Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

Endorph posted:

FFXIV is pretty throwback-y.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmbX_aX9ZaA&t=588s

And has this guy.

Billy Herrington what are you doing in a Final Fantasy game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

I heard Bravely Default sold better in the West than LR did.

It didn't. Bravely Default was #10 on the NPD. LR was #8. Even counting it being on two consoles, the information we have suggests the PS3 version alone outsold BD.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

NikkolasKing posted:

Speaking as someone who played FFXIII and liked it until you got to Pulse, I have no desire to play the sequels. They sound like they took a relatively simple story and added a ton of needless convolution to it.

13-2 doesn't have any story that's any more convoluted than 13 already was, and it doesn't have that much volume of story either; you can just zone out and play the game, because it's much, much more of a "game" than 13. You don't ever really get stuck in cutscene hell, most of the time you're exploring and doing poo poo. Also it's pretty much a Pokemon game.

It's a lot more fun than 13. It actually reminds me of X-2 in terms of general atmosphere.

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"

That loving Sned posted:

Switching characters didn't even bother me, since you get bonus time just before you switch, so I can go crazy killing enemies with extra rewards. It's having to spend twice as much time prodding pets in the face and playing minigames with them than actually progressing in the game if I ever wanted to get any fun abilities and spells that annoyed me.

Yeah, this is by far the most retarded part about DDD, it takes a loving eternity to max out any of the stupid bastards: first you need to poke them enough to unlock all their disposition paths and then you need to waste all your cash on pointless minigames or food and keep using both until you run out since it takes several thousand LP on average to max out their boards and anything you kill only gives them 1 LP.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
At least you can actually get LP from battles and not have to spend eternity breaking background objects. :suicide:

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I feel like I'm going to drive this into the ground if I haven't already, but FFXV cannot be as good as it could be because it isn't about fantasy Yakuza.

Also because this will not be a thing, and that makes me so supernaturally angry I feel like I'm about to Everyone's Grudge all over.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

That still looks like he should be teaming up with a Moogle to cook Water Crystal Meth, I'm sorry.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

ImpAtom posted:

That still looks like he should be teaming up with a Moogle to cook Water Crystal Meth, I'm sorry.

Oh God someone with art skills please make this picture happen. :allears:

Also, man, I forgot how long FFX is. In a good way.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
Anima's fuckin' still rad after all these years! :unsmigghh:

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Gologle posted:

I feel like I'm going to drive this into the ground if I haven't already, but FFXV cannot be as good as it could be because it isn't about fantasy Yakuza.

Also because this will not be a thing, and that makes me so supernaturally angry I feel like I'm about to Everyone's Grudge all over.

Hey, he's back!

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
Glad to see that Evrae is still a huge pain in the rear end.

Edit: And I beat him on my third attempt right after I posted this. Nice.

Celery Face fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Mar 30, 2014

Col. Roy Campbell
Dec 19, 2008

Celery Face posted:

Glad to see that Evrae is still a huge pain in the rear end.

Edit: And I beat him on my third attempt right after I posted this. Nice.

Ah, Evrae, the first boss that completely stonewalled me and forced me to restart. Always remember to make multiple save files, kids! Of course, I had to learn that twice after the same thing happened again in Tactics. drat you, Belias!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Col. Roy Campbell posted:

Ah, Evrae, the first boss that completely stonewalled me and forced me to restart. Always remember to make multiple save files, kids! Of course, I had to learn that twice after the same thing happened again in Tactics. drat you, Belias!

...is he really supposed to be hard? I completely curbstomped him. What's supposed to be hard about him? I don't remember having any trouble 12 years ago either...

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

precision posted:

...is he really supposed to be hard? I completely curbstomped him. What's supposed to be hard about him? I don't remember having any trouble 12 years ago either...

The thing that makes him a pain in the rear end is that he resists everything, you have a new gameplay gimmick with commanding Cid, and if you do your usual boss opening move of slowing him, he hastes himself.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

TARDISman posted:

The thing that makes him a pain in the rear end is that he resists everything, you have a new gameplay gimmick with commanding Cid, and if you do your usual boss opening move of slowing him, he hastes himself.

Well, by that time Auron was doing 3k per hit and Wakka wasn't far behind that, and I had 99 Al Bhed Potions with both Kimahri and Rikku having Use, as well as Tidus, Auron and Kimahri having Haste.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

precision posted:

Well, by that time Auron was doing 3k per hit and Wakka wasn't far behind that, and I had 99 Al Bhed Potions with both Kimahri and Rikku having Use, as well as Tidus, Auron and Kimahri having Haste.
You must have done quite a bit of grinding because my Auron was doing half that much. At least I wasn't stuck on Evrae for a long time like when I played the original game. Or got killed by the warrior monks so I had to do it all over again. That really sucked.

Col. Roy Campbell
Dec 19, 2008

Another thing about it is that you can't really go back and grind at that point. So, if you're under-leveled, you're just hosed.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Celery Face posted:

You must have done quite a bit of grinding because my Auron was doing half that much. At least I wasn't stuck on Evrae for a long time like when I played the original game. Or got killed by the warrior monks so I had to do it all over again. That really sucked.

Actually I've been doing literally zero grinding this whole game. Are you using the Expert Sphere Grid?

Like, here's how little grinding I've been doing: Lulu wasn't anywhere NEAR the -aga spells when I fought that battle. I think she had just barely gotten Bio. And my Tidus is still doing pitiful sub-1k damage to everything. God I hate Tidus.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

Col. Roy Campbell posted:

Another thing about it is that you can't really go back and grind at that point. So, if you're under-leveled, you're just hosed.
How can you not grind at that point? There's monsters on the ship.

A big reason why I had so much trouble with Evrae 5 years ago was because I relied on aeons for most of the bosses and you didn't have Yuna for that one fight.

precision posted:

Actually I've been doing literally zero grinding this whole game. Are you using the Expert Sphere Grid?
No, I'm using the standard and I'm around the same place as you.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Goddamit. I caved in and bought this game for my Vita, to play on the go. I didn't need to spend more money, but I did, because I have no willpower.

To really reflect the inherent douchiness of the character, I named my Tidus Kanye.

Col. Roy Campbell
Dec 19, 2008

Celery Face posted:

How can you not grind at that point? There's monsters on the ship.

...What? There are? I don't think I've ever fought monsters on the ship. I wish I knew that back in 2002.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
I might have to restart just so I can copy this. Also, re: Belias comment above, gently caress that guy. I was in love with FFT until I got murdered and stuck there. I also neglected to make multiple saves at that point in my young life.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Kalenn Istarion posted:

I might have to restart just so I can copy this. Also, re: Belias comment above, gently caress that guy. I was in love with FFT until I got murdered and stuck there. I also neglected to make multiple saves at that point in my young life.

See, I never had much of a problem with the Wiegraf/Belias fight when I played Tactics. Although to make up for it the last 3 or so battles of Chapter 2 really hosed me over. I loathed the Execution Site and first Lucavi fight since Queklain's pretty spry for a being consisting most of body fat and a Chestburster from Alien.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

precision posted:

13-2 doesn't have any story that's any more convoluted than 13 already was, and it doesn't have that much volume of story either; you can just zone out and play the game, because it's much, much more of a "game" than 13. You don't ever really get stuck in cutscene hell, most of the time you're exploring and doing poo poo. Also it's pretty much a Pokemon game.

It's a lot more fun than 13. It actually reminds me of X-2 in terms of general atmosphere.

Meh, I need a story to keep me motivated in a game. Even the Pokemon games I've played are mostly all mods that give it a more interesting story. (not Shakespeare or anything but still better than "you are Trainer. Go to Town.' That poo poo just gets boring and I lose interest)

For me my priorities in a game I like are:
Plot/Characters
Music
Gameplay
Graphics

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

NikkolasKing posted:

Meh, I need a story to keep me motivated in a game.

Well I'm just saying, there certainly is plenty of story in 13-2, it's just not any more convoluted or extraneous than what 13 already was, so I think you're cheating yourself out of a great game. At least try it out.

It also has good music.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Read a book and put philip glass on in the background

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

For me it's hard to imagine enjoying many games with the priority of characters/plot over gameplay/visuals. I'm not saying that games that excel in that don't exist but they're usually more like adventure games or the like, not mechanic-heavy RPGs, even light and casual ones like Final Fantasy.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

ImpAtom posted:

For me it's hard to imagine enjoying many games with the priority of characters/plot over gameplay/visuals. I'm not saying that games that excel in that don't exist but they're usually more like adventure games or the like, not mechanic-heavy RPGs, even light and casual ones like Final Fantasy.

Counterpoint: TWEWY. I mean the mechanics of that game are all really great but the story/characters/setting is where it feels like they put most of their effort. I mean all the visuals and most of the gameplay mechanics feed into it and compliment the story.

Hell even the stuff like Eating food to get stats and the equipment/bravery stuff serves a second purpose of fleshing out the characters and the setting.

It's totally possible to focus on delivering a really good story with well written characters and still be a mechanically fun video game. It just takes a level of effort and care you don't typically see in mechanic-heavy RPGs.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Mar 30, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Counterpoint: TWEWY. I mean the mechanics of that game are all really great but the story/characters/setting is where it feels like they put most of their effort. I mean all the visuals and most of the gameplay mechanics feed into it and compliment the story.

Hell even the stuff like Eating food to get stats and the equipment/bravery stuff serves a second purpose of fleshing out the characters and the setting.

I honestly would have enjoyed TWEWY a lot less if the mechanics had been even a little less solid. The stuff that kept me coming back was the customizable weapons, the adjustable difficulty level, and all that. I even found the iOS port less fun to play because of the changes to the gameplay. The fact that the mechanics feed into the story is something I appreciate and enjoy, but a big part of that is that I find the mechanics fun. I wouldn't feel the same way if the mechanics were made crappier in service of the story.

I'm not completely "story is pointless" since it isn't, but I guess I just feel like I can enjoy a game with a bad story but great gameplay, but have a much harder time with a game with a good story but crappy gameplay. (As rare as that is.) The closest I can think of to that is Nier and I'd probably read a LP of Nier (while listening to the rockass soundtrack) before I'd replay it again

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Mar 30, 2014

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

TARDISman posted:

I seem to remember putting reflect on him, and using a silver(?) hourglass on him once I saw him do the counter-haste thing. Been awhile though so I maybe that was another boss idk.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

ImpAtom posted:

It didn't. Bravely Default was #10 on the NPD. LR was #8. Even counting it being on two consoles, the information we have suggests the PS3 version alone outsold BD.

The information about Bravely Default outselling Lightning Returns came from combinig physical and digital sales, which the NPD chart doesn't take into account.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pureauthor posted:

The information about Bravely Default outselling Lightning Returns came from combinig physical and digital sales, which the NPD chart doesn't take into account.

Nintendo's own announcement was that it sold 200,000 combined digital and physical. (Outpacing Fire Emblem: Awakening which did 180,000 in a similar time frame.) Unless you've seen something suggesting significantly different, everything I've seen with regards to LR suggests it did over 200,000 units digital + physical, not in the least because it was a two-SKU release to BD's one.

This isn't bad for Bravely Default. It was a big success and sold really well for what amounts to a new IP. If it wasn't for Minecraft it would have been the best single-SKU seller in February. I also wouldn't be surprised if it had a longer tail that LR since it has really good word of mouth. It's already got a sequel lined up and if they don't gently caress that up it's probably going to be something they put out regularly.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Mar 30, 2014

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Finally beat LR. Thanks anyone who gave me suggestions on how to beat the last boss. What an annoying dick.

And the ending was way better then I had been led to believe. I'd say the trilogy ended on a high note.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Mar 30, 2014

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

precision posted:

Well I'm just saying, there certainly is plenty of story in 13-2, it's just not any more convoluted or extraneous than what 13 already was, so I think you're cheating yourself out of a great game. At least try it out.

It also has good music.

Well maybe I'll give it a shot once I get a new PS3. You're certainly not the first person to recommend it to me. I just figured with all the bullshit Paradoxes and time travel and alternate dimensions or whatever that it was bound to be more convoluted than XIII. Plus aren't Serah and Noel your only playable characters? See the good thing about a full cast of PCs is that even if you dislike a few of them you have the chance to like the rest. If I hate Serah and Noel...who's left to like?

Either way I think XIII-2 will be on my "Eventually List." The only JRPG for the PS3 I have any real interest in is Tales of Xillia. I've never played a Tales game before and I'm eager to see why it is such a big thing. (Wiki says it's behind only FF and DQ in Japan) And since Imp reminded me, I'd like to check out NieR as well. I've been hearing nonstop great things about it on here since TDI's Xenogears LP and it was always about how great the story and music were. And as my post earlier indicates, those are my priorities.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Mar 30, 2014

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

TARDISman posted:

The thing is though, Evrae doesn't have counter-Haste, he just casts it once his HP hits below a certain breakpoint. (I wanna say below 50% but I didn't check because Auron was tearing through him.) It's the Sanctuary Guardian that has counter-Haste right off the bat, and at that point it decides to spam 9999 Curagas twice a turn more often than not. I forgot about that in my current playthrough, and got my face wrecked. :downs:

I love this new Sphere Grid though, I managed to pass Rikku through a large chunk of both Lulu and Yuna's areas, and got Holy before Seymour 2. That was a satisfying massacre.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

NikkolasKing posted:

Well maybe I'll give it a shot once I get a new PS3. You're certainly not the first person to recommend it to me. I just figured with all the bullshit Paradoxes and time travel and alternate dimensions or whatever that it was bound to be more convoluted than XIII. Plus aren't Serah and Noel your only playable characters? See the good thing about a full cast of PCs is that even if you dislike a few of them you have the chance to like the rest. If I hate Serah and Noel...who's left to like?

Hope
Hope's Girlfriend
A Moogle You Can Throw
Liam O'Brien
The tame deathcannon and/or creepmonster in a bowtie in your 3rd party slot

I do like 13-2 quite a lot, but honestly if you're already resisting the idea of carrying on with the series, I'd just skip ahead to LR. It's shorter, it's better, it's different.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

NikkolasKing posted:

Either way I think XIII-2 will be on my "Eventually List." The only JRPG for the PS3 I have any real interest in is Tales of Xillia. I've never played a Tales game before and I'm eager to see why it is such a big thing. (Wiki says it's behind only FF and DQ in Japan) And since Imp reminded me, I'd like to check out NieR as well. I've been hearing nonstop great things about it on here since TDI's Xenogears LP and it was always about how great the story and music were. And as my post earlier indicates, those are my priorities.

It's somehow less convoluted because the writers just have the characters yell "chaos!" or "paradox!" whenever they can't think of how to justify something. Once you realize the game was written with a way to abandon logic and causality it becomes much easier to follow than trying to piece together what kind of absurd reasoning they're using this time. Much like the game's environments it's just sort of a series of events that happen in sequence with very little to do with what was before or after.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Renoistic posted:

And the ending was way better then I had been led to believe. I'd say the trilogy ended on a high note.
As has been said in the thread before: it isn't a bad ending until you take it into context with Motomu Toriyama, at which point you realize it's the nintendo equivalent of waifu pillow wish fulfillment.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

The White Dragon posted:

As has been said in the thread before: it isn't a bad ending until you take it into context with Motomu Toriyama, at which point you realize it's the nintendo equivalent of waifu pillow wish fulfillment.

I see what you mean but I just interpreted the scene as Lightning going to see reincarnated Serah. And that a lot of Japanese have a serious hard-on for France :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paris_syndrome

The ending is definitely made with the intent that she means Serah, but Toriyama totally made it so that he can pretend she's talking to him in his dreams.

My favourite meta-thinking thing about the ending is that if Lightning and Serah have been split up and now have to find each other on not-earth, does that mean Sazh and Dajh got split up too? Because I'm pretty sure Dajh couldn't find Sazh and there's a good chance that he might just die before he finds him or anyone else.