours and the hookup between the dryer and the port in the wall into the crawlspace ducting had scorching on it. :stare: We now have a calendar reminder + empirical test the chimney sweep suggested to us. (Dry towels and time it. Then if you ever think it's slowing down a little dry those same 6 towels again and time it. If it's gone up at all it's overdue for cleaning.) I'm very glad our new house has 6" run of duct between inside and outside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I've been eyeballing one of the newer fancy all-in-one ones that have heat pump non-vented dyers and I can't wait to actually buy one.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Unvented? What happens to the moisture?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

It's like a dehumidifier. It condenses to liquid and goes out the washer drain.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

That's badass

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011
We have one of those, it's great. There is some humidity in the room when it's running, but that's basically it

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Internet Explorer posted:

I've been eyeballing one of the newer fancy all-in-one ones that have heat pump non-vented dyers and I can't wait to actually buy one.

For what it's worth, these are frequently installed on sailboats (space considerations, not needing a vent) and they're almost universally hated and torn out for ones with a vent, because they don't get the clothes dry enough.

Might work better in non-humid climates / be different for one designed for residential, but I don't think I'd ever go with one.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I have an LG combo washer/ventless dryer (Lg Wm3488hw) and it takes some getting used to. Honestly if/when we remodel, I'll be replacing it with standard machines without thinking twice about it. This machine was in the house when we moved in 3 years ago and appears to be 5 years old. I was curious to try it out. Here are my observations.

Pros
  • Not transferring laundry is great. Put it in, take it out and its done. No transferring or forgetting wet clothes in the washer is nice.
  • Its small, 24" and fits into a small hallway closet that our PO made for this machine. Great for small areas.
  • Washing is no different, it seems to only take a half hour or so.
Cons
  • Loads are much smaller. I would say 1/2 to 3/4 the size of a standard load of laundry but its also a small machine.
  • Technically the machine says 3/4 of the tub can be filled for washing, but only 1/2 for drying. We just do slightly smaller loads.
  • High spin, hot water loads dry quicker than cold water and low spin speed loads.
  • Washing is normal duration, about 30 mins, but drying takes several hours, longer if the items are large or bulky, or if you overloaded the dryer.
  • There's no dry lint trap so it ends up in the tub water and needs to be cleaned out often or your machine won't dry. You have to drain roughly a gallon of water and clear out the screen with a tooth brush and it takes a few minutes to do. Its pretty annoying and doesn't always work.
  • Every year, my machine stops drying completely for seemingly no reason. I have to disassemble it and clear it out. Its wet lint buildup that has fully blocked the plastic manifold. Its a huge pain and not easy to get to. It requires taking the top off the machine and removing the top of the heat pump and using a special long, flexible, stiff bristled scrub brush and a shop vac to get it out. I also use a long piece of romex with the ends mushroomed out to scrape out the hardened lint buildup. Its a chore and I want to remodel the next day just to get rid of this thing.
  • Its loud. It shakes the whole house when its running. I've installed rubber horse mats beneath the feat to insulate it. Ive wedged rubber padding to the sides to insulate it from the walls. I've leveled it. I've added extra bracing to the subfloor in the crawlspace. I replaced the shocks in the machine itself. Not much help.
  • We feel like we're constantly cleaning this thing. The rubber gasket needs a wipe every load to keep it from getting funky. The drain valve gets clogged and blowing into the rubber hose helps unclog it. The lint trap needs cleaning at least every month or so.
  • We still need to hang dry a lot of clothes
So far in 3 years of ownership I've replaced:
2x - drain pumps ($30-50 ea.) and an hour of your time.
3x - shocks ($60)
1x - cold water inlet valve ($30) and about 30 minutes

For my wife and I, I would guess we run a load every day or every other just to keep from amassing a pile of clothes. On laundry days its running all day.

Maybe its just this model, maybe they've gotten better over the years. :shrug: When we were in Barcelona over the summer, that Airbnb had a pair of bosch machines and they were ventless and they seemed better in terms of performance.

From this experience I'll be looking for a standard set of machines at some point when we remodel our bathrooms to accommodate full size machines. I would much rather clean out a lint trap and exhaust hose every now and then vs all the maintenance needed on this thing.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

TrueChaos posted:

For what it's worth, these are frequently installed on sailboats (space considerations, not needing a vent) and they're almost universally hated and torn out for ones with a vent, because they don't get the clothes dry enough.

Might work better in non-humid climates / be different for one designed for residential, but I don't think I'd ever go with one.

I believe that your information may be out of date. There are a few larger, high-end models out. GE, LG, etc. There are also heat pump dryers that are not all-in-one units that are unvented.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Heat pump dryers take something incredibly simple and add an air conditioner to it. I wouldn't do it unless absolutely required.

And all in one's are how I would definitely dry all the jeans and sweaters into 3 sizes too small.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Verman posted:

I have an LG combo washer/ventless dryer (Lg Wm3488hw) and it takes some getting used to.
Cons
[list]
[*]Loads are much smaller. I would say 1/2 to 3/4 the size of a standard load of laundry but its also a small machine.
[*]Technically the machine says 3/4 of the tub can be filled for washing, but only 1/2 for drying. We just do slightly smaller loads.

We have the "LG WM3997HWA Ventless 4.3 Cu. Ft." which I think is/was the largest ventless unit on the market in 2019

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00LIAP2ZY

Not for sale anymore but that's a picture of it

It's been... Fine? The best part is:

Put dirty clothes in at night, wake up to clean dry clothes. No intermediary "set a timer or remember to go swap the cold wet clothes to the other machine, probably dropping some of them on the floor" step

If we go baby #2 we're definitely getting one of those euro sized 2.0 cu ft models for our master bathroom

Strong agree on needing to monitor load sizes on it though, the clothes need excellent air flow to dry in a reasonable amount of time. We also do ~half loads. This is totally fine though due to the dirty clothes in -> clean dry clothes out

If your workflow involves doing 12 loads on Sunday then this isn't the appliance for you

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Feb 5, 2024

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

H110Hawk posted:

Heat pump dryers take something incredibly simple and add an air conditioner to it. I wouldn't do it unless absolutely required.

Eh, I have a bosch and I really like it. The advantage is the same as any heatpump, you're getting more heat per watt compared to a resistive heating element. That makes a big deal in countries where the cost of electricity is high. it also scavenges its own heat, ie : the condenser is pulling moisture out of the hot air which feeds heat back to the process.

It uses a moisture sensor to detect when to stop which is probably what causes people issues. Some materials don't wick the moisture to the outer surface and if they're stuck up against the sensor the rest of the load can still be damp when it shuts off. On the like three occasions that happened in the three years I've had it I just pull the offending item and rerun. It's self cleaning aside from the lint trap and has been entirely maintenance free.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Yeah, I get it that they are overall very cool, I just am pretty worried about the repair and replacement story there. Same with water heaters. With water heaters it's a much bigger issue due to them dying due to non-heat-pump related issues which people are never going to improve on. A regular "bulk heat" (gas, restive electric) ones are very resilient to failure and cheap to repair. Suddenly everyone has to be an HVAC tech to manage these.

Moisture sensors leaving clothes damp makes me want to scream - are there ways to override that on heat pump dryers? (Like I can for now on my gas dryer.)

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

H110Hawk posted:

Suddenly everyone has to be an HVAC tech to manage these.

The GE one is pretty clever - the entier sealed system is a field replacable unit. No refrigeration knowledge necessary.

But in general, I'm with you on this. They are new to the US, the parts chain is thin, the repair knowledge even thinner, and like many "high effeicieny" appliances (especially water heaters and heating/cooling equipment) the highest efficieny ones don't seem to pay back in the real world as their lab-tested efficiency results often are wildly optimistic and don't pan out in the field where their bespoke parts don't exist on trucks or even local distribution and the techs spend more time opn the phone with them naufacturer than doing work. We're not in a great place with these things right now. The manufacturing needs to shake out and settle on "standard" parts and controls.

I really like the heat pump dryers and want to see them do well. Even better if an all in one that I can put in my closet and attach to nothing more than hot/cold/drain and 120v becomes an affordable, serviceable, reliable reality.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Internet Explorer posted:

I believe that your information may be out of date. There are a few larger, high-end models out. GE, LG, etc. There are also heat pump dryers that are not all-in-one units that are unvented.

Entirely possible, though the posts above mention similar downsides - I do know the info is current for sailboats right now, not that it means anything for residential! :v: Hopefully the technology has improved with the high-end models out now. Was more intended as a potential caution with ventless technology. :)

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Just give me a single unit air conditioner / heater / water heater / dryer / dehumidifier with a single heat pump and be done with it.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Tesla does this now on most (all?) of their cars now, I think they call it the octopump

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Motronic posted:

The GE one is pretty clever - the entier sealed system is a field replacable unit. No refrigeration knowledge necessary.

That is good to know. Really until these are mandated ( :rip: I live in California, only a matter of time) and we get some kind of regulation around reduction in waste / mandatory 10-years parts+labor warranties ( :rip: living in America) none of this is going to matter. Cars have gotten some of this stuff, but it's not enough.

Dr. Eldarion posted:

Just give me a single unit air conditioner / heater / water heater / dryer / dehumidifier with a single heat pump and be done with it.

Forgot refrigerator!

Truly ironic is that I could use a HRV style system to dry my clothes 9 months out of the year and only need to "top up" the heat during the winter months. Even just doing a heat exchanger type thing with some fans would get it done and avoid the need for filtration, but if it truly just pulled in outside air to blow through the drum and straight back out I could dry my clothes "for free." It would need a HEPA filter to not wind up with smog+pollen covered clothes though so heat exchanger is the better choice. Use one of those pipe-inside-a-pipe exhaust/intake pipes like for water heaters.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

H110Hawk posted:

Isn't dryer lint also surprisingly radioactive, too?

Hah, I had to google this up. Surprise! Very low though, obviously. Electrostatic accumulation of the radon out of the air?? Weird.

Back in boy scouts we would use a shitload for firestarters. Maybe huffing all that burning lint wasn't the best.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Dr. Eldarion posted:

There is a concept of a "refrigeration rack" used in commercial settings that very likely could translate to this type of thing if only we had actual standards. Which will never happen.

(cue the: "Standards are great: there are so many to choose from.")

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Dr. Eldarion posted:

toilet and refrigerator, too, please

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Arctic blast brand heat pump bidets.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

One central appliance pod that does it all - the same place you poo poo also toasts your bread

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
We bought a whirlpool heat pump dryer for when I relocated the washer/dryer to the 2nd floor. Much easier not having to run a gas line and cut a hole in the roof for the vent. It takes longer to dry than a traditional gas fired dryer. But I've got solar and it's effectively free. I'm happy with the decision even if I do need to run two smaller loads that each take close to two hours. Just the two of us doing laundry but I could see it being a problem if you had three teenagers or something.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

That's why I think the all-in-ones could be interesting. If I can just throw in a load on a timer and wake up to a done load, that works for my purposes. Just the two of us as well.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Upgrade posted:

One central appliance pod that does it all - the same place you poo poo also toasts your bread

Point the water nozzle up, bidet. Point it down, drinking water!

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

H110Hawk posted:

Yeah, I get it that they are overall very cool, I just am pretty worried about the repair and replacement story there. Same with water heaters. With water heaters it's a much bigger issue due to them dying due to non-heat-pump related issues which people are never going to improve on. A regular "bulk heat" (gas, restive electric) ones are very resilient to failure and cheap to repair. Suddenly everyone has to be an HVAC tech to manage these.

Moisture sensors leaving clothes damp makes me want to scream - are there ways to override that on heat pump dryers? (Like I can for now on my gas dryer.)

Yes- the moisture sensor can be both overridden using a timed program, or can be calibrated using a 'dryness level' option for all the standard cycles.

I agree they're more complicated than the resistive/gas options, but if anything a drier is the simpler implementation of all the things using heatpumps save for fridges/freezers just because the air path is a short run inline between the condenser and evaporator. I think the bosch uses a self-contained module that can be swapped out on-site rather than needing vented/filled.

The overriding factor imo is the cost to run. With post-ukraine fuel prices in europe and a push to phase out fossil fuels in general, the slightly higher up front cost is paid back in a year of regular use, and repair under warranty costs about the same between the different options.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

StarkingBarfish posted:

repair under warranty costs about the same between the different options.

What does this mean?

Surely you aren't saying they have the same cost to repair for what should be the overwhelming portion of their service life, which is "out of warranty", or perhaps a very shortened service life because they cost too muchb to repair.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Che Delilas posted:

Point the water nozzle up, bidet. Point it down, drinking water!

Bidets are just funny looking drinking fountains

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Hadlock posted:

Tesla does this now on most (all?) of their cars now, I think they call it the octopump

Yes, the Octovalve, not sure if it has filtered to all Tesla models but possibly, engineering changes seem to move fast these days, faster than Wiki etc. can keep up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesla_Model_Y#Heat_pump

I like Sandy Munro so here's him explaining the Octovalve in case you wanted: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGffUODWWSE

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

After a lot of swearing and one (unnecessary, with hindsight) freakout that I was shooting water into my walls, I successfully swapped out my shower mixing cartridge.

Shoutout to Motronic for telling me the name of that thing so I could replace it!

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Motronic posted:

What does this mean?

Surely you aren't saying they have the same cost to repair for what should be the overwhelming portion of their service life, which is "out of warranty", or perhaps a very shortened service life because they cost too muchb to repair.

Sorry that's bad phrasing on my part. When I was buying an extended warranty beyond that which was free at purchase cost the same between technologies. I would imagine there are more expensive ways a heatpump drier can break out of warranty but that cost didn't translate to a higher price of extended warranty.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
I have a dream of a service that can do basic handyman stuff and do some basic cleaning stuff. Like someone who doesnt mind painting a wall, washing dishes and replacing an outlet. Or someone who can help me put away tools and organize my garage for $50-75/hr. I've got several days worth of these little jobs and chores and I don't like doing them.

Does that exist? How can I hire these handy cleaners?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Back when my brother in law lived in a 1 bedroom apartment they hired a Task Rabbit to pack all their stuff into boxes at like $50/hr I think all in it was like $300 for six hours one Saturday afternoon

It's been probably 5 years since I tried out the app but are you looking for something like that? You could sort by skill, etc. Leaky faucets, squeaky door, house cleaning, food delivery etc

Washing dishes seems to be the one thing nobody wants to do, maybe because of liability when a dish finally breaks

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Feb 8, 2024

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

CarForumPoster posted:

I have a dream of a service that can do basic handyman stuff and do some basic cleaning stuff. Like someone who doesnt mind painting a wall, washing dishes and replacing an outlet. Or someone who can help me put away tools and organize my garage for $50-75/hr. I've got several days worth of these little jobs and chores and I don't like doing them.

I guess it depends on the area how well it would work out for you but there’s an app for it

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/handy-com/id604419063

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

CarForumPoster posted:

This company had a franchise in my city, I called them up to get a quote for some drywall work and it was competitive with the other quotes I got. They offered quite a range of services, though I don't know if cleaning was one of them. This might fit the bill if they have a location near you.

Edit: The company is Handyman Connection.

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Feb 8, 2024

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Still haven't finished the sink, although I'm nearly there - I decided to leave it out while the electrician work was done. The broken dishwasher and fridge have both been taking away, and the new appliances are ready to go!

Except neither of them fit, despite having the same measurements as the appliances they are replacing. So now I get to disassemble the cabinets and replace the 2x4s the previous owners were using to hold up the countertop with something a bit thinner so I can put the dishwasher in, and I have to... I don't loving know, shave the walls for the fridge nook back by a 1/12" so it fits in? That part seems less straightforward.

How do I slightly enlarge a fridge sized and shaped wall recession?

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Feb 8, 2024

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

MarcusSA posted:

I guess it depends on the area how well it would work out for you but there’s an app for it

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/handy-com/id604419063

Thanks I’m checking them out

Sirotan posted:

This company had a franchise in my city, I called them up to get a quote for some drywall work and it was competitive with the other quotes I got. They offered quite a range of services, though I don't know if cleaning was one of them. This might fit the bill if they have a location near you.

What company?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

GlyphGryph posted:

How do I slightly enlarge a fridge sized and shaped wall recession?

Bad ideas only:

If it's a non-structural wall, just cut out the wall where the fridge will go, leaving the drywall on the other side intact, giving you a ~1.5" deep pocket + however thick your old drywall was; sand and paint the cavity in the wall you've created, maybe add some trim

If it's a structural wall, the same as above but just get a structural engineer to approve building what's basically a fridge-shaped window in your exterior wall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

CarForumPoster posted:

What company?

My bad, apparently I got distracted and forgot to include the link: https://handymanconnection.com/