Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Yureina posted:

My interest is in trying to figure out that question - the one about the future, and finding one that can lead to a peaceful resolution eventually. I feel that this question is not being sufficiently addressed in news media, political discourse, or online discussion - and so I chose to bring it up.

Israel isn't going to stop being genocidal on the strip because someone somewhere had a Good Idea on how to settle this. There have been many good ideas on how to deconflict the Palestinian occupation, dating back from long before you even wore diapers, and the fundamental issue has always been that the Israelis don't loving want to.

It needs to get across: any speculation on a non-genocidal end to the conflict is predicated on some hypothetical version of the Israelis, or at least the Israeli government, becoming reasonable on the subject of Gaza. If a configuration to make Israel have a Course of Action that was anything short of this existed it'd have been found by now. This kind of speculation is therefore a moronic waste of time because it creates a false ideation that if the right combination of factors were present, Israel could be "brought to its senses," and that's essentially not possible.

And to be clear, the Israeli goal is the occupation of Gaza, not the destruction of Hamas. "Destroying Hamas" is in of itself a non-sequitur: how do you destroy a disaggregated group with protected leadership in 3 different nations, with nebulous membership that's swelling by the day and has massive regional support? You don't. The closest thing you can do is take their territory, and that's the goal Israelis are demonstrably committed to rather than destroying Hamas' ability to operate or preventing further attacks. Notions that Israel has any sort of objective other than genocidal occupation is a fundamental misunderstanding of the conflict.

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

The state of israel must be treated like nazi Germany should have been. It must be dismantled, and the process shepherded by a truth and reconciliation commission that insures that no one with even the most remote connection to any structure of governmental power in israel, let alone the IDF, is ever within smelling distance of the position of neighborhood dog catcher, let alone a real level of power.

This isn't helpful either because an eliminationist stance on the state of Israel, however righteous it might seem, leads to them triggering the Samson Option and taking the world on a cavalcade of horrors that outstrips not only anything the Palestinians have suffered, but potentially anything we've ever seen before. Nuclear deterrence is the ironclad rule of the 21st century and so it's pointless imagining anything that violates it.

Israel must be negotiated with, the same as any other nuclear state has to be.

Which means they're going to commit mass crimes against humanity while the US, at best, makes the occasional window dressing statement about the Rules of War while aggrandizing their every conceivable interest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
How are we still in "but there are two sides to everything!" phase in this point of ongoing genocide?

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

The Sean posted:

Wow, you're even both-sidesing to the point of claiming Hamas is committing genocide.

Doesn’t Hamas’ founding documents, screeds from leaders etc., advocate genocide?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Inner Light posted:

Doesn’t Hamas’ founding documents, screeds from leaders etc., advocate genocide?

Arguable, but even if it did advocate genocide, Israel is actually doing it

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011
The founding documents of a political party are a pretty difficult way to infer their current objectives because political parties constantly adapt to pursue/retain power. Imagine if you tried to learn about the current state of American politics by reading the founding documents of the Republican and Democratic parties - totally unhelpful.

At best you can make some meaningful inferences about the pre-2020s direction of Hamas by comparing its original and 2017 charters. The 2017 charter gets rid of all the incitement against Jews-as-such and replaces it with more "we hate the Zionists, not the Jews" assurances. And iirc it also doesn't have the anti-feminist screeds, and heavily downplays/altogether erases any connection to the Muslim Brotherhood. It even begrudgingly accepts Israel's 1967 borders as an indefinite compromise.

This was a party that was being driven, by carrot and by stick, into more "normal"/"respectable" politics until Israel's diplomatic normalization with more of the Arab/Muslim world, particularly the Abraham Accords, made Hamas look like chumps to their own constituents, so they had to rapidly re-establish themselves as the center of the Palestinian resistance and the Palestinian question as the center of Middle East politics. And the only way for them to do this was spectacular violence.

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Mar 4, 2024

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

Inner Light posted:

AFAIK they dropped that. And also think of where Hamas arose.
It would be like chastising members of the Warsaw Ghetto Resistance for wanting to kill Nazi's.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Marenghi posted:

It would be like chastising members of the Warsaw Ghetto Resistance for wanting to kill Nazi's.

The correct analogy would be, "it would be like chastising members of the Warsaw Ghetto Resistance for perceiving all Germans, and German-ness itself, as their intractable enemies." I'm sure many of them did understand their struggle that way. In Night, Elie Weisel actually laments that Holocaust survivors didn't do more retributory violence against Germans, including sexual violence against German women.

Whether you want to judge them as bad people for feeling this way is a philosophical question that I personally find very boring. The important thing is that the whole line of thought is unproductive because ethnic-national-religious cohorts aren't the problem, the problem is a particular state and its venomous ideology. And if the party accumulates a sufficient amount of power then that ideological distraction-fixation can put innocent people in unnecessary danger.

In the big picture, it's completely correct to "chastise" a political movement for being unable to correctly articulate who its enemies even are - as in, to recognize it as a problem that holds the movement back from success.

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Mar 4, 2024

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
Genocide is bad, but the Palestinians, they weren't all angels.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Inner Light posted:

They did walk those back in more recent years, and they even suggested that a two-state solution could be acceptable as an initial compromise. But given the massively indiscriminate nature of the October incursion and their subsequent statement that they would repeat it until the destruction of Israel there can be little doubt that they've gone back to a genocidal position.
https://www.skynews.com.au/world-ne...0f20cddbbfb3f7a
If we take Hamas at their word they fully intend to perform another attack if a "permanent" ceasefire is reached, and indeed even if a two-state compromise arrived at via negotiation. Regardless of the morality of mass-murdering civilians this was a deeply unwise position for them to take, as it means that Israel is not going to accept any outcome in which Hamas continues to control the Gaza Strip regardless of any international pressure.

There is some suggestion that the exiled political leadership of Hamas is more moderate than the operational leadership that remains in Gaza (for example, Haniyeh has apparently accepted the possibility of Hamas completely disarming in exchange for statehood) but it seems unlikely that the politicians actually have any ability to control their fighters if they disagree.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you

Civilized Fishbot posted:

The correct analogy would be, "it would be like chastising members of the Warsaw Ghetto Resistance for perceiving all Germans, and German-ness itself, as their intractable enemies." I'm sure many of them did understand their struggle that way. In Night, Elie Weisel actually laments that Holocaust survivors didn't do more retributory violence against Germans, including sexual violence against German women.

Whether you want to judge them as bad people for feeling this way is a philosophical question that I personally find very boring. The important thing is that the whole line of thought is unproductive because ethnic-national-religious cohorts aren't the problem, the problem is a particular state and its venomous ideology. And if the party accumulates a sufficient amount of power then that ideological distraction-fixation can put innocent people in unnecessary danger.

In the big picture, it's completely correct to "chastise" a political movement for being unable to correctly articulate who its enemies even are - as in, to recognize it as a problem that holds the movement back from success.

I mean show me a resistance movement that wasn't a bit muddled in it's aims and inarticulate in who their enemies were during their founding year and ill give you a dollar.

And hey Hamas did get rid of the whole "kill the Jews" thing so they themselves have recognized it as a problem that held their movement back from success.

Esran
Apr 28, 2008

Irony Be My Shield posted:

But given the massively indiscriminate nature of the October incursion and their subsequent statement that they would repeat it until the destruction of Israel there can be little doubt that they've gone back to a genocidal position.

"We want the genocidal fascist settler state off our land" isn't actually a genocidal position. It's actually the only reasonable one, you can't coexist with such a state, because they won't let you.

It is perfectly possible to dissolve Israel and incorporate the population in Palestine without genociding anyone.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

Marenghi posted:

I mean show me a resistance movement that wasn't a bit muddled in it's aims and inarticulate in who their enemies were during their founding year and ill give you a dollar.

And hey Hamas did get rid of the whole "kill the Jews" thing so they themselves have recognized it as a problem that held their movement back from success.

Some of the founders of Mossad had a plan to kill six million germans as revenge for the Holocaust.

Which, you know. I get it. These people were out of their minds with grief and rage. It's probably for the best they didn't succeed, but I'm sure as gently caress not going to judge them.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Marenghi posted:

Yeah if you read the Wikipedia article about the charter, it keeps underlining that the whole thing was put together in a rush just to give some on-paper legitimacy to a rapidly evolving movement/party.

quote:

Yeah this is what I was trying to say about the two charters. It's one slice of evidence that Hamas was trying to transition into being a normal right-wing Muslim political party, administrating a normal right-wing Muslim state. But Israel and America were committed to stopping that transition - in fact Netanyahu's history of support for Hamas was based on the idea that their ideology made that transition impossible. So Hamas ended up in such a bad position that they started a huge war with the IDF to get out of it.

Ultimately I think the "Zionists, not Jews" update to the new charter was much less symbolically meaningful than heavily downplaying the Muslim Brotherhood association and basically admitting that they would take a deal based on the '67 borders.

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Mar 4, 2024

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Back when I still worked as a journalist, one of my jobs was translating Thomad Friedman pieces for our publication. I remember one, back in like 2005-6, that made me so loving angry I had to get up and away from my computer and go down to have a coffee and cool my head.

It was an op-ed in which he was detailing some of his recent travels. He opened with talking about how he visited a modern school in India and sat down with the kids in the Computer class and was blown away by how happy they were, how they all talked of wanting to start a business and make video games and visit America and all, and they had a grand time.

On the same trip, he apparently stopped by Palestine and also visited a school there. It was a squalid, cracked building and the kids he talked to were glum and despondent. When pressed about the future, they talked about either joining a brigade, maybe getting a work permit to be a mechanic or garbage collector in Israel, or vague stuff like 'look after my mom'.

It seemed like an earnest enough piece, if reeking of "here's how my vacation went" but made into a highly-paid op-ed.

And then he finished it with something like "The kids in India were full of hope and joy and dreams. The kids in Palestine were sag and lacking prospects. How can we make them more like the kids in India?"

And I remember thinking "Gee, I don't loving know, Thomas. Maybe because one of those groups of kids have a daily reality of living in an occupied, surrounded ghetto, and the others are in the workforce hub of the main trade route of globalization??"

I spent the better part of an hour wondering if he was so status quo-pilled he honestly could not see the difference, or of he was deliberately being obtuse and whiteashing the issue. 'These kids just have a loser mindset. Can't be helped.'

Of course, it being Friedman, there's decent odds it never happened and he just made it up, like his famous cab drivers that all have prepared pro-market sound bites for him as soon as he hops into the car.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you

Sephyr posted:

Of course, it being Friedman, there's decent odds it never happened and he just made it up, like his famous cab drivers that all have prepared pro-market sound bites for him as soon as he hops into the car.

I don't know how anyone treated his cab driver thesis with any seriousness. I've gotten cabs in my home city and if you listen to them the city has pockets of Sharia law and African ghettos which are no go areas for white people. Just complete nonsense by reactionary racists who spend their day reading far-right tabloids.

To think they are the ones to find the truth of a city can only be understood if you've never gotten a local cab and spoken to the driver for any amount of time. You don't even have to talk to them, they can't wait to tell you their fantasy views derived from tabloids and Facebook rumors.

Yureina
Apr 28, 2013

Yeap. I found this out recently. Really turns me off the Palestinian cause to find out they basically consist entirely of raging racists.

Esran posted:

It is perfectly possible to dissolve Israel and incorporate the population in Palestine without genociding anyone.

Who would carry out this dissolution?

Esran
Apr 28, 2008

Yureina posted:

Depends on who is capable of forcing terms on Israel.

Edit: I should add that I'm not saying this is likely to happen. I'm simply saying that calling for the political entity of Israel to be destroyed is not genocidal by itself.

Esran fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Mar 4, 2024

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you

Yureina posted:

Who dissolved Rhodesia and Apartheid South Africa.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Yureina posted:

Who wouldn't carry out this dissolution?

Just asking questions. Very helpful.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Marenghi posted:

I don't know how anyone treated his cab driver thesis with any seriousness. I've gotten cabs in my home city and if you listen to them the city has pockets of Sharia law and African ghettos which are no go areas for white people. Just complete nonsense by reactionary racists who spend their day reading far-right tabloids.

To think they are the ones to find the truth of a city can only be understood if you've never gotten a local cab and spoken to the driver for any amount of time. You don't even have to talk to them, they can't wait to tell you their fantasy views derived from tabloids and Facebook rumors.

And talk radio. All day driving around listening to insane people talking to other insane people.

My personal favourites are the taxi drivers who use their passengers like free therapists and spend the journey raving about how their horrid ex doesn't let him see the kids anymore and has turned them against him. What a joyous experience

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Civilized Fishbot posted:

This was a party that was being driven, by carrot and by stick, into more "normal"/"respectable" politics until Israel's diplomatic normalization with more of the Arab/Muslim world, particularly the Abraham Accords, made Hamas look like chumps to their own constituents, so they had to rapidly re-establish themselves as the center of the Palestinian resistance and the Palestinian question as the center of Middle East politics. And the only way for them to do this was spectacular violence.

So was Hamas in any real danger in losing power to Fatah or were they more worried of members splintering to form Nu Hamas

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

So was Hamas in any real danger in losing power to Fatah or were they more worried of members splintering to form Nu Hamas

Wasn't it more that Israel would normalize with the surrounding Arab countries and then do the slow simmer genocide or status quo of mowing the lawn in Gaza and West Bank land expropriation.

And the normalization was essentially the agreement to give up on the Palestinians for economic opportunities with Israel

Yureina
Apr 28, 2013

Yeap. I found this out recently. Really turns me off the Palestinian cause to find out they basically consist entirely of raging racists.

Esran posted:

Depends on who is capable of forcing terms on Israel.

Edit: I should add that I'm not saying this is likely to happen. I'm simply saying that calling for the political entity of Israel to be destroyed is not genocidal by itself.

True. A change in government is not necessarily genocidal by itself, though depending upon who carries it out it could very much end up in that direction. Naturally, such a change would need to be kept out of the hands of those with genocidal intent.

E2M2 posted:

Wasn't it more that Israel would normalize with the surrounding Arab countries and then do the slow simmer genocide or status quo of mowing the lawn in Gaza and West Bank land expropriation.

And the normalization was essentially the agreement to give up on the Palestinians for economic opportunities with Israel

Pretty much this. Hamas decided to attack now because Israel and the Saudis are getting closer to normalizing their relations, and a Saudi recognition of Israel would likely set the stage for other states to follow like the UAE or Oman. The main sticking point has been the Palestinians, but that is up in the air in Saudi Arabia itself. While the old guard there is pro-Palestinian, MBS doesn't give a gently caress. I know... shocker that a guy who hacks up journalists doesn't care about other people. It is the realization that growing isolation from other Arab states as more and more move to recognize Israel that likely pushed Hamas into action. It also explains the brutality of the Oct 7 attack - it was designed to make Israel overreact and so potentially screw up those efforts to normalize relations between Israel and the Saudis. Whether or not that will work remains to be seen, though if I had to guess MBS doesn't give a gently caress and is just waiting for this war to end to get back to the normalization.

Edit: Oh, someone bought me a title. Should I be flattered that someone is willing to spend money on me?

Yureina fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Mar 5, 2024

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...

E2M2 posted:

That accurate from my understanding. And yet I've heard that leveraged as an attack against Hamas. As if to say "see?!?! They're playing the game!" It goes along with the "good guy bad guy" narrative. "Ooh but it's more insidious than you know! These mfers are trying to influence geopolitics!!!!"

Anecdotal but i think it's important. How the gently caress can we talk to people about this? When you are already the enemy, any power you could potentially wield is an unacceptable threat. I feel if I were Ukrainian I'd want to fight to the man, really stand the gently caress up. We're certainly rara-ing it in the US. But a Palestinian wearing that is a terrorist.

Yureina
Apr 28, 2013

BRJurgis posted:

That accurate from my understanding. And yet I've heard that leveraged as an attack against Hamas. As if to say "see?!?! They're playing the game!" It goes along with the "good guy bad guy" narrative. "Ooh but it's more insidious than you know! These mfers are trying to influence geopolitics!!!!"

Anecdotal but i think it's important. How the gently caress can we talk to people about this? When you are already the enemy, any power you could potentially wield is an unacceptable threat. I feel if I were Ukrainian I'd want to fight to the man, really stand the gently caress up. We're certainly rara-ing it in the US. But a Palestinian wearing that is a terrorist.

People who would actually use that as an attack against Hamas must really be either naïve or just grasping at straws. Everybody plays the game, no exceptions.

As for a broader group of the population becoming more accepting of the Palestinian cause, I think that requires a long-term shift. You bring up Ukraine as an example of a cause that people can rally behind. In that example, it seems straight-forward to the casual observer. Ukraine was invaded by its big neighbor and is doing its best to try to fight back to preserve its independence. Attacks against targets within Russia have been limited to military-adjacent targets, and so people can't really make the argument that Ukraine is "just as bad" - usually attacks against pro-Ukraine tend to be more about the US and the "west" than Ukraine. Furthermore, the conflict between Russia and Ukraine is, when you get right down to it, a decolonization war. Ukraine has been a playground for empires for most of the last millennia, with Russia being the main actor. The only reason you don't see more comparisons of Russia/Ukraine to things like Britain/Ireland or France/Algeria is because people aren't used to seeing "white people" as the "victim/oppressed", and so there's some cognitive dissonance going on. So to the casual observer who doesn't have time to do deep research into an issue? Ukraine and Russia looks like an uncomplicated story between a "good side" and a "bad side".

Israel/Palestine on the other hand is very complicated, has a very long history, and, as my own involvement in this thread has shown, can be deeply unwelcoming to those who don't actively champion one side or the other. For a person trying to find a simple answer to the question "who are the goodies/baddies?", they are greeted with a clusterfuck of conflicting messages. If they go to a pro-Israeli space, that person is told about persecution, genocide, terrorism, massacres, and more. If they go to a pro-Palestinian space, that person is told about apartheid, ethnic cleansing, genocide, settlements, and more. With there being so much of a conflicting narrative, a person walking in without knowledge or a clear stance either is pressured into picking a side, or just throw up their hands, say its "too messy" and walk away.

So, if you want to get people to accept your perspective? The story needs to be made to appear less messy. To you, who is deeply involved in research and discussions about this subject, it may not appear messy to you at all. You may have chosen who to support, and so everything is settled for you. But your average person is not like that. They don't have the time or inclination to devote themselves to researching all of the history or knowing every detail of every event of every thing that has happened. You need to gradually take those people in and, over time, persuade them of your perspective. You do not attack them for seeming uncommitted, since that puts people on the defensive and may very well get you the opposite of your intended result.

Yureina fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Mar 5, 2024

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

three things

1) good post

2) it cannot be overstated how much of the popular support of ukraine comes from ukrainians appearing to be nominally white

3) it cannot be overstated how much of the popular support of israel comes from this conflict having been kicked off by some brown people doing a terrorist attack on the nominally white israelis

Yureina
Apr 28, 2013

Kith posted:

three things

1) good post

2) it cannot be overstated how much of the popular support of ukraine comes from ukrainians appearing to be nominally white

3) it cannot be overstated how much of the popular support of israel comes from this conflict having been kicked off by some brown people doing a terrorist attack on the nominally white israelis

For my part, I don't like to just assume people are racists unless they explicitly make it clear that race is a factor in their decision-making. Calling someone a racist tends to escalate things dramatically, and if it turns out the accusation was unwarranted? All you did was make an enemy out of someone. This might just be my perspective though. To give a bit of a personal bit? I'm a dual American-Canadian citizen with a last name that gives the impression that I have a Polish-Jewish background from my dad, whose own dad had that background.... except my dad's mom had an affair with a Danish guy, and so my dad isn't actually Polish or Jewish at all - even before you get into that eugenics poo poo about how "you're not a real Jew if your mom wasn't Jewish". In other words, I don't have a dedicated ethnic or religious identity and never really have - and so I tend not to see things in racial terms because I don't really have a "side" of my own. This has always made me feel ill-equipped when it comes to race issues, because no matter what? I'm an outsider.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

quote:

Israel/Palestine on the other hand is very complicated, has a very long history, and, as my own involvement in this thread has shown, can be deeply unwelcoming to those who don't actively champion one side or the other.

It is not complicated.

DeadmansReach
Mar 7, 2006
Thinks Jewish converts should be genocided to make room for the "real" Jews.

Put this anti-Semite on ignore immediately!

Yureina posted:

For my part, I don't like to just assume people are racists

Yureina posted:

I'm a dual American-Canadian citizen

Here's your problem.

Jai Guru Dave
Jan 3, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 19 days!)

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

It is not complicated.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Yureina posted:

I'm going to follow up on this one since it is the closest to a serious reply.

My concern is long-term viability. Speaking of Gaza for a moment, we are talking about a very tiny piece of land devoid of natural resources. The only real thing it has is population, which even without war and blockade would struggle to sustain itself without outside assistance. You cannot build a viable long-term state without future prospects, and so such prospects need to be created. There are potential models for this, of course, since we have numerous resource-poor nations who have managed to make things work out quite well for themselves such as Japan, South Korea, or indeed Israel. What Gaza needs, I think, is some kind of industry or economic project to transform it into a nation that can grow, sustain itself, and provide a future for its people. Something that Gaza can export, acquire currency from, and so be able to give its people growth. Without any prospects for improvement or development, then Gaza is left as it is now: an open-air prison where food and bombs go in, and rockets and terrorism come out. There needs to be an eye to the future - otherwise this is never going to end.

Of course, such an idea will require the violence to be put to an end and for there to be at least some period of detente. Obviously this is way easier said than done: there is some serious bad blood here going back decades. It is quite clear that there are people who need to be removed from the picture. The leadership in Israel that quietly funded Hamas and are exploiting this war to push for a one-state solution need to be removed, tried, and imprisoned for their actions. The leadership of Hamas who carried out the Oct 7 attack and who have made it clear that they too are after a one-state solution will also need to be removed, tried, and imprisoned for their actions. The minions on both sides who have carried out the will of their leaders in support of these criminal goals will also need to be dealt with. There will almost certainly have to be some kind of international force to help rebuild Gaza and prevent another outbreak of violence - The Israelis alone clearly aren't qualified for this task. Such a project would take a sustained effort, quite a bit of money, and require quick action against malefactors that would seek to ruin things. But if it can be made to work? Then you might be able to create something that can last into the long-term.

Of course, if people would prefer to continue their forever war until we get a full genocide of one side or the other? Then it would make sense why people like me who hope for a proper, peaceful two-state solution would get told to gently caress off.

I think the first thing I’d say is that all the economic problems and concerns you have are good problems to have. If we get to the point where the issue is how should the Gazan economy in the new free Palestine be supported, we’ve advanced a hell of a long way from “How do we stop this genocide”. Let’s focus on the more important things for the moment, though I would note that a Palestinian state would also end Gaza being an enclave. All peace plans have involved discussions of a link between Gaza and the West Bank running through Israel and the establishment of a peace would also open up the opportunity for cross-border migration with people living in Gaza but commuting to work in Egypt or Israel.

Yureina posted:

People who would actually use that as an attack against Hamas must really be either naïve or just grasping at straws. Everybody plays the game, no exceptions.

As for a broader group of the population becoming more accepting of the Palestinian cause, I think that requires a long-term shift. You bring up Ukraine as an example of a cause that people can rally behind. In that example, it seems straight-forward to the casual observer. Ukraine was invaded by its big neighbor and is doing its best to try to fight back to preserve its independence. Attacks against targets within Russia have been limited to military-adjacent targets, and so people can't really make the argument that Ukraine is "just as bad" - usually attacks against pro-Ukraine tend to be more about the US and the "west" than Ukraine. Furthermore, the conflict between Russia and Ukraine is, when you get right down to it, a decolonization war. Ukraine has been a playground for empires for most of the last millennia, with Russia being the main actor. The only reason you don't see more comparisons of Russia/Ukraine to things like Britain/Ireland or France/Algeria is because people aren't used to seeing "white people" as the "victim/oppressed", and so there's some cognitive dissonance going on. So to the casual observer who doesn't have time to do deep research into an issue? Ukraine and Russia looks like an uncomplicated story between a "good side" and a "bad side".

Israel/Palestine on the other hand is very complicated, has a very long history, and, as my own involvement in this thread has shown, can be deeply unwelcoming to those who don't actively champion one side or the other. For a person trying to find a simple answer to the question "who are the goodies/baddies?", they are greeted with a clusterfuck of conflicting messages. If they go to a pro-Israeli space, that person is told about persecution, genocide, terrorism, massacres, and more. If they go to a pro-Palestinian space, that person is told about apartheid, ethnic cleansing, genocide, settlements, and more. With there being so much of a conflicting narrative, a person walking in without knowledge or a clear stance either is pressured into picking a side, or just throw up their hands, say its "too messy" and walk away.

So, if you want to get people to accept your perspective? The story needs to be made to appear less messy. To you, who is deeply involved in research and discussions about this subject, it may not appear messy to you at all. You may have chosen who to support, and so everything is settled for you. But your average person is not like that. They don't have the time or inclination to devote themselves to researching all of the history or knowing every detail of every event of every thing that has happened. You need to gradually take those people in and, over time, persuade them of your perspective. You do not attack them for seeming uncommitted, since that puts people on the defensive and may very well get you the opposite of your intended result.

Is isn’t very complicated though?

War crimes are inexcusable and both Israel and Hamas are in the wrong when they carry them out. Being in the right in terms of the reason for why you’re fighting doesn’t give you a right ignore international law in terms of how you fight.

In terms of the overall relationship and goals though, Israel is in the wrong. It’s the oppressor that has been ethnically cleansing and subjugating the Palestinians for decades. The Palestinian goal is freedom from oppression. There is a clear legal just solution which has overwhelming international support and just needs pressure on Israel to get it implemented.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
You could fairly argue that the over-arching decades-long conflict is "complicated".

But the situation as it is right now is not complicated at all. One side is mass-murdering civilians directly with weapons and indirectly with starvation, poor quality water, and forced movement.
Opining about overall solutions, whether one-state or two-state is like holding discussions about how to improve morale at the factory when it's currently on fire. And it's management that set it on fire. And they're currently firing hoses of gasoline all over it.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

ATTN: the quote block contains a lot of stupid poo poo played straight for the sake of explanation. i am presenting these viewpoints in this way because frankly it's just easier, i do not agree with them in any way because while i am stupid, i am not THAT stupid.

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

It is not complicated.

quote:

you're right, it's not complicated at all! especially when you're talking to americans, who most still remember 9/11 as an incident where the peaceful nation was minding its own business was suddenly subject to unprovoked terrorist attacks, which incited a righteous war of retribution that 'maybe' ran a little too long but was ultimately a good thing because look at all of the bad guys we killed. and we even got saddam hussein and osama bin laden!

so now we've got a situation where, prior to oct 7th, most folks did not know or care about the situation between israel and palestine. maybe they've heard something about gaza being the world's largest open-air prison, but who really gives a poo poo? all of that stuff is over there, and we're over here. it doesn't matter. and even if someone DID happen to hear something, isn't israel just trying to exist? they're a defensive state formed in response to antisemitism and they went through the holocaust, we should have pity on them because they're the plucky underdogs. plus, there are some bad guys who keep shooting rockets at them for no reason! completely unprovoked, israel is just sitting there minding their own business! the US went so far as to design them a special missile defense system, so that means israel is our friend and therefore DEFINITELY the good guys.

so then oct 7th rolls around, and holy poo poo are you loving kidding me? the bad guys weren't satisfied with constantly shooting rockets at cities, they just HAD to bypass millions of dollars of defensive military hardware so they could attack a music festival and gun down scores of innocent people because their bloodlust wasn't sated by random attacks anymore, they had to get down and dirty and kill civilians firsthand. do you understand how messed up and evil that is? what are they going to escalate to next? it's totally understandable that israel would want to get rid of them, even if a few bystanders get caught in the crossfire - especially since many of those bystanders are convenient human shields at best and outright collaborators at worst. the US did the same thing in the middle east, and we won, so what's the trouble? they'll win eventually, and they seem to be making great progress so far, so we won't have to hear about it for very long.

jesus christ that made me physically ill.

anyway.

as much as we'd love for it to not be the case, you must remember that the vast majority of people are opinionated, uninformed, and incurious. they are the lowest common denominator that wants things to conform to a simple narrative so they can easily take the right side, and according to most available facts, this is that story. anything that tries to add nuance or detail beyond that is "complicating" things, even if the actual explanation (hamas attacked out of desperation because palestinians have been slowly genocided for years and now israel is taking advantage of the opportunity to rapidly genocide them) is much shorter and much simpler.

these are the people that the propaganda worked on. any story that isn't the one they already know is too complicated for them.

Kith fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Mar 5, 2024

Esran
Apr 28, 2008

Yureina posted:

Maybe you should stop speaking authoritatively on a conflict you clearly aren't informed on?

You're claiming that Ukraine is simple and just a straightforward decolonization war. Palestine, a region that was literally a colony of the Ottomans, then the British and is now being slowly annexed by Israel, oh that's just so very complicated.

A likely reason someone might view these conflicts this way is due to western media coverage. For Ukraine-Russia, you're told that Russia are the bad guys, and you know that they invaded and that they did some war crimes, so it's easy to see as a black and white conflict where one side are just bad, and the other is good. For Israel-Gaza, you are told that Hamas are the bad guys, but you can very clearly see Israel murdering, starving and torturing the Palestinians, and so the explanation that Israel are just defending themselves is hard to accept. So you seek comfort in "Well, it's complicated" because that's easier than grappling with the idea that the entire western press and political machinery is lying to you.

There's may also be an aspect of cultural context to this assumption of simplicity. You might think Israel-Palestine is complicated because you have access to pro-Israeli spaces, and those spaces speak your language, and many of them exist specifically to appeal to Americans or other English-speakers. Those spaces also exist for Russia, but their audience tends to not be American.

The reason you're getting a "deeply unwelcoming" reception is that instead of lurking a bit, or asking for some background information, you walk in and start giving uninformed opinions on how Gaza should just find a niche in capitalism and bootstraps their way to prosperity. Everyone informed on the conflict knows that this is not an option, Israel won't allow it, and so people tell you that what you're saying is stupid, because it is.

On the question of "who are the goodies/baddies?", it's really not that complicated. The baddies are the racist settler ethnostate that's currently committing a genocide, but were trying to strangle Palestine for decades before that. You don't need encyclopedic knowledge of the conflict to understand what is happening right now. All extra background knowledge would add is an understanding of what the Israeli project is, and confirmation that behavior like this from Israel is not an aberration, which should make you even more convinced they're the baddies.

Esran fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Mar 5, 2024

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Yureina posted:

this thread has shown, can be deeply unwelcoming to those who don't actively champion one side or the other.

What's unwelcome is "just asking questions." As someone has already said, do some research and get educated before you take positions* or make what you seem are informed statements.

Giving you the best of faith: you may not know but "just asking questions" is a fascist tactic that 1) lets someone imply a statement and 2) gives them an out when pressured ("don't be mean, I was just asking").

And for my asterisk above, "just asking questions" often has a rhetorical goal in mind already that is obscured by "i'm not saying it's this way, I'm saying ~who knows~" when in fact the question is saying "things are this way." It gives a cowardly way out when pushed back (kind of like how you assume your posts have to be welcomed with 100% love and understanding like a parent or elementary school teacher would provide).

So, if you're honestly just asking questions don't imbed your question around things that are obviously you taking a position. If you're dishonestly asking, it seems pretty obvious and that is why you don't feel welcome. So far it seems like you have a position and are using the JAQ as a crutch whether you are doing so purposefully or not.

edit: also

Yureina posted:

You do not attack them for seeming uncommitted, since that puts people on the defensive and may very well get you the opposite of your intended result.

If that's not you, then you should be fine with all this feedback that you've been given (from others, as well) and you'll be welcomed. If it is you, I hope this message is received.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

edit: I gave a case for a person being good faith. I outlined this extremely specifically. You're violating the rules by assuming I'm bad faith, you pervert Koos.

The Sean fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Mar 12, 2024

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

i don't think they're JAQing, the tone doesn't seem right to me. they seem genuinely uninformed, and have even mentioned valid reasons as to why they might be.

plus assumption of JAQing is against the D&D rules. all things in good faith and etc

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Kith posted:

i don't think they're JAQing, the tone doesn't seem right to me. they seem genuinely uninformed, and have even mentioned valid reasons as to why they might be.

plus assumption of JAQing is against the D&D rules. all things in good faith and etc

And that's why I gave two scenarios and presented a case assuming the best of faith to explain why they weren't well-received (which was something they stated to be bothered about).

I did not make a specific assumption and only reply to that.

I think for someone who is acting in good faith that contrast would be valuable to explain why it could be interpreted as bad faith. That could be a valuable thing to learn for someone really looking to get up to speed on this topic of discussion.

The Sean fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Mar 6, 2024

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

The Sean posted:

And that's why I gave two scenarios and presented a case assuming the best of faith to explain why they weren't well-received (which was something they stated to be bothered about).

I did not make a specific assumption and only reply to that.

I think for someone who is acting in good faith that contrast would be valuable to explain why it could be interpreted as bad faith. That could be a valuable thing to learn for someone really looking to get up to speed on this topic of discussion.

oh yeah you're fine, i was just idly sharing my thoughts

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Yureina posted:

True. A change in government is not necessarily genocidal by itself, though depending upon who carries it out it could very much end up in that direction. Naturally, such a change would need to be kept out of the hands of those with genocidal intent.

Good point. They'd have to legally exclude any zionists from holding office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yureina
Apr 28, 2013

team overhead smash posted:

I think the first thing I’d say is that all the economic problems and concerns you have are good problems to have. If we get to the point where the issue is how should the Gazan economy in the new free Palestine be supported, we’ve advanced a hell of a long way from “How do we stop this genocide”. Let’s focus on the more important things for the moment, though I would note that a Palestinian state would also end Gaza being an enclave. All peace plans have involved discussions of a link between Gaza and the West Bank running through Israel and the establishment of a peace would also open up the opportunity for cross-border migration with people living in Gaza but commuting to work in Egypt or Israel.

True enough. The posts I have been making in this thread about "what comes after" have gone with the assumption that the bombs will stop falling (a safe assumption, unless Israel literally can change the weather patterns to make it automatically rain bombs on Gaza for all time), and so that there would be a pause that would allow things to move forward. I was actually catching up on some things earlier, and I remember seeing the mention of that corridor between Gaza and the West Bank as one of the proposals at Camp David. Alas it seems that everything went to hell after that, though I am hearing conflicting messages as to why, and apparently nobody wrote anything down? I was alive and conscious when all of those events were taking place, but it has been a long time since I looked into the specifics about that stuff.

As for that larger post I made, you will note that it was in response to someone asking a question:

BRJurgis posted:

This poster was asking for advice on how to talk about this conflict with other people - specifically from a US perspective since they imply that they are living in the US. So I wrote my response accordingly by expressing how, to a casual observer from the US, Ukraine looks simple (big country attacks small country they used to own) compared to Israel-Palestine (these two are always killing each other). I made a point of not putting in my personal opinion on either of these conflicts. My goal was to try to answer this poster's question, with the gist of my answer being that it takes time to gradually get someone informed about this conflict. Since Israel-Palestine tends to look very complicated and messy to your casual observer in the US, you have to guide them towards resources and information so that they are able to learn, form their own thoughts, and so be able to ask questions or have a discussion about the conflict. If you want to talk to normal people about Israel-Palestine who are not knowledgeable about the conflict, then you need to help educate them. If your response to the question "What's going on with this mess?" is to insult them for their ignorance or yell at them for not immediately having the same opinions as you do, then that is counter-productive. This is not rocket science: if you want to get people to side with you, don't treat them like poo poo.

And relating to that...

Esran posted:

A likely reason someone might view these conflicts this way is due to western media coverage.

This was literally what my post was about : how to talk about the Israel-Palestine conflict with someone whose main sources of information tend to be from western media sources.

I've been trying to ignore this, but my patience is starting to run thin. The problem that you and other posters in this thread seem to have is that you assume that I waltzed into this thread with some sort of agenda that I'm guiding people towards. In other words, that I am acting in bad faith. Now, it has already been stated that it is against the D&D rules to go and assume someone is acting in bad faith, but that hasn't stopped people from doing it. Someone even went out of their way to buy me a forum title, which still kinda floors me a bit that someone actually cares enough to spend :10bux: on me to do that. Do I have my own positions and opinions on Israel-Palestine? Of course. Everyone has at least some opinion. But the posts I have been making have not been about me expressing that "I think killing civilians is evil" or "Palestine deserves a future". If I wanted to just scream at people about the crimes being committed, I'd just do that.

But what does that add to the conversation? Another voice in the echo chamber? While that might have gotten me some praise by taking the uncontroversial stance that "killing innocent people is bad" (because it absolutely is), that didn't seem worth doing to me. Instead I posted about my wondering about what should come next after the hot conflict is over. Is that looking ahead of the immediate moment when other serious issues are at hand? Yes. But to me it felt like it was a conversation that was not being had enough, since the gist of online discourse about this conflict has been people screaming at each other. Again, that does not interest me. As for my own personal interest in a discussion about "what comes next?" That's exactly what it is. I like to think about the course of events and where things might go. It really is that simple. I could just as easily have a very similar conversation about Russia-Ukraine, but this is the Israel-Palestine thread so I'm not going to derail things.

Now, if you think me trying to look ahead of the immediate moment isn't worth the time? That's fine. I don't agree with you, but that's fine. But while there have been one or two posts expressing that, most of the rest have been trolling. To be honest it feels like those people are just trying to get me into a fight, based on the assumption that I am not "on their side" or am acting in bad faith. Those people seem to think that I am some kind of closet pro-Israel/Trumper/fascist/etc, which is why I'm getting responses like this cartoon:

Maybe some of you are just way too used to dealing with bad faith actors. I understand that: I certainly have had my fill of dealing with online shitheads over the years. But as stated in the forum rules? Assuming that someone is a bad faith actor is not okay here. I thought that was the case, and so I entered this thread based upon the assumption that I'd be dealing with people in good faith. I know that I am not a scholar in all things Israel-Palestine, and so I expected some pushback if I made some factual errors. But then I could correct it and things could move on. But with the way these conversations have been going? I'm getting pretty close to writing this thread off. For those of you who think this series of posts ends in a fight with me and you getting to beat on the covert fash/Trumper? That's not how this story will end. It ends with me walking away after having tried my best to engage, but finding that I'm just dealing with a bunch of assholes.

Edit for typo.

Yureina fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Mar 6, 2024