Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

bull3964 posted:

Speaking of Samsung and explosions...

http://money.cnn.com/2016/09/28/news/samsung-cpsc-washing-machine-explosion-reports/

What is going ON over there.

Good luck if you bought a Samsung fridge. They typically fail a day out of warranty, and repair men won't touch them because it's impossible to get parts, and Samsung customer service is only there to answer the phone after a long wait on hold to tell you to you're screwed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO

nerdrum posted:

Yeah, I think this thread especially treats any rom user as a 15 year old script kiddie using a live wallpaper of the matrix green text and has a hax the gibson button or some poo poo. I can safely say people like Cleanrom, Kang and even Cyanogenmod do a better job at updates, stability, user friendliness and overall polish than any of the horrible poo poo put on an LG, Xiaomi, huawei, or basically any single other android vendor that isn't HTC/Google.

Also, wasn't some Chinese OEM just caught installing backdoors in every single consumer device they sell? I think it was Xiaomi.

Yeah, it was Xiaomi. It's a Chinese phone, it would be stupid to assume that the default ROM wouldn't have built-in backdoors. As far as know no westerner was affected, but until I got mine flashed I made sure to install safe keyboards and password managers.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

bull3964 posted:

Speaking of Samsung and explosions...

http://money.cnn.com/2016/09/28/news/samsung-cpsc-washing-machine-explosion-reports/

What is going ON over there.

Hooray, I just bought a Samsung washing machine.

Not that type though, we use front loaders in the UK.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I went from an M8 to an HTC Ten. It's... OK. I'd have been happier if they'd left the design exactly the same, including the screen, and just given me the latest CPU. The screen is nice, the thumbprint reader works well enough, but I miss the stereo speakers and having the headphone hack on the bottom. I can't really say if the camera is any better since I hardly ever use it.

Do they still come with that awesome protective cover that the m8 did?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

I'd like to know XDA's source for that because it's not what the reporting said.

quote:

http://www.bloombergquint.com/china/2016/09/27/samsung-customer-in-china-reports-battery-fire-in-new-note-7

The 25-year-old customer, Hui Renjie, said his Note 7 exploded Monday morning, less than 24 hours after he got it delivered from e-commerce website JD.com Inc. He said the incident caused minor injuries to two of his fingers and burned his Apple Inc. MacBook. A Samsung representative visited him soon afterward and asked to take away the phone, he said, but he declined the offer because he doesn’t trust the company to reveal the reason for the fire, and plans to publicize the issue.
“We are currently contacting the customer and will conduct a thorough examination of the device in question once we receive it,” the Korean company said in an e-mailed statement.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rusty! posted:

Hooray, I just bought a Samsung washing machine.

Not that type though, we use front loaders in the UK.

lmao If you buy Samsung anything at this point.

They need to get out of the consumer market completely.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Endless Mike posted:

I thought their TVs were still good.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Endless Mike posted:

Nothing quite like a Samsung Cargo Ship. *pounds the wall with fist to show how strong it is* ship catches on fire.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I thought their TVs were still good.

Sure if you want Tizen.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

nimper posted:

I'd like to know XDA's source for that because it's not what the reporting said.

Not that I like seeming like I'm defending Samsung but "e-commerce website JD.com" sounds like the kind of place you'd get knockoff tacky poo poo like ugg boots made of felt and vuitton monogram bags made of vinyl.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

FogHelmut posted:

Good luck if you bought a Samsung fridge. They typically fail a day out of warranty, and repair men won't touch them because it's impossible to get parts, and Samsung customer service is only there to answer the phone after a long wait on hold to tell you to you're screwed.

I've had great experiences with their refrigerators but their dishwashers get horrible, horrible ratings for a reason! :argh:

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

Sure if you want Tizen.

Who gives a poo poo what OS your TV runs? Like who has ever said "gee this TV is beautiful and the price is fantastic, but we can't buy this Hun. It runs TIZEN *SNORTS*"

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I knew this Samsung flamethrower was a mistake...

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lots of people, actually. Go read the TV thread and see how often people come in I DON'T WANT SMART TV THEY'RE SLOW AND BAD.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Some Samsung TVs are decent, many are overpriced.

The main problem with Samsung TVs is really the same as their phones. They throw every feature at the wall to see what sticks but gently caress up basic things like sourcing a consistent type of LCD panel within the same model. Seriously, some of their models use both IPS and VA panels which have very different display characteristics. You have to take every Samsung TV review with a gigantic grain of salt because the TV you buy may be nothing like the reviewer's even if it's the same model.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
I have a Samsung 4k smart tv. It was very cheap considering its feature set and the picture quality is outstanding. I wish it ran Android instead of Tizen though.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Yeah I've got a samsung 4k tv, I dont use any of the smart stuff though and would agree that side of it is poo poo. I probably haven't looked at it's OS more than twice in the last 6 months

Great picture though

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
What's the best USB-C to USB-A cable around now? I know that Google Engineer was testing them, but I want to know which one to buy.

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004

Jerk McJerkface posted:

What's the best USB-C to USB-A cable around now? I know that Google Engineer was testing them, but I want to know which one to buy.

This one worked well for me.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Endless Mike posted:

Lots of people, actually. Go read the TV thread and see how often people come in I DON'T WANT SMART TV THEY'RE SLOW AND BAD.

If you want a grown-up size TV, it's going to have a Smart UI. No one's saying you have to use it.

Shocker, I know.

My plasma :awesomelon: is still very needs suiting. Never need the Smart features because my PS4 already does that.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Nuclear War posted:

Do they still come with that awesome protective cover that the m8 did?

Mine (from Verizon) did not come with a cover.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Mister Macys posted:

If you want a grown-up size TV, it's going to have a Smart UI. No one's saying you have to use it.

Shocker, I know.

Nah, I have a big good LG 1080p dumb TV (I don't need or want 4k) and it's great, they're around and relatively common here still. It was pretty cheap and all I use on it is my Chromecast. I wouldn't even have the bandwidth to stream 4k either.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Anker, or the official ones from the Google Store. I have one of each and they both work well (and are Benson Leung approved).

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I bought an Anker one but you can probably just look at Amazon for what looks good to you and scroll down to Benson's review which will inevitably be there.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Alan_Shore posted:

Who gives a poo poo what OS your TV runs? Like who has ever said "gee this TV is beautiful and the price is fantastic, but we can't buy this Hun. It runs TIZEN *SNORTS*"
Maybe people care because Samsung has already been caught injecting advertising into their smart tvs?

http://bgr.com/2015/02/11/samsung-smart-tv-ads/

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Syrinxx posted:

Maybe people care because Samsung has already been caught injecting advertising into their smart tvs?

http://bgr.com/2015/02/11/samsung-smart-tv-ads/

They must be the first company in history to show...*shudder* ads

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

They must be the first company in history to show...*shudder* ads

Ahahahaha how can you defend this

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

RZA Encryption posted:

He's not defending it. He's suggesting it's the reality of any manufacturer and it's silly to single out Samsung for it.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

RZA Encryption posted:

I'm not defending it? Why is this thread so disingenuous so regularly.

e: what the guy/girl above said

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

FAUXTON posted:

Not that I like seeming like I'm defending Samsung but "e-commerce website JD.com" sounds like the kind of place you'd get knockoff tacky poo poo like ugg boots made of felt and vuitton monogram bags made of vinyl.

It's not. It's currently the best and most reputable site to buy tech from in China.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

mango sentinel posted:

He's not defending it. He's suggesting it's the reality of any manufacturer and it's silly to single out Samsung for it.

It's not silly to single out any company that shows you ads while you adjust the volume.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I was going to ask for other four figure devices that display ads to their purchasers, but I realized this is the Android thread where people pay for the privilege of being Google's product, so it's not a surprise the practice is being defended.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Endless Mike posted:

I was going to ask for other four figure devices that display ads to their purchasers, but I realized this is the Android thread where people pay for the privilege of being Google's product, so it's not a surprise the practice is being defended.

I wanna frame this post

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

RZA Encryption posted:

It's not silly to single out any company that shows you ads while you adjust the volume.

Okay that's egregious

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I got my replacement 5x. It came with a very short USB-A to USB-C cable.

Is there a good case for these now? I originally bought the Diztronic but it had stained the back of my phone blue.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Nuclear War posted:

I had a HTC one (m8) and absolutely loved it, and would be using it now if it hadn't been stolen.

I came from a regular m8 to the nexus 5x, it seems comparable, benchmarks show it maybe 10% slower, but it runs great with android N.

The htc one m8 was just shy of $700 when I got it and a year later I got similar hardware (the 5x) for $220 (it can be had now for $180)

Or wait for the new pixels made by htc.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

FogHelmut posted:

I got my replacement 5x. It came with a very short USB-A to USB-C cable.

Is there a good case for these now? I originally bought the Diztronic but it had stained the back of my phone blue.

If you have a white 5X, I think any case can stain it. The white backs just don't seem to hold up well.

With that said, I have the Pleson clear case and the official 5x case that Adopted makes. Both are really nice though I think the official case looks nicer, but it's also a little bit more bulky.

Fabio Lanzoni
Nov 9, 2006
When I listen to a solo, I think of a duo

Luchadork posted:

If you have a white 5X, I think any case can stain it. The white backs just don't seem to hold up well.

I think only the blue diztronic cases were staining the backs. I've been using the dark gray one on a white 5X and it's been fine.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

RZA Encryption posted:

Is this a real thing? :eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
My Galaxy S6 has started randomly spamming the capacitive back button. At its worst, it's impossible to do anything on my phone. Googling tells me this is a hardware problem of some sort. Should I ditch it and look for something better or get a repair/replacement? I should be under warranty still but who knows.

E:lol the timing on this post

The Deleter fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Sep 29, 2016