Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Though that author is hosed up in the head, Silent Hill is also a pretty hosed up videogame series. Although Konami has recently downgraded that to just 'hosed' - HIT THE LEVER!

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Mar 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

who is dick Hitler in this analogy?

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

waitwhatno posted:

Merkel

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

CrazyLoon posted:

...accelerates it to the nth degree. Now excuse me, while I go out and get my rape on, because I am a man and I have to. Thanks for demonstrating how not to paint a whole group of people with the same brush.

Men are statistically far more likely to be rapists though, it's not controversial to say that rape is an overhwhelmingly male vice.

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

waitwhatno posted:

The Jews obviously

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

OwlFancier posted:

Men are statistically far more likely to be rapists though, it's not controversial to say that rape is an overhwhelmingly male vice.

Don't be wilfully dense, that's not what was said.

Men are rapists and rapists are men are two diametrically different statements.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

OwlFancier posted:

Just as women are statistically more likely to take everything personally, and it's not controversial to say they overwhelmingly do far poorly in all debates amirite?

See how insulting that felt?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

Don't be wilfully dense, that's not what was said.

What was said? That men have some in-built predisposition to being rapists? I entirely agree with that.

CrazyLoon posted:

Just as women are statistically more likely to take everything personally, and it's not controversial to say they overwhelmingly do far poorly in all debates amirite?

See how insulting that felt?

What?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

OwlFancier posted:

What was said? That men have some in-built predisposition to being rapists? I entirely agree with that.

What?

In that case I guess women are predisposed to being submissive, manipulative and unstable. Which is apparently fair to say.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

In that case I guess women are predisposed to being submissive.

I don't know whether that is true or not but I don't really understand the bearing it has on the discussion?

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures

Regarde Aduck posted:

They rape because they are men.

Oh, it's that simple? And here I thought the fact that they had grown up in society where women are considered property might have something to do with the fact that immigrants make up quarter of rapes in Finland despite being only fraction of population. But I guess paying attention to statistics is racist.

Also, they are not refugees because they cruise across Europe looking for best handouts, they are economic immigrants and should be treated as such. Finland is already getting massive bill from shipping back people who arrived here, demanded free house and car and decided to return back to Iraq after they figured out that Finland is expensive as poo poo.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

OwlFancier posted:

I don't know whether that is true or not but I don't really understand the bearing it has on the discussion?

Do you seriously think you are being insightful when you say "Men are inherently rapists", and that everybody is going to be happy to accept that as a nugget of supreme wisdom? lol

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
I'm sorry to interrupt this thrilling discussion about dicks, jews, Hitler and Muslims, but there are the first leaks from tomorrow's EU SUmmit.

quote:

Their statement — to be approved by leaders on Monday — was discussed by EU ambassadors on Sunday afternoon. “Irregular flows of migrants along the Western Balkans route are coming to an end; this route is now closed,” according to a copy of the document obtained by POLITICO.

Source: http://www.politico.eu/article/balkan-route-closed-eu-to-declare/

Basically the EU has agreed to the inevitable and agreed to make Greece one big hotspot, while the cooperation with Turkey has to be bought with silence on Erdogan's moves to become Sultan Recep I.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

OwlFancier posted:

Every progressive ITT has taken every opportunity they can to scream, at how it's all just RACISM and how an entire people are being painted with the same negative brush, simply due to their cultural/religious background.

And while I admit to hold some sympathy for that point of view (even if the reality is ultimately far more complicated), the sympathy I hold for progressives drops to zero when with the next breath they unironically say something as retarded as: "Rapists rape, because they are men!" and paint an entire people with the same negative brush themselves.

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Mar 6, 2016

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Puistokemisti posted:

Also, they are not refugees because they cruise across Europe looking for best handouts

In their pink Cadillacs?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

Do you seriously think you are being insightful when you say "Men are inherently rapists", and that everybody is going to be happy to accept that as a nugget of supreme wisdom? lol

Across all countries and societies that I am aware of, men are far more likely to be rapists than women.

The sole unifying factor is maleness, ergo, maleness is a primary cause of rape. That may be culturally common across all societies or it may be a biological factor but either way, the state of being male appears to be a primary cause of being a rapist. It is not required that you be a rapist because you are male, but either maleness is a significant factor in making people rapists, being a rapist makes people male (unlikely) or some other third factor makes people both male and a rapist (again unlikely).

What other conclusion can be drawn?

CrazyLoon posted:

Every progressive ITT has taken every opportunity they can to scream, at how it's all just RACISM and how an entire people are being painted with the same negative brush, simply due to their cultural/religious background.

And while I admit to hold some sympathy for that point of view (even if the reality is ultimately far more complicated), the sympathy I hold for progressives drops to zero when with the next breath they unironically say something as retarded as: "Rapists rape, because they are men!" and paint an entire people with the same negative brush themselves.

Men are not an oppressed minority hth.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

computer parts posted:

In their pink Cadillacs?

Actually no, the social democracy of Sweden provided them with train transportation

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I see basic logic, namely the recognition of affirming the consequent, is not a strong attribute of the permanently outraged.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

OwlFancier posted:

So that's really how it should be, huh?

If you are an oppressed minorty, you should never be painted with the same brush and no matter what lovely thing most within said minority do, it's always just 'cherrypicking' and never the whole truth.
But if you AREN'T an oppressed minority, then no matter what your views, if statistics show most rapists are men, therefore all men are rapists. If most CIS scum misunderstand the LGBT crowd, all of them must necessarily be without sympathy and are just trash. Ect.

I'm always amazed at how progressives don't catch on, just how dehumanizing this is. Like, I get it - they themselves have been dehumanized by the majority, so this is their chance to pay them back by bitching on the internet about it.

But that doesn't even remotely make it right.

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Mar 6, 2016

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

OwlFancier posted:

What about the men who are the majority of refugees in Europe. Or what about men in socially exluded shanty towns or men in severely underdeveloped countries, or...

Truly this forcibly relocated Maya man in a Guatemalan ghetto is more privileged than a middle class American woman.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Unless you believe rapist make up an appreciable number of men in general, the conclusion would clearly be that maleness plus at least one other factor would be the strongest predictors of who is a rapist and who is not.

We already have the terminology for this, sufficient and necessary variables.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Mar 6, 2016

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

CrazyLoon posted:

If you are an oppressed minorty, you should never be painted with the same brush and no matter what lovely thing most within said minority do, it's always just 'cherrypicking' and never the whole truth.
But if you AREN'T an oppressed minority, then no matter what your views, if statistics show most rapists are men, therefore all men are rapists. If most CIS scum misunderstand the LGBT crowd, all of them must necessarily be without sympathy and are just trash. Ect.

Just so you know, #NotAllMen is already an MRA term.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

computer parts posted:

In their pink Cadillacs?
Europe is not America.

OwlFancier posted:

Across all countries and societies that I am aware of, men are far more likely to be rapists than women.

The sole unifying factor is maleness, ergo, maleness is a primary cause of rape. That may be culturally common across all societies or it may be a biological factor but either way, the state of being male appears to be a primary cause of being a rapist. It is not required that you be a rapist because you are male, but either maleness is a significant factor in making people rapists, being a rapist makes people male (unlikely) or some other third factor makes people both male and a rapist (again unlikely).

What other conclusion can be drawn?
Unless you believe rapist make up an appreciable number of men in general, the conclusion would clearly be that maleness plus at least one other factor would be the strongest predictors of who is a rapist and who is not.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Europe is not America.

The symmetry in rhetoric is just incredibly amusing. Maybe Europe really is 30 years behind in race relations.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

computer parts posted:

And just so you know, I couldn't give a poo poo what MRA whiny babies do or say. They're every bit as bad, if not worse.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

computer parts posted:

Ah yes, the mra strawman.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

CrazyLoon posted:

If you are an oppressed minorty, you should never be painted with the same brush.

You should, probably, be as caring and kind to everyone as you possibly can, I simply don't care very much when it applies to people who will suffer absolutely no material consequences as a result of my being overly coarse in reference to them. I am not contributing to the great socail stigma oppressing men the world over by saying they're more likely to be rapists. So I don't see why I should really give much of a poo poo if it hurts people's feelings. It is a truth which merits disgust.

Again, all men are manifestly not rapists, but that does not preclude masculinity being a primary cause of being a rapist. Smoking is a primary cause of cancer, but not all cancer patients are smokers.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Possibly. I would like a more specific predictor but I am not aware of one. Rapists come from all stripes, but they're probably going to be men.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Mar 6, 2016

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

GaussianCopula posted:

I'm sorry to interrupt this thrilling discussion about dicks, jews, Hitler and Muslims, but there are the first leaks from tomorrow's EU SUmmit.

Source: http://www.politico.eu/article/balkan-route-closed-eu-to-declare/

Basically the EU has agreed to the inevitable and agreed to make Greece one big hotspot, while the cooperation with Turkey has to be bought with silence on Erdogan's moves to become Sultan Recep I.

If this actually goes through, watch the "refugee" numbers start to fall dramatically once the news starts to spread in Turkey etc over the next few months. Or unless they find another route. Eagerly awaiting when this happens and all the "they're genuine refugees escaping a war, we can't control the flow through policy" crowd admit they were wrong. :allears:

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

computer parts posted:

The symmetry in rhetoric is just incredibly amusing. Maybe Europe really is 30 years behind in race relations.

Trump lets us know we're pretty much on par.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state

I read the first paragraph of the original study and it mentioned the "1 in 5 women will get raped on campus" nonsense and I immediately closed the tab.

quote:

It's probably not a big deal for you because you are a straight white middle class male.

And yet I've never catcalled in my life but I have been groped by a group of women in a public place. Funny, huh.

quote:

LOL if you are a physics guy in any way and don't know who Marie Curie is.

First of all, I have understood that reading comprehension in D&D seems to be lacking to say the least. I did say that the Polish maiden name threw me off, didn't I? In any case, I have no problem admitting that I don't know a lot of influential scientists of the 20th century because my interest in physics and astronomy is a hobby and not a profession. There are a couple of individuals that I have read about/followed almost to the point of stalking, Leonard Susskind being one. I am mostly interested in the ideas and principles, my most recent topic of interest is whether an Alcubierre drive could be used to violate global causality which is an extremely interesting subject IMHO. Everett's proof of how an Alcubierre drive can be used to form closed timelike curves is a bit over my head mathematically, but I'm thinking of getting his book nonetheless. Chronology protection conjecture is a pretty elegant solution to the problem of CTCs and that is what Alcubierre seemed to prefer himself. Without any mathematical knowledge I would personally suggest that any sequence of events that seem to follow each other in a "scrambled" way is merely a biproduct of our limited ability of to process the lack of so-called universal time and as far as cause and effect are not switched around the way observers agree or disagree on the exact sequence of events within the confines of the observable universe doesn't really matter.

quote:

Maybe because in the opposite situation the power balance (both physical and social) would have been completely different. The flip side is that if some woman ever rapes you you'll have an even harder time getting help than a women who was raped by a man.

That is true.

quote:

Please don't be sexist, why the gently caress are you calling men dumb?

It is absolutely a fact that men are much less sensitive to reading subtle cues in body language and facial expressions and even subtle nuances in the use of language.

quote:

Ok. Next you'll see feminists just need a good hard dicking, huh?

I hardly think that. One of my good... let's say "friends" from high school is a feminist and I happen to know that she has had some pretty terrible experiences with men and that is the sole reason she is living with a woman. I think it's a shame how some men treat women. Most men, however, idolize women and would do pretty much anything to get the attention of their woman of choice.

Rappaport posted:

Ionizing radiation and nuclear processes were kind of a big deal to a bunch of physicists in the 1930s and '40s, maybe you've heard of those guys?

As I mentioned before, she was even discussed in school, I can't remember whether it was physics, chemistry or history class. It's been a quite a long time since I was in high school.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

computer parts posted:

Lack of symmetry in what's discussed makes symmetry in rhetoric irrelevant.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

OhYeah posted:

As I mentioned before, she was even discussed in school, I can't remember whether it was physics, chemistry or history class. It's been a quite a long time since I was in high school.

I'm sorry I was a dick, I just think she's a cool person and her contributions were important! I should've been more open and helpful towards you instead of being a flaming jackass :)

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Lack of symmetry in what's discussed makes symmetry in rhetoric irrelevant.

What, in your mind, is the major difference?

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Geriatric Pirate posted:

If this actually goes through, watch the "refugee" numbers start to fall dramatically once the news starts to spread in Turkey etc over the next few months. Or unless they find another route. Eagerly awaiting when this happens and all the "they're genuine refugees escaping a war, we can't control the flow through policy" crowd admit they were wrong. :allears:

Well, I still maintain that the root cause of the crisis lies with Greece and SYRIZA, who opened the refugee camps and gave everyone papers to travel freely through the country shortly after coming into power. When the knowledge that you can get into the richer parts of Europe relatively easily spread, the refugee wave started to roll and Merkel or, to be more precise, the people with "refugees welcome" banners at the Munich train station, put only more oil into the fire.

But I guess there is the hope that we will get a few more falafel places in the future and spending the money on refugees might even be a better investment than increasing pension.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

GaussianCopula posted:

Well, I still maintain that the root cause of the crisis lies with Greece and SYRIZA, who opened the refugee camps and gave everyone papers to travel freely through the country shortly after coming into power. When the knowledge that you can get into the richer parts of Europe relatively easily spread, the refugee wave started to roll and Merkel or, to be more precise, the people with "refugees welcome" banners at the Munich train station, put only more oil into the fire.

But I guess there is the hope that we will get a few more falafel places in the future and spending the money on refugees might even be a better investment than increasing pension.

you are an awful person. you, personally, are a really lovely guy.

it is my hope that, being informed of this on a semi-regular basis, you will eventually have some cause for introspection and try somehow to be less lovely a guy

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I wonder why all these people just spontaneously decided that they really need to move somewhere nicer at this moment in time when things are actually really OK where they live, not like there's a war on there or anything. They just felt like moving.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

OhYeah posted:

I think it's a shame how some men treat women. Most men, however, idolize women and would do pretty much anything to get the attention of their woman of choice.

I don't care to address all of your other ridiculous points, but if you can't see how the behavior that you ascribe to most men isn't much better...

Women are not idols. They are humans, they are persons.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

computer parts posted:

What, in your mind, is the major difference?
You know what, no. You tell me the materially relevant similarities between African-American women in the US during the Regan era, and young male Middle Eastern immigrants in the not at all politically or economically united Europe in the present.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

I wonder why all these people just spontaneously decided that they really need to move somewhere nicer at this moment in time when things are actually really OK where they live, not like there's a war on there or anything. They just felt like moving.

Their rationale is completely sound, if you choice is to live in a refugee camp or reach Germany, the land where everyone gets a car, job, house and hot blonde girlfriend, with relatively minor risks and expenses (~<1% chance of death, 1000-3000€ expenses) who would want to stay?
I'm not discounting the fact that the UNHCR financing crisis contributed to the amount of people that came, but if you actually read what refugees say, it's relatively rare that they came directly from Syria or were starving.

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures

OwlFancier posted:

loving massive number of people who arrived to Finland have already decided that they want to go back to Iraq. Apparently life in refugee shelter while your application is processed is worse than dodging bombs, terrorists and death squads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

GaussianCopula posted:

Spending money on the 25% of refugees that are coming from Syria (and whatever from Iraq, Yemen, Afghanistan) who will actually be allowed to stay? Has a chance of being a good investment, though not that likely given the education gap, different values etc. But let's see. Spending money on all the others, including those coming from Algeria, Morocco, Egypt, Eritrea and all these other countries that will not qualify for asylum: lol.

You can blame Greece for not registering them and allowing them to move through Europe to pick the most generous welfare system and highest chance of getting asylum, but in the end Greece is in the middle of a massive economic crisis, so I can't blame them too much. You can't really blame anyone except the EU as a collective. The best you can do is laugh at the naive idiots who a) thought these guys would integrate well, b) though they would provide a short term economic boost and c) thought that all the refugees are escaping a war or something.

Here's an example of one:

V. Illych L. posted:

you are an awful person. you, personally, are a really lovely guy.

it is my hope that, being informed of this on a semi-regular basis, you will eventually have some cause for introspection and try somehow to be less lovely a guy

• Locked thread