Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bodacious
Jul 29, 2010

quote:

To create a more consistent Quick Match experience, the matchmaker will now prioritize including a Tank, Healer, and ranged Assassin on each Quick Match team—unless you’re in a group of five, in which case, no restrictions will apply!

Boy, that only took 3+ years for them to figure out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
I haven't watched HotS much since last Blizzcon. Is there anywhere I can find a quick summary of the last year of changes?

Paranoid Peanut
Nov 13, 2009

So if I don't have a boost, and others do I get a free ride?

Good. I can continue my zero-dollars-spent-in-this-game scheme

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

BGrifter posted:

I haven't watched HotS much since last Blizzcon. Is there anywhere I can find a quick summary of the last year of changes?

Heroespatchnotes.com isn't a summary but it's a central location for information.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

BrianBoitano posted:

Heroespatchnotes.com isn't a summary but it's a central location for information.

Thanks!

Super hype to see the TLV pick.

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED
Those XP changes seem really really odd

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Orphea is adorable holy poo poo :allears:

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
Orphea's animations put literally everything else in this game to shame.

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED

Semper Fudge posted:

Orphea's animations put literally everything else in this game to shame.

Having to use characters from other games was holding them back

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Having to self-flagellate at the beginning of a panel is never a good sign.

Midnightghoul posted:

Having to use characters from other games was holding them back

This is a big part of why I don't mind Orphea being in the game. There's a lot more you can do visually when a character is designed from the ground up to be an actual MOBA character.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
This guy is not afraid to talk in front of a crowd :v:

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED
"Melee Assassin" Murky & Gazlowe

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Midnightghoul posted:

"Melee Assassin" Murky & Gazlowe

Yeah I'd like you to uh... go into more detail with characters like this, thank you fast talking stage man

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED

Macaluso posted:

Yeah I'd like you to uh... go into more detail with characters like this, thank you fast talking stage man

I'm sure they will make sure they make sense in these new roles just like they did after the ammo changes with speciali...oh

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Me, the smartest person on earth: "ooh, so that's what MMR means" :v:

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Tempo Storm starts their match vs Dignitas with... MURKY/Falstad/Aba/Samuro/Junkrat. https://www.twitch.tv/blizzheroes

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED

Nybble posted:

Tempo Storm starts their match vs Dignitas with... MURKY/Falstad/Aba/Samuro/Junkrat. https://www.twitch.tv/blizzheroes

MELEE ASSASSIN MURKY

Midnightghoul fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Nov 3, 2018

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Unfortunately I was not able to get in line for a question. Ideally I can get into the Deep Dive line tomorrow.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Lol the salty guy behind the guy asking the question after they announced no more questions after this one :discourse:

edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tQ7lD1TcpA

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Nov 3, 2018

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Midnightghoul posted:

I'm sure they will make sure they make sense in these new roles just like they did after the ammo changes with speciali...oh

They've announced reworks for Sylvanas and Stitches, but beyond that :confuoot:

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
The stimpack changes seem okay enough, but oh man was the new hero a complete no-sell for me. Yeah, Blizzard characters aren't exactly known for their creative and original designs, but Orphea really nails that 'generic-mobile-game-character' look.

Also ouch those armor changes and whatever logic they're using for the XP changes.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
I feel like the current HotS dev team would rather be making a Battlerite/arena style game than a lane based Moba. Which would be fine with me, because I am one of the tons of people that love ARAM more than the other game modes.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Only caught one match and I'm sooooooo out of the loop on Heroes, but we live in a world where Diablo and Jimmy Raynor are legit solid picks now? :stare:

Last I remember Raynor was the "babbys first hero" and Diablo was a fringe pick.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

BGrifter posted:

Only caught one match and I'm sooooooo out of the loop on Heroes, but we live in a world where Diablo and Jimmy Raynor are legit solid picks now? :stare:

Last I remember Raynor was the "babbys first hero" and Diablo was a fringe pick.

Raynor's been kind of :effort: before his rework but, uh, Diablo has been one of the stronger tanks in the game basically since I've been playing the game so like for a couple years now?

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

fool_of_sound posted:

I think the catapults change is intended to give an incentive to play aggressively in lane

My understanding from reading the blog post is that it's intended to move lane equilibrium forward so that the team that's behind can soak XP more safely.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Kai Tave posted:

Raynor's been kind of :effort: before his rework but, uh, Diablo has been one of the stronger tanks in the game basically since I've been playing the game so like for a couple years now?

I could be remembering wrong but ETC, Muradin and Johanna were the primary picks for tanks last I watched regularly. Chen and Diablo were noteworthy as unusual picks but not crazy stuff like Murky or TLV, just slightly off meta.

BGrifter fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Nov 3, 2018

Dire Human
Feb 1, 2013

AH-HA! That's right...

Who's laughing now?

Who's laughing now?

I don’t know what yall are upset about with the new character, I think Rose Lalonde looks great

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

I'm very upset that we didn't get another rendition of Angel Paladin or Human Paladin or Orc Warrior

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I couldn't tell you any exact timeframes but yeah, there was a bit when Diablo was rear end and nobody looked twice at them, but they've been cool and fun for much longer by this point.

Raynor however was butts until very recently, wherein his remake made him crazy.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Yardbomb posted:

Raynor however was butts until very recently, wherein his remake made him crazy.

Yeah this is the main thing that blew my mind. The idea of a pro player picking Raynor as anything other than a joke is hard to wrap my head around.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

why does mal'ganis look so much better in the WC3 remaster than in HotS

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I hope they fix up the lighting or whatever it was in the WC3 remaster because it looked like a SC2 mod (which it obviously is, but still). Coming from such a vibrant game like HotS and seeing the super flat SC2 look applied to Wc3 which was also very vibrant is weird for me.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

ToastyPotato posted:

I hope they fix up the lighting or whatever it was in the WC3 remaster because it looked like a SC2 mod (which it obviously is, but still). Coming from such a vibrant game like HotS and seeing the super flat SC2 look applied to Wc3 which was also very vibrant is weird for me.

actually it's using the WC3 engine

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Mal'Ganis' HOTS model is fine except for the face, but I dunno, I the ridiculous degree of detail in the new Warcraft 3 models feels really off and HOTS feels way more true to Warcraft's spirit.

The animations also look really, really rough.

Semper Fudge fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Nov 3, 2018

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

The WC3 remaster is still on the WC3 engine, just an updated version.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

That's incredible because it looks almost identical to SC2.

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016
Every modern game is based on Warcraft 3.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

ToastyPotato posted:

That's incredible because it looks almost identical to SC2.

Engines can be updated to accept different graphics relatively easily. The engine is stuff like pathfinding, timing logic, ect.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

BGrifter posted:

I could be remembering wrong but ETC, Muradin and Johanna were the primary picks for tanks last I watched regularly. Chen and Diablo were noteworthy as unusual picks but not crazy stuff like Murky or TLV, just slightly off meta.

I admittedly don't follow the pro HOTS scene very much. I know there was a period where Diablo was kinda considered sort of mediocre but I also feel like he's been considered pretty good for longer than just his most recent rework unlike Raynor. I know some of the big complaints with him were that he was very much a sufferer of one-build-itis, that Lightning Breath was a meme pick, and that some people were annoyed by the percentage damage you could talent Shadow Charge into being pretty hefty for a tank to be outputting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Kai Tave posted:

I admittedly don't follow the pro HOTS scene very much. I know there was a period where Diablo was kinda considered sort of mediocre but I also feel like he's been considered pretty good for longer than just his most recent rework unlike Raynor. I know some of the big complaints with him were that he was very much a sufferer of one-build-itis, that Lightning Breath was a meme pick, and that some people were annoyed by the percentage damage you could talent Shadow Charge into being pretty hefty for a tank to be outputting.

Oh I definitely didn't mean to make it sound like Diablo was ever on the level of Raynor. I was just surprised to see both of them consistently picked.

On the flip side it's so weird watching HotS without seeing Uther or Muradin. That's an even bigger mindfuck.