Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

tarepanda posted:

People always, always, ALWAYS comment on my voice and how nice or unusual or radio-like it is. The last time I went through O'Hare, at least half a dozen people commented on it. A lot of Japanese people have pointed it out too and said I should be a voice actor.

So... what can I do with my voice? Are there any sites where I could record a sample or something and volunteer to voice parts for an indie game or something?

I'd like to get some experience and a feel for whether this is something I could commercialize somehow. But even just getting some experience and trying something new would be fun.

Try the Voiceover thread in CC

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3461287

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

tarepanda posted:

So... what can I do with my voice? Are there any sites where I could record a sample or something and volunteer to voice parts for an indie game or something?

Tales to Terrify is a horror fiction podcast, and they're always looking for narrators.

http://talestoterrify.com/submission-guidelines/

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Nah, I saw that but that isn't it- I'm on a Windows machine.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I thought there was still an ongoing Strangest Fan Art thread, but I can't find it. Any help?

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
The only one a search brings up for me is in the goldmine.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

alnilam posted:

I thought there was still an ongoing Strangest Fan Art thread, but I can't find it. Any help?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3526724&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I was thinking about checking out Battlestar Gallactica but I have no idea what order to watch all this stuff in. There is like 4 seasons, a movie, a miniseries etc.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

NESguerilla posted:

I was thinking about checking out Battlestar Gallactica but I have no idea what order to watch all this stuff in. There is like 4 seasons, a movie, a miniseries etc.

The miniseries serves as the opening to the TV show, watch the miniseries first, then the TV show. The webisodes and movie are extras you don't need to worry about.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Reichstag posted:

The miniseries serves as the opening to the TV show, watch the miniseries first, then the TV show. The webisodes and movie are extras you don't need to worry about.

Then gather your friends/enemies and play the Board Game.

Don't worry about your friends, they will soon be your enemies. Those Frackin toasters!

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Trastion posted:

Then gather your friends/enemies and play the Board Game.

Don't worry about your friends, they will soon be your enemies. Those Frackin toasters!

The board game is reasonably fun, to be sure, but it can take like 6 hours to play with a large group of new people. It's also really, really difficult for one of the "teams" to win.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
It seems like a lot of times someone will be mentioned in a thread, and shortly thereafter that person posts when they had never posted in that thread before. Is there some way of monitoring for mentions of your username, or is it just some combination of coincidence and PMs?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

stubblyhead posted:

It seems like a lot of times someone will be mentioned in a thread, and shortly thereafter that person posts when they had never posted in that thread before. Is there some way of monitoring for mentions of your username, or is it just some combination of coincidence and PMs?

Third possibility: Many users only read threads with no intention of posting in them. Could be a case of their name showing up in one of those threads, thus instigating a response.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

stubblyhead posted:

Some people are weird and actually use search to find mentions of their user name on the forums.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Lawnie posted:

The board game is reasonably fun, to be sure, but it can take like 6 hours to play with a large group of new people. It's also really, really difficult for one of the "teams" to win.
It is probably my favorite board game, but yes, in order to really enjoy it, you need a group of experienced players. Preferably exactly five experienced players.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I've a power cord for a laptop that just busted. The brick that plugs into the laptop is fine, but the cord that goes into an outlet isn't. How precisely do I have to match the old cord if I get a replacement? Do I have to get an exact model number, or can I use, for example, a cord from an older laptop by the same manufacturer?

SIHappiness
Apr 26, 2008

YggiDee posted:

I've a power cord for a laptop that just busted. The brick that plugs into the laptop is fine, but the cord that goes into an outlet isn't. How precisely do I have to match the old cord if I get a replacement? Do I have to get an exact model number, or can I use, for example, a cord from an older laptop by the same manufacturer?

If I'm reading this correctly, you're missing the cord that goes from the power brick into the wall outlet? Yeah, if it fits, it'll work; there's nothing special about that cord. There are only a few varieties of sockets on laptop AC Adapters, so your best bet is to find it on amazon or just scavenge one from an old laptop.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

YggiDee posted:

That part is standard and is usually either a figure 8 or mickey mouse style.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

YggiDee posted:

Almost all laptop power supplies no matter the brand get their ac input from:

2 conductor non grounded nema c7 connector http://www.showmecables.com/product/polarized-2-slot-power-cord-nema-1-15-to-c7-6-ft.aspx

or a grounded nema c5 connector http://www.showmecables.com/product/6-foot-3-SLOT-NOTEBOOK-POWER-CORD.aspx

you can grab one from any laptop pretty much or buy online, I don't know that i'd reccomend the above site, I just saw it in GIS to show you pics, $7 seems insane.

In the US at least it's called nema c5 or c7, I have no idea about elsewhere. I see foreign people at work with laptops that all look exactly like that and they're almost always (if rated to use 120v) able to plug in one of my cords with a US-style other end and get juice.

edit: beaten, and with < $2 monoprice links at that.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Apr 16, 2013

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Thanks, it turns out that my old busted HP machine from 2006 had an identical cord, so we've swapped them out and it works fine. :)

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I bought a used Kindle from a pawn shop recently and found it still was registered to a previous owner and still seems to connect to Amazon under their account. Before I go through the deregistration steps, I'd like to make sure this wasn't lost/stolen, so that doesn't end up biting me in the rear end later. So, I'm trying to track down the original owner.

I have their kindle.com address from the device which I guess allows me to send emails to the device, but is there a way I could use this to also try to contact them or would it either A) just go to the Kindle or B) be denied from both their Kindle and any associated Amazon contact due to not coming from a 'whitelisted' email address?

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

JediTalentAgent posted:

I bought a used Kindle from a pawn shop recently and found it still was registered to a previous owner and still seems to connect to Amazon under their account. Before I go through the deregistration steps, I'd like to make sure this wasn't lost/stolen, so that doesn't end up biting me in the rear end later. So, I'm trying to track down the original owner.

I have their kindle.com address from the device which I guess allows me to send emails to the device, but is there a way I could use this to also try to contact them or would it either A) just go to the Kindle or B) be denied from both their Kindle and any associated Amazon contact due to not coming from a 'whitelisted' email address?

Amazon has excellent customer service. You could contact them as a start and I think they'll respond very quickly; that has always been my experience. I'm not really sure what your end game is here, but if you were worried about some kind of repercussions or getting screwed over somehow then use a burner webmail address.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
So currently I'm trying to apply for an apartment by myself and having never gotten a previous eviction and having a relatively good line of credit, I figured it wouldn't be a problem. But apparently most apartment complexes are throwing up this 40% income number at me and saying that even with good credit, a large deposit, and any other hoops to jump through they won't even consider me. Is there anything realistically I can do in this situation without having to resort of couch surfing for eternity? Is it really that unrealistic of me to assume I can easily cover an $800 apartment when my monthly income is $1400? I really don't want to be homeless when I can easily pay for a place by myself.

VVVVV
How is $300 living by the seat of your pants? I mean if the rent is 800, and after that I have 600. Gas is 100 a month, food/groceries is 200; that still leaves me 300 in general spending money? I've been able to survive and get by with a lot less than that.

discworld is all I read fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Apr 17, 2013

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Niggurath posted:

So currently I'm trying to apply for an apartment by myself and having never gotten a previous eviction and having a relatively good line of credit, I figured it wouldn't be a problem. But apparently most apartment complexes are throwing up this 40% income number at me and saying that even with good credit, a large deposit, and any other hoops to jump through they won't even consider me. Is there anything realistically I can do in this situation without having to resort of couch surfing for eternity? Is it really that unrealistic of me to assume I can easily cover an $800 apartment when my monthly income is $1400? I really don't want to be homeless when I can easily pay for a place by myself.

Holy poo poo, that's a terrible ratio. Rule of thumb is to aim for a place that's, at most, 30% of your post-tax income... but it's better still to have 25% be your max.

I mean, at 800 bucks for rent you're going to be paying what, 100 for bills, 200 for groceries, then you have to pay for commuting and normal household expenses on top of that -- you'll be living by the seat of your pants every month.

In short, you are retarded for thinking 800 a month for rent would be doable with your income.

Edit: For example, I live in Tokyo.

I had a post-tax income of around 4200 a month and decided I really liked an apartment that ran me 1500 in rent and 200 in monthly maintenance fees (condo). I figured that since I never really went out much, it would be fine to jump up to around 40% of my post-tax income (35%ish of my pre-tax).

It was not.

1700 + 200-300 (bills, depends on season) + 200-300 (food) + 500-800 (IRA) + 50 (household expenses like soap, detergent, poo poo breaking, etc) + 450 (recurring municipal tax four times a year) really left me struggling some months... and that's not even factoring in usual purchases for recreation, clothes, going out to eat with friends occasionally, birthday presents, Christmas presents, my personal medical expenses (cochlear implant parts are loving expensive, and so is the shipping from America).

It was a really stupidly dumb decision which I just rectified by moving to a place that's 2/3 the rent (1100/mo).

Niggurath posted:

How is $300 living by the seat of your pants? I mean if the rent is 800, and after that I have 600. Gas is 100 a month, food/groceries is 200; that still leaves me 300 in general spending money? I've been able to survive and get by with a lot less than that.

Electricity? Internet? Water? Sewer?

If you're not putting money into an emergency fund (car breaks, you have an accident, family member dies, you lose your job, etc.) and you're not thinking about retirement, then you're really just living paycheck-to-paycheck.

300 bucks would have to cover any savings you make for that kind of stuff plus normal purchases (detergent, soap, garbage bags, etc.) plus anything you do with friends plus any doctor/dental expenses or recurring semi-regular expenses like that.

If you're super, super, super frugal and very, very good with budgeting your money and keeping an eye where everything goes, then yeah, it's probably doable... but I still wouldn't recommend it at all.

tarepanda fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Apr 17, 2013

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

Niggurath posted:

Is it really that unrealistic of me to assume I can easily cover an $800 apartment when my monthly income is $1400?
Wow, I would say it is. That's nearly 60% of your income on rent, that's huge.

Have you done a full, detailed, monthly budget? Including transport, alcohol, snacks, phone bill, wi-fi, toiletries, insurance, clothing, etc? Not just "well, I spend about $50 a week on food".

Is $1400 your net, after-tax income?

Does that rent include bills?

Do you have to pay any fees when moving in?

If you're taking home about 17k, you can't afford an apartment that costs nearly 10k a year. I would strongly urge you to re-think your budget.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Hoops posted:

Wow, I would say it is. That's nearly 60% of your income on rent, that's huge.

Have you done a full, detailed, monthly budget? Including transport, alcohol, snacks, phone bill, wi-fi, toiletries, insurance, clothing, etc? Not just "well, I spend about $50 a week on food".

Is $1400 your net, after-tax income?

Does that rent include bills?

Do you have to pay any fees when moving in?

If you're taking home about 17k, you can't afford an apartment that costs nearly 10k a year. I would strongly urge you to re-think your budget.
Yes, the 1400 is after taxes; yes, I'm fully aware of a budget. I have lived on my own, taken care of all my bills, and done all of this for the last decade. I know fully how much my monthly bills come out to because I've been paying the same amount of bills for the last four years. The only difference now will be 100 extra dollars in rent and a lot shorter commute to work. It won't be extra money for utilities (as most places I've been inquiring would only require paying for electricity and my internet is not that expensive, and something I can get rid of). It's hard to not seem incredulous but this is seriously going to be less expensive living than what I was doing with a roommate, mostly due to driving 3 miles to work a day rather than 40. The difference in rent from what I currently pay is maybe 100-150, and it's something I can easily budget for because I've been budgeting and saving my entire adult life.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Niggurath posted:

Yes, the 1400 is after taxes; yes, I'm fully aware of a budget. I have lived on my own, taken care of all my bills, and done all of this for the last decade. I know fully how much my monthly bills come out to because I've been paying the same amount of bills for the last four years. The only difference now will be 100 extra dollars in rent and a lot shorter commute to work. It won't be extra money for utilities (as most places I've been inquiring would only require paying for electricity and my internet is not that expensive, and something I can get rid of). It's hard to not seem incredulous but this is seriously going to be less expensive living than what I was doing with a roommate, mostly due to driving 3 miles to work a day rather than 40. The difference in rent from what I currently pay is maybe 100-150, and it's something I can easily budget for because I've been budgeting and saving my entire adult life.

Sounds like you have your stuff together, then. Try explaining it to your prospective landlords. Being able to show a stable income, growing bank account, and references from past landlords might help, too. Big companies may be less understanding.

The Gooncave and Gardens thread might have more tips: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3411978&pagenumber=47#lastpost

Liebfraumilch
Aug 17, 2008

Niggurath posted:

After a lot of back-and-forth at the leasing office where I tried to get around their income requirement/check to finalize the lease transfer I'd worked out with the previous renter for the apartment I had my heart set on, I finally just offered to pay the entirety of the lease upfront. They were more than delighted to make an exception in their process.

So. Got anything saved?

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Liebfraumilch posted:

After a lot of back-and-forth at the leasing office where I tried to get around their income requirement/check to finalize the lease transfer I'd worked out with the previous renter for the apartment I had my heart set on, I finally just offered to pay the entirety of the lease upfront. They were more than delighted to make an exception in their process.

So. Got anything saved?
I've got about 20K saved up right now, and they didn't seem to care. It's only about future money it seems.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

Niggurath posted:

Well, you asked the question.

If you can do genuinely afford to do it, then that's impressive. I've never known anyone spending that much of their income on rent though, I find it hard to believe you saying you can "easily" afford it, most people would not be able to.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

stubblyhead posted:

I think it's more because people always post in the same kind of threads. I find my name mentioned every now and then and I think only one time someone PM'd me about it. It's always a thread that I would have visited anyway and people just knew I guess. Maybe I'm just so e-popular people can predict my internet presence and wait for me.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I keep shocking myself. Not huge electrical shocks but those kind that you get when going down plastic slides on the playground. No matter where i'm at, it just keeps happening. Its happened three times when trying to pick up my phone, twice plugging in USB drives, one getting in the car and also twice trying to use my mouse, and countless times touching anything metal at work. That's just today. Its been going on the past 2 days. I gave no idea what is happening. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

e: I know this is typical and happens, but this activity just started ramping up out of the blue.

buglord fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Apr 17, 2013

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Have you considered fighting crime

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?

Avocados posted:

I keep shocking myself. Not huge electrical shocks but those kind that you get when going down plastic slides on the playground. No matter where i'm at, it just keeps happening. Its happened three times when trying to pick up my phone, twice plugging in USB drives, one getting in the car and also twice trying to use my mouse, and countless times touching anything metal at work. That's just today. Its been going on the past 2 days. I gave no idea what is happening. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

How's the weather there? Cool and dry? Low humidity conditions allow static electricity to build up more easily as moisture conducts electricity and allows the static to discharge. :science:

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
That's static electricity.

Is your area really dry? Have you been hanging your clothes out to dry or do you toss them in the dryer? Try extra fabric softener if the latter.

Are you walking around in socks/barefoot?

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Niggurath posted:

What is it before taxes? My understanding was that the income:rent ratio was usually calculated from gross income rather than net, but I could be wrong.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I didn't consider the new dryer we got. Looks like I'll have to buy some fabric softener or dryer sheets. Thanks guys. So much for my possible crime fighting.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Sir John Falstaff posted:

What is it before taxes? My understanding was that the income:rent ratio was usually calculated from gross income rather than net, but I could be wrong.

I always thought it was after taxes.

Say you get 1000 bucks a month but are taxed at 50% -- you get 500 bucks a month.

If you do it pre-tax, then 300 dollars a month would be kind of reasonable at 30% of your rent... but 300 dollars of your 500 on rent is NOT reasonable.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

tarepanda posted:

Say you get 1000 bucks a month but are taxed at 50% -- you get 500 bucks a month.

If you do it pre-tax, then 300 dollars a month would be kind of reasonable at 30% of your rent... but 300 dollars of your 500 on rent is NOT reasonable.

A little Googling seems to suggest gross income--for example:

quote:

If you take a look at the most recent survey results broken down by homeowners vs. renters, you'll see that, on average, renters tend to devote about 33 percent of their income to housing.

You get this percentage by dividing the amount listed in the table for housing, $9,886, by the Income before Taxes figure of $29,827 at the top of the table. You could just as easily calculate a percentage based on income after taxes, but I think it makes sense to use gross income because most people are used to thinking in terms of their pre-tax income.

That percentage, of course, is an average, which means it can be higher for some people and lower for others. People who live in highly populated urban areas or who prefer prestigious digs would likely pay a larger share of income than those who live in less dense suburban or rural areas and those willing to settle for more modest accommodations. On average, though, I'd say that most people's rents fall in a range of 25 to 40 percent or so of their gross income.

http://money.cnn.com/2005/08/26/pf/expert/ask_expert/

But I suppose different places may use different ratios.

E: Not saying it's the best calculation, though, or that it makes sense for Niggurath.

Sir John Falstaff fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Apr 17, 2013

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

tarepanda posted:

Its pretax. Otherwise you would deduct stuff like retirement accounts, healthcare, etc. that isnt equal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liebfraumilch
Aug 17, 2008

Niggurath posted:

I've got about 20K saved up right now, and they didn't seem to care. It's only about future money it seems.

They didn't care that I had money saved, either, and I guess they're used to dealing with complete bozos since they said even if I showed my accounts it doesn't mean I wouldn't spend it on a new car the next day and then not have money for rent (who on earth would do that?). But going all in and saying I would pay the lease in full transformed hard-faced skepticism to invisible balloons and confetti and high-fives. If you're confident you can keep your head above water, make the same offer? They're a business, not parents, and shouldn't give a drat about your future past the lease.