Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Javid posted:

Hopefully this is a software upgrade and not a Kindle4 feature or whatever.

Kindle4 announcement would be sweet though, with Nook2 announcement on Tuesday...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Hughlander posted:

Kindle4 announcement would be sweet though, with Nook2 announcement on Tuesday...

What's sweet is the prospect of cross book compatibility. You could buy a book from nearly any store and be able to use it on near any device. That really opens up the field for reader competition.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

I just assumed this was to allow library lending.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The Aphasian posted:

If that was the case, they wouldn't be asking book publishers to submit ePub to Amazon itself for its own store.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

bull3964 posted:

If that was the case, they wouldn't be asking book publishers to submit ePub to Amazon itself for its own store.

I mean the epub compatibility is for lending; the epub selling is to increase market share. I don't think they necessarily want to have their customers buy from B&N.

FidgetyRat
Feb 1, 2005

Contemplating the suckiness of people since 1982
If Amazon wasn't actually going to offer ePub books from their site, I could see this as a new feature for a new kindle device, but not allowing ePub on older kindles would cut out sales from amazon's store, something I doubt they would be willing to do.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

The Aphasian posted:

The strange thing was that the Overdrive announcement specifically mentioned that books would be in a "kindle format" with Whispersync enabled.

What would make Amazon do a complete 180? It doesn't make much sense considering that most of the people complaining for ePub support on the Kindle, don't actually own one.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 18:23 on May 19, 2011

Devi
Jan 15, 2006

CYCLOPS
WAS RIGHT

Sporadic posted:

The strange thing was that the Overdrive announcement specifically mentioned that books would be in a "kindle format" with Whispersync enabled.

What would make Amazon do a complete 180? It doesn't make much sense considering that most of the people complaining for ePub support on the Kindle, don't actually own one.

This is what's confusing me. It's like the people working with Overdrive and the ones working on the Kindle being able to read epubs are two totally different groups. If Kindle can handle epubs, then there's no need for Overdrive to have the mobi format. Maybe during the Overdrive stuff someone realized there was an easier way and it'd be a feature that users might really like, too.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Can someone remind me how we get these updates to the Kindle? I haven't updated my Kindle since I bought it (So I don't believe I have the page numbers update), but I'll want to do it for this.

It's a wifi only model.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Sporadic posted:

What would make Amazon do a complete 180 and allow people out of their closed system?

It could be since Amazon is planning on launching a line of Android tablets, Google might said to them something along the lines of "you don't get google apps unless you make it so that your stuff works with Google Books."

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Centipeed posted:

Can someone remind me how we get these updates to the Kindle? I haven't updated my Kindle since I bought it (So I don't believe I have the page numbers update), but I'll want to do it for this.

It's a wifi only model.

Turn the wireless on.

Menu -> Settings -> Menu -> Update Your Kindle

or

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/?nodeId=200529700#download

FidgetyRat
Feb 1, 2005

Contemplating the suckiness of people since 1982
And just as a note, there really haven't been many updates to the Kindle 3. The last one brought the page numbering.. So don't expect to check for updates and get them as often a Microsoft releases patches.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

The option to update my Kindle is greyed out. I definitely haven't updated it before - I'm guessing that the UK never got the update with page numbers?

My Kindle software version is 3.0.2.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

fishmech posted:

I think the only new features they've come out with that required a new device were text-to-speech on Kindle 2 (Kindle 1 simply can't handle the processing) and WiFi (The Kindle 1 and 2 and first DX simply don't have a wifi chipset to use).
No, but the way they do it is that they don't really give further updates to older devices. So Kindle 2 never got the page numbers update, for instance. If Kindle 4 got ePub, Kindle 3 might get it as one last update, or it might not.

OTOH, this strategy might change going forward if they have a lot of cheap Kindle 3's out there and don't want to annoy those owners who probably aren't going to upgrade easily. A $500 Kindle 1 owner can easily justify buying a Kindle 3 for $150, but a Kindle 3 owner probably won't do the same for a $150 Kindle 4.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Centipeed posted:

The option to update my Kindle is greyed out. I definitely haven't updated it before - I'm guessing that the UK never got the update with page numbers?

My Kindle software version is 3.0.2.

Are you on WiFi or 3G?

I don't think you can apply the update if you're on 3G.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=200529700

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Sporadic posted:

I guess if kindle supports epub then epub books will be in "kindle format"?

Epub support would be pretty cool, but personally I'm not going to buy a new Kindle just for it.

dont eat a carb
May 2, 2011

by T. Finn
ePub isn't Kindle 4 only, as amazon has said they will absolutely not 100% not release a new Kindle until E-Ink puts out a new generation of screen tech. The K3 uses E-Ink Pearl, and the K4 will use whatever comes after that, which is at least a year off. They don't want to add yet another piece of hardware that is just a slight touchup on the K3, they want something that will make all the K3 owners crave to upgrade (an even more awesome screen).

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Amazon HAS said though that they are going to release one, if not many, Android tablets before the end of the year. They may not give it a Kindle title, but it sounds like they are trying to make a competitor to the Nook color.

What better way to woo former Nook Color owners to the Amazon platform than saying "Hey, all your books you bought with B&N will work with our device too." Meanwhile, by selling ePubs, they are also telling all Nook and Sony owners "you guys can start buying your stuff here now and confidently switch over to our hardware at any time."

It a big, and good, play to squash their biggest competitor while simultaneously bringing people into the fold of the Amazon Android Application Store.

Doc Faustus
Sep 6, 2005

Philippe is such an angry eater
Unless I misunderstand this epub development... Everyone here seems to think it has to do with Amazon trying to sell more Kindles. That may be part of it, but it seems far more likely that by embracing epub and a standardized DRM format, Amazon would be opening their ebook store to every other ebook reader. Amazon's whole business model was build on selling books and movies to as many people as possible; why not extend that to ebooks and sell them to anyone, regardless of platform?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Doc Faustus posted:

Unless I misunderstand this epub development... Everyone here seems to think it has to do with Amazon trying to sell more Kindles. That may be part of it, but it seems far more likely that by embracing epub and a standardized DRM format, Amazon would be opening their ebook store to every other ebook reader. Amazon's whole business model was build on selling books and movies to as many people as possible; why not extend that to ebooks and sell them to anyone, regardless of platform?

The big issue with that is that it also works in reverse. They would also be opening other ebook stores up to Kindle owners with the acceptance of ePub (which I why I think it will never happen)

nostrata
Apr 27, 2007

Sporadic posted:

The big issue with that is that it also works in reverse. They would also be opening other ebook stores up to Kindle owners with the acceptance of ePub (which I why I think it will never happen)

Still, if there were an easy way to swap my nook library to kindle, without drm issues, I would probably try to sell my nook and get a kindle3. But this Tuesday announcement has got me excited. I kind of hope they do away with the lcd touchscreen for navigation on the new one. That feature never really did it for me.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I just got my Kindle today and it seems great so far. I'm using Calibre to manage my collection. I have the Series column turned on in Calibre, but it seems like this data doesn't appear anywhere on the Kindle, so when I sort by author on the Kindle, any books in a series are all over the place. Is there any way to include series information, or do I have to manually alter all the book titles to say something like "Series Name 1: Blah blah" "Series Name 2: Blah Blah again"?

Edit: Another question: What in the world determines sort order? My A Song of Ice and Fire, when loaded onto the Kindle, has the following order:
A Feast for Crows
A Storm of Swords
A Clash of Kings
A Game of Thrones

This isn't alphabetical and it's not by series number. I checked that the author fields all match, and they all have the correct title sort
(Feast for Crows, A etc.).
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Harriet Carker fucked around with this message at 08:18 on May 20, 2011

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

LamoTheKid posted:

Are you on WiFi or 3G?

I don't think you can apply the update if you're on 3G.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=200529700

Before I had tried the "Update my Kindle" option in settings, but the page you linked said to choose "Sync and check items", so I did that.

It said there were no items to sync, so I tried again, but then I checked the settings menu again and it's been updated to 3.1 - maybe it did it last time I turned on Wifi, or maybe the first sync did it and didn't tell me.

dont eat a carb
May 2, 2011

by T. Finn

dantheman650 posted:

I just got my Kindle today and it seems great so far. I'm using Calibre to manage my collection. I have the Series column turned on in Calibre, but it seems like this data doesn't appear anywhere on the Kindle, so when I sort by author on the Kindle, any books in a series are all over the place. Is there any way to include series information, or do I have to manually alter all the book titles to say something like "Series Name 1: Blah blah" "Series Name 2: Blah Blah again"?

Edit: Another question: What in the world determines sort order? My A Song of Ice and Fire, when loaded onto the Kindle, has the following order:
A Feast for Crows
A Storm of Swords
A Clash of Kings
A Game of Thrones

This isn't alphabetical and it's not by series number. I checked that the author fields all match, and they all have the correct title sort
(Feast for Crows, A etc.).
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Last accessed. Top of the list was the last book you opened, etc.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

I've taken to adding the series name and number to the title of the ebook.

For example:

Series Name 01 - Title of Book

While this means that sorting by title works fine now, my collections disappear because for some reason SHOWING collections is considered "sorting" by collections by the Kindle.

I've got one collection named "Read", which is where books I have finished get put, and if I sort by title that disappears.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
That's why I opted for a sony.

The kindle is awesome, but that collections stuff is just crazy. You'd think a book company that makes something to read books on would have it set where you can read things in whatever order you want. It's weird to me that sony nailed it, and kindle and nook are still lagging behind on that.

As soon as they "fix" it though, gonna grab a kindle :)

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Calibre has the option to automatically add the series name and number to the beginning, or a lot of other options not a lot of people mess with. It's kind of like Yahoo Pipes. Which is also something not a lot of people mess with.

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.
Is it forbidden to ask questions about Rooted Nook Colors here? Is there a better thread for that? Trying to decide what to get.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Doghouse posted:

Is it forbidden to ask questions about Rooted Nook Colors here? Is there a better thread for that? Trying to decide what to get.

The Rooted Android thread and the Tablet thread are both better places to ask about Nook Color stuff that isn't just reading books on the stock software.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Now that I read the comments that editor is writing on his own story, I think the ePub news is fake.

Seems like wishful thinking or a misunderstanding with his publisher contacts.

quote:

Yes, it seems that if Amazon does go pure ePub or allow ePubs to be sold side by side with its own format, it will allow people with other e-readers a chance to get some better deals with Amazoin, since the company is notorious for undercutting other stores.

----

It would make sense for Amazon to distribute books in the ePub format mainly due to the rise of Tablet Computers. Most ereading applications have the ability to read PDF and EPUB as their main formats and often Kindle is left to its own devices. If Amazon were to get in the business of physically selling ePub books alongside its own MOBI/AZW/PRC formats it could really dent Barnes and Noble, Kobo and Sony's businesses. I really doubt with all of the investment Amazon has made into the development of DRM for MOBI/AZW that they would simply stop. I see ePub as working in synergy with the Kindle and giving non-kindle owners the options to buy ePub books chea

----

Our impression when we talked to them was that Amazon was planning something big for ePUB books. In the past when publishers distributed ebooks they would convert it to ePub, MOBI and a bunch of others for the different online and offline publishers. Amazon said that they wanted them to only do ePub from now on because of something big they were planning.

------

Yeah I notice many different commonality factors between eBook formats and the music wars of the 90s and early 2000's when there was no common format. It goes back further to VHS and Beta, BluRay and HDDVD, Mp3, AAC and tons of others. The e-Reader world really needs an open standard, one format to be compatible with everything. For me, I find that being locked to a specific ecosystem is being too limiting when it comes to digital media and the growth potential of it.

------

One specific company when listing off formats they were distributing left off Amazon, when asked they said Amazon was coming out with Big news and they were no longer submitting books in Amazons own proprietary format and that they would only be using ePub because of changes to the Kindle and the store. This could be due to the Amazon/OverDrive deal with Lending books in Libraries soon though.

nummy
Feb 15, 2007
Eat a bowl of fuck.

Sporadic posted:

Now that I read the comments that editor is writing on his own story, I think the ePub news is fake.

Seems like wishful thinking or a misunderstanding with his publisher contacts.

I was just going to ask about this, since I saw that my library's ebook page shows the Kindle as a compatible device "Coming later this year!"

I'm all for ePub on the Kindle!

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

nummy posted:

I was just going to ask about this, since I saw that my library's ebook page shows the Kindle as a compatible device "Coming later this year!"

I'm all for ePub on the Kindle!

That part is true, it was announced last month. Whether it is ePub support or (more likely) the addition of mobi files hasn't been announced yet.

quote:

Today Amazon and OverDrive announced the Kindle Library Lending program, which will enable Kindle customers to borrow and enjoy eBooks from our library, school, and college partners in the United States. The program is scheduled for launch later this year, and will significantly increase the value of the investments that libraries have made in OverDrive-powered eBook catalogs.

Many of our partners will immediately receive inquiries about this new program, so here is a brief introduction into what can be expected when the program launches:

The Kindle Library Lending program will integrate into your existing OverDrive-powered ‘Virtual Branch’ website.

Your existing collection of downloadable eBooks will be available to Kindle customers. As you add new eBooks to your collection, those titles will also be available in Kindle format for lending to Kindle and Kindle reading apps. Your library will not need to purchase any additional units to have Kindle compatibility. This will work for your existing copies and units.

A user will be able to browse for titles on any desktop or mobile operating system, check out a title with a library card, and then select Kindle as the delivery destination. The borrowed title will then be able to be enjoyed using any Kindle device and all of Amazon’s free Kindle Reading Apps.

The Kindle eBook titles borrowed from a library will carry the same rules and policies as all our other eBooks.

The Kindle Library Lending program will support publishers’ existing lending models.

Your users’ confidential information will be protected.

The Kindle Library Lending program is only available for libraries, schools, and colleges in the United States.

We’re thrilled that our library, school, and college partners will be able to provide Kindle customers with access to eBooks from their digital collections. And we look forward to providing you with more information on the launch of the Kindle Library Lending program as it becomes available.

http://overdriveblogs.com/library/2011/04/20/kindle-library-lending-and-overdrive-what-it-means-for-libraries-and-schools/

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
Some people in the amazon forum were saying that self published people have been able to submit books in formats other than mobi for a while. Maybe Amazon is just willing to do the conversion themselves? I don't wanna get my hopes up just yet. :ohdear:

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Sperg Victorious posted:

Some people in the amazon forum were saying that self published people have been able to submit books in formats other than mobi for a while. Maybe Amazon is just willing to do the conversion themselves? I don't wanna get my hopes up just yet. :ohdear:

The way smashwords does it is that you submit your script in .doc or properly marked up html and the epub, mobi, lrf, etc files are automatically generated from that. There's no technical reason any store can't offer all formats.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
Another thing I was thinking about just now, since ebooks use the agency model, maybe there is little reason to try to fight the format war. If everyone is more or less forced to sell the an ebook at the same price, maybe its just better for amazon to just open up the flood gates and let everyone buy from them.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.

Sperg Victorious posted:

I submitted mine in epub and they converted it. They'll convert most formats though.

Asclepius
Mar 20, 2011

Centipeed posted:

I've taken to adding the series name and number to the title of the ebook.

For example:

Series Name 01 - Title of Book

While this means that sorting by title works fine now, my collections disappear because for some reason SHOWING collections is considered "sorting" by collections by the Kindle.

I've got one collection named "Read", which is where books I have finished get put, and if I sort by title that disappears.

Sorting by Title still shows your collections, it just takes the collection's name as the title. So your "Read" collection is being moved near the end.

The way I (and I think most other people) do it is by 'abusing' the alphabetisation of different characters. For instance, when you sort by title, it goes ( [ { then A-Z. I'm sure all other punctuation shows up before A-Z somewhere, as well, but I think the different brackets look best. So for my kindle, it's sorted by title, and I see:

(Currently reading)
(Not read)
(Read)
[Author name A]
[Author name Z]
{Series name A}
{Series name Z}

Maybe not the most elegant system, but it definitely works, and I quite like being able to have a single ebook in multiple collections, rather than in a single folder. I think the only thing the kindle really needs is series or publish date sorting. Maybe customisable sort fields.

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

Asclepius posted:

The way I (and I think most other people) do it is by 'abusing' the alphabetisation of different characters.

I can't speak for other people, but I just sort them into collections and let books order themselves however they want. Just like the real books on my shelves. It's not like I'm constantly switching between books, and if I really can't find something (has never happened) I can just do a quick search for it. I don't get anal filing system stuff like this at all.

Asclepius
Mar 20, 2011

Ara posted:

I can't speak for other people, but I just sort them into collections and let books order themselves however they want. Just like the real books on my shelves. It's not like I'm constantly switching between books, and if I really can't find something (has never happened) I can just do a quick search for it. I don't get anal filing system stuff like this at all.

Fair enough. I don't generally switch between books, either, but it makes it quicker to get into the book I am reading by having that be the very first collection.

The way I have it is how I'd have real books organised, as well. You make it seem like you chuck books on your shelves without regard to sorting them at all, even by author, which seems strange to me. That's essentially what I'm doing, the only differences are:

- All of an author's books are lumped into one list item, whereas on a shelf obviously they'd take up as much room as you had books by that author

- I have a collection for what I'm currently reading, which is analogous to keeping the book you're reading with you/on your bedside table/anywhere except your bookshelf

- I have collections to remind me what I have and haven't read, which isn't really a big issue, but if necessary I can glance at my unread collection to decide what to read next

- I have additional collections for series, since with real books you'd (generally) have them sorted by series within an author's section, which you can't do with the kindle

I don't see it as anal, it just seems to me like greater organisation is one of the assets ebooks have over physical books. Then again, I could just be deluding myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Asclepius posted:

Sorting by Title still shows your collections, it just takes the collection's name as the title. So your "Read" collection is being moved near the end.

I hadn't noticed this - thanks for pointing it out.

Although sorting by title DOES show the collection, it also puts the books in that collection into the main list as well, which is a bit pointless since my one collection is designed to hide the books I've finished reading.

Ara posted:

This is what I do as well - the lack of order doesn't really bother me, since it takes a month or so to read a book, finding new ones isn't done all that often.