Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

What do you want to do? Who do you want to be?

e: derail snipes are the worst sorry, have some old Wyse/Dynix library terminals, I legit miss these. Aside from messing around with ascii art on them I did guess the admin password at my school ("DEWEY") which made me feel like a l33t hax0r for 5 minutes, they changed it by the next day.

meanwhile my local library used physical cards for everything right up until the 2000s.

The Sausages has a new favorite as of 00:17 on Jan 14, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

This is a very cool and good detail for this thread, good job all around, guys

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

The Sausages posted:

meanwhile my local library used physical cards for everything right up until the 2000s.

This is the worst thing that has ever happened to the digital forensics community. It's not encryption, cloud services, or the increase in mobile device security. It's that we can no longer make a great analogy with the recovery of deleted data by comparing it to removing library index cards but leaving the book on the shelf until that space is needed for a new book.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

The Sausages posted:

Card catalog memory unlocked, for some reason my brain just assumed that we all wandered around libraries looking for books until you posted this

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

My old library was apparently the second one to get an installation of what's now the dominant electronic library system in Norway? Huh. It's annoying that I can't find any pictures, but I liked the amber terminals they had when I was there as a kid. Something like a Wyse Wy-150, maybe?

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

The Sausages posted:

e: derail snipes are the worst sorry, have some old Wyse/Dynix library terminals, I legit miss these. Aside from messing around with ascii art on them I did guess the admin password at my school ("DEWEY") which made me feel like a l33t hax0r for 5 minutes, they changed it by the next day.

My high school used these until well into the 2000s. They were slow and frustrating to use but good news, they were replaced by some browser-based bullshit that was much slower and even more frustrating to use.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
My high school library had some sort of amber terminals that would crash about every 3rd request. I was a library nerd and knew to just hit the reset button and hope. One day the IT guy was just 100% convinced that they had the Michelangelo virus:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michelangelo_(computer_virus)

he got real mad when i slammed that reset button

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

There was no infection.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

The Sausages posted:

These were extremely good and I regret their loss every time I use the godawful browser-based catalogs at libraries these days.

Fond memories of sitting at the catalog desk in my little branch library, tracking down Discworld books to request via ILL. Amberpos forever.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

as a non librarian I didn't really notice the gradual death of the card catalog, but I'm sure someone will explain what was lost in the transition to computer cataloging.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

By popular demand posted:

as a non librarian I didn't really notice the gradual death of the card catalog, but I'm sure someone will explain what was lost in the transition to computer cataloging.

Cards, mostly.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
The like one time in my life I had to use the card catalog (or maybe two times, I swear there was a card catalog puzzle in a Monkey Island game?) it was so hard precisely because I grew up in an area where they had already digitized access by the mid 1980s so I was probably technically using the Internet even earlier than I normally claim

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

By popular demand posted:

Card catalogs aren't a better way to find specific things, but they can be a much better way to find new things. It's another way to browse every book the library has, organized by category

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Why would you ever want to find new things, here in the tech relics thread

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

I miss card catalogs and wish I owned enough books to make a personal one worth the effort.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Desert Bus posted:

I miss card catalogs and wish I owned enough books to make a personal one worth the effort.

I try to avoid buying physical books if they are something that I can read on a Kindle but I still collect books that don't really work as ebooks or are out of print specifically Photography, Cooking and Firearms books. I use a site/app called Libib to track what's in my collection with separate libraries for each topic.

I also use Discogs for Vinyl and Gameye for Video Games.

While a card catalog would be neat the fact that I can pull up my collections in their respective apps/websites on the go is a godsend to make sure I'm not buying duplicates of something I already have. If you really wanted to you could export your Libib collection as an Excel file and then mail merge print it onto index cards and have a card catalog. Then just make cards for the books you add as you go....

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
not sure where to put this but goddamn it's intense
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDGdPE_C9u8

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

LifeSunDeath posted:

not sure where to put this but goddamn it's intense
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDGdPE_C9u8

EVE Online is one of the sponsors :thumbsup:

Just embracing the meme

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

EVIL Gibson posted:

EVE Online is one of the sponsors :thumbsup:

Just embracing the meme

lol perfect

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xubbVvKbUfY

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

History Comes Inside! posted:

Why would you ever want to find new things, here in the tech relics thread

:golfclap:

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

my turn in the barrel posted:

I try to avoid buying physical books if they are something that I can read on a Kindle but I still collect books that don't really work as ebooks or are out of print specifically Photography, Cooking and Firearms books. I use a site/app called Libib to track what's in my collection with separate libraries for each topic.

I also use Discogs for Vinyl and Gameye for Video Games.

While a card catalog would be neat the fact that I can pull up my collections in their respective apps/websites on the go is a godsend to make sure I'm not buying duplicates of something I already have. If you really wanted to you could export your Libib collection as an Excel file and then mail merge print it onto index cards and have a card catalog. Then just make cards for the books you add as you go....

Apparently the CueCat is great for scanning books and that's about all these days.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CueCat

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Desert Bus posted:

Apparently the CueCat is great for scanning books and that's about all these days.

I bought one on eBay around 10 years ago that had been modified to output barcodes as text. Worked pretty well.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Right now my collection is sorted roughly by author, how much i like them, size, and potential secondary market value?

My big worry is cheap shelves collapsing under the weight of all that paper. Some of these books are like half a tree, and wood is heavy.

Don't be me, buy good shelves BEFORE you start collecting fist edition hardcovers.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Desert Bus posted:

I used to leave mine behind my PC so that it was a tether light I could use when I needed to crawl under my desk and plug in cables.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I use a Cue Cat to quickly and easily pay any paper invoices I still get. "Oh you can just use your phone camera and the banking app willNO, NO YOU CAN'T."

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

It's a solid piece of tech in a funny form that doesn't really work for the intended purpose anymore.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Did it ever work for its intended purpose? I never encountered a CueCat barcode outside of the documentation that came with them.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

For what it's worth you can get secondhand purpose-specific USB barcode scanners like they use at retail stores for $10-15 shipped on Ebay, that's what I got when I decided a while back to keep track of my books. Works great
except for all the books that predate ISBNs and barcodes :negative:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
What's the ISBN for De Historia Piscium?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Porfiriato posted:

For what it's worth you can get secondhand purpose-specific USB barcode scanners like they use at retail stores for $10-15 shipped on Ebay, that's what I got when I decided a while back to keep track of my books. Works great
except for all the books that predate ISBNs and barcodes :negative:

I think that answers the question I was about to ask: Does a CueCat have any possible benefits over a used Motorola or whatever, or is the only benefit that they were and remain very cheap?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Since we're talking library management here, I want to derail a little bit to ask if anybody knows of good digital library management software which actually concerns itself with managing the files too. I want to be organize PDFs and ebooks with something that'll allow full-text searching. A nice UI is less important than good metadata & indexing.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Pham Nuwen posted:

Since we're talking library management here, I want to derail a little bit to ask if anybody knows of good digital library management software which actually concerns itself with managing the files too. I want to be organize PDFs and ebooks with something that'll allow full-text searching. A nice UI is less important than good metadata & indexing.

Calibre?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Is the correct answer.
https://calibre-ebook.com/

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Calibre is very good, when I was on my kindle a lot I used it to manage my books. It's got a plugin / process to bring in books I bought from Google Play and let me send them to the kindle, which I used a lot

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Wasn't aware it does fulltext search, I've been using it for years to manage books on my kindle so I'll explore a little deeper, thanks!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Computer viking posted:

I think that answers the question I was about to ask: Does a CueCat have any possible benefits over a used Motorola or whatever, or is the only benefit that they were and remain very cheap?

It's small and lightweight? And powered from USB.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGbHD65z4Ak

“The Windows 95 core energy emanating off of this could kill a medieval peasant instantly.” (19:55)

:v:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I have Calibre set up to decrypt my Kindle books that I download from Amazon. So they're mine forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Pham Nuwen posted:

Wasn't aware it does fulltext search, I've been using it for years to manage books on my kindle so I'll explore a little deeper, thanks!

Yeah there’s an option in there somewhere that’s disabled by default for indexing the contents of everything you add to the library, once that’s on and it’s had the time to do its thing you should be good to go.

The only thing calibre can’t do that I wish it could is set up collections for a kindle. It can do it with plugins and a jailbroken device running an associated collection management homebrew, but I upgraded to a nice new paperwhite last year and it’s not on an exploitable firmware so I’m stuck doing it the hard way with the kindle’s clunky UI.