Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Azure_Horizon posted:

It's basically a better-written D&D campaign that has way too many characters and spends more time describing the environment than it does differentiating characters.

I think Malazan is an incredible series which is really really long and has what is ultimately an unsatisfying conclusion, but I can't agree about characters. I think the important people are fleshed out and, considering the scope of the story, having less characters would start to reek of heroic contrivance even more than it already does.

I was loving heartbroken when Onos Toolan died and came back as a T'lan Imass again. Absolutely tragic. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I think Malazan is an incredible series which is really really long and has what is ultimately an unsatisfying conclusion, but I can't agree about characters. I think the important people are fleshed out and, considering the scope of the story, having less characters would start to reek of heroic contrivance even more than it already does.

I was loving heartbroken when Onos Toolan died and came back as a T'lan Imass again. Absolutely tragic. :(

I thought the series was pretty worthwhile for the first few books, but became pretty drat boring after Whiskeyjack died and Karsa Orlong was introduced. Then everything became bloated, convoluted, and ridiculous. And then everyone who ever died showed up again in a future book, because no one ever actually dies in the Malazan series.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

But Karsa was in Deadhouse Gates, you saying you thought the series jumped the shark then? :v:

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
I was heartbroken when (Malazan spoilers) the dogs died at the end, the whole scene was like a fantasy Where the Red Fern Grows, and those guys with them were some of my faves as well

The scene in ADWD that was just posted where Tyrone outs the Griffs was so horribly written its laughable.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

bigmcgaffney posted:

The scene in ADWD that was just posted where Tyrone outs the Griffs was so horribly written its laughable.

All the characters are suddenly murder mystery dinner theater waiters/actors.

Just one more trope GRRM has flipped upside down!

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

bigmcgaffney posted:

I was heartbroken when (Malazan spoilers) the dogs died at the end, the whole scene was like a fantasy Where the Red Fern Grows, and those guys with them were some of my faves as well

Be Quiet.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

bigmcgaffney posted:

Oh gently caress, I forgot all about that :gonk:

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

I read up to the fifth one and thought, hmm, no one's copyedited this or even took more than a brief glance at how awfully overwritten everything is. Looking at a few blogs and interviews, it seems like he writes everything that way (because he went to Iowa or some loving thing, you see), and it goes on and on, and oh who gives a dry, chafing gently caress.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

But Karsa was in Deadhouse Gates, you saying you thought the series jumped the shark then? :v:

Once he got half a loving book to himself, yes, I thought it jumped the shark. And yeah, I read all ten books but kind of glazed over a good 35% of it all. The Bridgeburners were probably the best part of the books.

Saviour's on the mark about the books. They are a huge example of extreme verbosity.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
Most definitely. The last 3 or so books were real bad in that regard, but I still enjoyed the series overall. The latest prequel, Forge of Darkness, was real good though and that's coming from a guy who thought the Tiste Andii were pretty boring.

His interviews come off as super pretentious too, when he talks about writing post modern fantasy and other poo poo.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Contra Calculus posted:

Looking for good GRRMmendations and wow, this kind of creeped up on the market:

Anyone know if it's any good?

A lot of reviews on Goodreads and various fantasy blogs compare it to The Name of the Wind, so: gag, no thank you.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

Joramun posted:

A lot of reviews on Goodreads and various fantasy blogs compare it to The Name of the Wind, so: gag, no thank you.

You're posting in the ASOIAF thread, not exactly the place to critize works with lovely characters or gratuitous sex scenes or anything really.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Even GRRM has standards.

If Rothfuss was a goon, he'd be a helldump legend, far surpassing Two Worlds.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

I feel bad now for ever calling Davos a bore, because I'm currently rereading ADWD for the first time since release and his third POV chapter (chapter 19 of the book, covering the Freys' own account of the Red Wedding and Davos calling them on their bullshit) is just awesome. All around it's the best and most pertinent chapter in the book so far. Character rehabilitated, as far as I'm concerned.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

SaviourX posted:

I read up to the fifth one and thought, hmm, no one's copyedited this or even took more than a brief glance at how awfully overwritten everything is. Looking at a few blogs and interviews, it seems like he writes everything that way (because he went to Iowa or some loving thing, you see), and it goes on and on, and oh who gives a dry, chafing gently caress.

The funny thing about Malazan in retrospect is how belaboured I felt picking up the first Ian C Esselmont book, because "oh, pish posh, it's a sidestory, whatever" but they're actually not too shabby. Because he's doing these little stories off on their own in the same world, things happening contemporaneously with the main series, they're a lot better paced and generally have actual resolutions. They're not as overwritten, either, though they still are pretty longwinded. Iron Bars is a badass, and ICE doesn't let you forget it.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

rejutka posted:

So, a ringing endorsement then. And it's finished. And the author doesn't creep on women.

If only we could say the same of T.B Thread

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

I hope there is a chapter set in Mantarys in one of the next books, the hints the Gurm drops as to its sinister, otherworldly nature are quite tantalizing.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Lycaeon posted:

That was as much due to Tyrion's cajoling and Jon's advice (Not to mention his efforts in carving out a foothold in Westeros while Aegon just...sat around being boring) as Aegon's supposed 'leadership'. As far as I see his position and army are enabled entirely by his ancestry and a grizzled war veteran who's doing all the legwork. At least Dany's successes and failures have all arisen from her own efforts, with her decision to remain in Essos founded on the need to protect the slaves she freed and not casually abandon them in the rush for Westeros.

He's a likeable character, but hasn't proven himself as a worthy contender for the throne.

Also it gives her time for her Dragons to grow the gently caress up so they torch some dudes. :black101:

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

bigmcgaffney posted:

Most definitely. The last 3 or so books were real bad in that regard, but I still enjoyed the series overall. The latest prequel, Forge of Darkness, was real good though and that's coming from a guy who thought the Tiste Andii were pretty boring.

His interviews come off as super pretentious too, when he talks about writing post modern fantasy and other poo poo.

There's no amount of eyerolling that could ever suffice for "postmodern fantasy." Most pretentious thing I've ever heard a fantasy author say.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Azure_Horizon posted:

There's no amount of eyerolling that could ever suffice for "postmodern fantasy." Most pretentious thing I've ever heard a fantasy author say.

Have you ever encountered Terry Goodkind talking about how he doesn't write fantasy, he writes Philosophy? You poor sweet summer child.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k

El Hefe posted:

You're posting in the ASOIAF thread, not exactly the place to critize works with lovely characters or gratuitous sex scenes or anything really.

How dare you criticize Lommy Greenhands and call him a lovely character.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
All right, which one of you fuckers posted this craigslist ad?

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Plus even the latest book has introduced such beloved characters as Reznak mo Reznak and Garrus Drinkwater.

v I'm glad the show abandoned such a useless character, it almost (not even close) makes up for cutting Belwas.

Urdnot Fire fucked around with this message at 22:10 on May 24, 2013

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Helloooo my name is Edric Storm I showed up, someone saved me, and then I took a group of other poo poo characters away to the other continent to never be seen again.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Just one more trope GRRM has flipped upside down!

Natch. How else is he going to toss the trope's salad? Just when you think he's peaked with fat pink mast, he gives readers the Myrish swamp. Before fans can fully process that wonder, he blindsides us with Reek's devil's tricycle.

I expect the bar will be set even higher in TWOW.

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

Does anyone have those charts of grrm words/phrases increasing per book?

e. not the one in the op it was like leal and much and more and all that poo poo.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

Urdnot Fire posted:

Plus even the latest book has introduced such beloved characters as Reznak mo Reznak and Garrus Drinkwater.

v I'm glad the show abandoned such a useless character, it almost (not even close) makes up for cutting Belwas.

Garrus Drinkwater, should have been the one to try and capture the dragons, not Quentyn. As a turian he's pretty much a dragon himself.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

Shepard, I say we go crack some Meereenese skulls, get some answers:

/---------------------|----------------------------\
Let's Do This________Fuck off, Turian________Tell me more about yourself

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
"Lord Commander Snow, you have a message waiting for you at your private terminal."

There are two; one is a raven from a deposed prince of the Summer Isles, Jalabhar Xho, asking for fifty thousand gold crowns to help take back his throne, which will then be paid back hundredfold, the other is from someone name Ramsay Snow, presumably a long lost relation. He immediately summons his top advisors.

Ten minutes later...

I should have gone on more loyalty missions, Jon thinks to himself as the daggers thrust deep into his husk.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

You have a semi-racist caricature of Orientalist jerk-off society.

Do you rule over them and try to change their barbarian ways?

Go to page 45

Take what you need and actually move the overall story?

Go to page 23

Do you waste your time and the reader's in a increasingly gag-inducing series of poorly choreographed "sex" scenes?

Go to page 1

Page 1

Read this over and over, until it turns into dust. Author goes to watch a football game and sweat puffs of nacho cheese. Next gen fantasy

EDIT: Look at what I found! http://youchosewrong.tumblr.com/

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
Haha the bioform mask, reminds me of idiot kids who couldn't assemble a three piece monkey statue in Legends of The Hidden Temple, the greatest show of nickolodeons golden era

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Oh the nostalgia, it is flowing

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

And then you tear out the Lone Wolf's character sheet from the back of the book and scratch out what the other kids wrote in it and then make up your own story and don't take it back to the library, because now You are a true wolf! and no one else really hangs out with you for another year or two until you see some kids with weird dice talking about rpgs and not like the video game ones and oh my god it's D&D what is this, and then you're playing Rifts for some godamn reason.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Shageletic posted:

You have a semi-racist caricature of Orientalist jerk-off society.

Do you rule over them and try to change their barbarian ways?

Go to page 45

Take what you need and actually move the overall story?

Go to page 23

Do you waste your time and the reader's in a increasingly gag-inducing series of poorly choreographed "sex" scenes?

Go to page 1

Page 1

Read this over and over, until it turns into dust. Author goes to watch a football game and sweat puffs of nacho cheese. Next gen fantasy

EDIT: Look at what I found! http://youchosewrong.tumblr.com/

Page 45

It's too hard and boring to accomplish. Waste your time and the reader's in an increasingly gag-inducing series of poorly choreographed "sex" scenes.

Go to page 1

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

Shageletic posted:

Oh the nostalgia, it is flowing

"Let it flow, let yourself go / slow and low, that is the tempo" - the Beastie Boys

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Page 2

Sunset finds you squatting in the grass, groaning. Every stool is looser than the one before, and smells fouler. By the time the moon comes up you are making GBS threads brown water. The more you drink, the more you poo poo, but the more you poo poo, the thirstier you grow, and your thirst sends you crawling to the stream to suck up more water.

Go to page 1

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I'm very happy about where this thread has gone.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
Irrelevant to the current derail, but looking at this again made me smile:

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Urdnot Fire posted:

On the other hand, it had the Shavepate, and everyone loves the Shavepate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

Pattonesque posted:

On the other hand, it had the Shavepate, and everyone loves the Shavepate.

I always pictured* him as Steve from the Jerry Springer show.

*I never pictured this. I could not get past Dany's decision-making process modeled on an alcoholic with the DTs and also has cerebral palsy and is stupid. Seriously, did she get a secret targbotomy off the pages or something because you really have to work at being that loving stupid when it comes to basic decision making, like Cersei eating sticky princes stupid but with different creep and what the poo poo is this poo poo?