Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I liked the Fallen Knight set on my first dude because it fit my *~character theme~* but its definitely the Drangleic Armor of this game, its nice to have a helpful indicator of which summons will instantly die to a boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Internet Kraken posted:

Yeah no. If they have similar levels of endurance then they can outpace you forever. With a long range weapon you might be able to land a hit every once in awhile, but that damage won't be enough to kill them unless they were already low. And they'll probably get a chance to heal as well unless your chasing is literally perfect. Again, it comes more down too who has the most stamina and whether or not the host makes a dumb mistake when running.

I was using the pike, one of the longest range weapons in the game, and I was only able to scratch him over the span of like 5 minutes of chasing.

you have my permission to bring throwing knives or kukris with you from now on. namaste

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

homeless poster posted:

you have my permission to bring throwing knives or kukris with you from now on. namaste

Rolling exists and throwing a projectile makes you stand still so that's pretty terrible advice.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
spawned into some dudes aldritch area

seeded, knights are shooting every which way, me, the host, some phantom disguised as the host, a red phantom and a bluecop are all fighting ON THE ROOFTOPS

ITS AMAZING

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

The Abyss Watcher hat looks sweet

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

What's the difference between using a buff like Lightning Blade and just using a lightning resin? Seems like it's about the same, and since the cost of items become trivial later on when ordinary mobs drop 3000+ souls a piece, it seems like it'd be a better idea to just take a bunch of resins instead of committing to a magic stat and juggling a chime or whatever.

Melanion
Jun 7, 2011

heard the walls are paper thin from where you are to where I am
While we're talking fashion souls.. I can't help roleplaying even when I know gently caress all about a game's lore.

This is Elias of Thorolund, herald of the Way of White. He thoughtlessly accepted the help of a well-meaning pilgrim and began to Hollow. He tried in vain to conceal his condition under wrappings and voluminous robes, but the stench of undeath is ever-present and he can feel his mind and purpose slipping away. He knows he was meant to save someone, perhaps to save everyone, but he can no longer remember how.

I'm a nerrrrrrrrrrrrrd

(He's wearing the lothric knight legs under the robe. I'm going to be on the lookout for other options that look like armour under concealing wrappings as I progress him.)

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Melanion posted:

I farmed it off the one guarding the sunbro altar by abusing the ladder and firebombing him. UGS is tough to adjust to when you're used to LS+Shield, especially when you only have the endurance for 1.5 swings.

Oh that's right, for some reason they can't climb ladders after buffing their swords. I remember seeing that, but didn't think to use firebombs. And you get like 5000 souls per kill so it shouldn't be hard to restock.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Is it possible to stack the effects of Sacred Oath and Deep Protection? Only one visual shows at a time

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Your Computer posted:

This is absolute bullshit. This is 90% of PvP for me in DS1, 2 and now 3:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ryhKKGMSXE

If by "your own fault" you mean "being born outside the USA" then uh sure, but I'm on 100Mbit fiber and PvP feels like it's through 56k.

e: wow that sounded a bit too angry lol

I tried a PvP again and managed to get a kill. Probably 1 out of 10 because I either invaded the moment they crossed the boss fog, or they had at least one phantom with them.

Not fun.

I should probably take a break for a few days, because I'm at the point where I want to start blaming this game for being a lovely game. I've lost probably 100k souls since Sunday to stupid deaths, and I've spent about just as much on dumb poo poo at the handmaiden. Thought a new set of armor would save me, but it doesn't because I either have a real hard time with timing ( :corsair: ), or the wireless controller is in fact lovely.

I've respecced 3/5 times allowed on my character because I can't find a playstyle I like. I'm totally out of titanite to upgrade my claymore from +4 and nothing is dropping large slabs in Smouldering Lake, and the 193+56 damage is not enough to be in the Catacombs, let alone anywhere else post Wolin.

Yea I'm pretty bummed out at the moment :/

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 03:46 on May 4, 2016

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Oh that's right, for some reason they can't climb ladders after buffing their swords. I remember seeing that, but didn't think to use firebombs. And you get like 5000 souls per kill so it shouldn't be hard to restock.

I'm glad people are using my patented technique :c00lbutt:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Appoda posted:

What's the difference between using a buff like Lightning Blade and just using a lightning resin? Seems like it's about the same, and since the cost of items become trivial later on when ordinary mobs drop 3000+ souls a piece, it seems like it'd be a better idea to just take a bunch of resins instead of committing to a magic stat and juggling a chime or whatever.

The buffs scale with the Spell buff of your casting implement (it's around 90% of the spellbuff, varies slightly depending on the buff) so with investment they're better.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

+4 anything is enough for Catacombs IMo. I didn't go past +2 until Lothric Castle haha

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

lite_sleepr posted:

I'm totally out of titanite to upgrade my claymore from +4, and the 193+56 damage is not enough to be in the Catacombs, let alone anywhere else.

A +4 weapon is perfectly fine for the Catacombs.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I forget, does the + on your weapon affect co-op matchmaking like level? Because I have the mats to make a +9 weapon, and I'm currently 30 with a +2 on this guy. I know it affects invasions, but I don't remember if it affects co-op.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Domattee posted:

One of us! One of us!

To answer your question: Currently the matchmaking favors worlds with more phantoms in them. That means you're getting directed to gank-squads, prepared groups of a host +2 or 3 phantoms who try and farm invaders since 1v4 is a joke. They run the dried finger so they can get invaded non stop and since the host almost never dies they usually also have the seed of a giant tree active so you can't even use the NPCs to your advantage. They don't run out of the latter either since you can get a new one if you kill an invader. If you're invading at anything below SL100 the phantoms will generally be high-level characters that have been passworded in.

Yeah. It reinforced my opinion that you should get a reward if you kill an invader.....alone. the rest is stupid. Since you can't stun lock people and greats words are way op in pvp due to net code, it's just stupid. Invade 4 guys all with great swords so even if they miss you still take damage. I was even doing well once and he was able to just dodge away, estus up and resummon two more friends. I've benefited from the drank, but it IS too easy in pvp.

Though I did have one where I was able to sneak up on them and do a drop attack on the hosts instantly killing him. I was immediately killed by his two way over leveled bids, but that was satisfying.

Melanion
Jun 7, 2011

heard the walls are paper thin from where you are to where I am

Lotish posted:

I forget, does the + on your weapon affect co-op matchmaking like level? Because I have the mats to make a +9 weapon, and I'm currently 30 with a +2 on this guy.

Yes, and it seems to go by your highest upgrade even if it's in storage. It matches you to max reinforcement +/-2

e: Though for co-op you can always password up and be fine at any soul/upgrade level.

Melanion fucked around with this message at 03:53 on May 4, 2016

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

net cafe scandal posted:

+4 anything is enough for Catacombs IMo. I didn't go past +2 until Lothric Castle haha

Skeletons are fairly resistant to slashing damage, which is part of the problem. Just get a Mace and upgrade that to +2 or whatever (there are ashes you can turn in to get Titanite Shards from the Shrine Maiden at the Old Wof; take a right from the Keep Ruins bonfire and look for a ladder leading up the tall central building) and you'll breeze through the Catacombs.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Your Computer posted:

Fromsoft please remove the piss-soaked set, I'm tired of seeing 90% of the players wearing it :mad:

But if there was no pissed set, people would have to decide on another armor set to avoid while feeling smug when seeing others wear it.

Then it might end up one of the sets you actually like being the new 'literally pissed their pants' tier fashion. Can we really take that risk to fashion souls!?

Night Blade posted:

It really is ridiculous how easy it is to run away in this game. If you're using a great weapon it's pretty much mandatory you carry a quick stabbing weapon around to MAYBE KIND OF SORT OF punish runners if you're LUCKY.

You know what would be nice? Even for PvE? If the Shortbow/Compsite bow Rapid Fire Art didn't give you a fraction of the damage while still costing FP to use.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

If you can +2 the Executioner Greatsword from the Cathedral, that thing clowns anything skeleton related.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Section Z posted:

But if there was no pissed set, people would have to decide on another armor set to avoid while feeling smug when seeing others wear it.

Then it might end up one of the sets you actually like being the new 'literally pissed their pants' tier fashion.

I know how this feels bc in Dark Souls it was the Elite Knight Set which has always been really good especially in 2 and 3 with armor cloth effects

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Section Z posted:

Then it might end up one of the sets you actually like being the new 'literally pissed their pants' tier fashion. Can we really take that risk to fashion souls!?

So long as everyone leaves my Sunset armor alone, they can piss on whatever they like.

Actually, I was thinking I wish the coat on the Xanthous set looked more like its DS1 edition:

I miss baring my midriff.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Demtor posted:

Blue cops 4 life! Hahaha!!

Yeah, it's pretty fun. I got summoned a bunch of times tonight. Once into Catacombs, where I walked out with 4 ears. I don't even know what was going on, but as soon as I got in a red phantom croaks, instant ear. I wave at host and his phantom, and another red darts in front. Well, I got credit, so I guess I better get some hits on this guy before... huh, why am I not fading out? Whatever. That phantom goes down under a flurry of blades. Second ear. Still in the host's world. Weird, we start clearing, and sure as poo poo there are two more reds in there. ONE of them had my name, because I start fading as soon as he dies (ear 3), but still manage to kill the fourth red just before hitting a loading screen (ear 4), and none too soon, since the host's other phantom bit it a few moments earlier and that last scrap with the two reds did a number on the host. Good luck, little buddy. I have no loving clue what you did to gently caress up your game world, but I'm glad that you did. All the ears.

Kiggles fucked around with this message at 04:05 on May 4, 2016

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Genocyber posted:

That note is referring to the twinkling dragon stone you can get, ya dummy.

From a few pages back but I can confirm you can get both stones after pulling the lever. The dev notes are indeed meaningless.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I am still enjoying all this impotent sorcerer rage. There's a topic on reddit where a dude just has this meltdown because people don't give a poo poo about him demanding people let him use ashen flasks.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Wait what. Lord of Cinder and that's it? Really?

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
i just killed a guy who dodgerolled his way to the anor londo bonfire...but couldn't activate it because i was there

he must be mighty irritated

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Like I don't actually have a problem with people wearing the Fallen Knight set, but I still avoid the pants because there are just lines drawn on principle once the realization was made.

Even if you have a habit of dive rolling through a swamp until you're pretty white cape now looks like the Fallen Herald Set with a side of blackface, at least you aren't wearing something somebody took a pee break while still wearing.

Nuebot posted:

I am still enjoying all this impotent sorcerer rage. There's a topic on reddit where a dude just has this meltdown because people don't give a poo poo about him demanding people let him use ashen flasks.

I'd say "Hey how about you just use your flasks anyways" but I bet that means whatever Pro PvP group he wants in on will flip their poo poo because he's trying to use a finite resource for his PvP build. "Guys, I already had to put 44 points in INT to hit the softcap. Can we use a meta higher than 80 for our happy funtime fights? What, I can go gently caress myself because 80 is fine for any non casting build? okay then."

EDIT: I'd imagine a meltdown isn't nearly as close to rational on the subject though :v:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I mean casting is so lovely you might as well let them use ashen flasks cause they'll still lose if you aren't asleep at the keyboard.

VVV just like my animes

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 04:23 on May 4, 2016

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I think I win the screenshot contest

You can see it happen if you skip to about 45:30 here

codo27 fucked around with this message at 04:32 on May 4, 2016

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

woah

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

100 is fine for PVP. Pure Melee builds can put those extra 20 to good use

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Section Z posted:

I'd say "Hey how about you just use your flasks anyways" but I bet that means whatever Pro PvP group he wants in on will flip their poo poo because he's trying to use a finite resource for his PvP build. "Guys, I already had to put 44 points in INT to hit the softcap. Can we use a meta higher than 80 for our happy funtime fights? What, I can go gently caress myself because 80 is fine for any non casting build? okay then."
He's more mad that people reflexively see him using a flask and use their estus flasks instead. There's a great post where he goes on a huge rant about how casters shouldn't have to ever use weapons because magic has always been totally viable without ever using weapons. While completely ignoring the basic premise that it was only viable because you had to snort the consumables to restore casts like an addict.

I just love all the logic of "It's only fair when I get to dictate the terms of the battle" these people who try to make up the PVP rules pull.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

codo27 posted:

Lol sweet.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

codo27 posted:

That is impressive, alright.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Ashen estus have an obvious blue glow. Its easy to tell what type people are using. It really only makes sense for ashen estus to be allowed because otherwise melee builds are at an inherently huge advantage because they don't have to dump tons of points into attunement just to have a decent amount of casts.

Also in case anyone else was wondering, items dropped on the ground vanish when you die unlike DS2. So no dropping embers for people you kill invading.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Nuebot posted:

He's more mad that people reflexively see him using a flask and use their estus flasks instead. There's a great post where he goes on a huge rant about how casters shouldn't have to ever use weapons because magic has always been totally viable without ever using weapons. While completely ignoring the basic premise that it was only viable because you had to snort the consumables to restore casts like an addict.

I just love all the logic of "It's only fair when I get to dictate the terms of the battle" these people who try to make up the PVP rules pull.

I'm sure there are all kinds of logical ways to prove to E bushido enthusiasts you are only set up with ashen's that don't require them to even think "Hey, their health bar didn't instantly refill to full after that estus", but I'm also sure it would just end up in a slap fight over who did what wrong in the end with most of these people. Even if you stopped to show off the "empty estus bottle" effect before the fight starts, someone's gonna get their internet feelings hurt.

Mildly related. My favorite memory of working spontaneous E Bushido was way back with Unreal Tournament (forget which, the second one?). I decided to use nothing but the shield gun both for fun, and to finally teach me to move while attacking in an FPS.

So many people joining in, mutually assured destruction jousting was loving amazing.

I like the theoretical concept of wacky E Honor, but I'm self aware enough to know it's often a hypocritical pipe dream even when people aren't playing the game normally (Oh wow, Host used seed of the giants? Invaders snuck up on you and healed? Noooo). I only got myself to blame when people stab me in the groin if I bow to them here, or star wars, or anywhere.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 04:41 on May 4, 2016

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Nuebot posted:

I lol more at people who reflexively use estus if a Sorc uses ashtus. Magic builds are already so bad, it's funny if someone does that in response.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Genocyber posted:

I lol more at people who reflexively use estus if a Sorc uses ashtus. Magic builds are already so bad, it's funny if someone does that in response.

I'm about 50/50 as a Pyromancer when I get invaded, which is rare as I'm not usually pvping on purpose.

I hurl a bunch of spells and switch to chaos broadsword when they charge. They are usually so worried about getting inside my spell range they eat straight sword.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005

codo27 posted:

You can see it happen if you skip to about 45:30 here

I hope the video stats on Twitch are off and you don't actually stream at 8,500 kbps. :wtc: