Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

If I have to find any pages or books to get to the Isle of Mists I'll be pissed.

:haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

captain innocuous
Apr 7, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

If I have to find any pages or books to get to the Isle of Mists I'll be pissed.

You will have to scour for ingredients for a potion on the other side of a room on a table.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I felt for the squirrels until a small sidequest where I was to find a missing patrol. Squirrels killed them, wouldn't talk to me peacefully unless I put down my swords, then the only options they gave me were death or to let them continue to randomly murder people.

They all got beaten to death with my hands. I kill monsters, no matter what form they take.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Nasgate posted:

I felt for the squirrels until a small sidequest where I was to find a missing patrol. Squirrels killed them, wouldn't talk to me peacefully unless I put down my swords, then the only options they gave me were death or to let them continue to randomly murder people.

They all got beaten to death with my hands. I kill monsters, no matter what form they take.

I did the same thing. I was sure I was going to have to reload as soon as the fight started, but then I just sort of said gently caress it and punched them all to death while dodging arrows. It was a long, drawn-out brawl and closer than it should've been. I felt like an idiot. :downs:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oh cool, Ciri can call in airstrikes.

Oh, cool the game bugged out and turned off Ciri's dodge and blink-strike, so she can't actually DODGE the airstrike. :thumbsup:

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Safety Factor posted:

I did the same thing. I was sure I was going to have to reload as soon as the fight started, but then I just sort of said gently caress it and punched them all to death while dodging arrows. It was a long, drawn-out brawl and closer than it should've been. I felt like an idiot. :downs:

Just so other people know, your swords are right behind you and you can pick them up when the fight starts. They even auto equip.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
Why would you even give up your swords to them, or really anyone.

I did give up my swords later in the game to a couple of trolls, but that was because a) they were clearly harmless and b) my igni was at melt-everything levels, and more powerful without swords. So at worst they'd save me from sheathing my sword if we entered combat. But everything worked out fine!

So the point is only give up your weapons if youre inherently powerful enough to deal in other ways.

Reminds me of an Oblivion quest where I got drugged and ended up naked/weaponless in a cave full of cult members and they all think I'm helpless, and I was like 'actually I'm a level 500 Summoner so, have a demon raptor' *demon raptor rips apart the cult* and then I did the Vlodomir strut back to the nearest town.

captain innocuous
Apr 7, 2009
This is the first Witcher I have played, and I just beat the main game, and played it on normal until the end game when I bumped it to the second highest.

I picked don't simulate a save when I started (which I now think was a mistake), so I missed out on Letho, who from reading about I think I want to meet. I thought DON'T simulate a save meant I got to pick the points, when it is apparently the opposite.

On the one hand, I think it would be cool to see some new story things. On the other hand, I don't think I could choose any of the main story any differently Ended up with Yennifer, assassinated Radovid, killed the tree spirit, and Ciri became a Witcher. All of those things just seem right, and I don't think I could change it on a new play through even if I wanted to.

I barely touched Skelige, I was just so high level at that point, and I felt such a rush to finish the story, that I skipped everything there.

Is there a mod that lowers the EXP rate? I think getting about 1/2 to 1/4 the exp would help that for me. Would encourage a slow and careful play-through of most of the story and contract missions.

I am wondering if I should start over on New Game+, or should I start a whole new game on Death March? Any thoughts?

This is the best game I have ever played. Simply amazing, and now I don't know what to do.

Some of these have slight spoilers for my favorite part of the end-game

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I punched them so hard they died. I think I was safe in giving up my swords.

The Belgian Devil
May 3, 2008

Ca plane pour moi

Terrible Horse posted:

If you feel trust for a character, give them the benefit of the doubt and acquiesce to their demands.

This... may not work out so well with regards to Keira.

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

Playing on death march, I actually found the hardest fight to be a fist fight where I couldn't use potions or signs during the dlc. I can murder horrible monsters, no sweat, but still can easily punched out by a pair of guards.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I like how with Ciri your options are "help her control her ultra-magic" or "nah" and "visit Poppa Douchebag" or "Revengeance". I chose control and murdertime. I told her to stop running too.

rip Vesemir :( I know the whole series is about Witchers basically not being things anyone but seeing Kaer Morhen in disrepair followed by him dying, and Lambert and Eskel moving on drives it home. Especially how they mention during the trial of the grasses that they don't remember how to actually do it.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

It's a good thing that Witcher schools are dying out, though. It's frequently depicted as a horrific, barbaric process that kills most people that are subjected to it (usually not entirely of their own volition), and the whole idea is that monsters are starting to die out too so there's no reason to keep torturing kids to make another generation of Witchers. Lambert is presented as something of a dickhead but he's spot on when he rages against what was done to them.

That said: Lambert, Lambert, what a prick.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Quote-Unquote posted:

It's a good thing that Witcher schools are dying out, though. It's frequently depicted as a horrific, barbaric process that kills most people that are subjected to it (usually not entirely of their own volition), and the whole idea is that monsters are starting to die out too so there's no reason to keep torturing kids to make another generation of Witchers. Lambert is presented as something of a dickhead but he's spot on when he rages against what was done to them.

Well yeah, I kind of meant more for them personally. Lambert not included. I'm not sure the game really drives home "not many monsters left" considering how many thousands you kill in your spare time for pocket change though.

Bugs with Ciri and that really annoying eight hit stunlocking combo the Wild Hunt Warriors can do aside the Kaer Morhen defense was really good. I wish it was more obvious how big the sphere of influence for dimeritium bombs is though; I tossed one and three cloud-lengths away I still couldn't cast Igni. I just swapped to Yrden after that.

quote:

Lambert, Lambert, what a prick.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I
That's one inconsistency I noticed in the game. There are like 5 witchers left, everyone who sees you thinks you're a diseased freak. But people are still putting ads on witcher craigslist in every town, and when you talk to them about the contract they're just like "ah, good, so is the price agreeable?" instead of "you guys are real??"

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Terrible Horse posted:

That's one inconsistency I noticed in the game. There are like 5 witchers left, everyone who sees you thinks you're a diseased freak. But people are still putting ads on witcher craigslist in every town, and when you talk to them about the contract they're just like "ah, good, so is the price agreeable?" instead of "you guys are real??"

There are non-Witcher monster hunters too, most of the contracts don't mention witchers specifically I think.

You're right they don't seem surprised to see you most of the time, though.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Terrible Horse posted:

Peasants don't question a lot of stuff they should and as a consequence get basically all of it wrong. Some dirt farmer that believes faeries have been stealing his farts and eating his crops because his wife's tit flopped out during a freak storm will probably be just as likely to believe there are pale mercenary freaks who eat babies and kill monsters for coin roaming every part of the world that he hasn't personally been to.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

RBA Starblade posted:

Bugs with Ciri

On that subject, I just started playing again on PS4 (after beating it and the DLC on NG+ Death march) on easy, just to run around feeling godlike and enjoying the story again, but I've got a hilariously weird bug that I've not encountered until this playthrough: every time Ciri is in a cutscene there are two of her. One just stands still in an idling animation while the other does whatever she's supposed to do during the scene, and they sometimes swap roles when the camera cuts away and back.

Also I discovered something fun involving the Bloody Baron's wife Anna, the crones, the tree spirit and the orphans (apologies if it's been posted before): I went and did the tree spirit quest before I did anything involving the crones, and I set it free in the black horse. I was really happy to see that not only does dialogue change to reflect this, but Anna survives (albeit still insane) so the Baron doesn't kill himself, AND the orphans survive because the tree spirit saves them from the crones..

It's not quite Alpha Protocol-level of sequence breaking with fully scripted results (because let's face it, that game is loving insane with the amount of minor differences you can cause by doing things at different times, and there's nothing quite like it), but it's damned impressive for a game of this size and scope. Now that I've finished that plot line I'm determined to break sequence anywhere I can think of just to see what happens. Gonna start by going to Skellige instead of doing anything in Novigrad, and try to find Thaler and Roach before doing anything with Djikstra.

Oligopsony
May 17, 2007
Trip report: my girlfriend laughed at me because cartoon butts; I can't do a "strong attack" to Grumpy Uncle's satisfaction.

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005
I have a descriminating toe

Dear Compte is been long enough. When is the release date. If you've got something spill the beans.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Cephalocidal posted:

Peasants don't question a lot of stuff they should and as a consequence get basically all of it wrong. Some dirt farmer that believes faeries have been stealing his farts and eating his crops because his wife's tit flopped out during a freak storm will probably be just as likely to believe there are pale mercenary freaks who eat babies and kill monsters for coin roaming every part of the world that he hasn't personally been to.

The Witcher Wild Hunt: some dirt farmer had his farts stolen by a fairy and his wife's tit flopped out

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Terrible Horse posted:

Well, technically "Witcher Contracts" aren't actually witcher contracts, they're just called that in your quest log because they're contracts and you're a witcher. Only a handful of them are actual contracts that ask for witchers and they usually specify.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Finished the base game with an alchemy-heavy build with griffin armor for stamina regen. I'm thinking of respeccing into bear/heavy attack/adrenaline for the DLC. Any advice on a build?

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

CJacobs posted:

Well, technically "Witcher Contracts" aren't actually witcher contracts, they're just called that in your quest log because they're contracts and you're a witcher. Only a handful of them are actual contracts that ask for witchers and they usually specify.

My favourite part about these is that Geralt goes straight into business, "You asked for a Witcher"

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Terrible Horse posted:

A group of dudes in armor can kill the monsters just as well as a witcher can, like the griffin from White Orchard. Problem is that's more expensive then one dude. But as the general population of monsters goes down, that is becoming the more standard solution. They also do not have the expertise of the monsters that the witchers do.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

WoodrowSkillson posted:

A group of dudes in armor can kill the monsters just as well as a witcher can, like the griffin from White Orchard. Problem is that's more expensive then one dude. But as the general population of monsters goes down, that is becoming the more standard solution. They also do not have the expertise of the monsters that the witchers do.

Yes and quite a few contracts you get are basically "So yeah we already sent some guys to take care of it - but errm seems we've not heard back from them - perhaps you could check it out?"

You're basically the last resort for some of the contracts where others have failed or simply do not care.

captain innocuous
Apr 7, 2009
It really doesn't seem like there are less monsters around. And in fact, you get contracts for some monsters that are newly created, like the noonwraith and in the tower of mice

Sure, a cohort of armed and equipped professional soldiers could take down a pack of drowners or a griffin, probably at a great cost of life, but what about supernatural monsters? Many of the contracts you get are for beings that can only be harmed by silver weapons, and after completing an arcane ritual that most people wouldn't know or remember.

What is Redania going to do with all those monsters, especially when they string up and kill all the mages who could possibly help? Witchers most definitely use magic, but the witch hunters in Novigrad seem to let that slide, just because they are necessary for the well-being of the populace.

Maybe just because it's a game, every nook and cranny in the wild is full of leshens, alghouls, ekimarras, foglets, fiends etc. It just seems to me like the best course of action for the kings in the Witcher would be to re-open the witcher schools, and keep a closer eye on them.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

So red mutagens basically don't exist do they? I've found three lesser red ones and that's it. Only three nekker hearts too.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Yeah for whatever reason red mutagens don't show up on any monster common in Velen. To find a really easy farming spot you have to go to Skellige where higher-level drowners in the Whale Graveyard drop them.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

captain innocuous posted:

Sure, a cohort of armed and equipped professional soldiers could take down a pack of drowners or a griffin, probably at a great cost of life, but what about supernatural monsters? Many of the contracts you get are for beings that can only be harmed by silver weapons, and after completing an arcane ritual that most people wouldn't know or remember.

There's also the tracking and deductive elements, I'm sure Witcher Sense is a combination of training/experience/fantasy batman/whatever but a lot of quests have Geralt learning things a conscripted bloke with a sword just wouldn't be able to do.

Bedlam
Feb 15, 2008

Angry thoughts

captain innocuous posted:

It really doesn't seem like there are less monsters around. And in fact, you get contracts for some monsters that are newly created, like the noonwraith and in the tower of mice

What is Redania going to do with all those monsters, especially when they string up and kill all the mages who could possibly help? Witchers most definitely use magic, but the witch hunters in Novigrad seem to let that slide, just because they are necessary for the well-being of the populace.

Maybe just because it's a game, every nook and cranny in the wild is full of leshens, alghouls, ekimarras, foglets, fiends etc. It just seems to me like the best course of action for the kings in the Witcher would be to re-open the witcher schools, and keep a closer eye on them.

Here's a quote from The Last Wish with Geralt talking to a monster he stumbled upon. It's the first page of the first book and the intro to the whole series:

Geralt: "I'm not in the habit of lying"
Nivellen (monster bro): And what are you in the habit of doing? I've heard about witchers--they abduct tiny children whom they feed magic herbs. The ones who survive become witchers themselves, sorcerers with inhuman powers. They're taught to kill, and all human feelings and reactions are trained out of them. They're turned into monsters in order to kill other monsters. I've heard it said it's high time someone starting hunting witchers, as there are fewer and fewer monsters and more and more witchers. Do have some partridge before it's completely cold."

"Why don't you say anything?" he asked indistinctly, swallowing. "How much of the rumors about you witchers is true?"

Geralt:"Practically nothing."
Nivellen: "And what's a lie?"
Geralt:"That there are fewer and fewer monsters."

So yeah there's still plenty of monsters about.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Radovid's dead! I've heard it said it's possible for Roche to die killing him but I don't see how, unless you let Djikstra off all of them. And what was that about not tripping someone?

Sindai posted:

Yeah for whatever reason red mutagens don't show up on any monster common in Velen. To find a really easy farming spot you have to go to Skellige where higher-level drowners in the Whale Graveyard drop them.

Oh, that explains it then. I'll have to make a quick trip there.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Bedlam posted:

Here's a quote from The Last Wish with Geralt talking to a monster he stumbled upon. It's the first page of the first book and the intro to the whole series:

Geralt: "I'm not in the habit of lying"
Nivellen (monster bro): And what are you in the habit of doing? I've heard about witchers--they abduct tiny children whom they feed magic herbs. The ones who survive become witchers themselves, sorcerers with inhuman powers. They're taught to kill, and all human feelings and reactions are trained out of them. They're turned into monsters in order to kill other monsters. I've heard it said it's high time someone starting hunting witchers, as there are fewer and fewer monsters and more and more witchers. Do have some partridge before it's completely cold."

"Why don't you say anything?" he asked indistinctly, swallowing. "How much of the rumors about you witchers is true?"

Geralt:"Practically nothing."
Nivellen: "And what's a lie?"
Geralt:"That there are fewer and fewer monsters."

So yeah there's still plenty of monsters about.

Geralt also points out somewhere that the idea that the silver sword is for monsters and the steel sword is for humans is wrong, they're both for monsters. I always assumed the piece you quoted was geralt commenting on humanity rather than the availability of drowners.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

RBA Starblade posted:

Radovid's dead! I've heard it said it's possible for Roche to die killing him but I don't see how, unless you let Djikstra off all of them. And what was that about not tripping someone?

After the Phillipa-capturing bit there's an option to Shove Djikstra Aside Violently, which is the understatement of the year because Geralt knocks him down and snaps his good leg in half.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Supreme Allah posted:

After the Phillipa-capturing bit there's an option to Shove Djikstra Aside Violently, which is the understatement of the year because Geralt knocks him down and snaps his good leg in half.

Oh lmao, didn't think of that.

Also the time and space quest would be a lot cooler if the deadly vapor world didn't bug out after a short fall and turn THE ENTIRE WORLD INTO DEADLY VAPOR. :byodood:

I understand the statement CD Projekt made about how the whole game is held together with string now. Christ this happens with everything that's not basic combat or movement or questing.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Supreme Allah posted:

I had no idea that was an option. I killed him when he betrayed Roche after Radovid was dead. I felt kind of bad because I liked Djikstra for being an unapologetic dick, but I had gone with Roche in Witcher 2 so no way I was letting that happen.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost
The way they handle Djikstra in that questline is one of the few disappointments in the game for me

Even if you're pragmatic with him the quest still ends with Djikstra giving Geralt a silly ultimatum. He could go after Roche anytime, so why give away your plans to seize power before tying up that loose end? Especially with the witcher around.

Djikstra should be calculating enough to say 'well done gentlemen' and plan to slip Roche some poison later. Instead he basically incites a brawl he can't win.
It didn't ruin the game or anything but it wasn't exactly a high-light.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

andrew smash posted:

Geralt also points out somewhere that the idea that the silver sword is for monsters and the steel sword is for humans is wrong, they're both for monsters. I always assumed the piece you quoted was geralt commenting on humanity rather than the availability of drowners.

I took it literally - Geralt seems like a fairly literal dude.

I read The Lesser Evil/Butcher of Blavikan chapter in The Last Wish and, man, I loved it. Does that event happen in either Witcher 1 or Witcher 2?

Re: The Sword. Geralt talks about it in the beginning of the next chapter.

"You ask what I believe in that case. I believe in the sword. As you can see, I carry two. Every witcher does. It is said, spitefully, the silver one is for monsters and the iron for humans. But that's wrong. As there are monsters which can be struck down only with a silver blade, so there are those for whom iron is lethal."

Mean Baby fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jan 20, 2016

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
At that point the game glitched and wouldn't let me do any combat actions, but Roche and Thaler still won the fight while Geralt stood gawked, so I was left feeling my choice to stick with them didn't really matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

NNick posted:

I took it literally - Geralt seems like a fairly literal dude.

I read The Lesser Evil/Butcher of Blavikan chapter in The Last Wish and, man, I loved it. Does that event happen in either Witcher 1 or Witcher 2?

Re: The Sword. Geralt talks about it in the beginning of the next chapter.

"You ask what I believe in that case. I believe in the sword. As you can see, I carry two. Every witcher does. It is said, spitefully, the silver one is for monsters and the iron for humans. But that's wrong. As there are monsters which can be struck down only with a silver blade, so there are those for whom iron is lethal."

"They're both for monsters" re: the swords is a sentiment I saw attributed to Geralt a lot even before I got interested in the games so I assumed him cynically remarking on human moral weakness was just sort of his, uh, thing. Also it makes for a hecka cool batman-style quote. His reputation as an oversexed stone-cold badass did not prepare me for a dork who makes dad jokes and awkwardly tries to keep his composure around a bunch of sorceresses and fellow witchers who can see right through him.

The other two games don't really tackle book content. The first one is sort of a post-books fanfic, the second is kind of the political setup for the third.