Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

paranoid randroid posted:

like yeah theres something to be said for not treating no-hope rustbelt folks with reflexive contempt, but if youre putting juggalos up on a pedestal as anything other than a bunch of guys who want to smoke weed while listening to crappy music, youre goin a bit far in the opposite direction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
basically the nominee should hand-select the electors in every state, they should never be selected by conventions or any other process in which they may be picked for a reason other than voting for the nominee if they win that state

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

like yeah theres something to be said for not treating no-hope rustbelt folks with reflexive contempt, but if youre putting juggalos up on a pedestal as anything other than a bunch of guys who want to smoke weed while listening to crappy music, youre goin a bit far in the opposite direction

Can we put them up on a pedestal of just being a bunch of guys who want to smoke weed while listening to crappy music? Because that seems fine, imo.

Concerned Citizen posted:

there's probably gonna be a pile of thinkpieces about these faithless electors but i think the main lesson here is that the elector selection process should be improved to prevent morons from getting selected

Hillary Clinton can't even convince her chosen electors to vote for her. I don't think the problem is the morons.

Also, hell, let them do what they want, it's not like it actually matters.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
liberal: "i hate kenny chesney because he is a working class hero representative of rural poor people's interests, disgusting flyover cretins"

me: (pushes liberal down the stairs)

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
So the electoral college result is going to be Trump beating Clinton by 4 more votes than expected?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

basically the nominee should hand-select the electors in every state, they should never be selected by conventions or any other process in which they may be picked for a reason other than voting for the nominee if they win that state

or we can just use this mess as a springboard to finally come together and agree the EC is fuckin dumb

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

In areas where they're popular though, they're not just guys who want to smoke weed and listen to crappy music, they become a fictive kinship network of impoverished whites (there are non white juggalos too but they tend to be rare) who help each other out whenever one of their own is struggling, whether that means all pitching in to buy groceries or diapers, pay for medical bills, help with funeral costs, watch each other's kids etc.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Gizmoduck_5000 posted:

It doesn't matter who we run in 2020 - another neolib diet republican or a firebreathing populist hero; Trump's still going to win because the right wing propaganda machine just proved they can turn ANYTHING into a scandal that resonates more clearly with the public than the candidates actual platform. The media isn't going to suddenly start doing their jobs, because they are in the business of ratings and ad revenue, not informing the electorate. Elections are not a contest of ideas anymore...it's a marketing campaign and nothing more. The average american doesn't give a poo poo about policy; they just want to watch nascar and gently caress a hole they cut into a bag of doritos and vote for the loudest candidate. But hey. at least you highroaders who are more concerned with winning the "right" way will be able to hold your heads high at the guillotines.
take a xanax

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

or we can just use this mess as a springboard to finally come together and agree the EC is fuckin dumb

Counterpoint: This is actually great and amazing and I am thoroughly enjoying getting what little satisfaction I can wring out of a Trump win, don't take this away.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I just did a google image search for that Juggalo funeral picture and woowie did it just load up a bunch of pictures of dead people in clown makeup and separately lots of misshapen boobs.

I think I'm on a few new lists today.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

GlyphGryph posted:

Counterpoint: This is actually great and amazing and I am thoroughly enjoying getting what little satisfaction I can wring out of a Trump win, don't take this away.

a fair rebuttal

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

perez is plenty qualified to be chair and i don't think labor needs him in the courtroom. there are other great lawyers. i think, however, that he may be too vested in the way the dnc does things to be truly committed to carrying out the reforms needed to improve the party. if he's selected - fine, i think he will do some good stuff. but he isn't my first pick.

oh because daddy obama said so?

Gizmoduck_5000
Oct 6, 2013

Your superior intellect is no match for our primitive weapons!

GlyphGryph posted:

They are actually pretty good at political skullduggery just so you know, and it's a big part of how they got into this mess because it turns out they mostly used it to keep lovely people in power in safe seats and now a good chunk of the party is poo poo on the whole.

I'm not saying they always gotta take the high road, I'm just saying your understanding of people is pretty poor.

Of course it's poor! I'm angry and panicking and furiously assigning blame wherever I can find an even tenuously plausible scapegoat. It's either pure nihilism for me, or going full on robes-pierre. I'm teetering on the brink.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
look man I'm pretty scared about the next 4 years too but we can't beat Red Nude And Angry with Blue Nude And Terrified

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Gizmoduck_5000 posted:

Of course it's poor! I'm angry and panicking and furiously assigning blame wherever I can find an even tenuously plausible scapegoat. It's either pure nihilism for me, or going full on robes-pierre. I'm teetering on the brink.
or maybe some zoloft

or celexa

or buspar

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
We DO have to be nude though, the only way to fix this is by naked wrestling our way across the rust belt

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Ace of Baes posted:

In areas where they're popular though, they're not just guys who want to smoke weed and listen to crappy music, they become a fictive kinship network of impoverished whites (there are non white juggalos too but they tend to be rare) who help each other out whenever one of their own is struggling, whether that means all pitching in to buy groceries or diapers, pay for medical bills, help with funeral costs, watch each other's kids etc.

thats fine

its still funny that the crux of the community is an identity based around a band that shares a record label with Vanilla Ice tho

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
let us not get so dourly class conscious that we can no longer appreciate the absurd when it is presented to us, friends

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
checks in on thread....

Juggalos, huh.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

RENEGADE CUCKSKY posted:

A lot of unions feel burned that they went against the wishes of their memberships to endorse Hillary.

the same thing happened again during the last AFL-CIO executive meeting, when they were given a choice of "Keith Ellison, No Endorsement, or Abstain" which in the wake of what had just happened was unbelievably dumb. I won't be shocked one bit if you see more endorsements for Perez, he was a good secretary of labor and unions are getting real tired of being told who they Absolutely, Must Endorse by a bunch of executives who are more concerned with being Democratic party operatives than responsibly acting as elected voices for American workers

In typical 21st century American labor movement fashion, they are taking a stand in the exact wrong time, but here we are!

Just a note:

While the United Food and Commercial Workers International Union are part of the AFL-CIO and have broken ranks.

The United Farm Workers are part of Change to Win with the Teamsters and Service Employees International Union and are not affiliated with the AFL-CIO.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Tatum Girlparts posted:

We DO have to be nude though, the only way to fix this is by naked wrestling our way across the rust belt

Be the Rainbowbeard you want to see in the world.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Darkman Fanpage posted:

oh because daddy obama said so?

obama may turn out to have been the worst president in our lifetimes, including reagan, not for his actions but for his impact

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

in meeting rooms all over the country democrats are coming together and deciding the problem with hillary is that she was too radically left-wing, and deciding they need to get back to the centrism of Obama if we're ever going to get back on top... you see when they go low.... we go high

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Oh Snapple! posted:

I disagree very much on the "qualified to be chair" part. You can't head an organization whose goal is to get people elected if you have no actual experience on that front.

i'm not sure i am going to give ellison a lot of credit for managing to win a general election in minneapolis as a democrat, in one of the most democratic seats in the nation. nor do i necessarily think electoral experience is needed to run the dnc, which is only partially tasked with the actual nuts and bolts of campaigning. the dnc itself, right now, is kind of a rudderless boat - it has very little actual purpose other than to raise money and farm it out to campaign committees like dccc, as well as various logistical items like setting party rules or managing the voter file. it could be doing more, and i think perez wants it to. however, i'm not entirely sure he's willing to do what it will take to make the party truly competitive.

GlyphGryph posted:

Hillary Clinton can't even convince her chosen electors to vote for her. I don't think the problem is the morons.

Also, hell, let them do what they want, it's not like it actually matters.

hillary didn't choose these electors. they were elected by sanders supporters, which is a dumb way to choose electors. it doesn't really matter this time but it ought to be fixed because one day it might very well gently caress us over.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Also yea getting back on actual track, it's hard to really blame a few unions trying to break ranks when before this it was just a straight up coronation. If one issue we're going to raise is gonna be the DNC primary was just one big victory ceremony for Clinton we can't get upset at people not liking a choice of 'our guy or abstain'. I don't think it'll have much impact but it's a losing battle to try to shame them for bucking what they see as yet another round of kingmaking handed down to them to 'endorse'.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/deep_beige/status/810955129008623616

Hahaha

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Also yea getting back on actual track, it's hard to really blame a few unions trying to break ranks when before this it was just a straight up coronation. If one issue we're going to raise is gonna be the DNC primary was just one big victory ceremony for Clinton we can't get upset at people not liking a choice of 'our guy or abstain'. I don't think it'll have much impact but it's a losing battle to try to shame them for bucking what they see as yet another round of kingmaking handed down to them to 'endorse'.

I can more or less agree with this, but boy did that shot at Ellison as a "divider" from the UFW person leave a really bad taste.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
man if youre gonna go faithless then, yeah, throw your vote to an out-there guy like Faith Spotted Eagle. dont act like youre making some kind of calculated diplomatic play by going with Colin Powell. jesus, i bet these guys also donated to rebuild the NCGOP building.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

As Federalist 37 argues, once

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I like this post

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

so who's going to win the leadership race? is the israel lobby going to successfully torpedo keith?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

icantfindaname posted:

so who's going to win the leadership race? is the israel lobby going to successfully torpedo keith?

Keith still has a tons more support and any chance of 'the Israel lobby' hurting him was taken away when Schumer near instantly came to support him.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

So have all the faithless cast their votes for Bernie?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

wait

are you guys telling me that anyone other than white people listens to Insane Clown Posse :psyduck:

(also lol @ Fulchrum)

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

So have all the faithless cast their votes for Bernie?
1 cast a vote for Bernie but was overridden by state law
3 Colin Powell
1 Faith Spotted Eagle :911:

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I'm honestly just real annoyed that Obama's clear presence is otherwise tainting what would have been a very good race for the DNC to be having in the wake of the GE.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

are the bernie people voting for colon powell doing it as a gently caress you to hillary because they had a minor spat during the primaries???

because they know he's one of the chief architects of the iraq war lie right

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

automation is inevitable. the only two solutions are 1. banning/punishing automation so that we employ people to do jobs that aren't really necessary just so they are employed or 2. taxing automating companies heavily and redistributing the money to displaced workers. one of these is absurd but relatively easy to do, the other makes sense but implies upending the entire international trade and capital regime that the us has promoted for decades. a bit tricky, but i think 2 will happen eventually. there's not really a true alternative.

Lol there is absolutely a true alternative to #2. Lots of people unemployed or in poverty, and they can't do anything because the panopticon police state crushes any dissent. That is so much more realistic that GMI.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
theres going to be at least one dumb son of a bitch who goes faithless for John Kasich, and i hope hes thrown into a volcano

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I was at the AFL Executive Council meeting and it was almost comical

There was a ton of talk and debate over how Hillary's coronation came back to bite everyone in the rear end, we should have known all along, we should have listened to the members, etc

"Okay, we're gonna do a poll to get everyones input over who we should endorse for DNC chair:

A) Keith Ellison
B) No endorsement
C) Abstain"

:psyduck:

• Locked thread