Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

Woah, I didn't expect the Gridman show to actually have Gridman as a character. I'll check it out!

I haven't seen FMP, and Gargantia is kind of an edge case because of the 5-6 eps I watched, the robot was just... there. Very minor character.

e: It's kind of like Exkaiser (which I love) - yes, technically Exkaiser has a personality, but it's so generic and doesn't go anywhere that it's like, why did they bother.
There was that Netflix show about space miners who upload their consciousnesses to robots, I forget what it was called but it was cgi I so I didn't watch it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Planet With has the robot be a character, in as much as the robot isn't a robot until it eats the pilot.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Planet With is really good.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I've been informed that GaoGaiGar has good robots in it, so that's on the docket now.

GorfZaplen posted:

There was that Netflix show about space miners who upload their consciousnesses to robots, I forget what it was called but it was cgi I so I didn't watch it

ID-0! The first ep was charming, I should finish it.

Darth Walrus posted:

Chamber does go somewhere in Gargantia. Not only that, but the main villain is the rogue mecha that once belonged to the hero's commanding officer.

.... I guess I'll return to Gargantia? Huh.

Droyer posted:

Planet With has the robot be a character, in as much as the robot isn't a robot until it eats the pilot.

:stare:

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rK3kuQ12rrw

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Gaogaigar has so much reused animation I think there are like 20 episodes in a 50 episode series. Final is dope though

busysignal
Nov 28, 2013
That first section where it's very "monster of the week" type stuff gets pretty tedious but the payoff is worth it.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Your Parents posted:

Gaogaigar has so much reused animation I think there are like 20 episodes in a 50 episode series. Final is dope though

It can't be as bad as Exkaiser, king of the 5 minute plots.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

It can't be as bad as Exkaiser, king of the 5 minute plots.

I mean they're the same franchise so the differences aren't huge in that regard.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

StrixNebulosa posted:

Woah, I didn't expect the Gridman show to actually have Gridman as a character. I'll check it out!

If you want a show in the Brave series style where not only is the main robot is it's own character, but the side robots that help out are also their own characters, then Gridman has that in spades.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

If you want a show in the Brave series style where not only is the main robot is it's own character, but the side robots that help out are also their own characters, then Gridman has that in spades.

It's also just a really good show in general.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

In fact, the robots are probably the most real people in the show, alongside the antagonist.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Droyer posted:

It's also just a really good show in general.

Yeah. Puts an interesting spin on the formula, too.

Instead of a teenager piloting a giant robot, a giant robot pilots a teenager.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
I just finished rewatching GaoGaiGar and while it's not as good as I remember, it's still entertaining and it definitely has a bunch of robot characters.

The fight against the final boss still rules, though.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I finally finished Armored Trooper VOTOMS. That last arc was quite fun- it really seemed like proto-Xenogears or something.

Chirico pretending to be an evil smug guy was great.

Love that grin.

Also one detail I really liked was Arrivano i Marines playing one last time when Wiseman is finally killed. Apparently it comes from a late Buster Keaton movie of all things- I'm not familiar with Keaton's later work as much but I love that guy so I'll track it down at some point.

I'm really glad I took the time to go through VOTOMS. Definitely one of my favorite 80's mecha anime now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3I1YIJsyvYY

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

MarsDragon posted:

I just finished rewatching GaoGaiGar and while it's not as good as I remember, it's still entertaining and it definitely has a bunch of robot characters.

The fight against the final boss still rules, though.

GGG is definitely a series that becomes better in your memory, because it's never outright bad (for what it is) but it can be quite forgettable at times. You'll blot out all the times Gunglue and Gundober were THE KEY TO VICTORY in favor of focusing on Projectile X or that time Chouryujin killed the dinosaurs.

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014

HitTheTargets posted:

GGG is definitely a series that becomes better in your memory, because it's never outright bad (for what it is) but it can be quite forgettable at times. You'll blot out all the times Gunglue and Gundober were THE KEY TO VICTORY in favor of focusing on Projectile X or that time Chouryujin killed the dinosaurs.

It's been about 20 years and all I can remember is THE POWER is always in caps.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

HitTheTargets posted:

The first, like, 18 episodes are very competent-but-forgettable fluff "yuusha robot fights irrelevant monsters of the week", then it gets really good around Pasdar. I think the back half of the show is a lot more consistently engaging because they throw in stuff like Chouryujin killing the dinosaurs.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I did it, I finished Might Gaine. Will prob. make a big post over the weekend.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i see gothicmade is being screened in theatres again

still no disc release

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Much like last time, tagging all the spoilers would make this post look like a CIA document, so consider this a general spoiler warning. With that said...

Brave Express Might Gaine - The Train One

Might Gaine tells the tale of Senpuuji Maito, teenage CEO of the Senpuuji concern and leader of the Brave Express, which fights crime in Nouvel Tokyo City. In many ways Might Gaine further explores several elements introduced by Da Garn. The Braves themselves have taken yet another step away from the Transformers and there is now nothing mystical about them, they are simply built by humans, artificial intelligence and all. Where Da Garn's villains were all working for the same goal (at least at first) Might Gaine has a proper rogue's gallery of different villains who have their own goals, motivations, modus operandi and reasons for opposing the protagonist, which makes the episodes feel more varied, although they all have to end in a robot fight due to the show's format.

The first major difference from all the previous Brave shows I noticed is that Might Gaine has a properly established setting. Exkaiser and Fighbird both take place vaguely in the future and Da Garn takes place in a nondescript town in what I think is supposed to be the present day, but Might Gaine goes out of its way to explain how its setting works and how it's different from our world. Even though this isn't hugely important in the long run it is something I appreciate. Also unlike the other shows, the first episode isn't an origin story. At the start of the show the Brave Express is already a known entity in the world, though we do get their backstory eventually.

Maito is very reminiscent of a superhero, with his backstory almost identical to Batman's. Making him a pilot who is actively involved in combat makes it easier to accept him as the leader of the robots even if the tactical decisions he makes aren't really more complex than Seiji's, but it does make it feel like they're straying away from what the Brave shows are about towards a more generic mecha show. His supporting human cast is also quite fun and varied, with all of them having different skills and abilities. I particularly liked that he and his love interest Sally actually got together in the end. Both Fighbird and Da Garn had hints of romance that never really went anywhere so it's nice to finally get some closure, even if Maito and Sally's romance mostly revolved around them blushing at each other and him occasionally saving her. The villains being completely separate from each other is a bit of a mixed bag, since while it does allow them to create more varied episodes it also means that there's almost no interaction between the different villains, which was one of the best parts of Da Garn.

I realize I'm starting to sound like a broken record, but once again the robot characters barely exist. Exactly like in Da Garn the main robot Gaine has a very generic heroic personality and the two support teams are only distinguishable by their speech patterns and their combination components might as well all be the same character. The idea to give the support teams specialized roles (rescue and combat support respectively) is nice in theory but in practice it doesn't change much. the combat team, the Bombers, just get outshone by Might Gaine and it's so rare that someone needs to be rescued that the rescue team, the Divers, don't feel like they actually have a distinct role. I should also mention, like the title of this post implies, that literally every Brave turns into a train one way or another. Might Gaine's final form is composed of five trains.

Unlike Da Garn Might Gaine does not have a single plotline running through the whole show, but most of the villains have their own subplots, some of which were unexpectedly gripping. I especially liked Wolfgang, the mad scientist, and Joe the Ace (and yes he is always called Joe the Ace), Maito's rival. Towards the end of the show all these separate subplots coalesce towards the battle with the final villain, of course. The single-episode plots are also more complex and nuanced than previous shows. I was not expecting an episode about a cyborg assassin coming to terms with his existence after finding God from this show. Some of them are also straight-up tragedies (if you're familiar with this show from SRW things don't go as well for Black Gaine as they do there) and earlier than I expected as well. The narrative that I've seen elsewhere online has always been that the show takes a dark turn right towards the end, but there was an episode that ended with a child sacrificing his life to stop the robot of the week as early as the teen episodes. This show seems more willing to kill people in general than the previous shows. unlike Da Garn where most of the robots of the week were autonomous or Exkaiser and Fighbird which always ended with the villains escaping, Might Gaine's villains have a seemingly endless supply of mooks, most of which straight-up die at the end of each episode and no one really mentions it.

I finally got what I've been asking for since Exkaiser in regard to the main robot's upgrades. Both main upgrades were preceded by Might Gaine (or its replacement Might Kiaser) getting straight-up beaten in a fight, and both times by Joe the Ace! This creates a wonderful escalation of threat since they actually have to upgrade simply because their current strength just isn't enough anymore. The only thing about it I find somewhat disappointing is that Joe, much like Seven Changer before him, joins the heroes' side halfway through the battle between his final robot, Gouryu, and the fully upgrade Great Might Gaine. It doesn't feel like you get a proper conclusion to their rivalry.

I think I would be doing this show a disservice if I didn't talk about the ending, so once again major spoiler warning.

There's a lot of misinformation about Might Gaine's ending online. The villain, Black Noir, does not say that their world was created to sell toys. They do however say that their world is a game, and that Black Noir is a player from the third dimension, which is why they can kill and do whatever else they want since nothing actually matters since none of the people are "real". While you could read that as riling against the toy companies, especially with how Might Gaine actually discards its upgrades before the final fight and how Black Noir was ultimately defeated due to Sally and not the robots, it's not nearly as explicit as a lot of places on the net would have you believe.

In conclusion, Might Gaine has a weaker overall plot than Da Garn but it has some of the best stand-alone episodes in the series so far and its relatively darker tone and varied rogues gallery makes it stand out. It has some of the same problems as the earlier shows but ultimately it was a show I like quite a lot. If you want a fusion between Brave and a more traditional mecha show you'll probably like Might Gaine.

Traditions:
The main robot gets damaged and replaced just like the previous shows, but the replacement is now a non-sentient robot piloted by the human main character. They still combine to form a second upgrade, but there's now yet another upgrade after that, with a third robot becoming a giant shoulder-mounted cannon for the combined robot.
Lion chest returns, but this time it's on Battle Bomber, one of the side team combiners, rather than the main robot.
Side teams are exactly the same as Da Garn: 1 set of 4 and 1 set of 3 that later gets a fourth member.
Despite being all trains this show managed 2 drill tanks and a drill train.
Just like in Da Garn a villain from the first half of the show joins the heroes in the second half.

Finally I should talk about the elephant in the room: the translation. I wanted this separate from the rest of the post since it isn't a fault of the show itself that it hasn't been translated properly yet. Unfortunately, the last fourth of the show still only has bootleg subs, and they're very bad. While I wouldn't say I know Japanese (I can't read or write it at all and I have no grammatical understanding of the language) I understand the spoken language, or at least how it's spoken in anime, well enough to follow along pretty well. If you don't think you can do that it's difficult to recommend this show, which is a shame. There is a translation project going on here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCF9sVC6j221fX5vhsFrDYVQ and here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoDPMGlZZFjPYg5t8NDZQ1Q. Unfortunately the first channel's sub are arguably worse than the bootleg subs, though they only did 3 episodes, and while the second channel is good it hasn't uploaded an episode for 5 months. Perhaps one day all of Might Gaine will be properly subbed, but it still seems far off.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Joe the Ace's real name is Joe Rival. Mightgaine is good?

EthanSteele fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Dec 23, 2018

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

EthanSteele posted:

Joe the Ace's real name is Joe Rival.

Debatable! While we see Joe Raibaru written on a wanted poster in one episode it's never actually spoken out loud, and his father's name is Professor Shishido. Personally I think the wanted poster is supposed to be a little joke about his role in the show and not to be taken as something that's literally true.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I like how in SRW V Joe is made to be one of Graham Acker's former soldiers.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
gently caress it then, Mightgaine sucks now.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I finished the first season of Magic Knight Rayearth. I was expecting something closer in tone to Escaflowne but it really reminded me a lot of Mashin Hero Wataru (Though perhaps not aimed at quite as young an audience as the latter is).

With that in mind I was pretty surprised by the turn Rayearth took in its last few episodes. Really looking forward to where this second season goes now.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

J-decker's weird but I'm into it?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Regalia is really bad.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Droyer posted:

J-decker's weird but I'm into it?

Why am I not surprised

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gripweed posted:

Regalia is really bad.

Mind going into more detail? I like knowing more about how bad anime messes up. Especially when giant robots are involved.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

chiasaur11 posted:

Mind going into more detail? I like knowing more about how bad anime messes up. Especially when giant robots are involved.

I'm only 8 episodes in, and I'll probably never see the last 5 so maybe all of my complaints are addressed but I'll never know. So take my criticisms with a grain of salt.

First off, nothing is explained. Why do these robots transform into little girls? That's the entire premise of the show, this girl is suddenly revealed to secretly be a giant robot, and absolutely no one asks any questions. Oh well, my sister is a giant robot and other giant robots are trying to kill or capture her or something. I'm not going to ask any questions or try to get any basic expository information about this. The fact that there was some kind of big robot war in the past and most of the robots were died, and 2,000 years later these are the only robots left alive, is finally explained like 6 episodes in, and it still leaves the basic question unanswered. Why do they turn into people? Who is that weird kid and why is he trying to capture the robots? Why do two of the robots have apparently human companions who don't age but the main robot's adopted sister does age?

I want to be clear, I'm asking these question, but no one in the show does. They aren't mysteries, because apparently no one in the show gives a poo poo about the answers or even considers them questions worth asking. They are the most bafflingly uninquisitive characters I've ever seen.

beyond that, it's not bad in any catching or entertaining way, it's just kinda lovely and very clearly no one put much thought into it. As an example, the main character, Yui, is the empress of the fictional country the show is set in. As of episode 8, that doesn't really matter. She could be just a normal girl and the show could be set in the real world and there would be very few and very small changes to the story. She doesn't even live in a castle, she lives in a small apartment with her sister. So far the main impact Yui being an empress has had are that A: people in her neighborhood like her because she's the empress, and B: because she's the empress, she refuses to let evil robots kidnap her sister. NEITHER OF THOSE REQUIRE HER TO BE AM EMPRESS! She could just be popular in her neighborhood because she's friendly, and she could just refuse to let evil robots kidnap her sister because she's her sister! It's such a weird loving choice.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

so basically nothing important is wrong with it

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

dogsicle posted:

so basically nothing important is wrong with it

But Regalia doesn't have anything else to offer. The characters are all flawless best friends, and there's a couple slice of life sequences early on that actually work OK with. But that's a small part of the show overall. If you're going to keep on watching it's going to be because you are interested in the plot. There's no drama and there's no drive because outside of "a robot is attacking me literally right now, I have to fight it" the characters do nothing to drive the plot forwards at all. To watch the show to the end you'd have to literally care more about the plot than the characters do.

There was another show a few years back that was just girls are friends and there's some robot fights, Rinne no Lagrange. It wasn't spectacular, but I still enjoyed it. Regalia feels like it tried and failed to be Rinne no Lagrange.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

leading with your main point being caring about lore details the show itself doesn't seem to, isn't much of critique of the show to me. and putting it down as something the staff didn't care about would seem ignorant and dismissive at face value, but the second layer here is that Regalia halted production midway and then did a full re-air of the show with fixes in order to improve the quality (obviously there are limits to this).

that stuff just gets under my skin in a way that makes me not really feel like entertaining whatever other points you want to throw out. Regalia had already been an interest for me because of the production issues, so i guess i'll just check it out for myself.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I hope you do watch it and post your feelings. I don't like not liking things so I'd be happy to find out from someone else perspective that there's something to Regalia that I missed. I just can't find anything to it, it's got nothing, it has no selling points. There's nothing I can grab on to to be interested in the show

I do want to be clear though, I never said the staff didn't care. I know people who do animation work really hard and I'm sure they cared about what they were doing. But I will stand by my comment that big parts of the story and world don't seem to have much thought put into them.

Gripweed fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jan 11, 2019

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

oh that's fair, i read the comment of it lacking thought worse than was intended it seems.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gripweed posted:

beyond that, it's not bad in any catching or entertaining way, it's just kinda lovely and very clearly no one put much thought into it. As an example, the main character, Yui, is the empress of the fictional country the show is set in. As of episode 8, that doesn't really matter. She could be just a normal girl and the show could be set in the real world and there would be very few and very small changes to the story. She doesn't even live in a castle, she lives in a small apartment with her sister. So far the main impact Yui being an empress has had are that A: people in her neighborhood like her because she's the empress, and B: because she's the empress, she refuses to let evil robots kidnap her sister. NEITHER OF THOSE REQUIRE HER TO BE AM EMPRESS! She could just be popular in her neighborhood because she's friendly, and she could just refuse to let evil robots kidnap her sister because she's her sister! It's such a weird loving choice.

Wait.

They have the empress of a country... live in a small apartment.

That's... I mean... why? One of the traditional perks of having a protagonist who's royalty is setting things in a big palace. Small apartments are for regular people protagonists.

We have visual shorthand for a reason!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Regalia opens with a ten years previous prologue showing a robot going overload or something and destroying a country. Like five episodes in an emissary from that country delivers an ultimatum to Yui, the Empress of the nation the show is set in. And her advisers are like, "that country was destroyed ten years ago and everyone died." "Oh look, that mysterious person who spoke with Yui at the cafe looks identical to the teenage empress of the destroyed country, she hasn't aged day" "Yes, all of this is true." Nobody investigates or is really bothered by the fact that they're being threatened by a nation that no longer exists, they all just take in stride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

chiasaur11 posted:

Wait.

They have the empress of a country... live in a small apartment.

That's... I mean... why? One of the traditional perks of having a protagonist who's royalty is setting things in a big palace. Small apartments are for regular people protagonists.

We have visual shorthand for a reason!

The thing about production problems makes the series make more sense to me. Thinking back to it, in the first episode Yui and her sister have a little bit of dialogue about not seeing each other much recently, and I can easily imagine that at that point the idea was that Yui lived in the castle and her sister lived in the apartment alone. Yui was just dropping by to cook breakfast and catch up. But later on in the show they just both live in the apartment.

Like initially there was going to be a plotline about Yui and her sister growing apart because they lived separately, Yui was growing up while her sister stayed a child, Yui was the empress and her sister was an immortal ancient fighting robot, etc. But during the production troubles it got dropped and they ended up living together and having no problems.