Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

shyduck posted:

https://twitter.com/DisneyAPromos/status/1788932640365564047

Just saw it. It was bad but it was only 4 minutes long

They did this before with a bunch of Disney characters hanging out at moes bar why is there a need to do it again. gently caress off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
But look at all these brands we own, pay homage to the brands, worship the brands

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JmVjdYE7qY

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Dreamworks should do a counterspecial where shrek meets steamboat willy

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

https://x.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1788995594846937148

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

The low art quality and random selection of characters really does make it look like it's part 783 of a series of pictures on some obsessive 14 year old's deviantart account.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Can't help but notice that despite Disney's ample supply of them, there isn't a single public domain character in that image.

Disney using the Simpsons as mascots always feels like plagiarism to me, like they're actively trying to take credit for it.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

I just realized that that image really only has Disney characters from the past twenty-some years. I see they threw Tarzan in there for the ‘90s, but it’s like someone said, “Hey, so we also need some older characters, too” and out of all the memorable characters they could have thrown in from countless decades of media, they went with the puppies from 101 Dalmatians and the kittens from The Aristocats.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

101 Dalmations is at least kinda fitting; aside from the episode paying homage to it, iirc that's been said to have been a major influence on the Simpsons, especially the scene where the puppies are watching television; cartoon characters watching cartoons themselves.

Tarzan is a funny once given Disney iirc was trying to pretend that didn't exist for a while since the license expired, but then Edgar Rice Burrough's stuff all became public domain.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Tarzan is technically public domain, but a weird choice. The Snow Queen is also public domain, but Frozen was altered way past the point of recognition for that so it's basically original.

I feel like The Simpsons should have the courage to assert its own style and make most of those characters yellow, as it is they just look badly drawn rather than adapted for the Simpsons. Except there do seem to be two characters they felt free to make yellow for some reason. There's something weird going on with the various shades of pink they're using for the characters as well, Hiro from Big Hero 6 looks weirdly dark?

They also look like they were drawn in vector images and scaled badly, so you get a lot of characters who don't really seem to fit right. Some of them might've been outright traced? The Turning Red girl looks a bit like that. The Bluey dogs seem way small, although I guess technically they're around the size of the dalmatian puppies (although the dalmatians from the movie were literally born yesterday, so the Bluey dogs have to be older). The foods on the table actually are what made me think of vector scaling, they've got a lot of detail relative to their size.

Part of what makes them look bad is the fact that they've got hard black outlines, which clashes the most with the 3D characters who normally have no outlines at all, but the characters from Tarzan, Lilo & Stitch, and Bluey all have softer colored outlines.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

SlothfulCobra posted:

There's something weird going on with the various shades of pink they're using for the characters as well, Hiro from Big Hero 6 looks weirdly dark?

That's Miguel from Coco.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Disney is currently about as bad as they've ever been with obsessing over Brand Identity while simultaneously having no idea of what their identity actually is or why people like any of the things they've ever made.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

SlothfulCobra posted:

I feel like The Simpsons should have the courage to assert its own style and make most of those characters yellow, as it is they just look badly drawn rather than adapted for the Simpsons. Except there do seem to be two characters they felt free to make yellow for some reason. There's something weird going on with the various shades of pink they're using for the characters as well, Hiro from Big Hero 6 looks weirdly dark?

I have no idea who the two yellow star wars people are even supposed to be. Maybe just some springfieldians who saw there were star wars people at the Simpsons' and went and got their star wars robes?

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
why does Lilos face look like that

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Regular Wario posted:

Lerlee & Storrch

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
lol at a simpsons cameo being the 2nd worse Lilo & Stitch thing in 2024.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Regular Wario posted:

They gave her the Simpsons overbite.

It’s weird, some of the characters are Simpsonized like Miguel and Lilo, some of the characters are ordinary representations of what they look like like the Encanto women and The Incredibles… and the rest just look like poop. It’s the pupils (irises?), too.

None of it makes sense.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Regular Wario posted:

Because the art is poo poo.

Although ironically, I think it's a sign that whoever was drawing the scene was actually trying with those characters and attempting to interpret Lilo's face through the principles of the Simpsons style. I think the eyes look worst because they couldn't really figure out how to deal with narrow eyes with big pupils from a 3/4 angle.

A lot of the other characters seem more traced rather than try putting them through a simpson filter.

The Moon Monster posted:

I have no idea who the two yellow star wars people are even supposed to be. Maybe just some springfieldians who saw there were star wars people at the Simpsons' and went and got their star wars robes?

I was a little happy that I didn't recognize them because that means that I'm not totally gone with knowing too much about Star Wars, but my guess is that they might be from the High Republic.

There's also some kind of Star Wars kids' shows Disney is doing that I haven't seen, maybe they could be from those.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

:kstarehair:

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

this was the highest point of the simpsons

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
hey remember that parody of eurodance music that was popular on twitter for like 17 hours last summer, and then the guy went up his own rear end with it

guess who's in spriiiiiingfiiieeeeeeld?!?!

https://x.com/TheSimpsons/status/1789816702869348687

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I just let out the biggest sigh

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Remember way back when Leonard Nimoy teleporting away at the end of the monorail episode was considered a bit controversial for ruining the reality of the show too much.

That really was a while ago, huh.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
It was a while ago, AND it was in what ended up being one of the most revered episodes of the entire series

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Yeah, what a banger of an episode that was. Just crazy good.

Also it showed how to do a music bit in the Simpsons right. Who needs the quick mart, also a good example.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

dr_rat posted:

Remember way back when Leonard Nimoy teleporting away at the end of the monorail episode was considered a bit controversial for ruining the reality of the show too much.

That really was a while ago, huh.
It just occurred to me this gag may have came out of that

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

dr_rat posted:

Who needs the quick mart

~ I doooooo ~ :smith:

But yes, your point stands

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

dr_rat posted:

I'm not old enough to have seen the arguments about this when it came out but is this a proto-internet Simpsons slapfight? Like the nerds arguing about Kirk vs Picard?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

FulsomFrank posted:

I'm not old enough to have seen the arguments about this when it came out but is this a proto-internet Simpsons slapfight? Like the nerds arguing about Kirk vs Picard?

Not sure about the internet part, not sure I had an internet connection then either, I just remember hearing about it from the writers bring it up. Possibly from here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtJ28qOEG1g

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I'm sure alt.nerd.obsessive was in an uproar

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

FulsomFrank posted:

Wikipedia posted:

Conversely, the episode was not initially well received by many fans of the show's earlier seasons, as it was a particularly absurd early example of the show taking a more joke-based cartoon approach to comedy, rather than the more realistic situational style of comedy it had employed in its first few years. In 1995, during the production of the seventh season, Yeardley Smith said of the episode as "truly one of our worst—we [the entire cast] all agree".[6]

Is this complete oblivious to what made everyone like the show, or just looking back from golden heights of S7 and being able to say that Marge vs. the Monorail really was one of the worst at that stage?

Have to wonder what Yeardley thinks of the 600 or so episodes since then!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

BalloonFish posted:

Have to wonder what Yeardley thinks of the 600 or so episodes since then!

"Michael Caine" posted:

I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Harry Shearer totally agreed that a musical parody episode sucked huh

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

This musical bit caused an uproar at the time and Bart had a follow-up chalkboard gag that said “I will not defame New Orleans” lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuQjoaYIwQA

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

The Simpsons used to offend sitting Presidents and entire cities, now it just offends me

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

shyduck posted:

I just let out the biggest sigh

I heard it.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

my god that tipping song

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

You Are A Werewolf posted:

This musical bit caused an uproar at the time and Bart had a follow-up chalkboard gag that said “I will not defame New Orleans” lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuQjoaYIwQA

Marge's comically raspy and rough singing voice here sounds better than her normal voice now.

The whole Streetcar! sequence is so good. The show lost the ability to do things that were both clear parodies but were also quality work in themselves ages ago.

I also love how Springfield theatre uses an entire rotating two-sided set just so it can appear as the Superdome at the start.

Like how the perennially cash-strapped Springfield Elementary had a giant animatronic Mount Rushmore to lower in for the Presidents Day show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Riptor posted:

hey remember that parody of eurodance music that was popular on twitter for like 17 hours last summer, and then the guy went up his own rear end with it

guess who's in spriiiiiingfiiieeeeeeld?!?!

https://x.com/TheSimpsons/status/1789816702869348687

lol wait that's who they are? I assumed they were a lot more Tiktok famous than that.

It's no Europapa that's for sure.