Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cascadia Pirate
Jan 18, 2011
Car seats are bullshit,but you can order Euro branded car seats in the US that are way smaller and fit in smaller cars. I have a friend who could get two rear facing seats in a fiesta but they had to go through a fancy kids store who specializes in fancy car seats. Way better to drop $300 on a car seat rather than change cars if you like what you drive.

Bank posted:

Someone at work is selling a 2016 Kia Sedona. The car's got 50k on the ODO and seems super clean aside from carseat indentations, which are expected from minivans. They're selling it for 13k OBO; it looks like trade-in goes for 13k on KBB. I kinda need to replace my aging SUV, but never considered Kia before. I suspect I can get this for 12-12.5k which would make it a screaming deal. They've been trying to sell it at work for the past month or so but got no bites as everyone is working from home and doesn't need a car.

Any thoughts? Anything I should look out for? It's been dealer maintained.

Edit: I've got two youngish kids (5 and 7) and mostly use a larger car to cart them places and for weekend trips, sometimes we'll venture someplace farther for a week.

No idea what these things go for but I own a 2018 Sedona and a couple people I know have them too and I haven't heard any complaints. We like ours just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I wanted to like the iM but it was just too small inside, the cargo area is disappointing to say the least, just like the Corolla hatch that came after it.

Interesting, I haven't driven one, but it's the same wheelbase as the xB in a longer OAL. It's less square, so I'm sure it feels less roomy and some of the space is less practical. xB is a decent idea too, I always forget about them as the second generation was kind of unloved.

I'll throw in the Soul and Elantra GT as a potential options for Focus-replacer above.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Cascadia Pirate posted:

No idea what these things go for but I own a 2018 Sedona and a couple people I know have them too and I haven't heard any complaints. We like ours just fine.

I liked the Sedona I drove as a rental. It was A Van. Pleasant. Inoffensive.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Cascadia Pirate posted:

Car seats are bullshit

What's this now?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Interesting, I haven't driven one, but it's the same wheelbase as the xB in a longer OAL. It's less square, so I'm sure it feels less roomy and some of the space is less practical. xB is a decent idea too, I always forget about them as the second generation was kind of unloved.

I maybe could have overlooked the iM being smaller, but the manual transmission was just bad and drove like poo poo, and the automatic is a CVT so that was a hard no.

What I like about the xB is the automatic (which I have) is a four speed which may sound archaic these days, but it shifts perfect (no hunting) and is a very reliable transmission so I'm cool with a bit of a hit in mpg for an actually really good automatic. Paired with the 2.4 4cyl it has really good torque and is perfect for urban sprawl driving.

It's pretty much the family hauler, with the rear seats down we can fit all kinds of poo poo inside of it, and on top of the roof put even more poo poo. I've had it loaded down with bikes and paddle boards at the same time on multiple occasions.

Cascadia Pirate
Jan 18, 2011

Residency Evil posted:

What's this now?

Obviously they are necessary, but they are expensive and the rules around them are constantly changing and do not always appear to be based on as much research as you would expect.

Lots of families I know have replaced cars solely because car seats are so giant. It is not clear to me that they need to be this big to function safely. Also kids have to be in boosters until they are like 14 now which may be necessary, but I haven't seen any real definitive proof on why this is.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

You guys have been amazingly helpful, thank you. The Buick basically won’t fit in our short driveway lol cities, but we’ll definitely add in the Alltrack, Elantra GT, and xB (my dad drove one for a while so I have to work to get over this one) when we go look around. The interior layout is so key at the size we’re looking at, we’re just going to have to haul seats around and shove em in there.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

the focus' packaging was abysmal so maybe!

It’s awful, and unfortunately we got it when we a)didn’t have a lot of options and b)were far enough out from kid-having to naively think ‘hey it’s a 4-door sedan, it should fit car seat(s?) just fine!’.

We even bought a US car seat widely regarded as good for small/narrow spaces and it’s really barely crammed in there, to the point that, while it’s properly installed, we’re pushing the dang limits. It’s ridiculous.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Re carseat chat: show me two 6’0+ human beings with two rear facing car seats with two two year olds in the back of a hatchback.

If you’re short you can drive whatever you want.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

BadSamaritan posted:

You guys have been amazingly helpful, thank you. The Buick basically won’t fit in our short driveway lol cities, but we’ll definitely add in the Alltrack, Elantra GT, and xB (my dad drove one for a while so I have to work to get over this one)

Did your dad have the first gen (03-06) or second gen (07-15) car?

The second gen is a bigger, more refined and more powerful (50 more HP) car than the first gen, there's people than love the first gen and hate the last and vice versa. I like them both but the latest cars are a lot safer and have more room, power and features.

Tbh, I didn't like the styling much at first but it grew on me, the utility and the way it drives is what sold it for me. I would say see if you can find one near you with low miles and take it for a drive.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

Did your dad have the first gen (03-06) or second gen (07-15) car?

First gen I think? I do remember it being a very reliable car for him, at least. Yeah, the styling doesn’t wow me but hey we currently drive an ~ice blue~ focus so that clearly doesn’t mean much. We’ll keep an eye on the listings near us.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Cascadia Pirate posted:

Obviously they are necessary, but they are expensive and the rules around them are constantly changing and do not always appear to be based on as much research as you would expect.

Lots of families I know have replaced cars solely because car seats are so giant. It is not clear to me that they need to be this big to function safely. Also kids have to be in boosters until they are like 14 now which may be necessary, but I haven't seen any real definitive proof on why this is.

Fair enough. Yeah, the research and evidence around changing rules/regulations is likely fairly slim, and presumably primarily funded by car seat manufacturers.

For a second though, I was imagining you throwing your newborn in the back seat and calling it a day.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Aug 19, 2020

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

You could get a sportwagen / alltrack, take it to APR, and drop like two grand on suspension and it would be pretty decent.

I Stage 1+'d my SportWagen with Unitronic and the car is night and day. So much more fun, it's basically a more practical, AWD GTI at this point for far less money down.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Residency Evil posted:

Fair enough. Yeah, the research and evidence around changing rules/regulations is likely fairly slim, and presumably primarily funded by car seat manufacturers.

Freakonomics had an episode on it and it seems like boosters are (were) being compared to being unrestrained, not using a seatbelt. I think their (small sample) test showed a booster and seatbelt was just as fine as a car seat for kids as young as 6.

Not like it's going to stop parents from buying all they can for the perceived safety.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

BadSamaritan posted:

First gen I think? I do remember it being a very reliable car for him, at least.

Scion is made by Toyota in case you didn't know that already, they are very reliable cars.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

The first gen Xb is in my opinion the best city car ever made. When I have a place with a garage I want to buy one that hasn't been hosed with just to keep it in existence.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

BadSamaritan posted:

we’re just going to have to haul seats around and shove em in there.

This is honestly the most important thing you can do!

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Scion is made by Toyota in case you didn't know that already, they are very reliable cars.

Seriously, those first gens don't die. I see xA's and xB's with +180k miles pop up on CL for like $4k pretty regularly
The worst problem that the missus' has had in ~4 years and 40k miles has been rotten battery wires

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Residency Evil posted:

For a second though, I was imagining you throwing your newborn in the back seat and calling it a day.

Back seat? Well la-de-loving-da. Rear hatch area.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Can you mount a baby seat to a tie-down rail? Asking for a friend

Also:

The Door Frame posted:

Any reason not to buy a 2010 Mazda5? They're suspiciously cheap around me, but I don't know if that's because almost no one wanted them when they were new, or because there's some deeper issues that I can't find on Google

I'm assuming that the lack of response means that the 2010 Mazda5's are solid, right?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Uthor posted:

Freakonomics had an episode on it and it seems like boosters are (were) being compared to being unrestrained, not using a seatbelt. I think their (small sample) test showed a booster and seatbelt was just as fine as a car seat for kids as young as 6.

Not like it's going to stop parents from buying all they can for the perceived safety.

To be fair, once kids go front-facing the amount of room needed for a car seat loving plummets. It's the rear-facing seats that are a nightmare.

The booster my now-eight-year-old uses is loving tiny and just serves to lift her up a bit. I still have two of them but honestly the TJ's back seat is so small to begin (and she's so tall) that I think she would be safe without it. Only benefit at that point is making sure the seatbelt goes across the body properly.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

The Door Frame posted:

I'm assuming that the lack of response means that the 2010 Mazda5's are solid, right?

I don’t have anything other than vague memories, but I don’t remember people saying bad things about them last time they came up. They’re probably cheap because it’s kinda weird and I’m guess a lot of the market would rather have either a minivan or a CUV. I like the weirdness of it myself, but maybe doesn’t get it much action on the used market. I do vaguely recall that they may not have had great crash test results? But “not great” rather than “death trap” I think.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

powderific posted:

I don’t have anything other than vague memories, but I don’t remember people saying bad things about them last time they came up. They’re probably cheap because it’s kinda weird and I’m guess a lot of the market would rather have either a minivan or a CUV. I like the weirdness of it myself, but maybe doesn’t get it much action on the used market. I do vaguely recall that they may not have had great crash test results? But “not great” rather than “death trap” I think.

That's significantly better than my 93 Capri, so if crash safety is my worst problem, I'm good

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Right at the tail end of one of the Mazda Rust Eras so if you live in a place where that’s a thing, check carefully. Get a PPI as always.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Right at the tail end of one of the Mazda Rust Eras so if you live in a place where that’s a thing, check carefully. Get a PPI as always.

Am I looking for subframe, body, or both?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

The Door Frame posted:

It's not horrible but it's not great either

http://dashboard-light.com/vehicles/Mazda_Mazda5.html

Looks like you'd need to get a 2012 or newer if you go that route

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
My friends upgraded from Mazda 3 to Mazda 5 when they had twins. They're both 6-ft plus, and were supremely uncomfortable in the little sedan. apparently that solved their fitment problems. It's essentially the same car with a bigger shell.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

The Door Frame posted:

Am I looking for subframe, body, or both?

Both, although I think body / sill rot was the most common.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Regarding child seat chat (sorry if off topic), you can generally just leave the child seat in the car (assuming you have a stroller or something in the trunk), right?

Again, sorry if off topic but my wife and I are trying to get pregnant and I’m too much of a manchild to get rid of my Camaro

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
With a baby, you generally have their child carrier that latches into base kept in the car. You'll want this so you can take a sleeping baby to or from a car without waking them up. Those are what are generally rear facing.

Once they grow up into a toddler seat, you just leave the whole thing in the car unless you are moving it between cars for some reason. Frankly, I'd get one for each car if that's a concern cause it's a bit of a PITA.

Note: this is from observing my sis and her kids, not any personal experience with my own. Getting a baby into the back of my two door GTI one time showed me not to have a two door and a baby for day-to-day driving.

Cascadia Pirate
Jan 18, 2011

Uthor posted:

With a baby, you generally have their child carrier that latches into base kept in the car. You'll want this so you can take a sleeping baby to or from a car without waking them up. Those are what are generally rear facing.

Once they grow up into a toddler seat, you just leave the whole thing in the car unless you are moving it between cars for some reason. Frankly, I'd get one for each car if that's a concern cause it's a bit of a PITA.

Note: this is from observing my sis and her kids, not any personal experience with my own. Getting a baby into the back of my two door GTI one time showed me not to have a two door and a baby for day-to-day driving.

Can confirm. For newborn to six months ish I highly recommend getting the kind that pops in and out and snaps onto a stroller. Great because you can transfer without them waking up. After that it's less of a big deal and all of them stay in the car.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

FilthyImp posted:

Mazda 3 6 Miata?

Go wilder.

Pontiac Solstice GXP

I found several under 20k within 400 miles of me, and one sub 4000 mile garage queen for 35k.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

nm posted:

Back seat? Well la-de-loving-da. Rear hatch area.
The Subaru Brat has rear facing seats built in. Put the dog in the bed with the kids to keep them company.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Rock My Socks! posted:

Regarding child seat chat (sorry if off topic), you can generally just leave the child seat in the car (assuming you have a stroller or something in the trunk), right?

Again, sorry if off topic but my wife and I are trying to get pregnant and I’m too much of a manchild to get rid of my Camaro

Do you plan on driving anywhere with the kid in the Camaro? I hope not, because the first 4 years are going to suck. Watch the following video when he puts the car seat in, now imagine there's 12 to 15 pounds of infant in the carrier. It's not fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lTQxMS7y58

I mean it can be done, but I wouldn't want to do it on a regular basis.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

Hi carthread- on our car seat journey, we checked out a few different models and decided on the VW SportWagen. The Crosstrek was a good option but it mostly came down to the (more fun) ride and finishes. The VW had a crazy amount of cargo space while fitting car seats, although the cabin was a little smaller.

Plus, we got a great deal on the VW so we’re ending up out the door on the top trim for under the car-only budget. Guess that’s the plus of a weirdo discontinued station wagon model.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

BadSamaritan posted:

Hi carthread- on our car seat journey, we checked out a few different models and decided on the VW SportWagen. The Crosstrek was a good option but it mostly came down to the (more fun) ride and finishes. The VW had a crazy amount of cargo space while fitting car seats, although the cabin was a little smaller.

Plus, we got a great deal on the VW so we’re ending up out the door on the top trim for under the car-only budget. Guess that’s the plus of a weirdo discontinued station wagon model.

Congrats! Post some pics. I thought the SEL interior/seats felt a lot better the the other trims when I was looking at them.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Been out of the automotive loop for a while, and am looking to replace my mustang with something a bit more practical. My husband wants something less ostentatious and, well, more practical, but I still want something fun to drive with a stick, which leaves us at a manual wagon/hatchback I’m assuming. Are the options still basically Ford, Subaru, bmw, and vw? We’d be looking used, and in the 25kish range, so what’s the ai consensus on best, fun, yet practical wagon these days? Or other non-wagon options that may fit the bill, with an emphasis on stick being a sticking point.

e: oh I guess Mazda and Audi too? Like I said, been out of the car loop a while, besides the Chicago auto show as a gay placating for my dad

Pontius Pilate fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Aug 25, 2020

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Weirdly I have a sneaking suspicion the Golf R might be the most reliable car in its class these days.
Maybe the CTR, but not going to be 25k yet.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Corolla Hatch

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

Pontius Pilate posted:

Been out of the automotive loop for a while, and am looking to replace my mustang with something a bit more practical. My husband wants something less ostentatious and, well, more practical, but I still want something fun to drive with a stick, which leaves us at a manual wagon/hatchback I’m assuming. Are the options still basically Ford, Subaru, bmw, and vw? We’d be looking used, and in the 25kish range, so what’s the ai consensus on best, fun, yet practical wagon these days? Or other non-wagon options that may fit the bill, with an emphasis on stick being a sticking point.

e: oh I guess Mazda and Audi too? Like I said, been out of the car loop a while, besides the Chicago auto show as a gay placating for my dad

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for...e&numRecords=25

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Throatwarbler posted:

Corolla Hatch

what fun version of the corolla hatch exists?

nobody makes a wagon in stick except VW and it's dead now, but if you really want a fun wagon you could probably buy a SW/Alltrack and drop ~4 grand on it to make it faster and handle better. If you can tolerate chopping about a foot out of the back the Golf R or GTI is a better choice. Mazda3 is good handling but slow. Audi doesn't make hatchbacks in stick unless you find an older A3 and you give up Quattro for essentially a four-ringed GTI. Civic Type R exists, Focus ST, FiST, prior-gen WRX.

Curveball Hyundai Veloster N choice, I guess? They're new so the used market is not well developed but you could squeeze in right around your price range on a new one.