Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?

Einwand posted:

The hornet ring gives a special riposte animation for every weapon, and another victim has been punched. Aren't 2handed heavy attacks unparryable? Or am I just imagining bad information.
This streak has been going for 20 minutes, I'm tempted to just altF4 out so I can go sleep already.

You're imagining it, they can be parried. Some weapons have fancy L2 skills that can't be parried, but generally when you're making a physical attack, you're never safe from a perfectly timed counter, no matter how heavy your axe is. If you don't believe me, gird your loins and go visit Havel or those Archdragon faux phantoms, they follow all the player rules. Katana & Bigsword 'stance' attacks can also be parried.

When you are doing heavy attacks, you can hold R2 down to wind up and delay your swing, and bait out a parry/roll sometimes.

GulagDolls posted:

its jump attacks that cannot be parried

then I have done the impossible

StringOfLetters fucked around with this message at 21:46 on May 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

So we've decided on a 60/70 range, with a +6 (so +3 for boss soul) maximum weapon right? Anyone have any objections?

Passwords work on red phantoms, right? And if you're higher it'll just bring you down to our level?

Any suggestions for an arena? Smouldering Lake could be fun, out in the open or in the Horace Pit. Maybe even start the night on the bridge until someone fucks up and breaks it. The water pit or the area right before the boss room in the Cathedral could also be a nice area.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

its jump attacks that cannot be parried

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Babe Magnet posted:

siiiiiiiick

I might try to organize something over the next few days, then. Until then, post suggestions for level ranges/item upgrade ranges and fite locations

im not sure if you can summon in this location but at the back of the cave where horace is in smouldering lake would be a good fight arena thats not pontiff

alternatively, clear out the giant crabs and use that area since its not deep water

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah I'm trying not to use the pontiff area just because it's so overused but if the contestants want it we can go there.

If I'm going to be hosting I can easily clear out any area before-hand and get everything set up.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
how about the bridge in the catacombs :getin:

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Do fight clubs need to take place in an area where the host hasn't beaten the boss in order to summon the max 5 dark spirits?

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Babe Magnet posted:

Yeah I'm trying not to use the pontiff area just because it's so overused but if the contestants want it we can go there.

If I'm going to be hosting I can easily clear out any area before-hand and get everything set up.

yo

anor londo hallway before aldritch

Xenolalia
Feb 17, 2016

Babe Magnet posted:

So we've decided on a 60/70 range, with a +6 (so +3 for boss soul) maximum weapon right? Anyone have any objections?

Passwords work on red phantoms, right? And if you're higher it'll just bring you down to our level?

Any suggestions for an arena? Smouldering Lake could be fun, out in the open or in the Horace Pit. Maybe even start the night on the bridge until someone fucks up and breaks it. The water pit or the area right before the boss room in the Cathedral could also be a nice area.

We could clear out the tip of Dragon peak just past the great belfry bonfire. Bonus points for having the hurricane going on in the background.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

8-Bit Scholar posted:

So what's the deal with the tall, spindly ghost knights you see in Irythyl? I don't recall what lore explains why there are weird ghosts

They're some sort of after-images of the Outriders, Dancer and Vordt. Vaguely like the Pope's, I guess.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Babe Magnet posted:

This might not work depending on where you are in the game but the very first bonfire in Highwall of Lothric makes a decent arena. You've got a wooden overhang for the peanut gallery and an upstairs area that can serve either as a second arena for two fights at once, or for the peanut gallery to stage fisticuffs in.

e:

net cafe scandal posted:

Do fight clubs need to take place in an area where the host hasn't beaten the boss in order to summon the max 5 dark spirits?

Yes. You're restricted to just two spirits otherwise.
This is the number one thing they should patch as far as I'm concerned. It makes no sense from any perspective.

Domattee fucked around with this message at 21:50 on May 3, 2016

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Cyberventurer posted:

I guess it's a little late to decide on builds now. :v:

Considering how backloaded the game is on absolutely anything interesting, fun or cool (be it spells, armor, weapons or items), completing the game first and then deciding on a build (for NG+) honestly seems like the intended way.

Which sucks because I'm the kind of person who makes like 3 new characters a week and having to play through NG every time before starting a gimmick run gets old quick. It feels too early to start using CE (would suck to be banned before the DLC releases) but it's putting a damper on my fun.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Good ideas for arenas, guys, but try not to suggest anything too far along in the game, since we've all got to truck over there and I may need to make a new character for this.

Domattee posted:

This might not work depending on where you are in the game but the very first bonfire in Highwall of Lothric makes a decent arena. You've got a wooden overhang for the peanut gallery and an upstairs area that can serve either as a second arena for two fights at once, or for the peanut gallery to stage fisticuffs in.

I like this. Doing the dancer glitch with the sword master, you can get a new character to soul level 50 easily I'm sure, and that leaves Vordt up still so I can get a phantom train rolling. I'll test it later.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

I'd suggest the stray demon bridge but I imagine that area would be in endless invasion territory. Bloody wolves.

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything

Babe Magnet posted:

I might organize Goon Fight Club sometime soon, we all have to decide on a soul level and item upgrade level for it

+10 fist fight level 120

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Oh hey guys, what about the little town area in Undead Settlement before the Greatarrow Gauntlet? Where the evangelist shoots bugs at you as you fight through the buildings. It's got a nice semi-open area, it's next to a bonfire, and there's an overhead area (where the evangelist usually is) for an audience.

there's actually a lot of good spots in undead settlement:

-The area with the lynching post, where you rescue the pyromancer

-The bridge next to the rat sewer that leads to the elevator tower

-The road next to the staircase that the patrol follows before the aforementioned bridge

-The pit area at the bottom below the aforementioned bridge

-The huge bonfire where you fight at big smouldering demon with squidward (also has an overhead audience room)

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 22:03 on May 3, 2016

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Einwand posted:

I'd suggest the stray demon bridge but I imagine that area would be in endless invasion territory. Bloody wolves.

50-60 would be out of range for the common invasions in that area and the wolfs can't invade there anyway. Only the small crab swamp actually triggers them.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

all fights will be conducted on that cramped rear end little rock bridge before wolnir's chamber

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

JetsGuy posted:

So I'm still trying to figure out whether I should be trying to use a proper weapon for my Sorcerer runthrough or whether I should just be spending muh upgrades on the basic staff and using it as my melee weapon since it scales so well with INT.

Any suggestions sorcerers?

If you are interested in a different playstyle from melee, spend on staff. You can equip a nonupgraded bandit knife which comes in handy for a few things, most notably Farron Keep, but your staff should be sufficient outside of some long hauls in the first couple levels. 24ATT will give you 4 attunement slots and all the magic you could ever want. After you get to Undead Settlement, skip all that poo poo and go to Road of Sacrifices/Farron Keep to collect sorcery scrolls and sorcery trainer (Farron Flashsword/Great Heavy Soul Arrow/Great Soul Arrow being your most important starter spells from him) and dusk crown and sage ring. Then go back and destroy fire demon/tree/etc in the Settlement. Until you get 24ATT if you want another spell slot you can get the saint ring from the miracle trainer.

Don't try and fight Crystal Sage with the dusk crown on.

If you are interested in melee+ just equip great/great heavy soul arrow and magic weapon and equip whatever melee thing you want.

e: Don't try to co-op with pure sorcery early on anywhere besides directly outside the boss door, due to the estus split and then those numbers getting halved when you phantom.

turtlecrunch fucked around with this message at 22:06 on May 3, 2016

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010
I like dark souls and I like doing dark souls coop stuff and being a sun bro, but I don't like getting invaded and I don't like invading people, so I usually don't ember unless I'm at a boss door and need help :)

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

How much does NG+ and NG++ pad out the enemy/boss health? I lost my backup of my pre-ng+ save and I don't feel like exploring EVERYTHING on ng again but I'm worried when the dlc drops enemies would be awful hp sponges like they were in ng+ dark souls 2

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Babe Magnet posted:

Good ideas for arenas, guys, but try not to suggest anything too far along in the game, since we've all got to truck over there and I may need to make a new character for this.

I like this. Doing the dancer glitch with the sword master, you can get a new character to soul level 50 easily I'm sure, and that leaves Vordt up still so I can get a phantom train rolling. I'll test it later.
The Dancer glitch being the one where you summon Hanzo Steel boy or is there another one? I kinda want to do that before they patch it out.

You guys are all on PC so I can't fc with you :(

e: gently caress I reed gud

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Babe Magnet posted:

Oh hey guys, what about the little town area in Undead Settlement before the Greatarrow Gauntlet? Where the evangelist shoots bugs at you as you fight through the buildings. It's got a nice semi-open area, it's next to a bonfire, and there's an overhead area (where the evangelist usually is) for an audience.

there's actually a lot of good spots in undead settlement:

-The area with the lynching post, where you rescue the pyromancer

-The bridge next to the rat sewer that leads to the elevator tower

-The road next to the staircase that the patrol follows before the aforementioned bridge

-The pit area at the bottom below the aforementioned bridge

-The huge bonfire where you fight at big smouldering demon with squidward (also has an overhead audience room)

The area with the very first evangelist where you find Lorettas bone could work too. And the Greatwood is optional, at least as long as you can do without boss weapons.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm running around on Archdragon Peak, is there anything to actually doing the whole "Path of the Dragon" thing or should I just ring the bell?

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
I'll never understand invaders who just watch. Invaded a guy with a phantom, second invader comes and just sits and watches me try to kill the host for 5 minutes. What the gently caress are you doing! Attack that phantom!

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Domattee posted:

e:

Yes. You're restricted to just two spirits otherwise.
This is the number one thing they should patch as far as I'm concerned. It makes no sense from any perspective.

if y'all are on PS4 (which I'm assuming not) I'd be interested assuming y'all also use an early zone because I'm a big idiot and made a NG+ immediately after beating the game with my first character.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Is there any mechanical problem with murdering Patches and giving his ashes to the Shrine Maiden so I don't have to run upstairs to buy stuff from him?

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Oh godddddd I thought aldrich ate gods in the past tense but I just realized I JUST realized he's sucking on one right loving now in the present tense. Aldrich is the goop all over the walls and floors and I recognize that torso being worked like a goddamn sock puppet. OH GODDDDDDDDDD this makes the maiden in the tower's wondering about her brother so fuckin' tragic. I can't even believe this poo poo.

muscles like this? posted:

I'm running around on Archdragon Peak, is there anything to actually doing the whole "Path of the Dragon" thing or should I just ring the bell?
Ignore those developer notes. They are straight up lying to you. There is no dragon covenant. There's no purpose to this zone but the boss. Ring the bell.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

muscles like this? posted:

There's no-

Krinkle posted:

Ignore those developer notes. They are straight up lying to you. There is no dragon covenant. There's no purpose to this zone but the boss. Ring the bell.

Yeah.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Oh yeah we're all talking PC, sorry PS4 dudes, though I'm sure once we settle on a system we like to use a PS4 goon would be willing to host some fights, and you can stream and record from the PS4 too I assume

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Krinkle posted:

There's those twinkling dragon stone items, unless you can get those after ringing the bell.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

turtlecrunch posted:

If you are interested in a different playstyle from melee, spend on staff. You can equip a nonupgraded bandit knife which comes in handy for a few things, most notably Farron Keep, but your staff should be sufficient outside of some long hauls in the first couple levels. 24ATT will give you 4 attunement slots and all the magic you could ever want. After you get to Undead Settlement, skip all that poo poo and go to Road of Sacrifices/Farron Keep to collect sorcery scrolls and sorcery trainer (Farron Flashsword/Great Heavy Soul Arrow/Great Soul Arrow being your most important starter spells from him) and dusk crown and sage ring. Then go back and destroy fire demon/tree/etc in the Settlement. Until you get 24ATT if you want another spell slot you can get the saint ring from the miracle trainer.

Don't try and fight Crystal Sage with the dusk crown on.

If you are interested in melee+ just equip great/great heavy soul arrow and magic weapon and equip whatever melee thing you want.

e: Don't try to co-op with pure sorcery early on anywhere besides directly outside the boss door, due to the estus split and then those numbers getting halved when you phantom.

Good advice, and well timed since I just started down that area with the smug sorcerer and was going to try to gently caress up the Crystal Sage tonight. I'll instead go into Farron Keep to get my scrolls. I beat the tree, but basically by the grace of god (see: sunbros) because it was hell trying to hit those loving spores with spells. I ended up just using the dagger.

I'm almost at 24 ATT already too, which is good news. I'm assuming I should be just dumping points into INT as well?

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Babe Magnet posted:

Oh yeah we're all talking PC, sorry PS4 dudes, though I'm sure once we settle on a system we like to use a PS4 goon would be willing to host some fights, and you can stream and record from the PS4 too I assume
I'd be happy to host, tho I'm total poo poo at PvP (but fiteclobber makes you better, right? :v: ). Would need to roll a new character but idgaf about that. And yes, PS4 can stream and record though recording only works in 15 minute chunks.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Internet Kraken posted:

Is there any mechanical problem with murdering Patches and giving his ashes to the Shrine Maiden so I don't have to run upstairs to buy stuff from him?

Only if you don't care about Greirat.

If for whatever reason Onion Bro's quest already put him in jail (ie you've been the the jail), you need to get Patches to save Greirat from Irythyl spiders. There's supposedly a special dialogue option to get him to keep the guy safe but the game cheated me out of it.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

You wouldn't even have to stream and record if nobody cares, I'm just going to be doing it when I host is all.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Krinkle posted:

That note is referring to the twinkling dragon stone you can get, ya dummy.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

JetsGuy posted:

Good advice, and well timed since I just started down that area with the smug sorcerer and was going to try to gently caress up the Crystal Sage tonight. I'll instead go into Farron Keep to get my scrolls. I beat the tree, but basically by the grace of god (see: sunbros) because it was hell trying to hit those loving spores with spells. I ended up just using the dagger.

I'm almost at 24 ATT already too, which is good news. I'm assuming I should be just dumping points into INT as well?

Yes, INT to 60 minimum. You may find yourself at some point where you have enough MP to cast spells but you can't cast them, which means check your stamina bar and possibly consider leveling stamina. You may hit this barrier around pontiff.

You can pop the tree with a mixture of flashsword (don't recommend greatsword for most things because it's too slow and the arc seems more horizontal) and great heavy soul arrow but all the same.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

SubponticatePoster posted:

I'd be happy to host, tho I'm total poo poo at PvP (but fiteclobber makes you better, right? :v: ). Would need to roll a new character but idgaf about that. And yes, PS4 can stream and record though recording only works in 15 minute chunks.

Well, ideally, it would be hosted by someone who hasn't even defeated the Vordt yet (if we choose Lothric High Wall anyway) so a NG+ host would I guess be ideal if he wants to fight. We'd probably have a much higher level cap than 60-70 though.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

turtlecrunch posted:

Yes, INT to 60 minimum. You may find yourself at some point where you have enough MP to cast spells but you can't cast them, which means check your stamina bar and possibly consider leveling stamina. You may hit this barrier around pontiff.

You can pop the tree with a mixture of flashsword (don't recommend greatsword for most things because it's too slow and the arc seems more horizontal) and great heavy soul arrow but all the same.

Cool thanks! I just wanna do something completely different from how I played the knight. :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

yeah I think if we went with High Wall, the host would need to do the dancer (preferably with the swordsman glitch) with the covetous silver serpent ring to beast out as many soul levels as possible and we'll use whatever the highest we can get out of that