Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

So what are the odds right now? 50/50 that Jon gets revived by Melisandre vs him coming back as an Other?

The more I think about it, the more I don't think he's dead for good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Jon's death didn't have much of an impact on me; I just figured he was gonna be res'd in the next book at some point. If he's actually dead, and not warged into Ghost or about to be res'd by Mel, I'll be really, really surprised.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

There is a 0% chance that Jon Snow will never be heard from again in the series. Even GRRM in an interview with EW Weekly was like, "oh, you think he's dead?" Plus it's so obvious from a literary standpoint.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I like Zelazny but some of his writing conventions are cringe-worthy. There's a scene in the first book where Corwin meets some lady or other and there's this long description of her "marble-white thighs like pillars" that's just so poorly executed that I began laughing my head off halfway through it.

It's really hard for me to keep reading a book when I can't take the serious scenes seriously. :shobon: GRRM has his flaws as a writer, but at the least I never laughed during scenes like the Red Wedding or executions or the Red Viper vs. the Mountain.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Alekanderu posted:

Zelazny definitely wrote better, technically speaking, but GRRM is better in other areas.

Zelazny's characterisation was pitiful. Every major character spoke in the same fashion. Conrad spoke like Sam who spoke like Yamma who spoke like...

I love Zelazny and Lord of Light was one of the most fun novels I have ever read, but let's not overstate his virtues.

Alekanderu
Aug 27, 2003

Med plutonium tvingar vi dansken på knä.

Neurosis posted:

Zelazny's characterisation was pitiful. Every major character spoke in the same fashion. Conrad spoke like Sam who spoke like Yamma who spoke like...

I love Zelazny and Lord of Light was one of the most fun novels I have ever read, but let's not overstate his virtues.

Exactly. Sam in Lord of Light and Corwin in the Amber series, while great protagonists as such, are more or less the exact same character.
GRRM is a lot better at characterization and world-building, but Zelazny had much more elegant prose.

Royality
Jun 27, 2006

Brannock posted:

It's really hard for me to keep reading a book when I can't take the serious scenes seriously. :shobon: GRRM has his flaws as a writer, but at the least I never laughed during scenes like the Red Wedding or executions or the Red Viper vs. the Mountain.

During the prologue in ADWD I was close to throwing up though. Descriptions of some bloke warging into a female wolf and being hosed was, in my humble opinion, not a good opening.

And the constant Targ 'You do not want to Awaken the Dragon!' poo poo is pretty cringeworthy and laughable.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Heteronormativity, nice.

I thought the "Do not awaken the dragon" thing, since it was so obviously ridiculous, was meant to show how out of touch the Targaryens are and how little self-analysis they have.

Mr.Brinks
Apr 24, 2005
Welly, well. To what do I owe the extreme pleasure of this surprising?

Royality posted:

During the prologue in ADWD I was close to throwing up though. Descriptions of some bloke warging into a female wolf and being hosed was, in my humble opinion, not a good opening.

And the constant Targ 'You do not want to Awaken the Dragon!' poo poo is pretty cringeworthy and laughable.

Wow you actually read that? What a loving furry.

My friend put forth the idea that GRRM masturbates to every sex scene he writes and now I cannot shake that idea and felt incredible sceeved out the whole book.

Limp Wristed Limey
Sep 7, 2010

by Lowtax
Maybe the daggers were like theatrical ones. Jon will suddenly realise and they will all have a good laugh.

Mr Crustacean
May 13, 2009

one (1) robosexual

Jon is absolutely not dead, he has 3 get out clauses in the form of Ghost warging, Melisandre rezzing him or absorbing the 'otherness'.

Ecco the Dolphin
Aug 7, 2004

bloop bloop
There is also the possibility that he'll just regular-survive the stabbings. I don't think anyone's mentioned that, ironically.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Alekanderu posted:

Exactly. Sam in Lord of Light and Corwin in the Amber series, while great protagonists as such, are more or less the exact same character.
GRRM is a lot better at characterization and world-building, but Zelazny had much more elegant prose.

Ah kk, didn't know how far you extended Zelazny's flaws. :) I did feel that the eponymous Jack from Jack of Shadows was a little bit better in this regard, since he seemed to move from actively avaricious to listless, which was nice for Zelazny.

Also Creatures of Light and Darkness needs to be reprinted, God drat it, I haven't been able to read it since I moved away from my library which had an ancient and decaying copy.

But enough divergence, time to return to the GRRM.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Neurosis posted:

Ah kk, didn't know how far you extended Zelazny's flaws. :) I did feel that the eponymous Jack from Jack of Shadows was a little bit better in this regard, since he seemed to move from actively avaricious to listless, which was nice for Zelazny.

Also Creatures of Light and Darkness needs to be reprinted, God drat it, I haven't been able to read it since I moved away from my library which had an ancient and decaying copy.

But enough divergence, time to return to the GRRM.

http://www.amazon.com/Creatures-Light-Darkness-Roger-Zelazny/dp/0061936456/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1312138429&sr=8-1

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

poo poo, last time I checked it was just a ton of bad quality used copies. Cheers.

Cryle
Jul 19, 2008

by Ozmaugh

Caufman posted:

Hold up, is there any evidence that Dany really is barren aside from Mrri Maz Dur's words?

Probably has something to do with her not having flow for like a year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Premature_ovarian_failure

elron
Jan 13, 2002

Mmm... monkeys

Rosscifer posted:

Sword obviously. Need to be spoonfed anything else?

Mr Crustacean posted:

It was probably 'sword' and she accepted ZombieCat's demands.
Why do people seem so certain she said sword? (and do I get bonus points for alliteration?) I mean, it's as likely as any other word -- maybe even a little more so -- but what is the evidence for it over, say, "please", "mercy", or "fuuuuuuuck"?

elron fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jul 31, 2011

Mr Crustacean
May 13, 2009

one (1) robosexual

If I recall, Brienne was given a choice between the sword or the noose or something like that by ZombieCat.

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

I thought maybe Brienne got killed then turned into a zombie or something. There was something off about that entire thing.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

HeroOfTheRevolution posted:

I thought maybe Brienne got killed then turned into a zombie or something. There was something off about that entire thing.
Perhaps Brienne got killed and then Zombie Cat Zombie Life Transferred to her? Jaime did mention she looked "ten years older" or something.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

JT Jag posted:

Perhaps Brienne got killed and then Zombie Cat Zombie Life Transferred to her? Jaime did mention she looked "ten years older" or something.

Maybe it was a glimmer from Thoros of Myr.

In between those and Faceless Men, we can never be sure anymore if a character is really a character, unless they are in their POV.

But at least Faceless Men only seem to be able to take the faces of death people. At least the "Ned got switched for a FM and survived" theory is down the drain with that one.

Mr.Brinks
Apr 24, 2005
Welly, well. To what do I owe the extreme pleasure of this surprising?

OperaMouse posted:

At least the "Ned got switched for a FM and survived" theory is down the drain with that one.

Thank God for that.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Cryle posted:

Probably has something to do with her not having flow for like a year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Premature_ovarian_failure

But she's had a period within a year: "She tried to remember the last time she had bled. The last full moon? The one before? The one before that? No, it cannot have been so long as that."

I'm trying to think if there was a point in ACOK or ASOS where Dany said she was not menstruating anymore.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
So Dany aborted Daario's baby. That should make quite a few readers happy.

KillRoy
Dec 28, 2004
I many not go down in history but I'll go down on you sister.
I hope Pod is ok.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

KillRoy posted:

I hope Pod is ok.

At least someone in this thread is a decent guy. :smith:

Mr Crustacean
May 13, 2009

one (1) robosexual

Neurosis posted:

At least someone in this thread is a decent guy. :smith:

Hey, I never forgot about Pod :unsmith:

Iggles
Nov 24, 2004

By Jove! Commoners!

JT Jag posted:

Brienne's been beaten, eaten and hanged. I think she'd look a bit worse for wear without necessarily being a zombie.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

Iggles posted:

Brienne's been beaten, eaten and hanged. I think she'd look a bit worse for wear without necessarily being a zombie.

I've totally forgotten about this, when did someone try to eat her?

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Biter bit her.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

Royality posted:

Between Dany making GBS threads and miscarrying all over herself in the dirt and Tyrion nearly vomiting into a hooker's vagina, Varymyr getting his dogfuck on was one of the less barfy things in the book.

Maytag
Nov 4, 2006

it's enough that it all be filled with that majestic sadness that is the pleasure of tragedy.

hailthefish posted:

At what point did I say it was impossible?

Would you like some more, ~legitimate~ sources to explain how wrong this is, because Wikipedia isn't ~good enough~ to explain why this is dumb?

~~``**Well one guy said "It's possible because the women in my family have had periods while pregnant" and you're all "OH don't be TOO SURE because of Wikipedia" and none of that conversation had anything to do with whether or not Dany is pregnant.++``~~ I'll rephrase that too: He said it's possible because sometimes women have periods and you said it's not possible because of Wikipedia.

I agree it's extremely unlikely she is.

Ecco the Dolphin posted:

There is also the possibility that he'll just regular-survive the stabbings. I don't think anyone's mentioned that, ironically.

This is what I think and I was gonna say it but then I got all distracted and uptight about moon blood.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Nah, was more like "Don't be too sure, because that's kinda not how it's supposed to work, here's pretty much the first google result since you're too bloody lazy to look", but you can continue to be a hypersensitive twat about being wrong if you want.

Also, yeah, there's no way Jon's staying dead. Whether through Mel or through warging or through surviving, there's just no way. Brienne had a similar end-of-book cliffhanger and then reappeared without another word, and Jon's way more integral to the narrative and has way more outs, so I would be very, very amazed if he stays 'dead' much longer than the prologue.

When I started reading the series I enjoyed it because characters stayed dead and everyone had deeper motivations that they were acting on. Now characters get killed off and evade any lasting death and their supposed motivations have changed course to the point I'm wondering if there actually are deeper motivations and an actual plot or if it's just on the road toward Wheel of Time bullshit.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I can't think of a single word that would say "okay hang me but then hang yourself because you took an oath not to ask me to do any service that would bring me into dishonor and also to not stand inbetween me and stannis and you're doing both right now asking me to be an assassin and hanging me, respectively" but that's clearly not what she said since she's kidnapped jaime

hellbastard
Apr 4, 2006

I wonder if Tyrion will get to the fireworks factory in the next book.

Unoriginal Name posted:

The majority of people who have spoken about skipping did so because they wanted to skip Dany's chapters because they are boring, awfully written trash.

Also, while Martin is clearly the second coming of Joyce for the fantasy genre, criticizing him for repeating his selfmade phrases is perfectly valid. Authors have writing styles and sometimes, just sometimes, they have bad habits that make for lovely writing. Dean "Talking Dog" Koontz, Stephen "Magical Retard" King, and George "Dramatic Cliffhanger" Martin all deserve to be called out on their flaws.

I think you mean Stephen "Ancient Indian Burial Ground" King. :colbert:

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
Its possible that people skip the Dany chapters because they find them to be horribly written and/or boring. But I guess those opinions don't count unless they actually read said chapters, and when they turn out to be indeed boring, then that opinion is also invalid for some reason?

I don't skip and enjoyed the book but if an entire plotline cannot keep a reader's attention enough for them to even be bothered to read it, the author has failed as a writer, at least for a subset of readers. I'd say thats a valid point of view.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
GRRM may have some problems, but no other author could make me cheer for a fat cannibal feeding other people their relatives.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

bigmcgaffney posted:

Its possible that people skip the Dany chapters because they find them to be horribly written and/or boring. But I guess those opinions don't count unless they actually read said chapters, and when they turn out to be indeed boring, then that opinion is also invalid for some reason?

I don't skip and enjoyed the book but if an entire plotline cannot keep a reader's attention enough for them to even be bothered to read it, the author has failed as a writer, at least for a subset of readers. I'd say thats a valid point of view.

I don't think he writes these books to please everyone. In fact, that's the worst thing you could do as a writer.

But yes, you need to read every chapter or your opinion holds no weight. That's like watching half of a movie, declaring it boring, then drawing your own conclusions as to its other half in terms of entertainment/quality.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!

Sir_Vondruke_IV posted:

GRRM may have some problems, but no other author could make me cheer for a fat cannibal feeding other people their relatives.

Wow, now that you write it that way I just realized the similarity between that and the Scott Tenorman South Park episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theghostpt
Sep 1, 2009
Just finished reading through this, so just some points:

- Jon "death" didn't really felt like it, I'm expecting him to recover someway, it just didn't felt as dramatic as the other major deaths, yeah he got betrayed but I was kinda expecting it, and that _I'm marching south speech_ kinda gave it away for me. I enjoyed them a lot though, they have a lot of good moments.
- Tyrion first chapters were mostly boring (pages and pages of food descriptions), and I hope they just kill that drat Penny, that gimmick got boring really fast.
- I'm tired of Dany chapters, could she please just pack her things and fly to westeros or whatever ? It would be good if the first chapters of the next book would be of Meereen getting razed to the ground (Barristan can escape and get back to Westeros being awesome).
- I have mixed feelings towards Aegon, but whatever comes out of it at least he is in Westeros and some action might actually be seen near the King's Landing.

I also actually enjoyed some Davos chapters, that might have been a first....

As final notes I hope GRRM gives some purpose to Arya, I really liker her POV but she really should get a goal by now, I bought the English version of the book (I'm not native) and the writing was really pleasant, i had no problems reading through it and it felt fluid to me.

Overall comparing with the other 5 books I'll have to say this one is around the quality of ACOK, but still very far away from ASOS.

Let's hope he doesn't take 5 or 6 more years to release another book.