Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SilentD
Aug 22, 2012

by toby

Sephyr posted:

What is the alternative, though? Conceal any crime in which more than one person dies? Send spree killings down the memory hole? "What are you talking about, Timmy? Those ten desks in your classroom have always been empty and our teacher has always been Mrs. Doppelganger!"

Terror attacks and ghastly violent acts get exceptional coverage because they -are- exceptional. Will that fascinate the broken and desperate to an unhealthy degree? Yes, but so will a whole lot of things.

I'm not saying we should hide criminal acts at all or pretend that this sort of thing doesn't happen. It does, the public has a right to know, and without proper media coverage we can't have a debate on it. However the current 24/7 new media that exists and the constant circus with it is a mess, and this problem is not just in the attention given to the inane ramblings of mass killers and plastering them all over the TV, along with periodic interviews in the years that follow. There's a lot that is wrong with our media, the handling of crazy shooters is just part of it.

Hell, the fact that Alex Jones manages to get on CNN of all places should give you an idea that the media is giving crazies too much time on the TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

SilentD posted:

Hell, the fact that Alex Jones manages to get on CNN of all places should give you an idea that the media is giving crazies too much time on the TV.

I disagree. Crazy people have political influence in our government today. The country needs to know that.

turnip kid
May 24, 2010
Glenn Beck spent an hour this morning trashing Alex Jones. I think he's jealous.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Fat Guy Sexting posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8rMYyegT5Y Is a summation of the argument.

Saturated media coverage makes spree killers infamous, which is one of the reasons they do it.

Lead on it as a sombre story, don't name the killer, don't make it a media circus, don't interview children at the scene. Obviously in the local area it will be a huge and catastrophic event, but the less international it becomes the less somebody is tempted to outgun the Aurora shooter so they get more coverage.

Not saying some loon hasn't done that, but the reults argue agaisnt it. The militia movement didn't boom after Timothy McVeigh got coverage with the OKC bombing: it was reviled and withered with amazing speed. Same goes for the manifesto-writing loon who shot up the Holocaust museum, the guy who flew a small plane into the IRS office (this one was actually forgotten quite quickly, but I think it may have been in the same week Michael Jackson died).

Do they get their face on TV a lot? Yes? They are also forever attached to wrongness, evil and madness. Not really the right venue if you want exposure to salve your starving self-esteem.

And yes, coverage could be less extreme. No argument there. But there's the internet and public interest, so names and details would leak very fast. Not to mention that people's speculation can be even more wild and extreme than the killers tehmselves. Can you imagine how many people would be theorizing how Muslim, jewish, nazi or Black Panther the Sandy Creek killer was if his real identity was not disclosed?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Ray and Shirley posted:

I can flatly deny the idea that media coverage motivates the average viewer to take up a gun and mass murder because they want fame or a platform to speak.

Unless you're a psychiatrist (preferably some kind of researcher) your denials have no bearing on whether there actually is a social component to mass shootings.

quote:

Loren Coleman, author of “The Copycat Effect” and a behavioral expert who has consulted on school violence for Maine state schools, argues that the recommendations prevention experts give regarding press-driven suicide contagion should apply to these types of murder-suicides as well. “Back in the ‘suicide days,’ if you put the method in the newspaper, the next series of suicide clusters exactly repeated the method,” he says. Now with mass shootings, too, he says, “we’re even having the copycat down to the type of gun.”

The American Psychiatric Association agreed with Steele and Coleman in 2007 when, after the shootings at Virginia Tech, it distributed a letter calling on news organizations to stop disseminating the murderer’s self-made promo materials. Such publicity “not only seems insensitive to the grieving and traumatized families, friends and peers of those murdered and injured, but also seriously jeopardizes the public’s safety by potentially inciting ‘copycat’ suicides, homicides and other incidents,” read the statement. The APA cited a World Health Organization Report, saying the “scientific evidence in this area is clear.” The APA also suggested that the assailant may have taken inspiration from “the Columbine tragedy.”
http://www.salon.com/2012/12/29/do_media_vultures_perpetuate_mass_shootings/

"Average viewers" are facially irrelevant, otherwise it would be impossible to go to the store because of all the mass shootings. The idea is that people who want attention or to commit suicide tend to do it in ways that they're recently seen garner strong media attention, it's functionally the same as a suicide cluster. While I'm not saying school shootings need to be an unevent, the hours of interviews with the surviving kids and the biopics about the shooters only feed into that.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

lil mortimer posted:

Glenn Beck spent an hour this morning trashing Alex Jones. I think he's jealous.

Not surprising. Alex Jones has constantly trashed Beck, in many cases for supposedly not being "genuine".

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

Paul MaudDib posted:

Unless you're a psychiatrist (preferably some kind of researcher) your denials have no bearing on whether there actually is a social component to mass shootings.

If everyone had to be a professional for D&D to function then this place would be a ghost town. What any of us say in this forum has no bearing on anything.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Sephyr posted:

Do they get their face on TV a lot? Yes? They are also forever attached to wrongness, evil and madness. Not really the right venue if you want exposure to salve your starving self-esteem.

They don't care though? I'd put good money on Anders Brevik being the most recognisable Norwegian on the planet right now, which is exactly what he wanted. It's attention in a worldwide, 24/7 storm of media, positive or negative doesn't matter.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Business Gorillas posted:

Isn't openly threatening an armed revolt kind of illegal?

Not if you're just some idiot making non-credible threats. You're allowed to be crazy.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Crossposting from "Republicans Rebuilding":

Are there any documentaries out yet ala "Right wing america feeling wronged" on the romney/obama election? Or a sign of one being made? I feel like this election was even sweeter for that kind of vehicle because back than the anti-obama rhetoric was mostly "We dont know who he is/What if terrorism"? With just a hint of the "Non-american commie bastard" that developed over his first term.

Months on and the schadenfreude is just as powerful for me as it was in november, i wonder if it will ever stop?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

lil mortimer posted:

There can be only one.

edit

Oh god, the coverage on PrisonPlanet and InfoWars is amazing.

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jan 8, 2013

kik2dagroin
Mar 23, 2007

Use the anger. Use it.
Wow, right now Rush is railing against Al-Jazeera's acquisition of Current, saying that it was bought with oil money. Not a mention of Prince Al-Waleed bin Talal owning shares in News Corp though, nope. From there he went on a rant about environmentalist wackos, touching on the tyranny of having to buy LED lightbulbs, and then claiming that global warming is a hoax. Al Gore is now an almost billionaire because of the travesty of acknowledging that oil on Earth is a finite resource, and the dumping of tonnes of CO2 into the atmosphere might cause a change in the global climate. The end of the segment ended with him blurting out "Projection of a hoax!" :irony:

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Sir Tonk posted:

There can be only one.

edit

:wtc: How is Alex Jones not a comedian?

Thunderchops
May 27, 2005
Both how I'm livin' and my nose is large.

Crasscrab posted:

:wtc: How is Alex Jones not a comedian?

:tinfoil:Maybe he is.:tinfoil:

Thunderchops fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jan 8, 2013

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Ray and Shirley posted:

They do it because they're ill. Not because they're normal people who think they've found their "in" on fame.

I can flatly deny the idea that media coverage motivates the average viewer to take up a gun and mass murder because they want fame or a platform to speak.

And I can flatly say that it's really loving ignorant to think the media circus around mass shootings does nothing to encourage future mass shootings. What do you think drives people to do these things? A sense of powerlessness and unimportance. How do you feel powerful and important at the same time?

Like it's been how many years since Columbine? Over a decade and I bet you can still name the shooters. I still can and I'm terrible with names and haven't seen a direct news story on it probably since it happened. I've sure seen a lot of documentaries and other media that mentions them, though. Over and over and over again.

What the media should do is publicize the names of the victims (with family permission) over and over again. Make the victims famous, not the perpetrators of the crime.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

kik2dagroin posted:

the tyranny of having to buy LED lightbulbs

Indeed. Oh the humanity.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Sir Tonk posted:

Indeed. Oh the humanity.

Each LED lightbulb is 100,000 hours of tyranny.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
God, that Alex Jones interview was insufferable. The guy just yells and rants. It takes a special kind of rear end in a top hat to make Piers Morgan sympathetic.

Jesus Christ.

"Alex...Alex...Let me...can I ask you...Alex..."

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

mr. mephistopheles posted:

What do you think drives people to do these things? A sense of powerlessness and unimportance. How do you feel powerful and important at the same time?

Can you say with certainty that this was the motive for all recent mass shootings?

Or, gently caress recent, I'll settle for the majority.

Tercio fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jan 8, 2013

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
Hey, remember how Glenn Beck accused us (after the Benghazi thing) of being a front for the CIA and funded by George Soros? Along with how he and others in the right wing media constantly accuse others of being 'funded by George Soros'?

Well, turns out the former morning zoo shock jock is getting his opinions bought off in a political punditry version of radio DJ payola - specifically to say 'nice things' on his radio show about the astroturf political arm of the tea party, Freedomworks - to the tune of one million dollars.

Not really surprising given the gold scam he and other conservative radio show hosts were involved in. But yeah - big surprise; Glenn Beck is a charlatan who is only in it for the money.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6_Dq_H1hA4

Oh, and Rush Limbaugh is getting bought off to say 'nice things' about freedomworks too.

More details here: http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2012/12/freedomworks-rich-donors-armey-kibbe-super-pac

Also we now know who the donors to freedomworks are, thanks to leaked internal documents. Surprise surprise; it's mostly rich billionaire shitheads.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jan 8, 2013

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

God, that Alex Jones interview was insufferable. The guy just yells and rants. It takes a special kind of rear end in a top hat to make Piers Morgan sympathetic.

Jesus Christ.

Jones only has one mode: crazy.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

BiggerBoat posted:

Jesus Christ.

I just saw the video finally. The first minute wasn't so bad, but then, holy poo poo...

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sir Tonk posted:

There can be only one.

edit

Holy poo poo, this is the best thing ever. Is this supposed to be funny, or is this unintentional? I straight up cannot tell.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Ray and Shirley posted:

Can you say with certainty that this was the motive for all recent mass shootings?

Or, gently caress recent, I'll settle for the majority.

Can you say with certainty that it had no impact and that these people wouldn't have committed mass shootings if it didn't mean being noticed? A lot of people feel depressed and weak. Some of those people kill themselves, and some of those people kill as many people as they can before killing themselves. What do you think is the primary determining factor between the two? Are some people just more homicidal than others or does the idea of having your name immortalized when you feel like nobody acknowledges your existence offer some appeal to people in this situation?

You're never going to prove it one way or the other since mass shooters tend to kill themselves or allow themselves to be gunned down without surrendering, but I really don't get how you're having such a hard time seeing that the promise of notoriety could be a contributing factor in choosing to commit mass murder instead of just quietly killing themselves at home. Am I saying it is definitively a factor in all mass shootings? No, of course not, but it's a feasible explanation. Your explanation is "some people are just crazy and it can't be explained" which is myopic and ignores the fact that mass shootings have become more rampant in the last decade. Is the world becoming shittier or is there some other factor (mass media reportage) contributing?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

SilentD posted:

Like any good conspiracy though not all of these are crazy, some of them are grounded in reality. Some of these are things to be concerned about when they don't come from Alex Jones. Let's start.

That's the thing behind Alex Jones, or really any ultimately successful cult-leading lunatic. Its taking something with just enough "truth" behind it that you can attach whatever bullshit you feel like. I mean, even his "legitimate" concerns are blown wildly out of proportion.

There is some danger to psychotic medication, but a lot of people are helped by them. In fact, the suicide/improved quality of life ratio is so extreme the suicide factor becomes almost statistically irrelevant. Maybe some more control or less advertising influence should be asserted, but to call anti-depressants "suicide pills" is both scientifically and socially inaccurate. Same thing with a police state, there are legitimate concerns about privacy violations in the US, but cameras on the side of buildings are as far from the Nazi party as talking about politics in a beer hall.

I would say what Jones does, if anything, is say things that are "true" but not necessarily things that are accurate.

ignores the fact that mass shootings have become more rampant in the last decade. Is the world becoming shittier or is there some other factor (mass media reportage) contributing?

I don't think it can be safely conformed to that binary. Mass shootings may be increasing (not even sure if this is accurate honestly), but also the sociological realities that allow "mass shootings" to occur are also increasing.

A "mass shooting" as the media defines it is almost exclusively an object of a comfortable 1st world existence. Its a cultural "idea" not an event with historical precedence.

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jan 8, 2013

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

BiggerBoat posted:

Jesus Christ.

Seriously. The first thought that went through my head was that there is no way I want that lunatic near a gun and that all guns should be banned if an insane, mentally deranged, rage filled nutso like him can get his hands on weapons. Ranting about revolutions and whatever ridiculous poo poo.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Gatts posted:

Seriously. The first thought that went through my head was that there is no way I want that lunatic near a gun and that all guns should be banned if an insane, mentally deranged, rage filled nutso like him can get his hands on weapons. Ranting about revolutions and whatever ridiculous poo poo.

This is the framing they were going for. The guy they had on right afterwards was saying exactly this.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Gatts posted:

I liked the suggestion that him and Piers have a boxing match because hell my money would be on the 6'1" healthy guy versus the 5'8" fat dude..

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

McDowell posted:

This is the framing they were going for. The guy they had on right afterwards was saying exactly this.

Yeah, it was a bit obvious. I may disagree with tons of his opinions, but at least Penn Jilette would have been there for an actual conversation and not a circus "poke at the freak and see it screech" show. Which is likely why he wasn't invited.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Sephyr posted:

but at least Penn Jilette would have been there for an actual conversation and not a circus "poke at the freak and see it screech" show. Which is likely why he wasn't invited.

Yeah, but watching two ignorant blowhards pretend to be debating is less entertaining than ignorant blowhard vs. lunatic

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Spacedad posted:

Hey, remember how Glenn Beck accused us (after the Benghazi thing) of being a front for the CIA and funded by George Soros? Along with how he and others in the right wing media constantly accuse others of being 'funded by George Soros'?

Well, turns out the former morning zoo shock jock is getting his opinions bought off in a political punditry version of radio DJ payola - specifically to say 'nice things' on his radio show about the astroturf political arm of the tea party, Freedomworks - to the tune of one million dollars.

Not really surprising given the gold scam he and other conservative radio show hosts were involved in. But yeah - big surprise; Glenn Beck is a charlatan who is only in it for the money.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6_Dq_H1hA4

Oh, and Rush Limbaugh is getting bought off to say 'nice things' about freedomworks too.

More details here: http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2012/12/freedomworks-rich-donors-armey-kibbe-super-pac

Also we now know who the donors to freedomworks are, thanks to leaked internal documents. Surprise surprise; it's mostly rich billionaire shitheads.

How is this not exactly the same as, and therefore not exactly as illegal as music radio payola?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

ReidRansom posted:

How is this not exactly the same as, and therefore not exactly as illegal as music radio payola?

Payola is hiding that track playback is being done for money. And playback of tracks in "normal airtime" as opposed to "sponsored airtime" can lead to unfair competition for music which is the main reason it's barred.

The same thing doesn't apply to political speech or pushing gold or whatever. Being as those are blatant advertising it's not the same thing.

Incidentally, wanting to avoid prosecution for payola violations is the largest reason why big radio owners will use uniform playlists and the like now instead of allowing local talent to pick and choose tracks throughout the programming day.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Install Gentoo posted:

Payola is hiding that track playback is being done for money. And playback of tracks in "normal airtime" as opposed to "sponsored airtime" can lead to unfair competition for music which is the main reason it's barred.

The same thing doesn't apply to political speech or pushing gold or whatever. Being as those are blatant advertising it's not the same thing.

Incidentally, wanting to avoid prosecution for payola violations is the largest reason why big radio owners will use uniform playlists and the like now instead of allowing local talent to pick and choose tracks throughout the programming day.

I fail to see a meaningful distinction. When you hear Rush or Beck shilling for Heritage Foundation or Goldline or whatever, it's during commercial segments and is marked by clear breaks in the programming. That article seems to indicate (and I seem to recall based on my own listening experiences) that Freedomworks was paying to be talked up during the course of the shows' normal dialog, disguising its commercial nature.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

ReidRansom posted:

I fail to see a meaningful distinction.

The music and broadcasting industries agreed to allow payola to be made illegal because it was bad for business. When Label A was paying to trump up their songs' airtime it was at the expense and potential lost of income of Labels B-Z. Who's losing money when Freedomworks and gold are being promoted? No one.

The "payola" laws are very strictly defined to only apply to music on the radio. They didn't even apply to say MTV when MTV was still mostly music or anything.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

It's also a really pretty tropical island? Not everybody is going there to bone underage prostitutes or whatever.

(Rush totally was, though)

They go there to bone underage prostitutes.

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

Your explanation is "some people are just crazy and it can't be explained" which is myopic and ignores the fact that mass shootings have become more rampant in the last decade.

Half right. My explanation is "some people are crazy." Period. Note that this is not me saying it's all some big mystery. Also note that I've never said media hype contributes nothing to this issue. I would point the finger for mass killings at a general disregard for public mental health than I would media hype. If media hype contributes (and it does) it's the egg to the mental illness chicken.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Ray and Shirley posted:

Half right. My explanation is "some people are crazy." Period. Note that this is not me saying it's all some big mystery. Also note that I've never said media hype contributes nothing to this issue. I would point the finger for mass killings at a general disregard for public mental health than I would media hype. If media hype contributes (and it does) it's the egg to the mental illness chicken.

I am also reluctant to blame the media for the whole narrative either. There is something genuinely fascinating, if just on a sociological level, about these kinds of people. I know the second thought I had about Sandy Hook, after "Jesus Christ!" was "What kind of person does that?" There is an inherent curiosity about wanting to know what makes someone capable of unthinkable violence "tick".

Lemonus
Apr 25, 2005

Return dignity to the art of loafing.
Ok so this piece of garbage from the Washington Times...

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/jan/6/obama-supporters-shocked-angry-new-tax-increases/?page=all#pagebreak

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Now vote Republican so we can get rid of your minimum wage!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Yes, I too remember the GOP tirelessly fighting Obama to permanently extend the 2011 payroll tax cut.

What disingenuous drivel.