Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

I said come in! posted:

I forgot CIG did this. In order to just get the problem to go away, they banned the woman poster who did nothing but exist. While her online harassers were told by CIG that everything would be okay and they did nothing wrong.

The perks of being an extreme minority in a video game community I guess!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Lladre posted:

I don't see any difference between the two screen caps.

Seriously though, Mankind was a lovely game in the sense you think you are fighting a mini boss then credits start rolling.

Yeah it was supposed to be a much longer game, but it got chopped up by Square Enix who thought they could sell the full game piece by piece as episodes.

I still enjoyed it, but mainly I just use it as an example of a game that came out years ago and still did the grimy cyberpunk aesthetic 1000% better than CIG.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Hav posted:

So Amazon Game Studios laid down a big 'nuhuh' on the doubters by announcing a LOTR MMO. No word on the engine selection;

https://gematsu.com/2019/07/amazon-game-studios-announces-free-to-play-the-lord-of-the-rings-mmo-for-console-pc
Have Amazon forgotten that Lord Of The Rings Online is still a somewhat-popular thing?

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Hav posted:

He's a national treasure.

So Amazon Game Studios laid down a big 'nuhuh' on the doubters by announcing a LOTR MMO. No word on the engine selection;

https://gematsu.com/2019/07/amazon-game-studios-announces-free-to-play-the-lord-of-the-rings-mmo-for-console-pc

cool, Amazon.

Lemme know when it gets released and isn't a mobile app or cash store bonanza

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

JugbandDude posted:

It's even on video. Remember Ben's rant about trolls ruining threads in the old forums? Then banning the woman who was getting harassed was just the cherry on the top.

i only read about that but yeah critics were banned, the good ol totalitarian way.

but could it be that cig changed its whole strategy? like that they do not want a community at all. that they actively seek to destroy their own community (each and every member, from cultist to critic).

this is just theorycrafting, but lets say you realize that you are hosed and that this project is going nowhere.
then better get rid of your fans fast!! (i mean every single one)

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Nyast posted:

Yeah, a close view from a generic asset in Star Citizen, versus an important street / hub area in Deus Ex.

It would be more relevant to compare it, to, say, the slum / marketplace in Levski:

.. but of course, that wouldn't support the argument that Star Citizen looks like crap.

Look, I can agree the art direction isn't exactly inspired. It's all brown and generic poo poo; but in terms of quality, it doesn't look like crap. It just doesn't. There are a lot of things to criticize in Star Citizen, but I don't think the art quality is one. That's in fact one of the things I consider them to be successful at ( that, plus milking whales and deceiving backers ).

Graphical fidelity is the big selling point though and the thing that Citizens do constant victory laps over, while posting the same screenshot of Hurston's sunset to Reddit every day.

I'll admit that I actually like some of the ship designs, but there are dozens of games that have come out since 2012 that completely surpass Star Citizen in both raw graphical detail and art design. There are even indie games that look better than this 250 million dollar money pit.

Star Citizen would have been somewhat impressive for 2012/2013, but there is nothing in the game today that is cutting edge or even keeps up with current releases. When next gen consoles launch next year, its going to be completely left behind. I just don't think fidelity argument has any validity to it anymore.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Raskolnikov posted:

The perks of being an extreme minority in a video game community I guess!

The Star Citizen community is filled with alt-right backers. Every single die hard backer that defends the game, has a Twitter account that specifically mentions they are alt-right/MAGA/Trump supporter, etc.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

colonelwest posted:

Yeah it was supposed to be a much longer game, but it got chopped up by Square Enix who thought they could sell the full game piece by piece as episodes.

I still enjoyed it, but mainly I just use it as an example of a game that came out years ago and still did the grimy cyberpunk aesthetic 1000% better than CIG.

Yes, I enjoyed the hell out of it till the wtf, it's over thing.

I would play expansions if they ever made any. But i don't think id pay top dollar for them after that.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Quavers posted:

Have Amazon forgotten that Lord Of The Rings Online is still a somewhat-popular thing?

Sounds like they're doing a tie-in with the 'TV Show' coming later. This could be as successful as the Defiance/Defiance cross media extravanganza (although the last season of Defiance was actually approaching good).

But you know what Peter Jackson says, you can't have enough Lords or Rings.

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT

colonelwest posted:

Graphical fidelity is the big selling point though and the thing that Citizens do constant victory laps over, while posting the same screenshot of Hurston's sunset to Reddit every day.

I'll admit that I actually like some of the ship designs, but there are dozens of games that have come out since 2012 that completely surpass Star Citizen in both raw graphical detail and art design. There are even indie games that look better than this 250 million dollar money pit.

There are games that look better, especially in contrast to their budget, no question about that. And yeah some of these are indy games. But if we're comparing with massive multiplayer, open-world games, that have to handle a large amount of locations ( and not just a small hub that an artist army can focus on for many years ), then suddenly it's not so easy to find better looking games than Star Citizen.

I don't think Elite: Dangerous, No Man's Sky, the upcoming Rebel galaxy, X4, or whatever-you-name-it-space-game are looking any better than Star Citizen.

I do think there are tons of solo games, sometimes console games, that taken in raw form, look better. Uncharted 4 has phenomenal graphics, even compared to the best PC games, and it's a PS4 game. Cyberpunk 2077 is looking nice too, but it's a solo game.

Tsar Mikey
Nov 30, 2005

When will then be now?

The other thing about Star Citizen's "fidelity" is that--ignoring art direction completely--it really doesn't look any better than current generation games but it performs a poo poo load worse because Chris can't handle a space fire extinguisher model with no less than 100,000 polygons.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Bumble He posted:

i only read about that but yeah critics were banned, the good ol totalitarian way.

but could it be that cig changed its whole strategy? like that they do not want a community at all. that they actively seek to destroy their own community (each and every member, from cultist to critic).

this is just theorycrafting, but lets say you realize that you are hosed and that this project is going nowhere.
then better get rid of your fans fast!! (i mean every single one)

This isn't as :tinfoil: as it sounds. Ideally when they shut down they want as few people remaining as possible. Who's more likely to kick up a fuss - people who've already written this off as a loss, or the people still convinced it's their new lease on life.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

I said come in! posted:

The Star Citizen community is filled with alt-right backers. Every single die hard backer that defends the game, has a Twitter account that specifically mentions they are alt-right/MAGA/Trump supporter, etc.

They can't ban them and their toxic personalities because they need them and their money, so as long as they don't cross certain lines, they're good. Actually, they're better than good because they already show fanatical tenancies and a willingness to police people who don't fall into lockstep with the party line. That drives out the sensible people who are already on the fence about spending any/more cash on space ships and turned the community into a toxic cesspool.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Nyast posted:

There are games that look better, especially in contrast to their budget, no question about that. And yeah some of these are indy games. But if we're comparing with massive multiplayer, open-world games, that have to handle a large amount of locations ( and not just a small hub that an artist army can focus on for many years ), then suddenly it's not so easy to find better looking games than Star Citizen.

I don't think Elite: Dangerous, No Man's Sky, the upcoming Rebel galaxy, X4, or whatever-you-name-it-space-game are looking any better than Star Citizen.

I do think there are tons of solo games, sometimes console games, that taken in raw form, look better. Uncharted 4 has phenomenal graphics, even compared to the best PC games, and it's a PS4 game. Cyberpunk 2077 is looking nice too, but it's a solo game.

To be fair, they're not a massive multiplayer open-world game. They're just claiming to be. To citizens, it's synonymous, for some reason, but that courtesy is extended to Chris Roberts and him alone, despite him being the one person on earth least likely to pull it off. At this point they could pull the Fyre Festival guy out of prison and he'd have a better chance.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Nyast posted:

Yeah, a close view from a generic asset in Star Citizen, versus an important street / hub area in Deus Ex.

It would be more relevant to compare it, to, say, the slum / marketplace in Levski:

.. but of course, that wouldn't support the argument that Star Citizen looks like crap.

Look, I can agree the art direction isn't exactly inspired. It's all brown and generic poo poo; but in terms of quality, it doesn't look like crap. It just doesn't. There are a lot of things to criticize in Star Citizen, but I don't think the art quality is one. That's in fact one of the things I consider them to be successful at ( that, plus milking whales and deceiving backers ).

The problem with these screenshots it that they're always extrapolated to be representative. If one scene looks this good, then it means a real universe with billions of equivalently detailed locations must certainly exist. It also implies that there's a functioning game here, instead of a bunch of art assets that have no reason to exist outside of a screenshot. When absolutely nothing works, it's easy to have extremely high fidelity.

Scruffpuff fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jul 10, 2019

Tsar Mikey
Nov 30, 2005

When will then be now?

Most other games also manage to have working physics engines in addition to fidelity.

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT

Scruffpuff posted:

The problem with these screenshots it that they're always extrapolated to be representative. If one scene looks this good, then it means a real universe with billions of equivalently detailed locations must certainly exist.

Come on now, you know the same logic applies to other games too. Not all locations look that good in Deus Ex. That's why I was saying the comparison isn't fair. You can't take one of the best looking areas in a game and compare it to a bad one in Star Citizen and draw the conclusion that all of SC is crap and all of Deus Ex is good.

I've seen areas in Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare that looked from 2003. The same can be done in any other game, including Deus Ex. I'm sure there will be tons of crappy looking places in Cyberpunk 2077 too. Anybody willing to bet with me that once CP2077 is out we could find areas that look as bad as this Star Citizen shop ?

Nyast fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jul 10, 2019

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Scruffpuff posted:

This isn't as :tinfoil: as it sounds. Ideally when they shut down they want as few people remaining as possible. Who's more likely to kick up a fuss - people who've already written this off as a loss, or the people still convinced it's their new lease on life.

i am honest i would do it like this.
no community also means no communication between members.
if you get told by the devs to “gently caress off“ you get angry and seek revenge.
if you get told by so-called community members to do so, you may think “what a looney bin, im outta here“

this thought occured to me because the recent conversations on reddit feel “staged“. the answer to criticism is just “go away“. it used to be“come back in a year, the game will be great then“. recent replies contain not much more info then “you should leave“

“official cig“ is then represented by hobo lando with his feeble voice and apologetic behavior. aka “why is gamedev hard?“

yeah like i said it can just be a coincidence, but even cultists dont feel “real“ anymore.
it could theoretically be part of an exit strategy.

BumbleOne fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jul 10, 2019

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Quavers posted:

Fidelity!

It always bugs me how in the Star Citizen "universe" everything revolves around space and spaceships. Every in game ad is for spaceships, every T-shirt references space, even the headless hotdog man's stall last page sells "Space bud". Then even the few things that don't reference space have to be in "grittily spacy" environments.

It's all just so boringly single tone. It's like Star Citizen was designed by the Space Core or something.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Nyast posted:

Come on now, you know the same logic applies to other games too. Not all locations look that good in Deus Ex. That's why I was saying the comparison isn't fair. You can't take one of the best looking areas in a game and compare it to a bad one in Star Citizen and draw the conclusion that all of SC is crap and all of Deus Ex is good.

I've seen areas in Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare that looked from 2003. The same can be done in any other game, including Deus Ex. I'm sure there will be tons of crappy looking places in Cyberpunk 2077 too. Anybody willing to bet with me that once CP2077 is out we could find areas that look as bad as this Star Citizen shop ?

I think we're talking about different things. You are talking about comparing SC visuals to other games and that you can select locations manually that make SC look like poo poo, and I agree. My point is different - I'm saying that SC is going full-bore on still screenshots in order to imply the underlying game to be the most amazing thing ever, when the exact opposite is true. They're doing it to make the game look much farther along than it is, relying on gamers assuming the normal game development procedure of doing the final graphical pass absolutely last.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Viscous Soda posted:

It always bugs me how in the Star Citizen "universe" everything revolves around space and spaceships. Every in game ad is for spaceships, every T-shirt references space, even the headless hotdog man's stall last page sells "Space bud". Then even the few things that don't reference space have to be in "grittily spacy" environments.

It's all just so boringly single tone. It's like Star Citizen was designed by the Space Core or something.

I would think that in a future where everyone really is space-faring, it wouldn't come up at all. Why would it? I don't see banners all over creation saying "ROAD CARS! GET YOUR BEST ROAD CAR HERE!" or "DRINK THE DRINK OTHER ROAD DRIVERS ARE DRINKING!" Cars are one of many things that exist, we know there are roads, we know how transportation works. When cars first came out those kinds of ads were around for a little while, and that was it.

Tsar Mikey
Nov 30, 2005

When will then be now?

I personally think striving for graphical fidelity in an MMO is pretty short sighted. MMOs (popular ones, anyway) tend to span multiple graphical generations. To me, I think the goal should be looking somewhat timeless while maintaining a strict level of performance and then making incremental updates to the graphics as time passes.

With regards to Star Citizen, it's almost as if they promised a tight single player experience, then shifted over to some MMO dumbassery without any thought or plan once the money started rolling in.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

https://twitter.com/discolando/status/1149022438266757124

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Nyast posted:

Bet taken.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Hav posted:

But you know what Peter Jackson says, you can't have enough Lords or Rings.

I've got a feeling Amazon is really, really going to put that to the test.

Quavers posted:

Have you considered that Amazon has no idea what it is doing in regards to its gaming studio and is just flinging its money around to see what will stick and calling it a strategy?

By the way, can someone enlighten me on what the connection between CIG and Amazon is? Is CIG just associated them because of using Crytek/Lumberyard, or does Amazon actually have money in SC?

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jul 10, 2019

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Nyast posted:

My feeling is that while Star Citizen can look pretty good in a screenshot (because of the high geometry or whatever), it looks pretty bad and outdated in motion when in the game.

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

star citizen is bad

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I've got a feeling Amazon is really, really going to put that to the test.

Have you considered that Amazon has no idea what it is doing in regards to its gaming studio and is just flinging its money around to see what will stick and calling it a strategy?

By the way, can someone enlighten me on what the connection between CIG and Amazon is? Is CIG just associated them because of using Crytek/Lumberyard, or does Amazon actually have money in SC?

Bolded the answer. And yes, Amazon has been throwing money at various projects for the past couple of years because they're cash rich. This MMO announcement is literally the first sign of life out of the turgid behometh since Forbes talked smack about the framework.

Asmodai_00 posted:

star citizen is bad

I feel this is premature. If it gets really bad, it circles around to being ironically good.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Asmodai_00 posted:

star citizen is bad

well according to citizens it hasn't come out yet so it can't be judged but is also the best game ever better than any triple A game

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Nyast posted:

Are the better looking games in Alpha having spunked away nearly $200 million in pre-sales?

Edit: Even bigger fish in a smaller barrel: Have you heard of many crowdfunded MMO successes?

Hav fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jul 10, 2019

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

https://twitter.com/Macher_Gaming/status/1149033542116085761

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Nyast posted:

My only quibble with this is that Star Citizen does only have a handful of locations that look good/need to look good. If you're looking for a place to get a shot to compare to that Deus Ex shot, there's only about two or three places you can go in Star Citizen right now to find it. 99% of the game looks okay at best or like poo poo at worst, and that includes big chunks of the massively important, high-detail areas like Area 18.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Nyast posted:

I beg to differ. All those games have something Star Citizen will never have, cohesive art direction and their own distinctive aesthetic.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Hav posted:

Are the better looking games in Alpha having spunked away nearly $200 million in pre-sales?

It's the pretty + jank that makes SC so drat appealing...

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Star Citizen: Ok, completely ignore the fact I'm a Star Citizen backer for a moment...

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

lmao the loving irony.

But seriously, I would rather pay $60 + a monthly sub but zero microtransactions or cash shop.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Star Citizen: Ok, completely ignore the fact I'm a Star Citizen backer for a moment...

*ahem* "concierge" backer

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Don't worry, Lethality is already on the case
https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/1149017787215618050

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

The funniest part to me, honestly, is that Amazon thinks starting development on an MMORPG is a good idea in the current market.

I said come in! posted:

lmao the loving irony.

But seriously, I would rather pay $60 + a monthly sub but zero microtransactions or cash shop.

Hey, c'mon, he told you to ignore the irony, that's just rude.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jul 10, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Nyast posted:

I guarantee they will just be as bad, however, there will be immersive game play and reason behind why certain areas are less detailed than others rather than random areas of tremendous visual beauty with no correlation to actual game play. I don't give a drat if some random alley has lower polys, I do give a drat if the painstakingly high poly fidelity melts my computer like Chernobyl for no other reason than the artist working on that portion had Chris up his rear end.