Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

e: wrong thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Though I am glad that this thread has also finally received the wisdom that the PRC and the USA are exactly the same country, with zero differences between them.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I look forward to the day when the whole of the forums are enlightened in this manner.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

paragon1 posted:

Though I am glad that this thread has also finally received the wisdom that the PRC and the USA are exactly the same country, with zero differences between them.

PRC locks up fewer prisoners

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Keeshhound posted:

Even that isn't an example of freedom of speech being a problem, it's an example of the US failing to actually uphold it as a principle.

I think the contention is that it has never really, certainly not recently, been upheld as a universal principle and that the appeals to it are inherently biased towards particular forms of speech which are conducive to fairly objectionable ideas, but that it is sold as a universal freedom in order to give protection specifically to those forms of speech.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Like anyone knows how many people are locked up in the PRC.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Keeshhound posted:

Even that isn't an example of freedom of speech being a problem, it's an example of the US failing to actually uphold it as a principle.

If a right isn't actually being upheld then it's not much of a right, now is it?

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

VitalSigns posted:

PRC locks up fewer prisoners

And not even just as a proportion of size. Like our prison population is straight up 40% bigger than theirs in raw numbers and they have four times the population.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Kinda like you sell capitalism on the idea that anyone can make it big and get rich, but in reality of course you can't. But if you can convince everyone that they really could have everything they wanted if they just knuckled down and put the work in, then you can facilitate widespread support for a system that really only benefits the obscenely rich.

Same with "State's rights" and freeze peach. You sell this wonderful sounding universal principle and in practice use it mostly for really lovely ideas.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Do Uighurs undergoing "reeducation" and people being held without sentencing or charges get included in that number?

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Do the people we hold at our worldwide network of black site prisons count for ours?

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Cerebral Bore posted:

If a right isn't actually being upheld then it's not much of a right, now is it?

You're right, gently caress aspirations, let's just get stuck into the race to the bottom. Authoritarianism's not so bad as long as you like the fuckers stamping on your face, amirite?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Goon Danton posted:

Do the people we hold at our worldwide network of black site prisons count for ours?

Of course they do, because they're exactly the same thing, because as this thread has obviously already learned, the PRC and the USA are the same country, where people have the same rights.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would certainly suggest that just saying you want "free speech" isn't a very coherent or meaningful right in a society where money has so much of a say in how loud you can speak. It's advocating for the freedom of money, not the freedom of the individual or even the group. And is actively hostile to any attempts to leverage group democratic power to curtail the power of money to control speech.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
P.S. The Uighurs don't get included in the numbers on say, wikipedia, because the last numbers we got for that came from the Chinese government in 2015, and they've generally adamantly refused to admit that Uighurs being detained is a thing.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Anyway as we all know, if the police ever behave illegally then all legal rights cease to exist. You will be black bagged for making fun of the President. We're on our 2, 352nd Stephen Colbert.

What was this thread about again?

paragon1 fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Feb 13, 2019

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

paragon1 posted:

Of course they do, because they're exactly the same thing, because as this thread has obviously already learned, the PRC and the USA are the same country, where people have the same rights.

I mean you're the one who brought up the Uighurs, brutalizing the native populations standing in the way of your westward expansion sounds American as fuckin apple pie to me.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Goon Danton posted:

I mean you're the one who brought up the Uighurs, brutalizing the native populations standing in the way of your westward expansion sounds American as fuckin apple pie to me.

Now you're getting it!

In fact, I'm very proud that you've moved on to the next, more advanced level, of realizing that the USA is the same thing at all times throughout history. The United States now and 100 years ago are exactly the same thing, where all the same rules and standards apply. But can you take the next step and combine these to principles to realize there's no difference between America in 2021 and China under the Shang dynasty?

paragon1 fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Feb 13, 2019

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Oh right, libertarians.

Libertarians often adopt rhetoric around things that are actually important to try to segue the conversation to their nonsensical bullshit. This doesn't mean that the original things aren't important and good.

See also: Stopping police abuse of power, weed

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

paragon1 posted:

Now you're getting it!

In fact, I'm very proud that you've moved on to the next, more advanced level, of realizing that the USA is the same thing at all times throughout history. The United States now and 100 years ago are exactly the same thing, where all the same rules and standards apply. But can you take the next step and combine these to principles to realize there's no difference between America in 2021 and China under the Shang dynasty?

What you don't under is that the United States always exists and anyways will exist. It has split itself an infinite number of times, each time smaller than the last and each molecule in existence is made up of tiny United States politely making up the standard model.
Like Pickle Inspector, but real.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

The United States has the death penalty for being black with no judicial review, I don't know where anyone is getting this notion that Americans have civil rights

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Keeshhound posted:

That's what a not guilty verdict means?

No, a "not guilty" verdict does not mean the original arrest was "invalid".

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

VitalSigns posted:

The United States has the death penalty for being black with no judicial review, I don't know where anyone is getting this notion that Americans have civil rights

Yo be careful of criticizing the nation online or the state censors will have the secret police pick you up.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

paragon1 posted:

Yo be careful of criticizing the nation online or the state censors will have the secret police pick you up.

google Jake Flores ICE

laugh like hell

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

google Jake Flores ICE

laugh like hell

Sorry comrade the censors have blocked that name using their state control over the information network. He's probably dead.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Edward Snowden who? Chelsea Manning what? The US government would never torture anyone for speech

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

paragon1 posted:

Sorry comrade the censors have blocked that name using their state control over the information network. He's probably dead.

from "we'd never send the secret police to threaten you over what you said" to "well I can still read about the time we did exactly that, so it's probably fine" in two posts

magnificent

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

VitalSigns posted:

Edward Snowden who? Chelsea Manning what? The US government would never torture anyone for speech

What about them?

Edward Snowden is literally a libertarian moron. He also self-deported and effectively self-jailed.

Chelsea Manning got hosed over by her contact who was supposed to carefully comb poo poo out before things got published too.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

from "we'd never send the secret police to threaten you over what you said" to "well I can still read about the time we did exactly that, so it's probably fine" in two posts

magnificent

Correction: I said the secret police would black bag and murder Vital Signs if he wasn't careful. And followed with "I can't find any information on this person the government disappeared." These are the exact opposite of the things you posted!

VitalSigns posted:

I have no idea who these people are (because all information about them is blocked by the government) but I'm sure they've been disappeared and unpersoned, or at the very least not allowed to speak to anyone to spread their speech, the thing they are in trouble for.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Lmao, technically Snowden wasn't prosecuted for speech because he had to go into self-imposed exile to escape our secret police!

The US government respects freedom of speech, hold on excuse me we have some civil rights leaders to surveil blackmail and assassinate real quick, okay that's done as I was saying if you properly exercise your freedom of government-approved speech you won't end up like Dr King

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

You are allowed to publish accounts of the times we prosecuted people for saying things the government doesn't like, such freedom!

And when we do it to you, others will be allowed to publish what you did to deserve it as an example to the population!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

VitalSigns posted:

Lmao, technically Snowden wasn't prosecuted for speech because he had to go into self-imposed exile to escape our secret police!

The US government respects freedom of speech, hold on excuse me we have some civil rights leaders to surveil blackmail and assassinate real quick, okay that's done as I was saying if you properly exercise your freedom of government-approved speech you won't end up like Dr King

Ferguson protest leaders are showing up in burnt out cars with bullet holes in the back of their heads for reasons the Ferguson police assure us are entirely non-criminal in nature. why would you doubt Our Boys In Blue?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

VitalSigns posted:

lol, how was your January 21st this year. at least use Malcolm X come on dude

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
what thread was this again I keep forgetting

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

paragon1 posted:

lol, how was your January 21st this year. at least use Malcolm X come on dude

not been keeping up with the news outta St. Louis, eh, friend.

for reference, the one you are thinking of was Fred Hampton. that was the one where the FBI flat-out admitted to drugging the guy and then firing a shotgun into his chest point-blank while he slept, and nobody involved ever recieved so much as a slap on the wrist. after all. the sleeping communist represented a clear and present danger to the state.

we don't know who it was who put a bullet in the head of Darren Seals. oddly, it seems the Ferguson police department doesn't have any leads. damndest thing, am i right.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

VitalSigns posted:

Would you care to list the "secret police" he was running from? Or the secret police that caught Chelsea?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Technically the officials prosecuting Americans for speech are overt not secret

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
It's true, our police that do the exact same things secret police do are not actually secret.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

not been keeping up with the news outta St. Louis, eh, friend.

for reference, the one you are thinking of was Fred Hampton. that was the one where the FBI flat-out admitted to drugging the guy and then firing a shotgun into his chest point-blank while he slept, and nobody involved ever recieved so much as a slap on the wrist. after all. the sleeping communist represented a clear and present danger to the state.

we don't know who it was who put a bullet in the head of Darren Seals. oddly, it seems the Ferguson police department doesn't have any leads. damndest thing, am i right.

Why keep up with the news, it's all state media.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

paragon1 posted:

Why keep up with the news, it's all state media.

Aluminum tubes