Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car

DominoDancing posted:

Uh, how can someone NOT like Mel and Sue on Bake Off, they are so adorable! Anyway, not sure where the hate for Jordan comes from. His bakes weren't great, but so far I've never felt the need to wish death upon someone for that.

I liked when they seemed to gently caress off for a couple of years and now they are back with a vengeance because of bake off's success. Mel and sue are one of those odd anomalies of British entertainment where they've been around for seemingly forever, aren't that exceptional, haven't done much high profile stuff and yet they always pop up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gorki
Aug 9, 2014
I can't remember TV without Mel and Sue. I thought they were a couple for the longest time.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches
Anyone catch Touch of Cloth 3? Some of the visual gags were awesome

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

The Big Taff Man posted:

Guns: The end with the hole in it points away! was a favourite

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

Total Meatlove posted:

Guns: The end with the hole in it points away! was a favourite

I like Karren Gillan walking past a sign that said "New around here? It could happen on your first day." with a pic of someone being taken hostage, then her being taken hostage. Plus she pissed herself and then later when they were talking about it a guy says "At least you didnt piss yourself" and she pulls a face.

Feel like going back and watching again

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

awesome, when does it come out?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

awesome, when does it come out?

Tonight, 9pm on BBC2.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car
I liked the bit where james may hate to categorically state he was not a nazi.

Pity clarkson didn't host it as he probably would have left it a bit more ambiguous

HauntedRobot
Jun 22, 2002

an excellent mod
a simple map to my heart
now give me tilt shift

The Big Taff Man posted:

I thought I'd heard every expression for ejaculation possible until this episode gave us "barking your Yop".

gorki
Aug 9, 2014
I recently uncovered a gem called Ghostwatch: a 1992 BBC horror film that is presented as a Michael Parkinson live documentary. It is one of the most bizarre things I have ever watched and I can't really do it justice with words. I'm sure many of you know it, but I'd be remiss if I didn't post about it in case anyone here hasn't. It really is golden.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkWNdNPWFRo the best film trailer you will see in your life (becomes hilariously :nws: just after 1:50)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHVqzRyaByM whole thing

This was apparently shown on Belgian TV in 2008 and I would love to know what in the gently caress they made of it.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I think the BBC got a bit of flak for it (goes without saying, the BBC will always be criticized) for not making it clear that it was fiction and badly scaring some people, despite it being screened on Halloween.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
I can't work out if Come Dine With Me: The Couples is superior to the original or not. What do my fellow goons of make of it?

gorki
Aug 9, 2014

Mr. Squishy posted:

I think the BBC got a bit of flak for it (goes without saying, the BBC will always be criticized) for not making it clear that it was fiction and badly scaring some people, despite it being screened on Halloween.

That's amazing. I really hope they played that 2 minute clip during that week's Points of View.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

Mr. Squishy posted:

Ten seconds in the writer is identified as such on screen, and the end credits tell us the name of the actor who played the ghost. gently caress, people are stupid at times.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Semprini posted:

Ten seconds in the writer is identified as such on screen, and the end credits tell us the name of the actor who played the ghost. gently caress, people are stupid at times.

when you're 12 years old, as I was when I watched it, I believed that it was true. A few years back, I got the DVD, and there's a few decent scares in the second half but it's showing it's age badly. Also the ending with Parkinson is unintentionally hilarious

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I'd love to read some of the tabloid criticism of Ghostwatch. Looking at wikipedia, a couple of kids supposedly got PTSD from watching it, and one 18 year old with learning difficulties killed himself because his pipes were making noises after the show and he thought the ghosts were after him.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
What is with the wanky distracting modern music riffs going on in Our World War?

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Semprini posted:

and also, everyone involved is a terrible actor, even a young me realised what was happening

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
Ok it was 92 maybe I wasn't that young, ahem.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Since we're talking about old BBC horror I really liked The Stone tape when I watched it years ago. Atmospheric, clever, good fun. I think the people behind also did the spectacularly named The Year of the Sex Olympics which is a classic that I really need to see. Also good: The Quatermass series, Hammer House of Horror tv show and uh... probably some other stuff.

SeanBeansShako posted:

What is with the wanky distracting modern music riffs going on in Our World War?

The people who laid down their lives were just like you! If they'd have had the chance to listen to the Undertones they probably would have!

Mr. Squishy fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Aug 11, 2014

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

That doesn't excuse the stomach churning shakey cam running dude. That is just awful to look at. War is hell alright.

gorki
Aug 9, 2014

stickyfngrdboy posted:

and also, everyone involved is a terrible actor, even a young me realised what was happening

I just love how Parky and that lady are struggling so valiantly to suppress laughter. How many takes must it have taken for them not to be pissing themselves? Who decided to make the demon a big Yorkshire shithouse of a man who's dead proud of his council house and swims around the world twatting sharks?! Oh, this is just the best TV relic I think I've ever found :shobon:

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Semprini posted:

:eng101:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILQmWal2Dus

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back

HauntedRobot posted:

I thought I'd heard every expression for ejaculation possible until this episode gave us "barking your Yop".

Sounds like it could have been borrowed from @TheBig_Sam or Roger's Profanisaurus but it deserves a wider audience for sure.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Getting around to catching up with Cloth, And I got to say it is bloody impressive. Not only the pace it keeps up but the amount of visual gags would make the guys who wrote Naked Gun want to lie down in a dark room for a few minutes.

Brilliant stuff.

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner

Semprini posted:

There's some people who still think Alternative 3 was real, despite featuring the fat Colonel from Allo Allo

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

gorki posted:

I just love how Parky and that lady are struggling so valiantly to suppress laughter. How many takes must it have taken for them not to be pissing themselves? Who decided to make the demon a big Yorkshire shithouse of a man who's dead proud of his council house and swims around the world twatting sharks?! Oh, this is just the best TV relic I think I've ever found :shobon:

That clip's a redubbed spoof, dude. That's not the real voice they used.

Original: http://vimeo.com/62986701

I love Ghostwatch. Some of the acting is terrible, particularly the girls and the mother(they all act like they're in a bad soap rather than a naturalistic drama), but the actual direction and sound design is really good. Lots of attention to detail like the subliminal appearances of Mr Pipes all the way through. My favourite is when Craig Charles does an outdoor bit, the camera pans past a crowd of onlookers and Pipes is just stood there with his hosed-up face.

There's a hilarious clip about from the discussion show Biteback where the producer is brought on to defend the film in the face of some OUTRAGED members of the public who are OUTRAGED that something on TV could possibly mislead them. There's something almost charmingly quaint about the fact that people were actually genuinely upset about this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUyhN-gq8xk

gorki
Aug 9, 2014

Castle Radium posted:

That clip's a redubbed spoof, dude. That's not the real voice they used.

Original: http://vimeo.com/62986701

I love Ghostwatch. Some of the acting is terrible, particularly the girls and the mother(they all act like they're in a bad soap rather than a naturalistic drama), but the actual direction and sound design is really good. Lots of attention to detail like the subliminal appearances of Mr Pipes all the way through. My favourite is when Craig Charles does an outdoor bit, the camera pans past a crowd of onlookers and Pipes is just stood there with his hosed-up face.

There's a hilarious clip about from the discussion show Biteback where the producer is brought on to defend the film in the face of some OUTRAGED members of the public who are OUTRAGED that something on TV could possibly mislead them. There's something almost charmingly quaint about the fact that people were actually genuinely upset about this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUyhN-gq8xk

Yeah, I watched it all the way through last night and I was gutted about that! I should have known it was a bit of a stretch even for a 22 year old programme, but I think the "coloured liquid and tape" setup threw me. Still, I guess I can be added to the list of people who've been headfucked by Ghostwatch? :blush: I have to say, the ending was fantastic and I'm definitely going to force everyone to watch this at halloween.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Lofty132 posted:

I can't work out if Come Dine With Me: The Couples is superior to the original or not. What do my fellow goons of make of it?

I've only watched a few episodes but I'm not a fan of it so far. They're all getting on a little too well for my liking.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
The current newsnight Robin Williams discussion is a amazing. You have Eddie Izzard trying to be dignified and showing some respect, but Kirsty keeps cutting to other people who will talk about tweets. Hope someone else wathced it, horrifying.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
I hate this voyeuristic 'AGONY OF HIS FINAL HOURS' shite.

gorki
Aug 9, 2014

Octy posted:

They're all getting on a little too well for my liking.

I prefer Four in a Bed. So much pettiness, jealousy and smoldering anger mixed with British reserve. Always great telly :)

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches
Im watching bake off and Ive decided I definitely hate Sue, but Mel may be bearable

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

The Big Taff Man posted:

Im watching bake off and Ive decided I definitely hate Sue, but Mel may be bearable

You monster.

Bakeoff continues to be delightful, and with a far higher level of skill shown by even the poorest contestants than last years' lot.

Think my favourite is Richard the Builder, with his little pencil tucked behind his ear, and his adorable pirate biscuits. Think Mary Berry likes him too, she had a wee twinkle in her eye when she was watching him bake.

tdrules
Jan 12, 2014
Watching Bake Off on a delay so a bit LTTP on this but this week Jordan has created a Godzilla scene with biscuits that was inspired by "his love of Japanese Magazines".

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

tdrules posted:

Watching Bake Off on a delay so a bit LTTP on this but this week Jordan has created a Godzilla scene with biscuits that was inspired by "his love of Japanese Magazines".

Jordan is actually SA poster Paperhouse

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches
Im disappointed no one made a monster Dalek like last year

I like Luis. Richard is too good.

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

Goon baker survives another week.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I really liked that sea monster.

gorki posted:

I prefer Four in a Bed. So much pettiness, jealousy and smoldering anger mixed with British reserve. Always great telly :)

I really like the way it ends up not being a secret vote in the end on Four in a Bed. People get outright accused of underpaying just to try and win, and watching people trying to justify their petty nitpicks is great too. Also the way in which pretty much everyone tears their rooms apart looking for the slightest mess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gorki
Aug 9, 2014

McDragon posted:

Also the way in which pretty much everyone tears their rooms apart looking for the slightest mess.

I love how they always do their best to disguise their delight as outrage when they finally find that one pube beneath the three protective sheets on the mattress :newlol: