Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Dreyvas posted:

Ooh, I might be interested in this. Details?

It's a popular hangout for the DevOps community.

https://twitter.com/hangops
https://signup.hangops.com/

I need to get on there more. But if I left Slack open at work, I'd literally never get anything done. I'm bad enough with spam refreshing SA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Hey everyone, I have a question and I'm not sure where to ask so I'd like to ask the IT professionals here. It's about workstation security. What do you guys recommend in regards securing data on a workstation that was stolen? The person in question has a small business setting up workstations for other businesses. My client was asking me what would be the best way to remote wipe a workstation if it were to get stolen. I suggested full disk encryption as a first defense but while researching this specific request, I came across several services that offered remote wipe such as:

Microsoft Intuit
Absolute DDS
Prey Project
EXO5
Lojack
Maas360

If I'm barking up the wrong tree, I'd gladly take some redirection. Thanks :)

Edit: Forgot to say these stations are running Win 7 Pro and Win 10 Pro, I believe.

Instruction Manuel fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Oct 12, 2016

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Full disk encryption and strong user passwords are the way to go. Remote wipe is a safetly blanket at best.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

I asked for a 5% increase over what the start up company was offering and they blew up the offer entirely :shepicide:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Bullet dodged?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

:yotj: Guess who went from being unemployed to making 30% more than ever. :yotj:

I had even been told that I didn't get the job on Friday, then they changed their mind Monday. It turns out someone from my first job works there and put in a good word for me.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
Trainwreck dodged

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Remote wipe is nice and all... except if the person is actually smart and attempting to steal data, they would not expose it to the internet, so your remote wipe command will never go through. Remote wipe is slightly more useful for cell phones or something with an "always on" type of connection, always on being in quotes because you obviously can turn it off, so with this case the same principle from before applies, if the person is smart and actually attempting to steal data, one of their first steps (should be) to no longer expose it to the internet.

As others mentioned, full disk encrypt + strong passwords. Perhaps more security minded people have other avenues as well.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Apparently, holy moly. Guess I'll just focus on preparing to interview with Microsoft in a couple weeks but yikes.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Philip Rivers posted:

Apparently, holy moly. Guess I'll just focus on preparing to interview with Microsoft in a couple weeks but yikes.

Yeah, there's at least one monstrous ego at that company that you do not want to work with (or more likely, work for).

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

That they didn't even counter with, "nope, sorry, we can only stick firm at this number" and instead just told me to gently caress off probably does say a lot, yeah.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
Were they anywhere near 80k?

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Nope. I'll admit the 80k thing was seriously naive on my part (maybe if I get the MS job lol) but I felt like they were lowballing me from the start.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Philip Rivers posted:

That they didn't even counter with, "nope, sorry, we can only stick firm at this number" and instead just told me to gently caress off probably does say a lot, yeah.

It tells you two things:
1. They only hire spineless cowards.
2. They're incapable of negotiating with people who have spines.

I don't think they have great prospects for the future unless they're selling cold fusion reactors that actually work.

Dreyvas
Jan 13, 2014
Absolutely a dodged bullet. Try not to let it rattle you too much.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
5% is absolutely nothing. If they weren't shitlords they would've at least offered to split the difference. You should ask for 10% next time and shoot for 5.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Internet Explorer posted:

Full disk encryption and strong user passwords are the way to go. Remote wipe is a safetly blanket at best.

MF_James posted:

Remote wipe is nice and all... except if the person is actually smart and attempting to steal data, they would not expose it to the internet, so your remote wipe command will never go through. Remote wipe is slightly more useful for cell phones or something with an "always on" type of connection, always on being in quotes because you obviously can turn it off, so with this case the same principle from before applies, if the person is smart and actually attempting to steal data, one of their first steps (should be) to no longer expose it to the internet.

As others mentioned, full disk encrypt + strong passwords. Perhaps more security minded people have other avenues as well.

This is pretty much what I've concluded. Thanks for the responses and anyone else feel free to chime in. Cheers.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Alternatively use only network/online storage and keep nothing on local disks.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Got a quote from a vendor to redo our entire phone system for ~$35,000. Got to go demo it today. First experience with Cisco UCM, but color me impressed.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

The Fool posted:

Got a quote from a vendor to redo our entire phone system for ~$35,000. Got to go demo it today. First experience with Cisco UCM, but color me impressed.

How many endpoints? Because that's not a bad price, if it's including services.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

psydude posted:

How many endpoints? Because that's not a bad price, if it's including services.

Little less than 100. I had no real idea of what to expect, the IT director was all, "yeah, that's normal"

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I have Cisco UCM for about they many users, purchased a few years ago and I'd love to get rid of it. Probably moving to hosted VOIP. It's just not worth the maintenance or having to call consultants in for anything major. At 100 users it's more trouble than its worth. My predecessor put it in, paid twice your quote, and it was a dumb decision at the time, let alone now.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

We have UCM, poo poo just works. Yes I call consultants but it's not often. I like it.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Docjowles posted:

It's a popular hangout for the DevOps community.

https://twitter.com/hangops
https://signup.hangops.com/

I need to get on there more. But if I left Slack open at work, I'd literally never get anything done. I'm bad enough with spam refreshing SA.

Hangops can wait, servers and storage cannot.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Internet Explorer posted:

I have Cisco UCM for about they many users, purchased a few years ago and I'd love to get rid of it. Probably moving to hosted VOIP. It's just not worth the maintenance or having to call consultants in for anything major. At 100 users it's more trouble than its worth. My predecessor put it in, paid twice your quote, and it was a dumb decision at the time, let alone now.

Hosted voip solutions are a total non-starter in this region.

Also, ad integration for address book and user provisioning? Yes please.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Hosted VoIP is terrible for businesses that do mostly in-house communications. There's just no reason to traverse hundreds of miles of internet to talk to Bob in accounting every so often.

If half of the 100 person environment talks externally, like a sales office, it makes a whole lot of sense. Or if users are spread over multiple locations.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

The Fool posted:

Little less than 100. I had no real idea of what to expect, the IT director was all, "yeah, that's normal"
That's pretty phenomenal. I am not sure I could do 100 endpoints for that much, and it would be done by internal staff.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Are you guys putting the call manager, unity, etc virtual machines on currently running esx hosts?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

adorai posted:

That's pretty phenomenal. I am not sure I could do 100 endpoints for that much, and it would be done by internal staff.

Bonus points: you don't have to employ weird phone people.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

adorai posted:

Sorry, that number doesn't include deployment. Labor costs are nearly another $20k

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
What's your guys opinion on this. We're kind of in a pissing match with a monitoring company. They emailed us about an interface being down. We told them it's down until further notice, however they interpreted that as meaning it's down due to a maintenance and keep sending us emails asking when it will be back on. We've asked them about 10 times now to stop asking us about it until further notice but they keep telling us since we took it down for maintenance we need to let them know when it will be back. We never took it down for maintenance though we just said to stop monitoring it until further notice.

So do you guys consider "stop monitoring until further notice" to be the same as "taken down due to maintenance"

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
yet another reason i hate using third parties.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Sepist posted:

What's your guys opinion on this. We're kind of in a pissing match with a monitoring company. They emailed us about an interface being down. We told them it's down until further notice, however they interpreted that as meaning it's down due to a maintenance and keep sending us emails asking when it will be back on. We've asked them about 10 times now to stop asking us about it until further notice but they keep telling us since we took it down for maintenance we need to let them know when it will be back. We never took it down for maintenance though we just said to stop monitoring it until further notice.

So do you guys consider "stop monitoring until further notice" to be the same as "taken down due to maintenance"

Setup auto responder. Be done with it. Add in weird poo poo to the responses to screw with them.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Sepist posted:

I consider it to be "you monitor on our behalf - ostensibly, you work for us". If I tell you, meaning the monitoring company, that we're not to be contacted about that interface until further notice, that's the end of the discussion.

If you hadn't followed up with them by emphatically saying it's down until further notice, then I could find some way to understand their position. But this seems like they're trying to dogmatically adhere to some sort of internal policy. "All maintenance windows must have a defined start and end." Well you know, again, you work for us, the end of this 'maintenance' is when I tell you.

e: It probably seems like I went from 0 to 60, just immediately treat them like crap. And maybe I did. But I swear, I've dealt with two similar issues in my own organization (not even external!) in the last month and I am just exhausted by this kind of refusal to bend and collaborate.

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Oct 13, 2016

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Just tell them that it is down and you haven't decided when it will be back up. There really is no need for discussion with a service provider whether you are allowed to take your stuff down.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
The maintenance window is set to expire on February of 2019, but we'll let you know if it's back up earlier

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k

adorai posted:

yet another reason i hate using third parties.

Unfortunately we had no choice. Customer wanted a gartner magic quadrant monitoring solution instead of what we're offering. Now they hate it and want to reneg the deal with magic quadrant company and bring it in house to us. I don't blame them, these guys are a real piece of poo poo monitoring company.

jaegerx posted:

Setup auto responder. Be done with it. Add in weird poo poo to the responses to screw with them.

They also call on every outage so there's a paper and verbal trail, not to easy

Sepist fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Oct 13, 2016

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Is Gartner more than an organisation for receiving sacks of cash? There's a lot of stuff in their magic quadrants that is pure poo poo.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
Probably, the only one I've ever heard of that doesn't have outside influence is JD Power but even that is just from what I hear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Hosted VoIP is terrible for businesses that do mostly in-house communications. There's just no reason to traverse hundreds of miles of internet to talk to Bob in accounting every so often.

If half of the 100 person environment talks externally, like a sales office, it makes a whole lot of sense. Or if users are spread over multiple locations.

There's a feature called reinviting that lets you tell phones that have direct LAN access to each other to just send their audio direct to the destination rather than bouncing it off the server.

It's disabled by default because it can result in one-way or no audio issues when dealing with certain NAT issues, but if you have enough control over your network to diagnose and repair said NAT issues it can be wonderful. All your on-network calls stay on your network other than a bit of control traffic being sent to the server.

With a smart SIP proxy like an Edgemarc on site you can even have internal calling remain working when the connection to the hosted server goes down.