Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

wizzardstaff posted:

Hello car buying thread. Never visited this forum before but I'm looking for recommendations on a specific car: 2010 Honda Insight.

My friend's parents (who I trust) bought this car new and have performed regular maintenance. It has 160k miles. I have an opportunity to buy it for blue book value but they live several hours away and I need to make this call sight unseen, and I need to make it by the end of the weekend. I'm not familiar with this model at all so I'm trying to learn everything I can about it.

My needs:
-I'd like to not have to buy another car for a while.
-I'm not very proficient in maintenance more complicated than performing a jump start. (Yes, I should learn more.)
-I'm mainly a city driver but take occasional highway trips or go camping.
-I have one toddler in a car seat and do not plan for more kids.
-Easy handling is important to me; I'd like something that doesn't turn like a boat.

Any insights are appreciated. Thank you!

Oh, hey, a friend of mine has one of those. The second-gen Insight was never all that great and was always outclassed by the Prius, but then, the Prius is kind of the gold standard for "boring reliable transportation," so not quite being Prius levels of boringly good isn't the worst thing in the world. Honda's IMA hybrid system is basically a huge starter motor that can help move the car a little bit, and isn't nearly as sophisticated as Toyota's HSD planetary gearset. The Insight's CVT isn't bad, but the Prius just doesn't have a conventional transmission to worry about at all, which is where it gets most of its reputation for bulletproof reliability.

In terms of things to look out for, later second gen Insights had some oil consumption problems, but I don't think it hit the 2010, and if it was going to be a problem you'd already see it in the service records. Also, the transmission holds up well when it's serviced at the right intervals with the right fluid, but there are horror stories of independent shops and quick-lube places putting generic ATF in there instead of the Honda CVT-specific stuff and grenading the transmission. Again, you should be able to see in the maintenance records if this is a problem. If the car had transmission fluid service done at Jiffy Lube, don't buy it.

When you say "easy handling," what do you mean, exactly? The Insight's handling won't be sharp or fun; it's designed for efficiency and comfort, not darting around backroads. It's better than a Prius but it's nowhere near sporty. Practical concerns like parallel parking and turning radius are about average for a car its size.

Ultimately, when you're in the 10 year old $4-5k car market, condition is at least as important as how good the car was when it was new. Complete maintenance records and a single, known trustworthy previous owner are huge wins. If you're already looking for a car, it's probably a sensible choice. If I were in your shoes, I'd probably say yes, contingent on a local mechanic doing a pre-purchase inspection and not raising any red flags (you choose the shop and pay for the inspection, the current owner takes it there and picks it up).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

okay guys, did a lot of thinking, and based on my predictions that i will be driving a whole lot more with my new car, i think i'm going to bite the bullet and get a hybrid (probably gonna go for the 2021 carolla).

i do have one final concern. i hear replacing the battery is going to be the most expensive problem to fix/replace if it were to ever break down. how likely is it that such a thing can happen?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Mr Interweb posted:

okay guys, did a lot of thinking, and based on my predictions that i will be driving a whole lot more with my new car, i think i'm going to bite the bullet and get a hybrid (probably gonna go for the 2021 carolla).

i do have one final concern. i hear replacing the battery is going to be the most expensive problem to fix/replace if it were to ever break down. how likely is it that such a thing can happen?

We replaced the battery on our older Prius a couple months ago. It was about $2000 and we should be fine for another, like, decade.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Dunno where you are but in CARB states, the battery is under 150k/10 year warranty.
Assuming the technology is the same as a prius, I would assume it is very unlikely to need battery service wekl beyond that.
If it does fail, you generally don't have to replace the battery, just some cells. (Dealers won't do this, need to fo to an independent shop).
Even if you have to replace the battery, the cost is a bit inflated by the huge core charge (basically because the battery is so valuable even broken, Toyota will give you a big chunk of the price back when you give it to them rather than huck it in a river or something).

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

I'm looking at a 2015 Subaru Legacy, in great shape, in my price range, the only issue is the screen on the car has lines checker-boarding it, and its kind of dim. This makes me think that the screen is on the way out, and looking online shows that replacing this is about 2000 dollars, which would put the car at more than I want to spend. Am I right to be concerned about this or will the screen be fine?

If the price doesn't reflect that this needs to be replaced, then walk.

You're spending a lot of money on a car. If anything doesn't seem right, walk. Subaru Legacies are common and you should be able find a nice one without the screen issues.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Mr Interweb posted:

It's quite unlikely, but as Shine posted below, it will cost you about two thousand dollars total. The economics on Toyota hybrids are very good, and you'll save enough money in brake pads, rotors, and other maintenance items to pay for most of the cost of replacement if it ever happens.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Space Gopher posted:

Ultimately, when you're in the 10 year old $4-5k car market, condition is at least as important as how good the car was when it was new. Complete maintenance records and a single, known trustworthy previous owner are huge wins. If you're already looking for a car, it's probably a sensible choice. If I were in your shoes, I'd probably say yes, contingent on a local mechanic doing a pre-purchase inspection and not raising any red flags (you choose the shop and pay for the inspection, the current owner takes it there and picks it up).
Thanks for the response. Ultimately I decided not to go for it as there was a misunderstanding with the seller about how the car was going to make its way across the state to me 4 hours away. (I thought they had already been planning on transporting it regardless.) Still, good advice and I appreciate it.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I might go look at a Prius. I never thought I'd say that. It's a 2007, I think the top trim(?) with 107k miles and they're asking $6k.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

fknlo posted:

I might go look at a Prius. I never thought I'd say that. It's a 2007, I think the top trim(?) with 107k miles and they're asking $6k.

On one that old, probably check the battery.
Also, the only real problems on those cars is the water pump, which can leak.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

nm posted:

On one that old, probably check the battery.
Also, the only real problems on those cars is the water pump, which can leak.

Is there a way to check the battery without a PPI? I'm going to try and get a PPI set up if I decide I want it, but I'm not super worried about it if I can't make it happen. Luckily there's what looks to be a pretty good hybrid repair shop that's maybe 15 minutes away so if they aren't completely booked up I can probably make it happen.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

If it's actually turbofucked it'll set a check engine light and associated codes. I don't recall whether or not Torque with an OBD2 scanner could see any other battery metrics the one time I hooked it up to a Prius - because in that case the codes were set and the battery was indeed hosed. Luckily it was within the last few months of the emissions warranty so he got a new battery on Toyota's dime.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
If any of the battery cells drop below their designated resistance, the whole dash lights up and the car goes into some kind of limp mode. There's nothing for you to check or test until that happens. Save your money.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
So basically if it's running, the dash isn't going all VW style with pretty colors, and it drives alright it's probably good to go?

e: I'll also see if I can see any leaks from the water pump. Once I look at it I'll pull the carfax if I'm interested. The owner doesn't physically have service records but it looks like there are probably a bunch of them.

fknlo fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Sep 7, 2020

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

fknlo posted:

So basically if it's running, the dash isn't going all VW style with pretty colors, and it drives alright it's probably good to go?

e: I'll also see if I can see any leaks from the water pump. Once I look at it I'll pull the carfax if I'm interested. The owner doesn't physically have service records but it looks like there are probably a bunch of them.
With a car this old, You're looking for common items like worn out tires, suspension, alignment, signs of accident repairs, excessive wear and tear on components, etc. The drivetrain should not be making excessive noises, or have visual leaks. Change the fluids after you buy it, maybe a tune-up, and that's about it. Then sell it for the same amount of money 3 years down the road. Stupid things are like cockroaches, and refuse to drop in value.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Are the last bmw 3 and 5 series wagons with a manual a horrible idea because of maintenance, scarcity and thus price, and/or yes?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Meatpimp in AI is a pretty handy dude and he owned (granted a somewhat tired example with no service history) an E61 535ixT with a manual. You should read his thread in AI first. I offered to buy the car off of him and he straight up told me I didn’t want it.

All of the foibles and problems of cost-cutting era BMW, now in a 50-150% more expensive package

Edit it was a E60, we didn’t get the F10

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Sep 8, 2020

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Pontius Pilate posted:

Are the last bmw 3 and 5 series wagons with a manual a horrible idea because of maintenance, scarcity and thus price, and/or yes?

It's a bad idea. I thought about it as well because I really wanted a wagon, but it's just not worth it unless you have the extra money in addition to the cost of the car to fix poo poo out of warranty. If you can get one with a warranty maybe, but if you keep it long enough you're gonna be paying the tax eventually.

I just got a Toyota because I wanted the least amount of problems and ease/low cost of maintenance.

Academician Nomad
Jan 29, 2016
Proposed Budget: Not super pressed, we have fancy jobs. $30k-ish is fine? Of course cheaper is better.
New or Used: New
Body Style: Flexible between sedan, hatchback, or small SUV
How will you be using the car?: 2 adults + 1 baby + 1 large dog. Mostly for running errands, our regular weekend trips, occasional longer drives. No commuting by car. I dislike driving so it's really functionality I'm after.
What aspects are most important to you? Safety, MPG (for both enviro. & practical reasons), reliability (plan to run it into the ground), wife really wants heated seats. I do a decent amount of DIY so it would be handy to be able to haul a decent amount of larger things (e.g. boards, large electronics) on occasion, but if push comes to shove I can rent a van through Zipcar or Home Depot for that.

Almost certainly getting a hybrid. I did a bunch of research ~5 years ago and was gung-ho on a Prius, but then moved and didn't need a car, so I came in assuming Prius again, but now I'm currently looking hard at a 2020 or 2021 Honda Insight, Hyundai Sonata, or Accord Hybrid. The hatchback on the Prius is attractive but the reviews aren't so stellar these days vis-a-vis the other hybrid options. I think I could live with a regular sedan. I'm not against an earlier model Prius either in theory, but those don't seem easy to get at a decent price.

I wish hybrid small SUV with good MPG were a thing, but the closest I see is the Ford Escape at ~40mpg in practice, which is decent and another contender. I like CR-Vs in general but the hybrid seems to get just ~33mpg in reviews at which point I might as well get a non-hybrid. My wife hates RAV-4s and Corollas so those are out.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

why does your wife hate the RAV4, on paper it's exactly what you want

Academician Nomad
Jan 29, 2016

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

why does your wife hate the RAV4, on paper it's exactly what you want

She just does apparently, arbitrary preference. I agree RAV4 hybrid would be a contender otherwise. Oh well.

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

Academician Nomad posted:

She just does apparently, arbitrary preference. I agree RAV4 hybrid would be a contender otherwise. Oh well.

My wife also hates RAV4s, which was on the list of "cars that meet our specs", who knows.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

Proposed Budget: Not super pressed, we have fancy jobs. $30k-ish is fine? Of course cheaper is better.
New or Used: New
Body Style: Flexible between sedan, hatchback, or small SUV
How will you be using the car?: 2 adults + 1 baby + 1 large dog. Mostly for running errands, our regular weekend trips, occasional longer drives. No commuting by car. I dislike driving so it's really functionality I'm after.
What aspects are most important to you? Safety, MPG (for both enviro. & practical reasons), reliability (plan to run it into the ground), wife really wants heated seats. I do a decent amount of DIY so it would be handy to be able to haul a decent amount of larger things (e.g. boards, large electronics) on occasion, but if push comes to shove I can rent a van through Zipcar or Home Depot for that.

Almost certainly getting a hybrid. I did a bunch of research ~5 years ago and was gung-ho on a Prius, but then moved and didn't need a car, so I came in assuming Prius again, but now I'm currently looking hard at a 2020 or 2021 Honda Insight, Hyundai Sonata, or Accord Hybrid. The hatchback on the Prius is attractive but the reviews aren't so stellar these days vis-a-vis the other hybrid options. I think I could live with a regular sedan. I'm not against an earlier model Prius either in theory, but those don't seem easy to get at a decent price.

I wish hybrid small SUV with good MPG were a thing, but the closest I see is the Ford Escape at ~40mpg in practice, which is decent and another contender. I like CR-Vs in general but the hybrid seems to get just ~33mpg in reviews at which point I might as well get a non-hybrid. My wife hates RAV-4s and Corollas so those are out.

Have you looked at a Hyundai Ioniq?

RAV4 as others have mentioned is probably a good bet but good luck convincing your wife! I've learned it's not even worth it most times.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Cars are inherantly irrational purchases, even to people who think of themselves as buying them for "practical" purposes. Otherwise, we'd all own a minivan and a small motorcycle. If your wife hates the way a Rav 4 looks, don't get it.

Edit: Volvo pretty much has the "I want everyone to know I care about the environment, but I'm too rich to buy a Prius and I'm not a nerd like those Tesla drivers" market locked down, so maybe try that.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Sep 8, 2020

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I have a friend for whom the RAV4 prime or whatever it is would be a perfect vehicle but she also doesn't like the RAV4. She said it's something about the interior.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

It doesn't matter what car it is, if you have to work hard to convince your partner to accept a car they don't like for ambiguous reasons, you'd better hope that car is perfect because any little problem is going to be your fault.

Academician Nomad
Jan 29, 2016

TheWevel posted:

Have you looked at a Hyundai Ioniq?

RAV4 as others have mentioned is probably a good bet but good luck convincing your wife! I've learned it's not even worth it most times.

All the reviews for the Ioniq I find I read as "this is a real piece of poo poo to drive, but it's very practical and even better in that sense than the Prius," at which point I'd think the Prius' name recognition will lead to better resale value in 10 years when no one in the world is searching craigslist for an Ioniq. If others have other experience with them I'd be interested to hear it, though.

And yeah it's not like a RAV4 is so heads-and-tails above others that it's worth a struggle over it.

KillHour posted:

Cars are inherantly irrational purchases, even to people who think of themselves as buying them for "practical" purposes. Otherwise, we'd all own a minivan and a small motorcycle. If your wife hates the way a Rav 4 looks, don't get it.

Edit: Volvo pretty much has the "I want everyone to know I care about the environment, but I'm too rich to buy a Prius and I'm not a nerd like those Tesla drivers" market locked down, so maybe try that.
Does Volvo actually make anything with particularly good MPG? None of their cars show up in any of the research I've been doing.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

OTOH, my SO hated the way the Stinger looked when she first test drove it but we got it anyways because it was by far the best bang for the buck (although it took some convincing) and now she loves that car and it's going to be a challenge to get her to give it back when the lease is up. It was a bit of an outlier situation and we weren't in the market for an appliance car though.

Does Volvo actually make anything with particularly good MPG? None of their cars show up in any of the research I've been doing.

Not quite as good as a Prius, IIRC, but they have plug in hybrids if you have a place to plug them in. Honestly, the difference between. 30mpg and 35mpg is so marginal, the impact to the environment starts to be more about manufacturing and reliability.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Sep 8, 2020

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Practically speaking, the hybrid CR-V's fuel economy is not that much worse than the Escape. At a pretty normal 15k mile a year clip, 2/3 highway 1/3 city, you would save all of 75 bucks a year by buying the Escape. It's like 30 bucks for the RAV4 over the CR-V.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

assuming google gave me correct answers, doesn't seem like anything is particularly great

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I don't think that's counting any of the PHEVs and what not.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

I would give little credence to Google's contextual search bubbles. They are usually 'correct enough' for a quick glance but can be wildly off.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=41947
27 MPG combined (gas only), 57 MPGe.

V60 Wagon gets better than the SUV, and it's a wagon so it's the obvious correct choice.

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=42985
30 MPG combined, 69MPGe (nice)

Whether a PHEV makes sense for you depends strongly on your driving habits. If you drive <20 miles per day on average and have a convenient place to plug it in, you might only need to gas up a few times a year. If not, it's no better than a typical hybrid. In either case, take solace in the fact that there's very little you can do to meaningfully affect your carbon footprint!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvhXtOps4MM

KillHour fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Sep 8, 2020

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

I agree with others that there's no point in forcing someone to like a car they don't.

But just in case the Rav4 dislike is based on appearance, the 2019+ got a complete overhaul. It looks a lot more aggressive now, sort of like a baby Tacoma/4Runner vibe. I think it's pretty sharp.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

All the reviews for the Ioniq I find I read as "this is a real piece of poo poo to drive, but it's very practical and even better in that sense than the Prius," at which point I'd think the Prius' name recognition will lead to better resale value in 10 years when no one in the world is searching craigslist for an Ioniq. If others have other experience with them I'd be interested to hear it, though.

And yeah it's not like a RAV4 is so heads-and-tails above others that it's worth a struggle over it.

The problem with the Ioniq is you have to deal with Hyundai dealers. And they haven't been building real hybrids as long so you don't know as much about the reliability.
Honestly, go drive the prius. If you can stand it, it is the best car in the class for a lot of things. If you can't, don't buy it. Reviews are very personal and not very useful IMHO. Remember the Prius plug in hybrid comes with massive tax rebates. In CA, they're basically 10k with the state and federal combined.

Volvo is absolute garbage reliability these days, unfortunately. Worse than the Germans and FCA from what I hear.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

nm posted:

Volvo is absolute garbage reliability these days, unfortunately. Worse than the Germans and FCA from what I hear.

When did this happen? I admit I haven't been keeping up with them but I thought they were decent on that front.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The last several years they've gotten a lot worse, but have they ever really been that reliable across models/years? I know there are some crazy high mileage volvos in the world, and their rust proofing seems to be quite good so they can last a long time, but when I was looking for XC70s and other wagons it seemed like you had to be very particular about the year. There would often be some gotcha where they mis-programmed the transmission for the first couple years of a model leading to them grenading frequently, or like the XC90s that had transmissions rated for way less torque than the engine they put in, leading to almost certain transmission failure.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Isn't a Lexus NX 300h the same platform as a RAV4 hybrid? Maybe see if she likes that.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

KillHour posted:

When did this happen? I admit I haven't been keeping up with them but I thought they were decent on that front.

It is very hard to build reliable vehicles when the new vehicles you are building share absolutely nothing in common - not even the factories in the case of the S60 and S90 - with their predecessors. This is compounded by the Rube Goldberg powertrains Volvo has to use to get around Chinese displacement taxes.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Proposed Budget: $25k
New or Used: Preferably new, but used with low mileage/recent year-ish is OK
Body Style: Smaller SUV, though not picky here on kind.
How will you be using the car?: Grocery shopping, going out of town. Not really for daily commutes - car would be used a handful of times each week.
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos?: Technology is cool, but doesn't need everything.
What aspects are most important to you? Reliability, cost of ownership/maintenance, safety, probably in that order.

Right now the lady and I have our eyes on the 2020 Escape SE (right around our budget), the Nissan Kicks, and the Kia Soul. Any advice on the 3 of these or in general?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

KillHour posted:

Last 5-10 years. Basically the newer models.
Not that it was amazing in the 00s, people just seem to think all Volvos are na 240s.