Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Alder posted:

In the history of SMT game is there ever a time where melee>magic?

I only ask because I'd always prefer mage characters and they tend to be way better than melee from my exp. For example, Almighty skills were insanely fun to spam after I got that SP ring for Naoto. My final party for P4: me, Yukiko, Teddy, and Naoto.

The final boss of the true demon ending in Nocturne? Also power charge+hassou tobi in Persona 4 is probably better than using magic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah, the power of Freikugel with a properly strength built Demi-Fiend is pretty much the most powerful thing in the game.

Maleficent
May 26, 2014
In my experience (which is admittedly not that extensive) MCs being physical with your demon party covering weaknesses and being elemental users is my preferred configuration. I think anything works though!

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Alder posted:

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

Tarezax posted:

Hassou Tobi.

Pretty sure this + Heat Riser is the strongest move you can do in Persona 4. It does like eight hits in the triple digits

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Alder posted:

I only ask because I'd always prefer mage characters and they tend to be way better than melee from my exp. For example, Almighty skills were insanely fun to spam after I got that SP ring for Naoto. My final party for P4: me, Yukiko, Teddy, and Naoto.

Melee is stronger than magic in most recent games honestly.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Gonna end up buying Break Record just for Jungo and Yamato, I swear.

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jan 2, 2015

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Moltrey posted:

Gonna end buying Break Record just for Jungo and Yamato, I swear.

Same, except also for Al Psyduck.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

alcharagia posted:

Same, except also for Al Psyduck.

Ah poo poo, I forgot about him. Yeah, him too.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I
Yeah, Nocturne is definitely a game where Physical just absolutely beasts magic.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Alder posted:

Chie > Yukiko

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Beef Waifu posted:

They're all bad, play a good JRPG like Inuyasha: The Secret of the Cursed Mask.

is this real

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The part where it is real. The part where it is good, not so much.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Now the DBZ and Naruto DS RPGs, on the other hand...

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Dragonatrix posted:

On the other hand, in SMT2 Satan was the Law route figurehead and YHVH is the final boss on every route.

MT2 and SMT2 really tried to make sure you knew that YHWH was the real rear end in a top hat.

http://youtu.be/Mu2op9bM-bo

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Moltrey posted:

Gonna end buying Break Record just for Jungo and Yamato, I swear.

I would too but new portable is out of the question :v:

Alright, I'll just chalk it down to personal preference then for using magic over melee. As I've always wanted to be a wizard irl.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
so if rise gets a dance spinoff let's make up some spinoff games atlus can create for the other characters, like knitting mama with kanji tatsumi.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
im trying to recall where i read about smt 1's entire plot from because i remember they based the fact that lucifer is a member of the law route on the fact that in hebrew it meant shining star and ergo it had something to do with jesus and that modern christians had reassigned the name?

idk all that poo poo starts getting fuzzy and i just kinda hand wave it, but it might lead you in the right direction

Excels posted:

so if rise gets a dance spinoff let's make up some spinoff games atlus can create for the other characters, like knitting mama with kanji tatsumi.

fat princess starring yukiko in 20 years

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
professor layton crossover

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
koromaru in the next installment of that game with the wolf on the cover

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

uncleKitchener posted:

MT2 and SMT2 really tried to make sure you knew that YHWH was the real rear end in a top hat.

http://youtu.be/Mu2op9bM-bo

I'm not sure if this or the Ultimate Crack Smoking Warlock is better.

The YHVH in the middle just doesn't look right. He's supposed to look like this:

http://us.cdn200.fansshare.com/photo/patrickstewart/patrick-stewart-by-robert-ascroft-1527846508.jpg

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Excels posted:

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Also Hinako because she destroys enemy parties with Multihit/Multistrike.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I like the Cooking Mama style for the P3 cast more than the PQ style.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

For P4 there could be Cooking Beef, and a Hidden Beef Game, and a Beef Farm and a hotel management game for facebook, and a sliding puzzle game about hit & run investigations, and a slenderman game about randomly finding stuff in fridges, and a match-3 Jacks game, and a minesweeper game about raiding tents on a school trip.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I want/need this in my life

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

So I feel really stupid. I'm at the point in SMT 4 where I just killed Issachar and then the Black Samurai's Lilim horde sent me to this broad homogenous space. I am told to go to the east. However there's no sun or map or really anything identifiable directions. I just sorta spiral out looking for anything. I have tried just running in each cardinal direction from where I start. I have done this like 20 times.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

projecthalaxy posted:

So I feel really stupid. I'm at the point in SMT 4 where I just killed Issachar and then the Black Samurai's Lilim horde sent me to this broad homogenous space. I am told to go to the east. However there's no sun or map or really anything identifiable directions. I just sorta spiral out looking for anything. I have tried just running in each cardinal direction from where I start. I have done this like 20 times.

I just assumed the position I was initially facing was north, turned right and ran that way for a bit. It worked after a while. I seem to recall it took a little bit longer running than you'd expect.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I just assumed the position I was initially facing was north, turned right and ran that way for a bit. It worked after a while. I seem to recall it took a little bit longer running than you'd expect.

That did it, thanks. The key is to do that multiple times despite no response until it works. Basically the definition of insanity.

Thundersword238
Oct 15, 2012

Clearly the next spinoff should be a live action series where Naoto and Chie open a detective agency and solve mysteries. Rise can be the sassy secretary, and Yu can be the damsel who gets kidnapped or framed all the time.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Alder posted:

Heat + Power Charge + Ragnarok in DDS1 was pretty much my go to combo. Physical almighty with defense debuff.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

The only PS2 era SMT where physical wasn't at least on par with magic was Persona 3, really, and even in that Vorpal Blade was really good.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i finally beat persona q. it was okay, but there were too many issues with balance, frustrating levels and writing to call it good, i feel.

you were right all along Beef Waifu

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Persona 5 is gonna rule though, you can't take that from me

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

LordAba posted:

Heat + Power Charge + Ragnarok in DDS1 was pretty much my go to combo. Physical almighty with defense debuff.

Except by the time you get Ragnarok, most of the hard enemies left resist Almighty. It is super good on the Demifiend though.

With most SMT games, I feel like magic rules in the early and mid-game since pretty much every enemy has a weakness to hit. In the later game, though, you start getting the ultimate physical skills which have absurd damage potential, and magic has nothing stronger than Megidolaon or Death Flies.

DDS2 is a weird case because the strongest endgame magical and physical skills, Pyriphlegethon and Divine Light, come out pretty much even in terms of advantages and disadvantages. For most of that game, though, magic is way more useful, especially since Chi Blast now has a ridiculous miss rate so you can't use it to get free press turns.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
My problem with Q so far is that even on Risky it's way too easy. Granted, I'm only at the start of the 2nd stratum "labyrinth" right now but so far I haven't had any trouble with anything at all. Even the whopping two FOEs from the first area were way too simple and boring and I obliterated both of 'em long before making it to the boss. :sigh:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

Persona 5 is gonna rule though, you can't take that from me

no, it'll be Atlus that does that

Areola Grande
Jan 2, 2015

it's a free country u pervs

Dragonatrix posted:

My problem with Q so far is that even on Risky it's way too easy. Granted, I'm only at the start of the 2nd stratum "labyrinth" right now but so far I haven't had any trouble with anything at all. Even the whopping two FOEs from the first area were way too simple and boring and I obliterated both of 'em long before making it to the boss. :sigh:

Sounds like you've reached the Group Date Cafe. I'm on the third floor or "stop" in that labrynth right now and I'm stuck with no FAQs to bail me out.

That being said, I'm very happy with the music and the fact that the game gives you all the characters as soon as you start Group Date Cafe

Areola Grande
Jan 2, 2015

it's a free country u pervs
Also, I have noticed almost no difference between any of the difficulty levels for some reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ancient Aroma posted:

Also, I have noticed almost no difference between any of the difficulty levels for some reason

The reason why is that the gamebreaking mechanics are not something impacted by difficulty, so if you can win one mode you can win all modes. The only real exception is Risky puts you at, uh, risk of a game over if a FOE gets off a Mudo/Hama before getting locked down.

It's a shame because giving enemies greater resistances alone could have made a good difficulty boost.