Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Hmm strange, I played GTA IV just 2 months ago and I could just skip the Social Club step.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

And now it is suddenly working! I won't question why and just be glad it is, though it isn't locating any of my old retail disc savegames. I really haven't got a clue what the point of GFWL (or Social Club for that matter) is if they can't (or deliberately won't?) even recognize savegames, but at least the game actually runs.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

Jerusalem posted:

And now it is suddenly working! I won't question why and just be glad it is, though it isn't locating any of my old retail disc savegames. I really haven't got a clue what the point of GFWL (or Social Club for that matter) is if they can't (or deliberately won't?) even recognize savegames, but at least the game actually runs.
GFWL saves are encrypted and the key changes every time you reinstall Windows unless you copy it over manually, because gamerscore.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009

Palpek posted:

Oh hey Eidolon looks pretty cool:

Is it? Has anybody tried it?

I've tried it very briefly. I don't know. It's kinda cool but also really simplistic. There are some survival mechanics that are very simple in place. I would've loved it if they had made it just a bit more in-depth and difficult. But maybe I'm not the target audience for this.

You walk around, collect things, fish things, occasionally shoot things with your bow and arrow and find messages from people who were there "before the end" so to speak. The game is strangely beautiful. The graphics tend to look really nice when you're looking at stuff from a vast distance especially.

But yeah, you don't actually *do* much. Just walk around and try to find things basically. The interaction is really minimal.

I'm gonna play it some more since it's way too early to evaluate for me but I think the price-tag is a bit steep considering how little there actually is to *do* in the game. But it's also kinda peaceful and nice to wander around.

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...
:woop: Steambux are buy one, get one 25% off at Target this week. :woop:

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Jerusalem posted:

GFWL just makes you scream in rage because of how much it sucks.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
So I'm playing DR2: Off the Record and ummm ... it's my first DR game but I'm gonna be a real negative nancy and say ...

-drat there are timers for everything in story mode and it game overs me for the timer running out?
-Can I not combo things I don't have the card for or do I just need to find a list online or something?
-gently caress the LS waggle when you get grabbed, I hate that loving poo poo
-I actually hate that there is no autosave for this game
-NPCs are dumb as hell (okay, that's more of just a thing in all of video games)
-What can and can't I unlock in sandbox mode because if I have to unlock combinations by leveling up then I don't know if I can do it.

I just want to loving a wade into a horde of zombies and murder them. I feel like there's too much poo poo that's tacked on and I don't know if I really enjoy how the game controls either.

Cable
Dec 20, 2005

it'll come like a wind.
Is Europa Universalis 4 more accessible than CKII? I want to like these games because I love Civ5 and I know it takes some time until you understand them, but drat CKII is so complex.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Sober posted:

So I'm playing DR2: Off the Record and ummm ... it's my first DR game but I'm gonna be a real negative nancy and say ...

-drat there are timers for everything in story mode and it game overs me for the timer running out?
-Can I not combo things I don't have the card for or do I just need to find a list online or something?
-gently caress the LS waggle when you get grabbed, I hate that loving poo poo
-I actually hate that there is no autosave for this game
-NPCs are dumb as hell (okay, that's more of just a thing in all of video games)
-What can and can't I unlock in sandbox mode because if I have to unlock combinations by leveling up then I don't know if I can do it.

To address some of these concerns:

- There are timers and yes, it sucks for most people. However it doesn't give you a "Game Over", you can keep playing even if you've technically failed the story mode.
- You can combo anything that has a wrench icon next to it, and you don't need cards. However, only certain combos actually work. To know if you have two compatible things, if you have an item selected the wrench will pulse along with the other thing in your inventory it works with. And without the cards, you just lose out on some XP or certain "power moves" unlockable only if you find the card.
- Yeah, waggling sucks, but just be thankful you have a controller because it sucks even harder waggling the mouse.
- There's technically an "autosave", in that every time you pass through a loading zone it checkpoints you. If you die and you forgot to save, you can simply load the checkpoint and you'll be back at the zone entrance with whatever you had at the time. If a boss was too hard for you, just walk away from the fight, get more supplies, whatever. And then go to a savepoint and actually do a hard save.
- No argument there, the NPCs are stupid but at least they're not as incompetent as the original Dead Rising.
- Again, you don't need cards for combos, cards only make the combos more powerful. You can also get certain combo cards by rescuing certain survivors or from posters in the environment. As for unlocks in Sandbox mode, there aren't any really. Sandbox mode is for dicking around, leveling up and earning money. If you complete every single challenge there's an unlock, though.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
I remember reading somewhere (so take it with a grain of salt) that the survivors in DR2 OTR have less health than regular DR2. Not sure if that's true, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

King Vidiot posted:

There are timers and yes, it sucks for most people. However it doesn't give you a "Game Over", you can keep playing even if you've technically failed the story mode.

Yeah, this is the key to understanding Dead Rising (at least the first two). It's built around the idea that you can completely gently caress up then keep playing, carrying over your progress into the next playthrough with a better understanding of where everything is.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
The story case timers run out and it goes "GAME OVER" and prompts last checkpoint/last save/restart story/quit like a baby. Even if it's the beginning of a case or something. I get it's on a schedule, just kinda sucks something like Case 2-1 they go "hey come back later when I have something" and right when the timer turns red they tell me to come back. I'm really early in the game but I get the impression the story forces you to progress through it so I guess I'll just go dick around in sandbox mode instead.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
One tip is give survivors guns, guns aren't super good for you but in the hands of survivors they have infinite ammo so they are great way to deal extra damage on a boss. Just be careful not to give them shotguns because they can blast you or other survivors if you're in a horde. Sniper rifles are the best way to go.

SteveMcQueen
Jun 16, 2005

Cable posted:

Is Europa Universalis 4 more accessible than CKII? I want to like these games because I love Civ5 and I know it takes some time until you understand them, but drat CKII is so complex.

I have tried to learn to play CKII 3 or 4 times because I'm such a Civ 5 fanatic but just cannot get into it. I've watched the Ireland tutorial videos and played alongside them, also read a couple introduction guides. It's annoying because everyone raves about that game. Let me know if you ever figure it out.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Cable posted:

I've never played CKII, but EU IV seems pretty drat complex to me. The tutorial doesn't cover but like a quarter of the functionality. As far as I can tell, you can't turn down the difficulty; the only thing you can do is start with a country that has a lot of advantages.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Accordion Man posted:

One tip is give survivors guns, guns aren't super good for you but in the hands of survivors they have infinite ammo so they are great way to deal extra damage on a boss. Just be careful not to give them shotguns because they can blast you or other survivors if you're in a horde. Sniper rifles are the best way to go.

Listen to this guy.

DON'T. EVER. Give them shotguns. My deaths tends to because the survivors shot me. You would think those fuckers would at least wait until I"m not in range. Bastards.

Also yeah, the gun mechanics are pretty awkward so it's best to just use everything that is not a gun. Or do what I do. PUNCH ZOMBIES. :colbert:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Cable posted:

There's no family simulator, but there's a much greater emphasis on trade (and the naval stuff is still broken as ever).

Doing war is a bit easier though since you have standing armies you can park at the guy's border before you go and kill them.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Shindragon posted:

Listen to this guy.

DON'T. EVER. Give them shotguns. My deaths tends to because the survivors shot me. You would think those fuckers would at least wait until I"m not in range. Bastards.

It's not just the damage either, they'll actually stunlock you and prevent you from getting up. The only hope you have for surviving a survivor shotgun onslaught is to hope that they kill all the zombies (so their AI stops targeting them) before they kill you.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

Cable posted:

I'm not really sure how to answer that, yes and no? It's a little easier to get started, but there's just as many, if not more, kinda hidden systems and rules that you'll never notice unless you read about it or see someone using it.

Maybe find a LP you can check out to see if it might interest you at all? I learned a lot of details about CK2 by watching Arumba play, he's also playing EU4 nowadays. Shenryyr2 is supposedly a very good EU4 player but he leaves all the loving popups on and constantly spam clicks them away, which is driving me nuts and I simply can't watch him.
I don't think there's any current, actual tutorial LPs. Every major patch changes a ton of stuff and any tutorial you may find is probably very outdated.
Here's a list of Paradox game LP channels: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?750302-Let-s-Play-PDS-List-of-Youtube-channels!

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Just cheat yourself money and paint the map pretty colors like me.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Cable posted:

CK2 isn't too bad. Pick Dublin and reference these guides and this wiki in general:
http://www.ckiiwiki.com/Beginner%27s_guide
http://www.ckiiwiki.com/Dublin_walkthrough

Honestly, the tutorial is pretty awful so I recommend just jumping right in and savescumming a bit for your first game and you'll learn how the game works pretty fast.

Jump in the deep end straight away.

Edit: Wow, looks like the wiki went down. There's another wiki and they're both good. Just pick Dublin and try to do what the second post of the SA thread suggests.

a7m2 fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Aug 3, 2014

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

PostNouveau posted:

As far as I can tell, you can't turn down the difficulty; the only thing you can do is start with a country that has a lot of advantages.

You actually can turn down the difficulty, both in terms of AI aggressiveness towards you and giving yourself extra bonuses (two separate settings, in case you only want one or the other).

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach
I thought eu4 was easier to get into because countries make more sense than dynasties

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.
I'm impressed by how well Trails in the Sky is doing. It's stuck to the Steam top 15 like gum on hot tarmac all week, and now the Midweek Madnesses have been replaced with kinda ropey weekend deals it's back into the top 10 again. I don't recall any of the Ys games doing this well on their respective launches, before you even consider the increase in competition since then. Sure, it ain't no Divinity: Original Sin, but for a localisation of a 2004 PC game, it's probably well into "here be dragons (made of money)" territory on Xseed's charts.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

How many actually good JRPGs are on Steam? Last Remnant could qualify, perhaps, and then there is Trails in the Sky and... ? Is that it? It's a niche that hasn't really been fulfilled.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

How many actually good JRPGs are on Steam? Last Remnant could qualify, perhaps, and then there is Trails in the Sky and... ? Is that it? It's a niche that hasn't really been fulfilled.

That's true. You can probably argue that Recettear would qualify as a JRPG, then there's all the Zeboyd Games' stuff, and you can probably argue that, port issues aside, Final Fantasy 7 & 8 would qualify. Also, the Ys games, although they're more action than RPG. Oh, and I guess Wizardry 6 through to 8 should be mentioned, given that series had a similar impact in Japan as Rogue did in the West.

That said, with the possible exception of Recettear, I don't think any of them have done as well as Trails in terms of money earned on Steam.

[Edit] And in "where the hell did that come from" news, CS:GO currently has 175k players and is third on the bestsellers list. It's gone from being the black duck of the Counter Strike franchise to becoming more populated than Team Fortress 2 (and second only to Dota), despite costing money up front. It's an impressive turnaround, to say the least.

[Edit 2] Hell, the most popular list is PC Gaming As We Know It: Dota 2, Counter Strike, Team Fortress 2, Football Manager, Civilization and a game made by a seventeen year old.

Delusibeta fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Aug 3, 2014

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Does Long Live the Queen count? Because that might just be my favorite game I bought during the sale.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Zedd posted:

Does Long Live the Queen count? Because that might just be my favorite game I bought during the sale.

That's a visual novel.

Anachronox should count as a jrpg, as its gameplay is identical. It's story is a billion times better, but even so. Still counts.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.
Fun fact looking at the stats screen: there's currently more people playing Spacewar, the Steamworks test game (2,321) than is currently playing Saints Row 4 (2,320) or Wolfenstein: The New Order (2,187). Or Trails in the Sky, for that matter (1,995).

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

Delusibeta posted:

Fun fact looking at the stats screen: there's currently more people playing Spacewar, the Steamworks test game (2,321) than is currently playing Saints Row 4 (2,320) or Wolfenstein: The New Order (2,187). Or Trails in the Sky, for that matter (1,995).

Pirates playing steamworks multiplayer spoofing the steamID, presumably.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

KoldPT posted:

Pirates playing steamworks multiplayer spoofing the steamID, presumably.

There's also some weird way of idling cards by running spacewar and spoofing the appid of the game you want to idle to Valve's card servers, or something.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Drifter posted:

That's a visual novel.

And also British. :v: Although I don't think LLTQ is a visual novel either, it's a some kind of a cross-breed.

I wouldn't be terribly surprised if more JRPGs and Japanese games in general slowly made their way to Steam since they seem to do quite well for the most part even if the Japanese themselves won't play them on PCs.

And I don't count Greenlight RPG Maker anime-style game #201513, mind.

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

There any Valdis Story experts here? The thread for it is kind of dead and I'm stuck against the final boss, specifically the second portion of it when it starts to heal itself with the vines. This part of the fight also involves me getting stunlocked into oblivion at various points. I just can't do enough damage to it fast enough to knock out the vines and then break the shield. Playing as Wyatt, with an agility-based build, if that helps. It wouldn't be so bad if I could just quit and start from the last boss again, but I have no interest in reaching the next-to-last boss, fighting it, doing the escape again, and then ending up at this part. I'm a couple of tries from youtubing the ending to this baby.

Not sure what it is with EndlessFluff and final bosses. The previous game I played from them had a final boss just as infuriating as this one though I beat it right before the "gently caress it, uninstall" urge kicked it.

Gitting gud really isn't option at this moment since I have no interest in reloading my previous save and getting back to this point. I've been able to handle most bosses on the first or second try but the big problem here is I'm not even making any progress forward. I just keep dying after doing x amount of damage. I'd like to cheese this if I could. Man, this game has been a really mix of pretty fun and frustration (timed puzzles and the like) but the ledger is starting to move in the wrong direction with this last boss. Will probably give it a few more tries and quit before it sours my thoughts on the rest of the game.

EDIT: Just beat it two tries later. It wasn't pretty. Wearing that F grade for the final boss with pride.

VVVVVVVVVVVVVV
I thought it was an alright game. I can definitely see, depending on one's sperg level, the game being really fun or the bane of your existence. There are an awful lot of timed puzzles to get chests where you have very little margin for error and some permanently missable stuff that's not made obvious it's going to be permanently missable. The latter I found pretty interesting since 100%'ing every game I play is not a thing for me, but the timed puzzles are just annoying.

The art is solid, though level design seemed a bit lifeless at times. Combat is pretty fun and there are multiple characters to play as and they do play differently. It's super-easy to find yourself getting stunlocked though, and you have to deal with Castlevania/La-Mulana-esque momentum issues when getting hit in the air and I can see that being an issue for some. Locking yourself into a couple of optional boss fights by mistake and having to revert to a previous save can happen as well. This is such a weird oversight since the game gates you so many ways but just completely overlooks this being an easily ran into problem. The harpy/siren enemy is a big pain no matter what part of the game you're at. Story and characters are rather terrible too.

An alright game, though certainly a bit frustrating at times.

Sivek fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Aug 4, 2014

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Everything I hear about Valdis Story makes it sound really amateurish, which is really sad, because it has a lot of elements of games I love that don't really get made much anymore. Here's hoping that Igarashi's studio gets off the ground quickly and announces a title for PC.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Beaten both Soul Suspect and Testament of Sherlock Holmes. Soul Suspect was pretty fun with the exception of the annoying stealth segments; Testament of Sherlock Holmes was a bad game. Bad by Frogware's standards too, imo. The pixel(polygon?) hunting is awful in this game and the "sixth sense" ability rarely picks up all the hotspots in the area. The story is somehow even more absurd and stupid than the Cthulhu game, but the Cthulhu game was not meant to be taken seriously, so they kinda hosed up on this one. And the ending just kinda happens and is.. even sillier.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Delusibeta posted:

I'm impressed by how well Trails in the Sky is doing. It's stuck to the Steam top 15 like gum on hot tarmac all week, and now the Midweek Madnesses have been replaced with kinda ropey weekend deals it's back into the top 10 again. I don't recall any of the Ys games doing this well on their respective launches, before you even consider the increase in competition since then. Sure, it ain't no Divinity: Original Sin, but for a localisation of a 2004 PC game, it's probably well into "here be dragons (made of money)" territory on Xseed's charts.

I think part of its success is how it's been propped up by RPG fans as "the one that never made it here." People have been talking it up for years and years, linking music (this song in particular got around quite a bit), and hyping it up as one of the only JRPGs developed natively for PC. It didn't make too much of splash when the PSP version came out, but as a PC JRPG with a bit of a cult following it garnered way more attention.

Like I said before, it doesn't do any one thing amazingly (save for the music), but everything just works well together and it has a lot of charm. It's easily the best JRPG to land on steam so far, and I hope this encourages developers to release more JRPGs on steam.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Anonymous Robot posted:

Everything I hear about Valdis Story makes it sound really amateurish, which is really sad, because it has a lot of elements of games I love that don't really get made much anymore. Here's hoping that Igarashi's studio gets off the ground quickly and announces a title for PC.

It's pretty fun, I didn't find any part of it that frustrating, although I completely understand where people are coming from with their complaints. My only real complaint about it was how short it was. I thought it was much better than Guacamelee which seems to get almost universal praise. I also thought it was a lot more fun and not as hard as Pid, although that's not quite the same type of game.

Erika
Feb 6, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Cable posted:

I played Europa Universalis 4 and I wanted to ask the same about Crusader Kings 2, I guess I know now.

Orv
May 4, 2011
The funny thing is CK2 and EU4 are far, far easier to get into than their previous iterations, but they're still Paradox main titles. Honestly if you already enjoy one then given how often they go on sale for tiny amounts, there's really no reason not to at least try the other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I think EU4 is a lot less hectic because there's a lot less to deal with, just play it on Easy to get a better feeling for it. Also turn off Lucky Nations.

• Locked thread