Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Ainsley McTree posted:

[re: Mafia 3]
There are only two "steal the weed boat" optional missions. The game will keep the objective in your menu and happily let you drive out to the bayou to try and complete it, but there won't be a boat there, no matter how many times you reload.

UPDATE: I was wrong about this. Basically, these 'steal the X and deliver it to a racket to increase its earn' optional missions will be available as long as you have a racket available that hasn't maxed out its earn yet. I was confused because the game seemed to indicate that I had a mission available despite having all of that particular assets' rackets earns maxed out, and yet when I went to the spot, there was nothing to steal.

So yeah, if you have available earn to increase for a particular asset, their right hand associate will have a "steal a boat/truck and bring it to a racket" mission ready for you to bring that number up. If everything's maxed, don't bother with these missions, no matter what the game tries to tell you, it's tricking you.

On a related note, since it appears that you can max out your rackets in this manner with just one optional mission per racket, there's no particular reason to recruit informants or bosses, since that extra earn money is superfluous. Might as well just kill them and take the instant cash, unless there are rackets later on that are harder to max out the earn for them. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

Monk E posted:

As someone who never played the original is there anything to know before starting Lunar Legend?

It's been a decade now but all I remember is that there's an accessory you can buy that gives characters two extra attacks. Otherwise they get like, 1 at the start and 2 at higher levels.

Google says it's the Wind Ring in Vane. Get that, put it on your physical attackers.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Monk E posted:

As someone who never played the original is there anything to know before starting Lunar Legend?

Its a weird not a remake of a weird not a remake. Its probably the best version of the Lunar story, even if being on a GBA cartridge limits its size and scope somewhat. Youll miss some referential things in the script making nods to plot changes but its not worth playing two other versions of this game to understand.

The game is ridiculously easy. There are no puzzle bosses no gimmick fights no nothing that cant be beaten by just nuking things ans healing through the damage they deal.

The wind ring from Vane breaks the game more.

Using characters Arts Gauges is basically free full heals or nuke attacks.

Several characters will enter and leave your party (some permanently) but theres no reason to worry about it or doing anything to prepare for it. The game doesnt penalize you for them leaving in any real way and most come back later.

The point of no return is telegraphed (assault a tower after collecting legendary weapons and armor) but extremely long and railroady from that point on. There arent many sidequests in the game, so there is no real reason to put it off.

At the end of the game, when they say the shop items are free you really can get every item in the shop for free and you should absolutely use this time to stock up on everything you could want.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

Ainsley McTree posted:

UPDATE: I was wrong about this. Basically, these 'steal the X and deliver it to a racket to increase its earn' optional missions will be available as long as you have a racket available that hasn't maxed out its earn yet. I was confused because the game seemed to indicate that I had a mission available despite having all of that particular assets' rackets earns maxed out, and yet when I went to the spot, there was nothing to steal.

So yeah, if you have available earn to increase for a particular asset, their right hand associate will have a "steal a boat/truck and bring it to a racket" mission ready for you to bring that number up. If everything's maxed, don't bother with these missions, no matter what the game tries to tell you, it's tricking you.

On a related note, since it appears that you can max out your rackets in this manner with just one optional mission per racket, there's no particular reason to recruit informants or bosses, since that extra earn money is superfluous. Might as well just kill them and take the instant cash, unless there are rackets later on that are harder to max out the earn for them. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Every person you recruit increases that racket's max earn, rather than just contributing towards it. You still max out the max earn with the optional missions though. Since the abilities unlocked by each underboss is determined by how much their total earn is, you'll want to do all of these (and their loyalty missions) should you want to unlock as many abilities as possible.

Money has been completely superfluous in the game when I finished it, eventually you can unlock the ability to collect all the Earn automatically without having to pickup yourself. I never bought all the guns but I did max out the upgrades for the two types I used.

You can't max out all three underbosses, so you'll want to pick and choose your favourites. I was able to max out 2, and I had done literally all the missions in the game and spared everyone.

I also didn't see a point to assigning an different underboss the hold a racket and then assigning the district to a different one. None of the abilities were really so powerful that I would've wanted it temporarily so I just assigned the rackets to whichever underboss I was going to give the district to in the end.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Geektox posted:

Every person you recruit increases that racket's max earn, rather than just contributing towards it. You still max out the max earn with the optional missions though. Since the abilities unlocked by each underboss is determined by how much their total earn is, you'll want to do all of these (and their loyalty missions) should you want to unlock as many abilities as possible.

Money has been completely superfluous in the game when I finished it, eventually you can unlock the ability to collect all the Earn automatically without having to pickup yourself. I never bought all the guns but I did max out the upgrades for the two types I used.

You can't max out all three underbosses, so you'll want to pick and choose your favourites. I was able to max out 2, and I had done literally all the missions in the game and spared everyone.

I also didn't see a point to assigning an different underboss the hold a racket and then assigning the district to a different one. None of the abilities were really so powerful that I would've wanted it temporarily so I just assigned the rackets to whichever underboss I was going to give the district to in the end.

Thanks, that clears things up a bit. Regarding the underbosses, are there any negative consequences for favoring one over the others apart from "you don't unlock any more of their upgrades"? The cutscenes make it sound like it's going to be a balancing act trying to keep the three of them happy, so I'm wondering if I, say, give every racket and district to Cassandra until she's maxed, Vito and Burke are going to do bad things that I'll have to deal with, or if that actually doesn't matter too much.

I suppose the answer to that question could be a bit of a spoiler but I don't mind having it ruined

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I grabbed Ys Origins on PS4 without knowing anything about it. Advice?

LawfulWaffle fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Feb 23, 2017

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

LawfulWaffle posted:

I grabbed Ys Origins on PS$ without knowing anything about it. Advice?
Don't start a savefile for each of the characters at the same time, you'll get burned out - they go through the same game with slightly different dialogue and mechanics. That being said, beating the game with both unlocks a third character who is a lot of fun to play as; as far as the story goes, it's best to treat it as each one giving their perspective on it.

As for choosing, Yunica gives the traditional Ys experience with melee beatdown while Hugo plays around his ranged attack and his mechanics are less complicated - you just want to aim and dodge bullets. Don't believe what the game says about magic, Yunica's is considerably better.

Make sure to explore and clean out each floor. Even little stat boots given by weapons and armoru pgrades matter a lot in Ys. With that said, you don't really need any of the character traits you can buy so feel free to go for what you like. Some of the accessories you find in out-of-the-way chests are actually needed to progress.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Feb 23, 2017

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

LawfulWaffle posted:

I grabbed Ys Origins on PS4 without knowing anything about it. Advice?
Don't play as Hugo, Yunica is way more fun. Probably not a good idea to play on Nightmare if you are new to Ys games of that era.

E: ^^^^ You do NOT need to play as both characters to unlock the third guy, unless that was changed for the PS4 release. Xseed/Sara explicitly changed this on the Steam release so that you only needed to beat one.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
Quick question regarding Fire Emblem Fates: Is it ever worth it to use captured units instead of named characters?

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Foxhound posted:

Quick question regarding Fire Emblem Fates: Is it ever worth it to use captured units instead of named characters?
I did a full run of Birthright only using captured characters, and it was actually pretty difficult at times. There's barely ever a call for it there, other than as a novelty.

On Conquest, particularly on Lunatic, though, there are some powerful generic enemies, often with extremely useful skills. The boss of Chapter 9, Haitaka, has the Rally Defense skill, which is absurdly useful (especially in the next chapter), and there's a lategame enemy with four different rally skills who is crazy nice to have. Conquest in particular has enemies with cheaty skillsets so it can be nice to grab them, though you can't get the few enemy-only skills.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

theshim posted:

I did a full run of Birthright only using captured characters, and it was actually pretty difficult at times. There's barely ever a call for it there, other than as a novelty.

On Conquest, particularly on Lunatic, though, there are some powerful generic enemies, often with extremely useful skills. The boss of Chapter 9, Haitaka, has the Rally Defense skill, which is absurdly useful (especially in the next chapter), and there's a lategame enemy with four different rally skills who is crazy nice to have. Conquest in particular has enemies with cheaty skillsets so it can be nice to grab them, though you can't get the few enemy-only skills.

That's interesting. I'm only like 10 chapters into Birthright Classic hard but I'll probably do the other paths later. Will try to capture "special" enemies I guess and see if they're any fun. I found it somewhat useful to have an "expendable" unit to trigger enemy movements at times though.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Foxhound posted:

That's interesting. I'm only like 10 chapters into Birthright Classic hard but I'll probably do the other paths later. Will try to capture "special" enemies I guess and see if they're any fun. I found it somewhat useful to have an "expendable" unit to trigger enemy movements at times though.
That is a fair use for them, though it goes against all my Fire Emblem instincts to throw people out to die :v:

Without doing the paralogues, there's only one boss that can be captured, and she's not particularly good. The paralogue bosses can often be captured, though, and some of them are pretty solid.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
What should I know about Diaries of a Spaceport Janitor?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Mister Macys posted:

What should I know about Diaries of a Spaceport Janitor?

A lot of the game is about figuring out what the heck is going on, as far as I can tell, you can't permanently screw anything up.

If you try to make a map, you'll run into problems because the topology is non-euclidean.
I don't have a good way to describe the actual shape but I'd say it's (Spoiler Map below)

fortune cookie shaped? The North and East ends are connected, as are the West and South ends. Here's a map I found

http://imgur.com/lPXfRr8

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Finally starting Subnautica. I'm surprised it's not on the wiki. My inventory is full and I can't drop anything and I'm dying of thirst o god what do i do

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

credburn posted:

Finally starting Subnautica. I'm surprised it's not on the wiki. My inventory is full and I can't drop anything and I'm dying of thirst o god what do i do

Okay, first off: you can drop things. I forget exactly how, but it was something simple like select the item and let go of it outside the inventory window or something. You might need to be standing on your escape pod or in it to do so, however.

Second: play on freedom mode, where you can explore and do all of the fun stuff without the survival meters ticking down....and yet you can still drown and die, so getting upgrades is a huge relief. I think I have that label right. As I understand it, the game still isn't balanced yet, so survival mode is going to be a paaaaaain. (...and I'm a player who likes exploring but not scrambling to find survival things.)

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

credburn posted:

It's been a while since I've played, but I think there are plenty of storage spots on your lifeboat thing to keep you going for a while and you can build other floating storage lockers. Also, sometimes it's best not to horde common things you don't really need right away (like coral which isn't hard to get when you need it). For water there is a certain kind of fish you can catch that will let you make filtered water and it's pretty plentiful in the shallows where you start.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

theshim posted:

That is a fair use for them, though it goes against all my Fire Emblem instincts to throw people out to die :v:

Without doing the paralogues, there's only one boss that can be captured, and she's not particularly good. The paralogue bosses can often be captured, though, and some of them are pretty solid.

Hmm are you sure? I just did Paralogue 2 for Kana and I couldn't capture any of the enemies since they were the Invader types. It was hard enough as it was (like 6 tries lol) so I didn't have a chance to see if I could even capture the two goons that come in halfway through.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Foxhound posted:

Hmm are you sure? I just did Paralogue 2 for Kana and I couldn't capture any of the enemies since they were the Invader types. It was hard enough as it was (like 6 tries lol) so I didn't have a chance to see if I could even capture the two goons that come in halfway through.
Invaders (glowy purple assholes) can never be captured. A lot of the paralogues have actual normal characters as bosses, though (Candace, Nichol, etc), and those can be captured.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

credburn posted:

Right click stuff in your inventory to drop it OUTSIDE of the life pod. Make bleach. Drink bleach don't drink bleach use it to make water. You swim faster if you put stuff away, E by default. Peepers can't see you at night.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Kruller posted:

Peepers can't see you at night.

But that's when I do all my peeping! :saddowns:

Make bleach, drink bleach is still my favorite advice of this thread. I remember the last time it came up, but it's never not funny.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

credburn posted:

I just started playing last week myself.

-You just right-click on something to drop it while you're not in the Lifepod, and while in the Lifepod there's a storage locker.
-Catch Bladderfish for water, go to the Lifepod, use the fabricator, and it can use the fish to make water.
-Get some titanium and creepvine seeds to make a knife (make silicone rubber and then make a knife), use that on the coral tubes and find salt, it's typically near the Acid Shrooms but can be found elsewhere. Mix the salt and the coral samples to make bleach, use that to make more filtered water.
-From here I'd say just check the recipes in the Fabricator, right away you should've made a repair tool to fix the Lifepod up, it's recipe is under Personal->Tools. You'll often have to make materials to make things, so check ingredients for what you want to make, then check the Resources tabs to see if the ingredients are things you can just make.
-I'd recommend making some Fins, a few air tanks, scanner, flashlight, laser cutter, and builder tool, pretty much in that order. You'll use the scanner to scan parts and things you find on the ocean floor to get blueprints to build more stuff.
-You can also build a radiation suit, but I found one in one of the earlier Lifepods I got a signal about (I think 6 or 7), not sure if those are in an order or random, but they'll pop up in the communications module in the Lifepod.
-The First Aid module in the Lifepod will make first aid kits periodically and will beep when ready. I personally tend to keep two on me just in case and store the rest in a locker.
-You can build a battery recharger, I dumped a bunch of batteries not knowing this, you'll need the Builder Tool and maybe scanned blueprints for it
-At some point you'll get blueprints that let you make various vehicles, and once you get one you should explore a bit farther out, just remember to bring extra batteries, water, and food.
-Cooked food will eventually spoil and be bad to eat, uncooked fish won't afaik. I usually cook enough fish to fill up at the pod, then cook one for the road.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zaodai posted:

But that's when I do all my peeping! :saddowns:

Make bleach, drink bleach is still my favorite advice of this thread. I remember the last time it came up, but it's never not funny.

For those of us who don't play Subnautica, what does drinking bleach do? Instant death?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

For those of us who don't play Subnautica, what does drinking bleach do? Instant death?

The humor (for me) is derived from the fact that someone comes into the thread looking for advice and gets told to (not directly) drink bleach. It's just the perfect encapsulation of the internet.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Zaodai posted:

The humor (for me) is derived from the fact that someone comes into the thread looking for advice and gets told to (not directly) drink bleach. It's just the perfect encapsulation of the internet.

I was once toying with the idea of making a thread for game questions where the answers seemingly violate the forum rules, i.e. don't tell people to kill themselves.

"What do you think is the most thematically impactful ending of Spec Ops: The Line?" Kill your self
"Is there any way to permanently die in Planescape Torment?"Die in a fire
"Anyone have some basic survival tips for Subnautica?"Make bleach, drink bleach

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You can't drink it. It's just the only ingredient to make a large quantity of clean water.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I was once toying with the idea of making a thread for game questions where the answers seemingly violate the forum rules, i.e. don't tell people to kill themselves.

"What do you think is the most thematically impactful ending of Spec Ops: The Line?" Kill your self
"Is there any way to permanently die in Planescape Torment?"Die in a fire
"Anyone have some basic survival tips for Subnautica?"Make bleach, drink bleach

Every romance option would of course be "sever".

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Any advice for Settlers 7?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Anyone have anything for Sniper Elite 4, especially given this is my first Sniper Elite game? I really have no idea what I'm doing, and like a bellend I've turned off Aim Assist because damnit if NerdCubed can do it then so can I right :saddowns: (but even with it turned back on I don't really get what I'm doing, so)

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Ciaphas posted:

Anyone have anything for Sniper Elite 4, especially given this is my first Sniper Elite game? I really have no idea what I'm doing, and like a bellend I've turned off Aim Assist because damnit if NerdCubed can do it then so can I right :saddowns: (but even with it turned back on I don't really get what I'm doing, so)

Vary up where you shoot- the devs put a lot of effort into what parts of our fragile bodies are rendered into paste when shot at range with a high powered rifle, and if I'm right, the game rewards you extra points for variety.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Ciaphas posted:

Not played 4 yet but not much changed between 2 and 3 so this general advice should be valid.

- You can set custom difficulty, personally I like to have very realistic bullet physics, competent enemies and minor aim assist.

- You'll have a much easier time and kill Nazis just as effectively aiming for center mass rather than the head.

- Vehicles are generally killed by shooting the red fuel caps. Yes, even tanks.

- Keep sniping from the same spot and the enemy will work out roughly where you are.

- You can shoot grenades hanging off of people's belts.

Feel free to correct me on any of this though. I might be misremembering or things could have changed.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Always shoot Hitler in the dick.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Resident Evil 5

If playing solo:
- Your AI ally does not understand grenades, and will not use them.
- Your AI ally does understand rifles and is very, very good at using them.
- ...but after every cutscene, they will put away the rifle and not take it back out until you tell them to "attack" (uparrow).

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Ciaphas posted:

Sniper Elite 4

There's probably an option in the menu to increase the likelyhood of an x-ray shot. Set that one to max.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

ToxicFrog posted:

Resident Evil 5

If playing solo:
- ...but after every cutscene, they will put away the rifle and not take it back out until you tell them to "attack" (uparrow).
couple more things:
-The AI won't use a machine gun or shotgun if they have a handgun with any ammo left. You're probably best off giving them the pistol and keeping the other two to yourself.

-You unlock 2 pretty good character-exclusive weapons for fully upgrading the weakest machine gun and rifle, but the AI doesn't have any idea how to actually aim them.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Ciaphas posted:

After your first runthrough, use a guide for collectible objects. They're really obscure, or virtually invisible with some graphics settings.

Don't stress the aim assist- you won't have it when you try the highest difficulty.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Feb 27, 2017

Odd
Dec 30, 2006

I think everybody just needs to maybe cool out a little maybe

Pneub posted:

couple more things:
-The AI won't use a machine gun or shotgun if they have a handgun with any ammo left. You're probably best off giving them the pistol and keeping the other two to yourself.

-You unlock 2 pretty good character-exclusive weapons for fully upgrading the weakest machine gun and rifle, but the AI doesn't have any idea how to actually aim them.

I think you're right about the machine gun, but they will use a shotgun in 'appropriate' circumstances IF you have them in attack mode. Well sometimes. Like 50% of the time. Also they will drain ammo like it's going out of style.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

ToxicFrog posted:

Resident Evil 5

If playing solo:

- Your AI ally loves using healing items for paper cuts regardless of how much health said item can replenish (don't let them have healing items)
- Seriously just give them one gun type and don't use it yourself, give them all the ammo for it and it works out pretty well in my experience

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

ToxicFrog posted:

Resident Evil 5

If playing solo:

Give your AI ally one of the machine guns and use them as a pack mule for the rifle. NEVER give them healing items unless you absolutely have to and definitely do not give them a pistol.

I don't know off hand if its better to have them do the turn a thing minigame while you defend them. I usually defended them to make sure we didn't die.

Even though ladders are nowhere near the gods they used to be, setting up at the top of one and shotgunning or knifing assholes off the edge still really works. Bonus points if you throw a grenade down there after you shotgun a large group over a ladder.

i never used grenades much. I mostly saved them for selling. Except flash grenades, I hoarded those things. Give grenades to your AI pack mule buddy since I'm pretty sure they don't have code to use grenades.

I'll also ask again if anyone has anything for Settlers 7: Path to a Kingdom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truman Sticks
Nov 2, 2011
I haven't played a Sniper Elite game since V2, but I always feel like I'm not playing them right. After your first satisfyingly bone-crunching X-Ray shot at a group of unaware enemies, everybody runs into hiding and you have to advance forward and use things that aren't a sniper rifle. The ratio of sniping to not sniping seems way too low. Am I missing something?