Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

twoday posted:

https://twitter.com/dburns84uk/status/1084424261278855168?s=19

"This doesn't explain anything," I shout as I abruptly stop reading a letter that explains everything
He probably read the letter and couldn't figure out how to get everything he wants with no downsides.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

oystertoadfish posted:

was there ever serious discussion of using a higher threshold than a simple majority, like 2/3rds or 60% or something? if they'd gotten their slight majority but not triggered any actual consequences i could imagine it being good for them, from the 'increasing racist turnout in the next election' perspective

not sure they even used proper election media rules, the only people who had serious discussions about brexit were the Vote Leave lot talking about the most effective way to do crimes

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

oystertoadfish posted:

was there ever serious discussion of using a higher threshold than a simple majority, like 2/3rds or 60% or something? if they'd gotten their slight majority but not triggered any actual consequences i could imagine it being good for them, from the 'increasing racist turnout in the next election' perspective

No, because Cameron is an idiot who never considered the possibility that Brexit could win a straight up or down vote.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

oystertoadfish posted:

Compared to what? There was always going to have to be some sort of massive anti-racist propaganda campaign after x years of racist propaganda melted enough brains brexit became a popular idea. 2015 went to the tories, if they hadnt called a vote we'd all be cracking our knuckles ready to get stuck in en masse at the ge next year. Corbyn would be in but would have half the party control problems he does now and twice the time to push the economics. You could even be talking about democratic reform to make government more representational to avoid the usual groups being whipped up into calling for horrible nonsense referendums! I want that timeline back

Surprise Giraffe has issued a correction as of 21:00 on Jan 13, 2019

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

oystertoadfish posted:

no because Cameron is a loving idiot

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

oystertoadfish posted:

I'm pretty sure Farage (or maybe someone else on the leave side) suggested that if the result was close in favour of remain, then there should have been another referendum but my mind is fuzzy

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Compared to what? There was always going to have to be some sort of massive anti-racist propaganda campaign after x years of racist propaganda melted enough brains brexit became that popular. 2015 went to the tories, if they hadnt called a vote we'd all be cracking our knuckles ready to get stuck in en masse at the ge next year. Corbyn would be in but would have half the party control problems he does now and twice the time to push the economics. You could even be talking about democratic reform to make government more representational to avoid the usual groups being whipped up into calling for horrible nonsense referendums! I want that timeline back

if there wasn't a giant national crisis we'd have had chicken coup reruns every single day since 2015 and Momentum wouldn't have been able to "womp womp" clips of david cameron together to make their point, he'd still be PM, and he was far more capable of looking competent against Corbyn than this mess

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Cameron called the referendum as a way to settle Tory party dissent on the EU, having Leave win by a small margin but not count because it was below a supermajority threshold would make his problem worse. The smart thing for him to do would be to not call the referendum.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Fallen Hamprince posted:

Cameron called the referendum as a way to settle Tory party dissent on the EU, having Leave win by a small margin but not count because it was below a supermajority threshold would make his problem worse. The smart thing for him to do would be to not call the referendum.

no

Cameron called the referendum because UKIP was being given large media backing and the not-racist libertarians were always a much bigger threat to the tories than they were to Labour, no matter how much journalists insist on being wrong

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

What part of the May deal do you think should be improved? I mean, I'm just trying to figure out what it is exactly that Britain wants from the transition deal and I'm running out of ways of how to phrase it.

I don't give a poo poo what "Britain wants" because Britain seems to be largely populated by hyperventilating hams dreaming of nuclear war with the French, but the best type of Brexit deal (i.e. least damaging) is one that maintains the current trade and movement arrangement.

May is ideologically incapable of achieving such a deal. She is also politically incapable of achieving it, having pissed away her majority in a snap election and needing to grant concessions to the DUP and extreme No Deal wing of her own party.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

oystertoadfish posted:

lol they did that for Scottish devolution a few decades ago and it didn't go over well

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/ElBartoArmy/status/1084481142995238912

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

I'm pretty sure Farage (or maybe someone else on the leave side) suggested that if the result was close in favour of remain, then there should have been another referendum but my mind is fuzzy

yep, he specifically said 52/48 would be too close to settle the issue

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

i think im finally just beginning to 'get' brexit

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

oystertoadfish posted:

i think im finally just beginning to 'get' brexit

you're a step ahead of the government then

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

the best brexit deal is termed 'norway' because it would be modeled on norway's arangement with the EU, which means access to the single market, freedom of movement and the right to participate (but not vote in) other EU projects, while being exempt from the majority of EU legislation. this is unthinkable to the tories because ending freedom of movement was the main motivation for Leave and because it wouldn't allow for the magical free trade deals leavers have been promising. a norway-type deal is the one most palatable to Labour; Corbyn and the leftier members might have some issues with a carbon copy of Norway's deal (far-left parties in Norway oppose EFTA membership) but they could probably work something out assuming they were open to free movement.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Coohoolin posted:

is one that maintains the current trade and movement arrangement.

May is ideologically incapable of achieving such a deal. She is also politically incapable of achieving it, having pissed away her majority in a snap election and needing to grant concessions to the DUP and extreme No Deal wing of her own party.

So it's not the content of the May deal that you have a problem with but the fact that she can't get it through parliament?

Fallen Hamprince posted:

the best brexit deal is termed 'norway' because it would be modeled on norway's arangement with the EU, which means access to the single market, freedom of movement and the right to participate (but not vote in) other EU projects, while being exempt from the majority of EU legislation. this is unthinkable to the tories because ending freedom of movement was the main motivation for Leave and because it wouldn't allow for the magical free trade deals leavers have been promising. a norway-type deal is see the one most palatable to Labour; Corbyn and the leftier members might have some issues with a carbon copy of Norway's deal (far-left parties in Norway oppose EFTA membership) but they could probably work something out assuming they were open to free movement.

Norway being in the EEA is somewhat of a historical leftover and to get a deal like this today and for such a large country as Britain would be almost impossible without enormous leverage.

The EU has been trying to get away from the piss deal it has with Switzerland for years now. IRC there will be a referendum on a new agreement they have been working on for years that's more favorable to the EU and if it doesn't go through in the referendum, they will get out the nutcracker and start poo poo with the Swiss

red sampson
Oct 7, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
youre kicking puppies and shooting children

im on board

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

So it's not the content of the May deal that you have a problem with but the fact that she can't get it through parliament?

Norway being in the EEA is somewhat of a historical leftover and to get a deal like this today and for such a large country as Britain would be almost impossible without enormous leverage.

The EU has been trying to get away from the piss deal it has with Switzerland for years now. IRC there will be a referendum on a new agreement they have been working on for years that's more favorable to the EU and if it doesn't go through in the referendum, they will get out the nutcracker and start poo poo with the Swiss

The EU is having some serious troubles of its own, what with Italy, France, Germany and the Netherlands all having major exit movements, tensions between Italy and France due to the EU clamping down on Italy's deficit budget but allowing France to get away with one, Poland and Italy talking about a far-right axis within the EU and a potential Euroskeptic left wing axis if the UK elects a Corbyn government and they end up staying.

The fact the EU does not appear to be really taking any of these seriously as existential threats to the union should maybe be a bit concerning if the EU is something you're a fan of.

red sampson
Oct 7, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
i like how all the racists are outing themselves

and you like it.

so you know, enjoy youre 547.2 billion dollar loss, and your credit ratings shot, because youre a buncha racist ashholes

red sampson
Oct 7, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
/r/reddit/trashy/

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
If UKIP wanted an EU refendum it should have had to win a general election and control parliament.

All of these problems are David Cameron's fault, he is your worst PM and this is his brexit.

In a sane world the brexit would never be mentioned without his name nor would his name ever be mentioned without the brexit.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Ika posted:

So the UK awarded a contract to a company without ships, to run a ferry service between two ports neither of which is capable of hosting ships, in order to show the EU that it is serious about no deal?

I remember an interview with the creators of "Yes, Prime Minister" a few years ago stating that the current political reality is much worse than anything that would have been believable satire back when they were making the series, and this just confirms it.

It's continually amazing to me how world leaders are so dumb. Like they are all 1/1/1 at best apparently.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

MikeCrotch posted:

The EU is having some serious troubles of its own, what with Italy, France, Germany and the Netherlands all having major exit movements, tensions between Italy and France due to the EU clamping down on Italy's deficit budget but allowing France to get away with one, Poland and Italy talking about a far-right axis within the EU and a potential Euroskeptic left wing axis if the UK elects a Corbyn government and they end up staying.

The fact the EU does not appear to be really taking any of these seriously as existential threats to the union should maybe be a bit concerning if the EU is something you're a fan of.

I'm getting the impression that you're kind of the foggy brained guy in the thread.

red sampson
Oct 7, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
i cant make fun of a retarded country

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Moridin920 posted:

It's continually amazing to me how world leaders are so dumb. Like they are all 1/1/1 at best apparently.

The secret that the elites and the ultrawealthy don't want you to know is that most of them are as dumb as any rear end in a top hat you see clomping around on the street. You get the occasional outlier like Merkel who has at least a brawler's political instinct, but even then they tend to follow dumb ideas down a rabbit hole.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

red sampson posted:

i cant make fun of a retarded country

Cry, the retarded country

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

hakimashou posted:

If UKIP wanted an EU refendum it should have had to win a general election and control parliament.

All of these problems are David Cameron's fault, he is your worst PM and this is his brexit.

In a sane world the brexit would never be mentioned without his name nor would his name ever be mentioned without the brexit.

The Tory problem with Europe existed long before Cameron stuck his dick in a dead pig's mouth

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

Grape posted:

I'm getting the impression that you're kind of the foggy brained guy in the thread.

I mean i'm just not a particularly big fan of the EU for a bunch of reasons and don't think it can be reformed in the long run.

Actually leaving is not going to solve the UK's immediate problems but neither do I think that remaining must be the number 1 priority above all else, especially if there isn't a plan to deal with austerity which is the reason for the leavers winning the first place

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

twoday posted:

https://twitter.com/dburns84uk/status/1084424261278855168?s=19

"This doesn't explain anything," I shout as I abruptly stop reading a letter that explains everything

also its really lenient and nice. you count as an EU citizen during transition and even after when you're not you can apply to stay with the same rights as if you were in the EU

its much nicer than our hostile environment, its actually pretty friendly lol

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

when we do no deal within 5 years all the papers will be running the narrative that the EU forced us out

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

prime minister jeremy corbyn hosed a dead pig

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

MikeCrotch posted:

I mean i'm just not a particularly big fan of the EU for a bunch of reasons and don't think it can be reformed in the long run.

Actually leaving is not going to solve the UK's immediate problems but neither do I think that remaining must be the number 1 priority above all else, especially if there isn't a plan to deal with austerity which is the reason for the leavers winning the first place

*British car hurtles down embankment toward sea cliff*

Everyone: AGHHHHH, GRAB THE WHEEL, GRAB THE WHEEL

You: Now let's think about this, weren't we trying to get off the road?

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

Grape posted:

*British car hurtles down embankment toward sea cliff*

Everyone: AGHHHHH, GRAB THE WHEEL, GRAB THE WHEEL

You: Now let's think about this, weren't we trying to get off the road?

i agree no-deal brexit would be bad

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

i say swears online posted:

Cry, the retarded country

lol

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Chris Grayling crouched over a sofa, desperately looking for ferries behind the cushions.

I would blow Dane Cook has issued a correction as of 00:30 on Jan 14, 2019

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

MikeCrotch posted:

Again, you're talking about a hard no-deal Brexit, which I agree is extremely bad. But I don't think what you're saying applies to every possible brexit.

yeah uh it pretty much does, there is no brexit that doesn't involve massive economic turmoil and extreme disruptions to nhs. especially the latter, just hmbol if you think britain can somehow come out of leaving the eu without resembling american healthcare

also there's less than 80 days left, is britain realistically going to hammer out some sort of agreement in the next 3 months that usually takes more like 3 years?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
so is that dude who was refusing to answer questions about the ferries going to face any repercussions whatsoever about that

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

hallebarrysoetoro posted:

also there's less than 80 days left, is britain realistically going to hammer out some sort of agreement in the next 3 months that usually takes more like 3 years?

anything that gets agreed before the deadline will be an interim agreement like may's deal; the UK would continue to be in the european trade block for a set period of time while permanent agreements with the EU and other countries are made. the UK could also extend the deadline with the unanimous consent of the european council, per article 50

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

30.5 Days posted:

so is that dude who was refusing to answer questions about the ferries going to face any repercussions whatsoever about that

haha

e: it depends how senior he is, i didnt pay attention to who he was

if hes below the dude who actually did the deal then he might be fired resign as a scapegoat