Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Eimi posted:

Post Holy Fury Crusades are super important if you're Christian because the Pope will actually pop open his money vault and allow you a brief trip inside if you participate. Like even as say third most contributing kingdom the Pope would pay out several thousand gold, along with a mountain of piety and the great Crusader trait. It is a shame that Muslims are modeled poorly, and hopefully one of the better parts of CK3 is getting a mulligan on them.

Of course I haven't played EU4 that recently since I'm super far behind on DLCs, but I just remember Muslim mechanics in EU4 are you have a slider where you want to sit if you want to go for war and a position you want to sit when you're teching up. Your general government type didn't feel that different from a Christian, as you had all the same options. Like comparable changes to CK2 muslims, just that they are better balanced and don't have a negative mechanic like decadence as a yoke around your neck. :shrug:

EU4 religions are the main way that Paradox tries to make different parts of the world feel mechanically different. These mechanics are pretty underwhelming for non-Christians though, as they're little more than bonus modifiers. At this point, I feel that putting more stuff EU4 is really pushing against the basic design of the game, so I'm mainly looking forward to whatever comes next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
It's fine when religions and cultures get some special mechanics but quite often it's immersion breaking and/or dumb. Tag-related abilities are confusing, like special Prussian way unavailable to anyone else.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Ugh, the new Paradox forums are disgusting.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

drat yeah it does not look good in a proper browser. Decent in mobile though, I'm guessing they primarily designed for that for some reason.

e: although that's mostly the thread listing pages that's not great. The threads themselves look good.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Dramicus posted:

Ugh, the new Paradox forums are disgusting.

and then there's the layout

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

PittTheElder posted:

The threads themselves look good.

I dunno, at least in the HoI4 section, the colors are poo poo. Every game seems to have a unique color scheme. The Battletech and Stellaris ones are alright I guess, but HoI4 is hard on the eyes.

Edit: I guess it looks ok on phones, but 99% of the time I browse the Paradox forums on a desktop.

Dramicus fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Apr 30, 2020

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Heh, don't you people have phones? :smug:

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
They all look fine to me, but then again all they've done is embrace the style most other game forums have.

Like, they remind me of battle.net without overthinking for an example.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

I barely read forums other than SA these days so I'm not exactly up on the state of the art, but they look fine to me on desktop. :shrug:

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
As long as it still has the dev posts only option then it’s fine.

Reading PDX forums is like reading YouTube comments.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Personally, CK2 is my favorite of the modern Paradox games, although I've been playing less and less because it feels like I've done everything. EU4 is probably my least favorite, only because most nations outside of Europe feel samey and comparatively underdeveloped, plus the increasing complexity is a turn off. I still play it occasionally. HOI4 has become really good after the last few DLCs and I love playing out my fantasy of global anarchism.

As much as I want Vicky3, I don't think modern Paradox could pull it off. I'm looking forward to CK3, though.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Westminster System posted:

They all look fine to me, but then again all they've done is embrace the style most other game forums have.

Like, they remind me of battle.net without overthinking for an example.

Bold Robot posted:

I barely read forums other than SA these days so I'm not exactly up on the state of the art, but they look fine to me on desktop. :shrug:

Hey, look. I prefer my websites to look like they were designed some time between 2000 - 2005.

Fellblade posted:

As long as it still has the dev posts only option then it’s fine.

Reading PDX forums is like reading YouTube comments.
Apparently that feature is gone, but I imagine they'll add it back soon enough.

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

Dramicus posted:

Apparently that feature is gone, but I imagine they'll add it back soon enough.

They better! Because I just lost all interest in using the forums, outside of maybe modding, because easily reading dev replies, especially for dev diaries, is very useful to get an idea on whats going on internally.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
But how else will you know that Panzerfan88 was the the first to post in thread if you can't see his "First" post?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

What will we do without a guy with a Confederate flag avatar and Vicky 2 pop signature that describes him as "Rationalist, Atheist" complaining that the Norse portraits in CK2 aren't white enough?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Stux posted:

like i said, im probably going to sit back down with ck2 and play through as a christian or pagan instead to give it another shot, because i would like to have another paradox game to enjoy. but i do think that having muslims be so significantly less developed that multiple people tell me that theyre entirely unrepresentative of the game, when its a game about the crusades, is a pretty large flaw yes.

for what it's worth, feudal christians and tribal pagans are the main ways to play in CK2. the other ways to play are jankier and muddled, and were always aimed more at players who had exhausted other playstyles.

even then, tribal pagans are basically playing a low fantasy roleplaying game. it's basically all made up to fill in the significant blanks in the historical record.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Cease to Hope posted:

for what it's worth, feudal christians and tribal pagans are the main ways to play in CK2. the other ways to play are jankier and muddled, and were always aimed more at players who had exhausted other playstyles.

even then, tribal pagans are basically playing a low fantasy roleplaying game. it's basically all made up to fill in the significant blanks in the historical record.

i would say that, even if people play them less, nomads are also very distinct from every other play style

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Cease to Hope posted:

Complete with +2 axe IIRC.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Sampatrick posted:

i would say that, even if people play them less, nomads are also very distinct from every other play style

nomads are very distinct but also completely terribly designed. they just need to be fundamentally rethought; they aren't compatible with CK2 in any way. turning the alps into horse pasture is ridiculous even by the game's standards.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

After several attempts of both main game and modded nomads, I still have no idea what the hell they're supposed to do.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Cease to Hope posted:

nomads are very distinct but also completely terribly designed. they just need to be fundamentally rethought; they aren't compatible with CK2 in any way. turning the alps into horse pasture is ridiculous even by the game's standards.

Wait what

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Nomads can use empty holding slots in provinces as pastureland. And they can raze built holdings in order to get empty holding slots. They can do this anywhere.

I remember everyone being super up on nomad gameplay when Horse Lords came out but I guess feelings have soured in the past... four and a half? Christ. Years.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I haven't played Nomad since like the two comprehensive playthroughs I had when Horse Lords came out. It's just not my jam.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The real poo poo with nomads is to take your random-rear end turkic tribe and settle down in like central Italy.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Cease to Hope posted:

The better, fun way to play them is to actually have a policy of never taxing unless under extreme needful circumstances.

It doesn’t matter too much too considering how OP a player can be with them.

^^^^^
Funky knows what’s up.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Soup du Jour posted:

this is where these arguments always wind up: “I think that it sucks that EU4 is a game where you have hundreds of thousands of casualties fighting over calais in 1470” vs “oh so you just want it to be a game where you read a wikipedia article about real life history”

EU2 AGCEEP, while certainly being Wikipedia Article Simulator, did manage to make me feel like I was steering a country through history rather than playing War Simulator 1440-1810 though.

Goddamn Paradox just give us internal mechanics already dammit. All politics is local politics, making foreign policy the only politics that exists in your game inherently makes it disconnected and dysfunctional.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

One of my favorite ck2 playthroughs was doing a shattered world all nomads run. It made for some interesting power blocs.

This was like 3 years ago though.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

You can raze the holdings of a province and turn them into useable horse pasture, and you can do this literally anywhere.

This also means nomads don't really interact with feudalism at all. There's no real limit on how much land you can hold personally. This is supposed to be offset by how little you can exploit it, but that doesn't matter.

You don't have to raise levies anyway. Your entire army is one giant retinue of one of the best troop types in the game, which get huge buffs from your buildings and probably your culture and/or religion. LC or HAs have been one of the best troop types ever since Horse Lords came out, and nomads are the only ruler type who get entirely retinue-style armies of one troop type, which is super OP in CK2's combat system for obscure reasons.

These retinues (and your OP Muslim-style casus belli) are all paid for with prestige, not money. You don't actually need money for very much at all. The only thing you need it for is bribes, but you don't really have to bribe anyone.

Nobody you care about cares if you treat non-tribal characters like poo poo. You can just revoke all your non-feudal vassals' titles - all the way down to the baronies - to turn them into titles you can safely hold personally and benefit from, and this won't annoy tribal characters. You never have to have any vassals but a handful of your own countrymen.

You never have more than about 10 other tribal vassals; there's a hard cap. This makes things pretty easy on its own compared to running an empire, but it gets even more abusive if you give them one county each and let them stack their negative penalties impotently. What are they gonna do, band up and overthrow you with like 100 guys?

Your inheritance is a combination of the most OP parts of Muslim inheritance and Tanistry. Your single heir to all your titles is always a member of your family, and favors your most prestigious son. This is pretty easy to game to always pick your best son, and even if you have a sudden run of bad luck, you'll always have some relative to play as.

There's lots of other bennies. You can always take concubines or join a Warrior Lodge regardless of religion. You can easily move your capital or switch religions or even cultures because the things that made those hard don't apply to you. You can be unreformed pagan with no downsides but there's nothing stopping you from reforming a pagan religion.

Nomads basically cheat at every part of CK2. They only thing they're bad at is forming your own bloodline (because you keep spending all your prestige) or ocean crossings (nomads can't build boats and need non-nomadic vassals for that).

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Cease to Hope posted:

There's lots of other bennies. You can always take concubines or join a Warrior Lodge regardless of religion. You can easily move your capital or switch religions or even cultures because the things that made those hard don't apply to you. You can be unreformed pagan with no downsides but there's nothing stopping you from reforming a pagan religion.

The one thing you actually can't do as nomads is to switch culture. Like at all. For all other points, you're spot on.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Torrannor posted:

The one thing you actually can't do as nomads is to switch culture. Like at all. For all other points, you're spot on.

Yeah that is a weird aspect of nomads and I'm not really sure why it's like that. I guess the idea is that being a nomad is itself cultural but you'd think you could at least freely switch to other nomadic cultures.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Torrannor posted:

I could've sworn you could, on succession.

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010

Cease to Hope posted:

IIRC different-culture family members are excluded from succession.

Funky Valentine posted:

The real poo poo with nomads is to take your random-rear end turkic tribe and settle down in like central Italy.

One of my favorite games was abusing the pre-Horse Lords Turkic CB. The Cumans invaded Sicily to procure boats, and sailed off to found the Irish Khanate

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Yashichi posted:

One of my favorite games was abusing the pre-Horse Lords Turkic CB. The Cumans invaded Sicily to procure boats, and sailed off to found the Irish Khanate
This reminds me of how I tried to invade Ceylon as a Norse guy so I could pillage India with impunity. I never succeeded at getting there, though.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

This reminds me of how I tried to invade Ceylon as a Norse guy so I could pillage India with impunity. I never succeeded at getting there, though.

I did once it ended up with all my vikings dying for generations in their early twenties of horrible pandemics.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Cease to Hope posted:

Not at all. As Yashichi pointed out, different culture kids are disinherited, and you also can't use the Rajas of India convert-to-local-culture decision as a nomad. Which means if you want to use the powerful Become Genghis Khan decision, you have to start as a Mongol, not Uyghur or Khazar of Turkish.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

there seem to be a bunch of arbitrary limits on nomads. for example, it is impossible to create feudal vassals, for no reason i can discern.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

BBJoey posted:

there seem to be a bunch of arbitrary limits on nomads. for example, it is impossible to create feudal vassals, for no reason i can discern.

Not that there's ever any reason you'd want to.

It's frustrating that there's no reason to seek tribute or tributaries, even though Horse Lords is about the time the tribute system was added to CK2.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Cease to Hope posted:

Not that there's ever any reason you'd want to.

It's frustrating that there's no reason to seek tribute or tributaries, even though Horse Lords is about the time the tribute system was added to CK2.

I subjugated Persia once and they also had a bit of Tripolitania. I didn't have a land connection to it and couldn't really be bothered to station troops there until it was razed down. Couldn't split off a clan cause I was at 9/9 so there was no way for me to make them independent except losing a revolt on purpose.
E: I didn't notice the bit of unconnected land when I revoked all my vassals, otherwise I would have just released the subjugated guys obviously.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
Oh that reminds me of another way nomads cheat:

Because all of your land except your capital is empty horse pasture, your enemies can't actually occupy it (or raid it) except when an army is physically standing on it. As soon as that army moves, the land counts as unoccupied again. Players can build a cheap fort there to occupy it permanently but NPC factions will almost never do this.

In real life, part of the problem actual nomadic societies had is that agrarian people would move into their grazing lands on the off-season and not recognize their ownership since nobody was there to enforce it. Instead, in CK2 nomads are even more of a pain in the rear end to invade because you have to win an all-out war then you have a limited time to build a barony or else it reverts back to nomad control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Cease to Hope posted:

Oh that reminds me of another way nomads cheat:

Because all of your land except your capital is empty horse pasture, your enemies can't actually occupy it (or raid it) except when an army is physically standing on it. As soon as that army moves, the land counts as unoccupied again. Players can build a cheap fort there to occupy it permanently but NPC factions will almost never do this.

In real life, part of the problem actual nomadic societies had is that agrarian people would move into their grazing lands on the off-season and not recognize their ownership since nobody was there to enforce it. Instead, in CK2 nomads are even more of a pain in the rear end to invade because you have to win an all-out war then you have a limited time to build a barony or else it reverts back to nomad control.

Yeah it also makes it annoying to win wars against large enemy nomads as a nomad. Also, maybe it depends on how late the time period is and how plentiful gold is, but I've found that the AI absolutely does build forts in every single occupied province. Mind you, that still only gives them like a 0.1% warscore per occupied province so it's no biggie.
Nomads are supposed to make new clans and give away their "demesne" when they grow too big but you can completely circumvent that by simply having 9 clans (the maximum) with 1 province each. That way, no minor clan revolt (people rising up to create another clan) can happen and your vassal clans are too weak to do poo poo about you. And there's no penalty for holding too many counties like for feudals.
Oh yeah and they get a bunch of buildings that boost up their armies' strategic speed by like 60%.
In short, nomads are great.