Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT

metaxus posted:

That sounds like static discharging between the record and the cartridge's cantilever.

Get yourself a Zerostat gun, shoot both sides of the record with it before playing, and increase the relative humidity in the room to lessen the chance of static building up while the record is playing... A couple of small potted plants are a cheap alternative to buying a humidifier.

I bought a zerostat gun and a humidifier and it didn't help at all. I'm very frustrated on how to fix this lol.

It definitely sounds worse on the first few tracks of a record as opposed to the last few. Does that help with providing a solution?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

TooLShack posted:

Jeeze, what size are those woofers? Nice looking set up, really dig the shelf you are using. I would like something just like that but with two levels since I got a bunch of reel to reel stuff.

They're 16". It's a dumb design though. There's no air volume inside the housing. They're about half as deep as you'd expect them to be, and even then it probably wouldn't be enough to maximize 16" woofers. The speakers sound fine though. They get loud. 200 bucks for everything, speakers included. Not a bad deal IMO.

And the table's just an old piece of furniture I've had forever. Works pretty well for that setup.

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
I thought my cerwin vega dx9 were silly looking. I think it's the small cabinet that makes yours look so silly.

TooLShack fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Nov 4, 2013

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

TooLShack posted:

I thought my cerwin vega dx9 were silly looking. I think it's the small cabinet that makes yours look so silly.

Oh jeez, those are beautiful compared to these uggos. The grills are really special though.

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
Reminds me of the Kenwood K-777s that are at the local record store. We haven't been able to hook them up because we have too much gear and records crammed into a tiny house.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

TooLShack posted:

Reminds me of the Kenwood K-777s that are at the local record store. We haven't been able to hook them up because we have too much gear and records crammed into a tiny house.

They're KL-888's.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

That my fellow goons, is a steal.

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
Better post pictures of it all hooked up.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

TooLShack posted:

Better post pictures of it all hooked up.

I don't have any DIN cables to hook it up to things, unfortunately. Seeing as how I already have a full stereo set that sounds pretty good to my ears, and how much these go for on eBay (I need the money), I'm gonna sell them before I'm tempted to buy the cables and hook them up buy a DIN-to-RCA adapter so that I can make sure it works before I sell it to someone, because to do otherwise would mean I'm a shithead.

:smith:

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Nov 5, 2013

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

What have you done to me? I didn't even need this stuff!

(Not shown: tape deck, turntable, and tuner that came with the AKAI Amp).

Now to do what I can to clean these up and see if they're worth using.

odiv fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Nov 5, 2013

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

:stare:

That JVC receiver is the coolest loving thing.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
So I got one of these to mess around with.

I've got some bookshelf speakers from my dad's failed attempt to build a home theatre surround system. Can I use one of those Lepai things to power them if I don't really have space for a big honkin' receiver?

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
That turntable has a built in phono pre-amp, so yeah, you should be fine with that little amp. Assuming the bookshelf speakers aren't *too* big.

whereismyshoe
Oct 21, 2008

that's not gone well...
So, i grabbed a pair of Heresys today - they're awesome, except i'm having trouble with one of them. The woofer pops a lot at higher volumes, and it's just one of the pair. I've got the bass turned up a little on my amp (Fisher X-100), but it happens even when i turn the bass down and the volume up a little. It's almost as if it's clipping, but the other speaker handles the volume just fine. Any ideas on what this could be?

e: it's worth saying that by "a little" i mean "really loving loud because i'm not used to such efficient speakers" and i won't have it at that level when listening casually..but it would be nice to fix it regardless

whereismyshoe fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Nov 6, 2013

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

whereismyshoe posted:

So, i grabbed a pair of Heresys today - they're awesome, except i'm having trouble with one of them. The woofer pops a lot at higher volumes, and it's just one of the pair. I've got the bass turned up a little on my amp (Fisher X-100), but it happens even when i turn the bass down and the volume up a little. It's almost as if it's clipping, but the other speaker handles the volume just fine. Any ideas on what this could be?

If you've tried switching cables, etc., it's probably a crossover issue. I've heard good things about the rebuild kits from this guy: http://www.critesspeakers.com/crossovers.html

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

It could also be the spider stretching after years in the same position, try turning it upside down.

naughty_penguin
Oct 9, 2005
Fun Shoe
My peachtree audio decco is giving me trouble when I turn it on. Usually, the amp turns on and the volume turns itself down until the tube warms up. While this is going on, whatever input I have selected is lit up on the front, and I can change inputs.

Today when I try to turn it on, the volume turns itself all the way up, all of the input lights light up and I can't change them. I let it sit for a while like this, and it never changed. I can hear the motor in the volume knob running, and even if I turn it down it still turns back up. I can't get any sound out of it.

Anybody have any ideas?

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet
Hey guys. Been a while since I updated here. Got my turntable hooked up and working fine. Speakers that were recommended sound great.

Currently the system is in OK shape. I don't have anything mounted so not worthy of pictures yet. But I plan on posting a nice little right up when I finish the whole project.

I did however come into possession of a new set of speakers today. My friend was cleaning out his attic and found a pair of Mesa 65's. As you can see from the pictures they're blown. I was wondering how tough it would be to fix them. Would it involve just getting some new speakers to put in the boxes or replacing the material around them? I'm hoping to salvage them as I think they'd sound great added to my system.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Hook them up and play them softly to see if they still work, no sense refoaming them if they're dead. If they're good, order the right size and go for it, just be careful to get the voice coil centered so it doesn't scrape the magnet. I'm not familiar with this model, but some speakers have tight tolerances and you may need to take off the dustcap and shim around the inside of the coil with paper strips.

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet
Good point. Are there any guides on this stuff?

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

These are good guides.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwcfP5pKeek
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxC7oDIP0wE

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet
Thanks. I had found the first one last night after posting. That second video is fantastic. I think I'm going to try and do this myself. I'll take some pics of the process once I get a chance to do it all. If all else fails I found a few repair shops around here. Really want to give this a shot though.

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
Had a good weekend at yard sales, snagged a Technics SL-DL1, Sansui 9900Z, and 2 Sansui G-8000s. All work fine just need a good clean and servicing.

So far on G-8000 number one, it had a very low audio on the left channel and just crap audio on the right. After the most annoying deoxit job ever, everything is working great. Sprayed down all the tone,selector, and volume switches. To reach some of the feature(Dolby/FM mute) switches I'd have to remove the face plate and some circuit boards, so screw that, it sounds just fine now. Lots of dog hair to clean up though.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

TooLShack posted:

Had a good weekend at yard sales, snagged a Technics SL-DL1, Sansui 9900Z, and 2 Sansui G-8000s. All work fine just need a good clean and servicing.

I'm sure you've gotten this before but gently caress YOU, man!

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Nov 10, 2013

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Deoxit or similar are apparently impossible to find here. Going to check the auto shops next, but haven't had any luck.

If I end up ordering some in, is there something else I should order at the same time? I'd rather not pay shipping on this and then find out after I start cleaning up my amp that there's another thing I'll need.

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Ha, I've had a dry spell lately, just lucked out this weekend. I'm sansui flush right now, all that above and two 8080DBs(one goes into protect), and a G-3000.

odiv: Have you tried guitar center? That is where I get mine, when it gets in stock I usually buy around 3 cans.

Here is a picture of the gear room for a record shop I help out at on the weekends. Notice that fat stack of Mcintoshs.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Nah, nothing like that here. We have The Source, an independant shop that used to be a Radio Shack, Canadian Tire, Home Hardware, Staples, and some auto shops.

Found some electrical contact cleaner at Canadian Tire I almost got, but on the can it emphasized that it was not for use on home electronics. Trying the auto shops next, but not holding my breath.

Next closest city is about a 15 hour drive.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer

odiv posted:

Nah, nothing like that here. We have The Source, an independant shop that used to be a Radio Shack, Canadian Tire, Home Hardware, Staples, and some auto shops.

Found some electrical contact cleaner at Canadian Tire I almost got, but on the can it emphasized that it was not for use on home electronics. Trying the auto shops next, but not holding my breath.

Next closest city is about a 15 hour drive.

I bought my deoxit in Canada from a music instrument store, Long & McQuade specifically. Not sure which Canadian town you live in, but it might be worth a shot.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

See if you can get some CRC QD Electronic Cleaner at Home Hardware.
http://www.homehardware.ca/en/rec/i...tjg1/R-I8618873

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I would just buy mine on Amazon and stop thinking about it so much. The "survival kits" Deoxit makes are a nice starter but you'll easily run out of cleaner if you've got a big/particularly grungy piece of equipment, and all you really need is the red label stuff anyway. I would just buy two decent-sized cans of it and some applicators.

Just make sure that whatever wipes/applicators/pipe cleaners you use aren't gonna leave residue or lint or pieces of themselves all up in your jacks and connectors and stuff (that means no q-tips).

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I would just buy mine on Amazon and stop thinking about it so much.
Yeah, my question was if there's something else I should get at the same time while I'm at it. From the looks of things, as long as I've got applicators and deoxit, I'm fine?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Electric Bugaloo posted:

x2 :argh:

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
Well not everything is roses on the first G-8000, got it all back together and after some extended testing I'm hearing slight distortion in the right channel at higher volumes. Can't really detect it with headphones at lower sounds, but at the higher volume it's there and annoying. Gonna take a break from that one and go back to it at another time, will do a full removal of the circuit boards to really get at the pots/switches. If that doesn't fix it I'm not sure what to do.

I'm gonna work on the 9900Z later tonight, I'll get you some pictures of the goofy rear end volume controls.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
My process is usually (in order)

1. Contact clean all pots
2. Reflow all ground solder joints
3. Inspect all caps, resistors, and other easily replaceable components for burn-outs etc.
4. Replace caps

If that doesn't work, then you either need to bust out the multimeter, or find a pro. Even if contact cleaning fixes the issue, I'd still recommend doing #'s 2-4 anyways, as reflowing can only help, and caps in vintage audio equipment from the 70's or earlier needs to be replaced as they are most likely dry and beginning to damage the rest of the stereo.

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
Started work on the 9900Z tonight. Some tricky pots placement for balance/bass/treble, but some creative bending of the tube I was able to get them all cleaned up. After working on the G8000, this one feels cheap. Crappy looking transformer, thinner metal in the frame, way more plastic. Anyways here is some pics and a short video of how the silly volume works on this thing.

Check out that heat pipe. My computer is jealous.

So the fan operates on a thermal switch, looks like the previous owner never cranked it up enough to have it come on.

Here is the Volume pots/motor/gauge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFEyLTThisQ

TooLShack fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Nov 14, 2013

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

TooLShack posted:

Started work on the 9900Z tonight. Some tricky pots placement for balance/bass/treble, but some creative bending of the tube I was able to get them all cleaned up. After working on the G8000, this one feels cheap. Crappy looking transformer, thinner metal in the frame, way more plastic. Anyways here is some pics and a short video of how the silly volume works on this thing.

The 80's were pretty much the death of quality Hi-Fi for most manufacturers. Sansui's quality dropped off the map as soon as they threw out their 1979 calendar, and a lot of other manufacturers did the same in short order. You pretty much have the Sansui Polar opposites with regards to Hi-Fi quality. The 9900Z is on the low end, while the G8000 is close to the top. Personally I wouldn't even cross the street for a 9900Z, but would walk over my own mother for a G8000.

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
Found this cool Pioneer Tape deck, fun to watch it work with the top off. Sorry for the wobbly camera. One cool feature is it has a rewind all button. So load the sucker up, hit rewind all, then cycle threw a bunch of music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmdPi6-4k9w

TooLShack fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Nov 17, 2013

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
So you guys remember that horrible left channel resonance issue I've been having? The one where playing a record at moderate volume results in the left channel woofer losing its poo poo like so?

At this point I'm certain that the problem's not anywhere in the speaker or receiver. I've swapped the channel inputs and switched the turntable with the one from my bedroom and when I do, everything performs like it's supposed to at any volume. I only get resonance with this specific table. Swapping the table also resulted in significantly better sound, particularly in the lower register and in channel separation- though I'm also willing to bet that this has to do with my bedroom table simply having a superior cartridge.

So at this point, the question became- well, what exactly is the problem? Information about the VT-250 is hard to find, but it's supposed to be a very good table- and this particular one has been in use for a long time without any issues.

Today, I happened to pull the headshell off and I noticed that the stylus arm is notably slanted to the right. It's as if the tonearm's been putting a ton of leftward (inward) force on the cartridge- enough to bend the stylus assembly out of alignment. That definitely seems concerning, and I imagine that it could possibly explain the problems I've been having.

Now my question becomes- is this an anti-skate issue or an alignment issue?

I had this cart (Audio Technica CN5625AL) installed by a dude at my local record store a few months ago. I had tried to do it myself and snapped one of the ancient wire leads, so I brought the headshell in and he did it for me in like 10 minutes as a favor.

To be honest, the alignment never looked right to me. The relative positions of the screws in the mounting slots were way different from the ones on the old cartridge, which my dad tells me was professionally set up. This cartridge is roughly parallel with the two mounting slots, whereas the old one was on an angle (kind of the same angle that the stylus arm is bent in this one, tbh). The connection between the VT-250 headshell and tonearm is the reverse of the "standard," so you can't just pop it on another turntable in order to use a protractor. I suppose this makes aligning the cartridge beyond eyeballing pretty much impossible without having the whole turntable, which this guy didn't.

So now I've got a new AT95e (I was planning to do this anyway) and alignment protractor being shipped to my place. However, I don't wanna risk ruining a new stylus in case it turns out to be the anti-skate. Any way for me to figure this out without spending a significant amount or does misalignment sound like a more likely culprit?

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Nov 22, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Anyone have any experience with McIntosh gear? I'm looking at a MA 5100 that apparently needs a new tube. It looks like it's solid state to me, so I don't know what the seller is talking about, but I'm willing to play it out a little more. There's supposed to be some hum. Looks mint though, like hosed up ones on ebay are going for more money, so I'm not sure what to do.

And I going to buy this, fix it up a little, and love it?