Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Serotonin posted:

Ah gently caress.

Just made an impulse buy of Charlie Dont Surf, TFL's Vietnam rules. I have a bad feeling about this.

http://toofatlardies.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=72

I have them, although I've not done much more than skim them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
They look very very similar to IABSM3 from what I've skimmed, which is no bad thing.

KSAF Staff Report
Dec 5, 2011

#acolyte faggot Hall of Fame
Ask me about trying to get published by The Black Library in between the minutes of Traffic Court reporting. Also ask me about having a game survival rate worse than the Infant Mortality Rate of Afghanistan

lilljonas posted:

Thanks! Actually, I've already done a shrine and some other houses, you can see them on muraminiatures.com. I haven't done any bridges yet though, and that's actually a really good idea as it is a common thing to put on a battlefield. I've thought about doing torii too, but I can't really do it with the simple silicone molding procedure that I use at the moment. A torii in this scale would be much better done in metal actually, too bad there's no companies (at all!) manufacturing metal miniatures here in Sweden, or I could have "leased" some equipment and knowledge.

I had forgotten your URL, so thanks for putting that up.

I think one area you could explore is damaged property.
* I thought of that first with the modular wall sections. This way players could replace the walls mid-game as they are damaged in battle. Alternately, they could simply place the damaged walls out at the beginning.
* This could be carried over with the civilian structures. In fact, couldn't you recycle some of the casts to make a damaged version?
* Also, the Japanese did build roadside shrines in [url= http://www.armstrong.edu/Initiatives/history_journal/history_journal_essay_convenient_gods] this era.[/url] I am not sure where you would find more images, but I imagine a quick GIS could dig some up.
*Roads or creeks. I just see those a lot from Galeforce 9 and other terrain manufacturers.

As an aside, I like the layout you have going so far on the site. The clean, linear style holds up well. If you do add some more types of items, you may want to split things out. E.g. Products/6mm/Urban Structures. But that's a longer-term thing.

I think the reviews section is a good way to ensure people keep coming back to the site. This continual presence should help draw in more readers. And readers are potential buyers. The only issue is that when I click on the old reviews section, it brings up just an image and not the review. I am not sure what's going on there. I will note that the direct link on the left side works.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

KSAF Staff Report posted:

I had forgotten your URL, so thanks for putting that up.

I think one area you could explore is damaged property.
* I thought of that first with the modular wall sections. This way players could replace the walls mid-game as they are damaged in battle. Alternately, they could simply place the damaged walls out at the beginning.
* This could be carried over with the civilian structures. In fact, couldn't you recycle some of the casts to make a damaged version?
* Also, the Japanese did build roadside shrines in [url= http://www.armstrong.edu/Initiatives/history_journal/history_journal_essay_convenient_gods] this era.[/url] I am not sure where you would find more images, but I imagine a quick GIS could dig some up.
*Roads or creeks. I just see those a lot from Galeforce 9 and other terrain manufacturers.

As an aside, I like the layout you have going so far on the site. The clean, linear style holds up well. If you do add some more types of items, you may want to split things out. E.g. Products/6mm/Urban Structures. But that's a longer-term thing.

I think the reviews section is a good way to ensure people keep coming back to the site. This continual presence should help draw in more readers. And readers are potential buyers. The only issue is that when I click on the old reviews section, it brings up just an image and not the review. I am not sure what's going on there. I will note that the direct link on the left side works.

Thanks for the feedback, it's really great to hear some detailed information from a visitor. It's very helpful.

The reviews and tutorials are indeed a way to get more visitors and get the homepage "out there", as the number of samurai 6mm gamers out there is very small. If I ever start making 15mm or 28mm stuff it will be very helpful to be a bit established in the community.

As for destroyed terrain, well, I've actually done that myself with some of the miscasts! The miscasts tends to ruin the roofs, making them look all burned out. Maybe I could do a temporary offer now and then and sell off some ruined stock. I like the idea of ruined walls, it should work easily with the modular system.

I have a smaller shrine that I didn't put on the list yet. Mostly because I'm thinking of making some other smaller temple-themed item, and make a combined pack. You can see it here together with some wells that I also haven't put on the list yet:

I'm happy that you like the desing of the website. Since atrocious web design in the historical hobby is my personal pet peeve, it would be very sanctimonious to rant about it for years and then make a crappy site. It's based on a template of a friend though, so sometimes the stuff I do in the backoffice doesn't translate perfectly to the website. A lot of the old news posts seem to behave strange, for one thing, and the order of the products get messed up a bit too. If I keep adding items to the 6mm samurai range I'll probably have to end up chopping it up a bit, just like you mention.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
Someone convince me to (not) buy Black Powder at the store tomorrow. They got rid of the Malifaux stock and I need something to impulse buy and feel bad about later.

BoBtheImpaler
Oct 11, 2002
Dinosaur Gum
Thanks for the write-up Serotonin. That book is in danger of getting bought next time my WW2 historical buddy visits from across the country.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)

Serotonin posted:

Ah gently caress.

Just made an impulse buy of Charlie Dont Surf, TFL's Vietnam rules. I have a bad feeling about this.

http://toofatlardies.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=72

I hope the rules include things like "massacre civilian village" and "return home to a ruined life thanks to PTSD". :smug:

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Oxford Comma posted:

I hope the rules include things like "massacre civilian village" and "return home to a ruined life thanks to PTSD". :smug:

Actually they sort of do. The appears to be 2 victory condition d types-military and political. Military victories are the obvious stuff around achieving objectives etc but political objectives are different for both sides and include having dead bodies to show to the press or capturing POWs for the VC etc. seems a clever idea and means that the Americans can't just go in with guns blazing, dropping artillery everywhere because dead civilians don't look good on the news.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Devlan Mud posted:

Someone convince me to (not) buy Black Powder at the store tomorrow. They got rid of the Malifaux stock and I need something to impulse buy and feel bad about later.

Buy it. Buy it. Buy it.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Devlan Mud posted:

Serotonin posted:

Buy it. Buy it. Buy it.

Honey Badger
Jan 5, 2012

^^^ Like this, but its your mouth, and shit comes out of it.

"edit: Oh neat, babby's first avatar. Kind of a convoluted metaphor but eh..."

No, shit is actually extruding out of your mouth, and your'e a pathetic dick, shut the fuck up.
So what are the big companies for modern minis? I've tried looking around and I'm not familiar with all the different scales so I can't tell if a particular miniature is ugly because it's a bad sculpt or because its the size of a pencil eraser. I'm looking for some guys I can paint a fair amount of detail on, but I don't want them to be too big because then I spend way too much time on each piece sperging out about shading and perfect lines and poo poo (which is why I could never finish a WH40k army).

The only ruleset I have looked at so far is Ambush Alley, which looks awesome, but I'm not sure what scale miniatures would best complement that ruleset. I'm guessing relatively small, considering the options for vehicles and such.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Honey Badger posted:

So what are the big companies for modern minis? I've tried looking around and I'm not familiar with all the different scales so I can't tell if a particular miniature is ugly because it's a bad sculpt or because its the size of a pencil eraser. I'm looking for some guys I can paint a fair amount of detail on, but I don't want them to be too big because then I spend way too much time on each piece sperging out about shading and perfect lines and poo poo (which is why I could never finish a WH40k army).

The only ruleset I have looked at so far is Ambush Alley, which looks awesome, but I'm not sure what scale miniatures would best complement that ruleset. I'm guessing relatively small, considering the options for vehicles and such.

Sounds like either 1/72 (which is roughly 20mm, or "those small plastic dudes") or 15mm for you. Some details, but still quick to paint.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Honey Badger posted:

For 15mm Ambush Alley type games I might recommend Peter Pig's AK-47 Republic stuff
. His infantry are quite nice, vehicles are only so-so.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

El Estrago Bonito posted:

I wasn't so hot on IRA stuff but they wanted to do a more modern skirmish level thing, so we decided on IRA vs UDA. Previously we did Gangs of New York, Prohibition era Mafia and Libya. We had also considered doing an inner city Gangs (IE Crips vs Bloods or similar) but shockingly the miniature support for that is absolutely terrible. This is all for Legends of the Old West BTW.

There's a skirmish game I can't remember the name of that's police versus British football hooligans with suitable miniatures available. There are also a few miniatures for some 70s cop skirmish game based on The Sweeney called Geezers! Shut it!, which I think had an expansion set in the US with a few miniatures for that too. They're a bit campy and more about a fun theme than any kind of realism/simulation level of rules, but they might appeal or if you can find the miniatures somewhere, you could use them with a ruleset of your choice.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!
I finally got my copy of Saga in the mail. Briefly had a flick through, it looks pretty fun. When I get some time I'll give it a go and place some feedback.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)

Honey Badger posted:

1:72 is pretty good. Elhiem makes some awesome figures for that, and there's a ton of 1:72 scale models you can use for your vehicles.

Ambush Alley is pretty awesome.

BoBtheImpaler
Oct 11, 2002
Dinosaur Gum

No Pun Intended posted:

I finally got my copy of Saga in the mail. Briefly had a flick through, it looks pretty fun. When I get some time I'll give it a go and place some feedback.

Please do, Saga sounds like a blast. As soon as I get set up at this new job, I think I'll be treating myself to some tiny Danes and Welshmen.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Any Saga players I would recommend treat themselves to these.

http://www.warbases.co.uk/#/accessories/4533097200
(scroll down to the bottom)

Some nice custom laser cut fatigue tokens and measuring sticks. Really pleased with my ones.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Serotonin posted:

Any Saga players I would recommend treat themselves to these.

http://www.warbases.co.uk/#/accessories/4533097200
(scroll down to the bottom)

Some nice custom laser cut fatigue tokens and measuring sticks. Really pleased with my ones.

That -is- nice.

Originally, I was going to make two of the same armies for Saga, but I think I'm going to make a second of something else. Haven't figured out what yet.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

So is FoW discontinuing almost all the Polish sets or am I reading this wrong?

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums

The Oldest Man posted:

So is FoW discontinuing almost all the Polish sets or am I reading this wrong?

Battlefront is just reorganizing their product line (partly due to V3) and anything that was available only in the box sets will show up as a blister or new box set shortly.

They seem to want to keep the number of box sets fixed so they are clearing out some older boxes, or boxes for older books (like blitzkrieg) to make room for the upcoming Operation Barbarossa and Battle of the Bulge books and box sets.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Numlock posted:

Battlefront is just reorganizing their product line (partly due to V3) and anything that was available only in the box sets will show up as a blister or new box set shortly.

They seem to want to keep the number of box sets fixed so they are clearing out some older boxes, or boxes for older books (like blitzkrieg) to make room for the upcoming Operation Barbarossa and Battle of the Bulge books and box sets.

I'm a little preturbed at them dropping the Carri box, I was hoping to get at least one more. But, I'm a little excited to hear about Battle of the Bulge. I may get back into Americans.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The Kraut tears will be delicious.

BTW you have seen this right? (Scroll to bottom)

http://www.flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=3160

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Numlock posted:

I want to play americans again now. When PSC makes those in plastic, I mean. To hell with battlefront prices.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Numlock posted:

Not sure if I want M18s or Easy Eights...

Though, I wonder if they'll try to sneak Pershings in. I know the Battle of the Bulge ended in late Jan. and the first engagement with Pershings wasn't until late Feb, iirc; but just curious if they'll try to sneak that one in there.

Also, that "jumbo" box art... who the hell was driving that Panther? How the hell do you roll it overlike that?

Numlock
May 19, 2007

YF19pilot posted:

Also, that "jumbo" box art... who the hell was driving that Panther? How the hell do you roll it overlike that?

Bet it was hit by air support.

Talk is on the Official forums is that there will be 7 new box sets for the Americans. How much will be new and how much will be repackaged old stuff (like the M18's) is unknown.

If the talk about the Bulge books (talk is that there will be three books) is true, they could cover the west front all the way to the end of the war and thus Pershings could make an appearance soon.

KSAF Staff Report
Dec 5, 2011

Ask me about trying to get published by The Black Library in between the minutes of Traffic Court reporting. Also ask me about having a game survival rate worse than the Infant Mortality Rate of Afghanistan
Do we have any idea when there will be a new Midwar Eastern Front at all? I know my Finns are still legal under Eastern Front, but I wonder when we'll get a shift.
It doesn't help that both my regular opponets (Strelkovy and Fallschirmjaeger) will be getting new lists in the new pack.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Devlan Mud posted:

I want to play americans again now. When PSC makes those in plastic, I mean. To hell with battlefront prices.
At least one of their new Sherman 76 kits has hit the shelves in my FLGS already.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

KSAF Staff Report posted:

Do we have any idea when there will be a new Midwar Eastern Front at all? I know my Finns are still legal under Eastern Front, but I wonder when we'll get a shift.
It doesn't help that both my regular opponets (Strelkovy and Fallschirmjaeger) will be getting new lists in the new pack.

The new Forces book for V3 is Late War, or at least it should be if its actually a replacement for Fortress Europe, so it shouldn't effect Mid War at all. If you are playing Late War then you should be taking your List out of Grey Wolf, not Eastern Front.

Numlock fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Feb 20, 2012

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Numlock posted:

The new Forces book for V3 is Late War, or at least it should be if its actually a replacement for Fortress Europe, so it shouldn't effect Mid War at all. If you are playing Late War then you should be taking your List out of Grey Wolf, not Eastern Front.

My group ran three 1v1 games yesterday. The consensus was 'we can only play out of Grey Wolf and Red Bear since those are updated.' I said to hell with consensus and played Early War (Italians vs Germans out of Hellfire and Back). There was much wailing and gnashing of teeth (from everyone except me and my opponent) until I convinced them it doesn't matter if I and my opponent are fielding armies from the same book - we're only cheating ourselves.

The Early War game ran the smoothest (we actually played two games).

VVV It wasn't that bad, but people were really questioning our decision to play that way. I was just happy because I could finally play an Early War game, as most of the group only ever does Mid and Late.

CovfefeCatCafe fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Feb 20, 2012

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Sounds like you need a better group....

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

Urgh, those Shermans look amazing. I'm moving relatively soon and don't have a historical group so one of the factors for me in starting is picking a faction that'll work well for pick up games.

Should I focus on late war since most people love the biggest and best hardware? I'm thinking I'd like to do something paratroopy so early war Germans? I imagine there are German players everywhere, so maybe Finns or Free French or something? Can you even really play Free French?

I've played 40k for ages but I'd love to try some historical battles where it is more about trying to do your best with what you've got than an equal points buy type situation.

KSAF Staff Report
Dec 5, 2011

Numlock posted:

I did not realize this new book was late war only. So we're all set, awesome.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

As far as I know, Fortress Europe is still valid anyway. I've not seen anything that says the book is no longer usable, although you'll have to use the new special rules for your nation.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Karandras posted:

Should I focus on late war since most people love the biggest and best hardware?
It's easiest to get into.

Karandras posted:

I'm thinking I'd like to do something paratroopy so early war Germans?
Or late-war British, American or Polish (yes really).

Karandras posted:

I imagine there are German players everywhere,
Yep.

Karandras posted:

so maybe Finns or Free French or something?
Finns seem to be choice #1 for people not wanting to play a major power, so if you want to be totally unique play Brazil (yes really).

Karandras posted:

Can you even really play Free French
Yes.

Karandras posted:

I've played 40k for ages but I'd love to try some historical battles where it is more about trying to do your best with what you've got than an equal points buy type situation.
Flames of War might not be the game you're looking for then. There are others out there but other people know better than me about them.

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

Thanks a heap! Late war Polish sounds amazing. How do they even work, are their light infantry just super super cheap?

I'd probably play Free French if I wanted to try and be a bit more of a unique snowflake, if Finns are popular, whilst still having access to a nice variety of units.

FoW seems like a good middle step towards real historical games and popular enough and with models of an appropriate scale that I don't really lose a heap by jumping into it but thanks for the advise!

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Karandras posted:

Thanks a heap! Late war Polish sounds amazing. How do they even work, are their light infantry just super super cheap?

They're just British with some different special rules.

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

Devlan Mud posted:

They're just British with some different special rules.

Ah right, of course. I guess a 1st Armoured Division Polish list would be kinda fun.

Can you play a full on armoured list against a full infantry list and have it still work out? I've had a read through the rules and it seems like infantry can make a mess of vehicles if they get close enough but would an armoured list have many units that are just invulnerable unless your list is tailored to it? Again, this is mostly 40k experience speaking.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Karandras posted:

Ah right, of course. I guess a 1st Armoured Division Polish list would be kinda fun.

Can you play a full on armoured list against a full infantry list and have it still work out? I've had a read through the rules and it seems like infantry can make a mess of vehicles if they get close enough but would an armoured list have many units that are just invulnerable unless your list is tailored to it? Again, this is mostly 40k experience speaking.

As a general rule, infantry lists are inferior to armor lists because tanks are a better use of points than infantry except in certain circumstances, but infantry units have a lot of support options they can take since their core is dirt cheap(aside from battalion strength infantry). That being said, infantry will always defend against armor, and there are some tricks that the defenders have in the game. Also, almost every infantry company/battalion has access to armor anyway, so they're not that disadvantaged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

Thanks again! I'm just used to infantry armies against vehicles having their rifles being useless most of the times and just being extra bodies for heavy weapons.

I think a Free French armoured type army would be great and I could fit that in late war to be able to play against most opponents. Thanks a heap! Any general tips for a starter or a Free French player?