Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."
Most Baen covers look distinctly different for a reason and depending on your tastes it's either a sign of hey pick this up and check it out, or the equivalent of a venomous snake telling you to stay away. I generally find book cover has basically zero relationship with book quality, with the exception of indie books that are obviously did it up in 10 minutes in photoshop.

I still maintain this was one of the best covers I have ever seen because it caught my attention like no other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ShinsoBEAM! posted:

Most Baen covers look distinctly different for a reason and depending on your tastes it's either a sign of hey pick this up and check it out, or the equivalent of a venomous snake telling you to stay away. I generally find book cover has basically zero relationship with book quality, with the exception of indie books that are obviously did it up in 10 minutes in photoshop.

I still maintain this was one of the best covers I have ever seen because it caught my attention like no other.

Please tell me he rides that steer like a horse, and the blue saber-tooth is his faithful animal companion.

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

Proteus Jones posted:

Please tell me he rides that steer like a horse, and the blue saber-tooth is his faithful animal companion.

I have no idea, this is like some weird side story in some long series I got the first book and the blue cat people things were the bad guys so I find that doubtful it's his animal companion. The book wasn't very good.

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

Proteus Jones posted:

From the cover I get more of a vibe that the steer is riding the saber-tooth, while he walks in his power exoskeleton

I think the steer should be wearing a cowboy hat to make it complete, though

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

ShinsoBEAM! posted:

The book wasn't very good.
TFW you judge a book by its cover, and get it right.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

USMC_Karl posted:

I'm basically finished with The Stupidest Angel and, while it has absolutely no redeeming value and is basically a slapstick comedy in book form, am in love. Are the rest of his books similar? I'm trying not to spend money, but I could see myself sliding down a very dark hole full of stupid books.

Basically, yes.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

USMC_Karl posted:

I'm basically finished with The Stupidest Angel and, while it has absolutely no redeeming value and is basically a slapstick comedy in book form, am in love. Are the rest of his books similar? I'm trying not to spend money, but I could see myself sliding down a very dark hole full of stupid books.

It's the best Moore I've read but yeah they're all like that to one degree or another.

In a similar vein, I'd suggest Gil's All-Fright Diner by Lee Martinez.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

In a similar vein, I'd suggest Gil's All-Fright Diner by Lee Martinez.
This.

Also Emperor Mollusk Versus the Sinister Brain

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Neurosis posted:

that looks dreadful.

It's quite restrained for most Baen covers, the composition is good and Manly Chin doesn't look like he escaped from renders from a mid 90s FMV video game.

Comparatively:

ShinsoBEAM! posted:

Dirk "Starchaser" Koban readied his power armor and his best stetson hat. The tri-planet space cattle roundup was only a week away and felidon cattle rustlers were sure to try and steal the prize bull's gene sequence for themselves before it was delivered to the gene-vault on New Texas, which would ruin the space ranch's chances to pay off Pa's debts to the space trucker guild.

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

SUPPORTER OF THE REINSTATED LAWFUL HAWAIIAN GOVERNMENT. HAOLES GET OFF DA `AINA.

C.M. Kruger posted:

Dirk "Starchaser" Koban readied his power armor and his best stetson hat. The tri-planet space cattle roundup was only a week away and felidon cattle rustlers were sure to try and steal the prize bull's gene sequence for themselves before it was delivered to the gene-vault on New Texas, which would ruin the space ranch's chances to pay off Pa's debts to the space trucker guild.

I'd read it.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

C.M. Kruger posted:

Well at least tell us how it ends.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

John Ringo claws that catch, Travis S Taylor.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Run, Travis!

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

ShinsoBEAM! posted:

Pounded in the butt by terrible sci-fi

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

So Ninefox Gambit was decent, but hardly exceptional. Still worth reading.
It was basically like reading a worse version of Use of Weapons in terms of plot and execution.
The turnaround in the latter stage of the book was kinda expected. Can't say I have much inclination to continue with the series.

The whole thing about calendrical warfare is another case of "oh, lets come up with a cool gimmick in terms of world building and then skimp on the storyline" which most fantasy/scifi authors are culpable of. Making the protagonist lesbian felt more like "oh, let us make the protagonist special in so many ways" and could have been done better. There was a number of things that could have used more elaboration or could have been cut, since they didn't add much to the story but more served as a "look at this cool stuff".

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

The author did not make her a lesbian to make her "special".

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

To address the rest of your points, yeah. It's good sci-fi and I enjoyed it, but the twist was pretty obvious and not enough was done with the cool stuff in the setting. I really dug how cool the setting was - the servitors, the fencing, everything - but the book was so fixated on the military stuff it felt like it missed an opportunity.

That said, I liked the writing and characters enough to want to read the next one.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

:whoptc:

When I think Baen covers I think stuff like this:

Which isn't going to win any awards, but is competently executed, comprehensible, and at least has some relation to the content of the book.

Has Baen really gone that far downhill since Jim Baen died?

Syzygy Stardust
Mar 1, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Baen and Breitbart have certain parallels. Who is the Steve Bannon of sci-fi?

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Larry Correia, probably.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

To address the rest of your points, yeah. It's good sci-fi and I enjoyed it, but the twist was pretty obvious and not enough was done with the cool stuff in the setting. I really dug how cool the setting was - the servitors, the fencing, everything - but the book was so fixated on the military stuff it felt like it missed an opportunity.

That said, I liked the writing and characters enough to want to read the next one.

The setting had a bunch of stuff, that as you say, wasn't elaborated upon since it fixated on the military stuff.
The protagonist being a lesbian belongs in that category, since for most of the book she was completely asexual.
I guess that is some form of progress.

As for cool stuff, with the exception of the calendrical warfare, most of the other stuff have been done before and better by other authors.
Why I have no major interest in continuing the story is basically due to the flatness of the characters.
The main protagonist, her shadow were all pretty flat and the only interesting and fun character gets killed in the last chapter.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Clearly a fighter jet for hobbits.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Khizan posted:

Larry Correia, probably.
But who does that make Theodore Beale?

Clark Nova posted:

Clearly a fighter jet for hobbits.
I want to say that that happened somewhere in Otherland. Don't think it got shown, though, just mentioned.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Khizan posted:

Larry Correia, probably.

It's gotta be Kratzman although I would accept Michael Z Williamson.

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

So I found this yesterday on audible and got it after listening to the preview and ohh dear.

Brandon the Thighmaster posted:

"Hi. I am Brandon Thighmaster. Monk. Hero. Inspiration. I enjoy crunching, squats, looking at myself, looking at other people looking at myself, and long walks on the beach. I also do adventures and stuff, and I guess you can read about them here. But enough about you, let's talk about me. Brandon Thighmaster."

"Brandon-San, it is for this reason I have asked you here today. We must talk"
Brandon relaxed from his ready position. "If I'd know we would have been talking, I'ld have warmed up my talking muscles."
The Abbot gestured for Brandon to kneel beside him. "That is what we must talk about. This is not a conversation about your muscles."
Brandon sighed. "That is a damned shame, Master, if you don't mind me saying so."
"Do not get me wrong, Brandon-San. Your muscles are worthy of deep and serious discussion. Indeed, of all the acolytes of The Temple of the Many Fists, you are by far the most super buff."
"Thanks, I've been working out," said Brandon, modestly. "For as long as I can remember. Constantly."

"You have at least packed plenty of water?" He gestured to Brandon's water skin.
Water? Oh, no. This is filled entirely with body oil."
The Abbot blinked. "Okay. And food?"
Brandon gestured to his laden backpack. "Nothing but protein." He grinned.

This feels incredibly like someone wrote a book about their favorite pen and paper character they ever made and it's "great".

ToxicFrog posted:

:whoptc:

When I think Baen covers I think stuff like this:

Which isn't going to win any awards, but is competently executed, comprehensible, and at least has some relation to the content of the book.

Has Baen really gone that far downhill since Jim Baen died?

The Cover I posted is an indie work not Baen. Many of their covers still are like the ones you posted.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Brandon is from the authors and dragons podcast.

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Brandon is from the authors and dragons podcast.

Well I might have to check that out based off this uhhhh masterpiece.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Alex Jones?

edit: Wait, that's the wrong alt-media shithole, isn't it.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Putin.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

StrixNebulosa posted:

The author did not make her a lesbian to make her "special".

Yeah, I see this kneejerk reaction so often. "The choice of making the protagonist not straight hasn't been fully justified to me therefore it's a gimmick being shoved down my throat by the PC brigade!"

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Stuporstar posted:

Yeah, I see this kneejerk reaction so often. "The choice of making the protagonist not straight hasn't been fully justified to me therefore it's a gimmick being shoved down my throat by the PC brigade!"

Lol. My dream is that one day characters in all sorts of media will be gay or trans and it will have nothing to do with the story at all. I have yet to see a book or movie that had a trans character but didn't make their whole arc about being trans.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
Pretty sure that Full Fathoms Five by Max Gladstone is that, although Kai being trans is barely mentioned.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

Stuporstar posted:

This, all the time. If a character is anything but a straight white dude, the author is required to submit extensive documentation for why they were included, but stick a loving Englishman in an African jungle with only gorillas for company and no, hey, that's cool, Tarzan, you totally belong here and you're not a special mary sue.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

cis autodrag posted:

Lol. My dream is that one day characters in all sorts of media will be gay or trans and it will have nothing to do with the story at all. I have yet to see a book or movie that had a trans character but didn't make their whole arc about being trans.

Rook by Carolyn McCray was the first novel I'd read where it was a major character and never really had arc about it. Just, a trans character and that was that. Decent book as well. Kind of ahead of its time, was released in 2012 I think. Might be why there wasn't more in the series.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Patrick Spens posted:

Pretty sure that Full Fathoms Five by Max Gladstone is that, although Kai being trans is barely mentioned.

His new one, Ruin of Angels is even more so

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

ulmont posted:

I'd agree about Williamson except I've been commissioned to do an RPG based on the RCS series.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

cis autodrag posted:

I can think of a few off the top of my head just from books I've read in the past year, and there's probably a bunch more that I'm forgetting because a year after I read something I usually don't even remember most of the major plot, let alone intimate details of the personal lives of secondary characters.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

ToxicFrog posted:

I can think of a few off the top of my head just from books I've read in the past year, and there's probably a bunch more that I'm forgetting because a year after I read something I usually don't even remember most of the major plot, let alone intimate details of the personal lives of secondary characters.

That's good to hear. I haven't run into any but maybe I will eventually. I have time for like 4 books a year tops these days.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

cis autodrag posted:

First example that comes to mind is a (minor) character in Jemisin's Broken Earth book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

ulmont posted:

No, Kratzman is the Alex Jones of Baen.