Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I only ever watched an LP of cryostasis but it was a neat game to watch and it's too bad it isn't easily available on steam.

I looked it up and I'm not surprised to find out the devs are Ukrainian. Games from that area are weird but cool and tend to have an atmosphere and aesthetic I don't see captured in other games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
That's what made Stalker so special. I find that stuff refreshing because of the themes of the writing; western and Japanese games writing tends to focus to one degree some take on good vs evil, while old Soviet genre fiction and even modern Russian and eastern bloc stuff always always always is just about shared humanity, which I really like. Cryostasis was :discourse: in this respect. Russians still do it in their genre stuff: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11905962/?ref_=fn_al_tt_2

al-azad
May 28, 2009

PS4/PS5 exclusive Village demo 5pm pacific, playable for 8 hours lol. Castle demo next week. Demo on all platformers start of May.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Wait a new demo? :aaa:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I'm excited for the new Mercenaries mode although my inner pedant is mad they're not calling it Raid mode from Revelations. Mercenaries is a character based time attack, Raid you go level by level and spend points to upgrade weapons.

Whatever it looks good, like first person RE4. No human shaped blobs of goo except for maybe that shopkeeper.

e: correction the playstation village demo is tomorrow 5pm pacific which is better. 30 minutes timed, available for 8 hours. Castle demo for playstation platforms (30 minutes timed, available for 8 hours) is next week. May 1st is the multiplatform demo permanently available and is 60 minutes timed!

al-azad fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Apr 16, 2021

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Is time-locked demos a new trend? I don't really get the point of doing it that way, it seems like a strange promotional choice.

edit: I mean the "only available for 8 hours" part, I know 30- or 60-minute cutoffs on demos have been around for a minute. I think that trend is also dumb as hell, but I guess I can understand how it might be preferable, to a developer, compared to a single feature-limited demo area or whatever like everybody used to do.

MockingQuantum fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Apr 16, 2021

al-azad
May 28, 2009

In this case it seems like Sony paid for early access.

In general though, talking about stuff like Steam’s demo events, it seems to be a promotional tactic and it works.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The Village demo was promising. Unfortunately most of your 30 minutes are cutscenes and wandering around but the little taste of gunplay and making Ethan a bit more agile shows off a far more dynamic game than the slow-oozeman shooting in cramped corridors of re7. I only hope they can maintain the pacing all the way through and it doesn’t turn into a janky gears of war in the end chapters like RE4-6 do to various degrees.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I generally didn’t like the enemy design and variety in Re7 (despite liking the game overall) so I’m pretty stoked to see where Re8 is headed by comparison.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Yeah, the molded were the most pervasive flaw in 7 outside of their intro and a few creepy sections. I've ignored almost everything about 8's details so I don't know anything about them, but fighting potato people who are jumping at you out of tall grass was instantly more exciting.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

We’re finally getting a good werewolf game and I hope Ethan gets lycan powers.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Wolfman Chris and Stitchman Ethan would be a pretty rad teamup.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I'm glad the tone they settled on with Ethan is "guy who is already sick of monsters and dumb puzzle houses"

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Blockhouse posted:

I'm glad the tone they settled on with Ethan is "guy who is already sick of monsters and dumb puzzle houses"

It's 100% the way anyone who's been a Resident Evil protagonist before and now has to go through a Resident Evil game AGAIN would feel.

"No, no, oh GOD no! I am so sick of this, gently caress, I'd even be fine with the zombies if I could just have no more BULLSHIT puzzles!!!"

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Bloodborne

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Chris is the only RE protag who takes this poo poo seriously and every game he’s dour as gently caress. Meanwhile Leon is making the Dreamworks face and Claire is like “aw poo poo, here we go again.”

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
In a world where it appears ptsd doesnt exist, really the correct reaction to getting thrown into a bullshit puzzle house of monsters can only be 'god loving damnit not this poo poo'

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Morpheus posted:

In a world where it appears ptsd doesnt exist, really the correct reaction to getting thrown into a bullshit puzzle house of monsters can only be 'god loving damnit not this poo poo'

Chris is absolutely suffering from PTSD. Dude lost a fight with a super powered monster and then got jacked as hell to prevent losing again

He spends RE6 drowning in a bottle after losing his men to another BOW attack

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Len posted:

Chris is absolutely suffering from PTSD. Dude lost a fight with a super powered monster and then got jacked as hell to prevent losing again

He spends RE6 drowning in a bottle after losing his men to another BOW attack

Yeah but then it all turns out to be part of a cliche redemption arc when he overcomes his trauma once and for all so he can cathartically punch a boulder into pieces

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Boulder punch therapy came before the spiral into alcoholism. Chris just can't catch a drat break, dude is straight up jinxed with a death curse and has a huge hero complex on his shoulders.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I can't help but wonder if all the lady dimitrescu hype isn't going to blow up in Capcom's face

Like everything about her screams that she's going to be an area boss and dead like four hours into the game and when you've got people that invested in a character it might be a huge let down to anyone not reading between the lines

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

If they include an optional early failstate in which you become her slave and the game ends I don't think anyone will complain

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Lady DLC where you just get to hang around your castle stomping on Ethans

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019

Blockhouse posted:

I can't help but wonder if all the lady dimitrescu hype isn't going to blow up in Capcom's face

Like everything about her screams that she's going to be an area boss and dead like four hours into the game and when you've got people that invested in a character it might be a huge let down to anyone not reading between the lines

Yeah, people are expecting mr. x from leon’s run. If ethan ganks her a fourth of the way through the game he’ll become a villain protagonist for a lot of people.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
At the very least they'll probably be happy with the mercenaries mode, I can't imagine with all the press about her that Capcom would have a mercenaries mode and not let her be playable.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

FirstAidKite posted:

At the very least they'll probably be happy with the mercenaries mode, I can't imagine with all the press about her that Capcom would have a mercenaries mode and not let her be playable.

Just a ton of giant ladies duking it out.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Memorable villains done dirty:

Vaas from FC3 died at the two-thirds point. The last-third felt like a distant sequel because he's scarecly mentioned again and has no lasting effect on the plot.

Nemesis from REmake3 sadly lost his personality by the mid-point. Had there been a longer Jill and Nemmy section between the two Carlos chapters it would have been an improvement.

The actual villian of RE7 feels pretty old hat next to the more colorful Bakers.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Except for Nemesis in the original RE3 the series has never really dwelt on a villain. They’ll be in the background and appear for their climax or harass you a few times but with that said everyone has fondness for weirdos like Salazar even though he is just the area boss of the castle.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Resident Evil Revelaitons did a pretty good job with its spread of bosses and villains imo, the main villain was memorable enough without actually being a boss while the final boss was memorable as a villain too while not being the main villain of the plot, and boss villain that shows up at certain points to chase you around was pretty fun too.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The actual villian of RE7 feels pretty old hat next to the more colorful Bakers.

Yeeeah, Jack and later Joe as protagonist just stole the whole show in RE7, Lucas was also a great smarmy rear end in a top hat villain, Marguerite was creepy but kinda fell behind the others.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Marge got the best boss fight so it's alright.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

al-azad posted:

Marge got the best boss fight so it's alright.

Idk, Jack's got some pretty damned good ones

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
none of the boss fights are good!!!!!!!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Jack's the best for having the most interesting and varied ones. I like that in the garage fight I totally failed at fighting him normally the first time, then instantly grabbed the keys and basically QTE-killed him with his own car the second time around :v:

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
remember the steve buscemi villain from RE5? i forget his name completely. it began with an I?

bargain-basement Salazar. they needed to give him an anachronistic hat if they wanted me to like him. doesn't have to be a tricorn, could be like a stovepipe hat or something, or one of those floofy hats the three musketeers wear

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Bonaventure posted:

remember the steve buscemi villain from RE5? i forget his name completely. it began with an I?

bargain-basement Salazar. they needed to give him an anachronistic hat if they wanted me to like him. doesn't have to be a tricorn, could be like a stovepipe hat or something, or one of those floofy hats the three musketeers wear

Irving, the man who looked a few chromosomes short a genome?

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I'm replaying RE7 to get ready for 8, and am having a harder time with the shooting than I remember (granted, I first played on release so I don't remember much). I feel like the molded keep juking my headshots in a way that ends up really pissing me off. I turned off camera acceleration to see if that would help my aim but I don't really think it did.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

I played through the entirety of RE5 over a single night with a friend and could not tell you a single thing about the plot except that Chris Redfield shoots a lot of Africans with Shiva.

Like, not a single thing. There was....probably some sort of virus, like the T Virus but with a different letter? I imagine Umbrella was involved somehow. I remember jumping across a gap. And...a boat?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

There was definitely a boulder and a couple of boobs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Captain Hygiene posted:

There was definitely a boulder and a couple of boobs

Oh right that was the boulder game, for some reason I thought that was 6 (never played 6)